Groupon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

One of the best experiences I could have asked for in an interview. First, I had a short call with a recruiter who gave me an overview of the position, company, and what I could expect from the process. The follow-up interview was with a senior data scientist and focused on machine learning theory as well as a technical discussion on previous work experience. The call ended with the interviewer mentioning that I had a great background and a solid technical foundation, but not enough experience for this specific position. They also pointed out potential areas I could improve on going forward. I can't overstate how incredibly refreshing it was to speak to an interviewer so honest and straightforward. I may have not gotten the position at Groupon, but I do believe it to be a significant reflection on their workplace culture when their employees go out of their way to display such authenticity to potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• Questions stemmed from my previous work experience and would only be applicable to me   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Pretty standard Silicon Valley style interview. 2 high levels with team fit and work ethics, 2 technical interiview writing code on the board, and 1 HR /Hiring manager type interview

Customer Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

The 3 people who interviewed me were very nice. However they were not organized and the interview was all over the place.

It didn't take to long. The first was the boss the second was the assistant and third was the other person with the position I interviewed for.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, then Skype with hiring manager, then in person with 7 people. Very focused on the business oriented questions with the senior leaders and other partners asked more behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news to a team and how you made sure it was heard. Tell me about a time when you had to turn around a low performer. Tell me about a time when you had multiple competing priorities and how you kept the team on track to deliver. Lots of business/hypothetical questions from those involved - how would you approach this etc.   1 Answer

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Two sets of phone interviews with a rotating roster of hiring managers and department managers. Absolutely amazed that I flew through the last round of interviews to be told I would be contacted for next steps. I followed up with a thank you email...then nothing. TWICE. These are kids with no concept of professionalism and follow-through. If I'm not qualified that's fine, but I don't think it's asking too much for employers to have the decency to let candidates know one way or another where they stand in the process. Very disappointed with Groupon's lack of professionalism.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was straight forward about my experience, talking about the position and compensation. Came in a few days later for an interview. Met two different managers that interviewed based on my ability and experience in sales. I had none. Emailed a follow up that night, didn't hear anything until a week.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you ran out of time to complete your task?   Answer Question

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Was emailed about potential fit. Thirty-minute call was straightforward, and the recruiter was stoic but positive. Was thrown off after not making it to the next steps, as I thought the call went well.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a dissatisfied customer or vendor?   Answer Question

Senior IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was delightful. The recruiter took care of you all steps of the way. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Of all the companies I interviewed with, this is the only place where they don't ask data structure/algo just for the sake of it. All of the interview question was wrapped in real life case study, which makes it very interesting to solve. You still need to know your algo/ds though.

The architecture question was pretty standard compared to other companies.

The best part was debugging interview which I haven't encountered before. To solve this you really need to know how iOS works including UIKit, GCD, CoreAnimation, etc. I think other companies should definitely ask this question to gauge engineer's experience instead of another binary tree problem.

Offer was actually really good, but I had other offer in different field.

Definitely recommended.

Interview Questions

• Lots of logic problem solving, architecture, debugging, culture.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

The interview process was a joke - I came in as a temp to hire and they knew right away that I was a top performer. They intentionally halted my hiring to avoid providing additional incentives around the time of their IPO.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to handle a refund request where the caller was being belligerent.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

1st it was the phone interview second an in person interview. They will either call you to come in person for the second interview or schedule a skype inter if your unable to attend.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about walking them through your resume and then getting to know you.   1 Answer