Grand Canyon University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Grand Canyon University Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2018

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email to complete a phone interview with an HR rep. Did an in person interview with same HR Rep. Then did a final in person interview with panel of managers

Interview Questions

• STAR- Tell me a time where you did not keep your promise to a customer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

It started with a phone interview and then moved onto a panel interview. Once the panel interview was completed, it was about a week before I was offered the job via phone with a job offer via email.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview that went really well. Then had to do a writing sample. Had 24 hours to do this, just answer sample emails. Then I was called to set up a time to meet with the Program Manager. Was told it was casual and to meet at a coffee shop. I thought I did really well and had a good connection. Boy, was I wrong! The next day all I got was a generalized "no reply" message from their HR Department saying that basically liked someone else and that was the end of that.

Public Safety Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

During the interview, they asked questions in a very professional manner and gave time for you to also ask questions in return. If you did not understand something they went out of their way to explain it in a different way. Also was light-hearted and told stories of past events.

Dissertation Chair Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

A lot of questions about Christian values, very little. They are in dire need of PhD adjuncts, as turnover rate is very high; most quit very quickly. Hiring process is a joke. You have 3 weeks of unpaid online training, that is more about GCU covering their assets, than really training new hires. Horrible experience from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. They really need bodies to fill open courses.   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

The position posted was labeled as a professor "online," so I assumed, like most positions this was a remote application. Within the day I applied, I received an email requesting times for an initial phone screening. The individual called me the next day and went over basic interview questions, like "when are you available to start' and "explain a time you had to work with a student during a personal issue." In addition, I was told the salary starts at 50-55 a year, which is rather low for a position requiring a PhD or EdD, and the position is in a cubicle setting in the administration office of GCU. The position has specific hours you need to work, such as 11-7 or 12-8pm, and on Fridays it is 8-5pm. There is no flexibility in the schedule, and the position may allow for one day of working remote after a year. The interview led to follow up requests from faculty and department chairs requiring transcripts

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to show excellent customer service.   1 Answer

Instructional Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

The recruiter just described what the job position was all about and told me that she would get back to me with the further interview process. The recruiter also explained the university dress code and what was expected of me in this position.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Sacramento, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was originally referred by the position by a GCU employee. HR Talent Acquisition reached out within a week asking to set up a phone interview. The interview was pretty basic - see questions below - then she asked me to fill out a writing sample. This consisted of three scenario based prompts you might encounter as a counselor. Once I sent that back a secondary interview was set up with the regional manager.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience connect to this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you look for in your next employer?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in leaving your current position?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What functions can you use in Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1 - 10 how proficient are you with computers?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you ok with the 60 hour work week?   Answer Question

Account Executive-Online Division Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Albany, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Indeed Job link, heard back via email within a few days requesting a time for a phone screening. Interview was 30 min long with an HR person. VERY basic interview with questioning focused on my resume, pay with corresponding companies and highlights of my sales accomplishments. Nothing creative with the questions here. HR person spent a significant amount of time explaining that training would be in AZ starting on 9-5-17 and continuing for 2 weeks. Then back to AZ for 4 days in mid-October. Asked if I had any conflicts with these dates or the travel. HR explained pay structure which is NOT negotiable. Interesting, I've never had the experience in an interview where they tell you the pay and to pretty much take it or leave it. The position was advertised at $65k and that was the "Level 1" pay. Quota metrics were based on how many new students you get to enroll with the online program, 28 for Level 1. In a year you are eligible for level 2, 40 students @$70k, year 2 Level 3, 50 students @ $75k. In the subsequent year you have the option of going to level 4, 60 students @$90k.
    Also discussed was free tuition and some other benefits. Kind of a weird situation/place. I have been out of full time work for over 2 years but doing consulting on the side, so I said yes to everything question related to my availability.
    I was asked how many years experience in Higher Education I had, I said more than 25 yrs. In hindsight I would guess my age scared them off, I was not asked to continue to the next stage. Odd since my background in HE sales and as a training coach fit nicely into the job responsibilities which included walking prospective students through financial aid and admissions applications. Sounds like a lot of hand holding.

Interview Questions

• If hired will you continue with your consulting business?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University in August 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application for the position within a week I received an email requesting a phone interview to be scheduled for the next day. The interview was easy with most of the questions asking you to describe your positions listed on the resume. The recruiter also asked what was the pay for each position. In the end, I didn't move on to the next stage of the interview process, which was weird because I do the exact same thing at my current job. The school would have been new to the area and it would have made sense for them to move forward with the person from the major competitor in the area who did the duties they were asking for. I received a standard rejection letter with no explanation.