Groupon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rich Williams

2,021 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unreasonable expectations for work-life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management was continuously changing without a clear direction or strategy (in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraging and fun culture, great training, competitive and uncapped commission, room for upward growth, great work life balance

Cons

Quick shifts and changes in policy, must be adaptable to change

Advice to Management

Identify solid sales reps and foster their growth, listen to their feedback

2. "Great place for software engineers to work"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great co-workers, flexible work hours, unlimited vacation policy, free food (in Palo Alto location), casual/relaxed work environment, public transit benefit, open to remote work arrangements.

Cons

Space in Palo Alto office is kind of cramped. Annual review procedures seem to change every year, so it's hard to take them seriously.

Advice to Management

Primary focus on core business. With ancillary businesses (food delivery and beauty/salon scheduling), it sometimes seems like we acquire businesses before adequately seeing if incorporating their business makes sense. And then when they don't, we pull the plug really quickly.

3. "Great Place"

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and learn

Cons

None I can think of

4. "Great Place to be!"

I have been working at Groupon full-time

Pros

great PTO, company culture, and management

Cons

there really are no cons

5. "Great place to gain experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams are lean, giving younger people the opportunity to grow very quickly. The people are kind and caring.
    Cool offices and great basic benefits.

Cons

The promotional process is not clear and it doesn't feel like working hard and taking on more responsibility is always the path to increase your compensation.
    Everyone talks about issues and retention, but it doesn't seem like there are actual actions being made to change these trends.

Advice to Management

Focus on actionable results from the important goals and communicate progress on that, not just conversations.

6. "A great stepping stone"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in Getaways which is a growing and profitable part of the business. The management goes out of their way to keep the sales staff happy. For example, my territory is in Houston and when Harvey hit they paid commissions out on revenue that the company didn't make to make up for lost deals.

Cons

Getaways doesn't really fit into the overall strategy of the company and there are a lot of growing pains that come along with it.

"Inventory Mgmt Analyst - Good 1st Job"

Pros

Collaborative environment; strong sales training

Cons

Hard to chart a career trajectory

Advice to Management

Invest in employee education both in and out of office (toolset skills, etc)

"Customer Support Representative"

I worked at Groupon full-time

Pros

Friendly people
    Good benefits
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

Management doesnt seem to know what they are doing

"I love working at Groupon"

Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High level of expertise in colleagues. A great sense of camaraderie and coordination between the product, project, and programming. Great work-life balance. Just generally a nice place to work with really nice people. Oh, and free Fro-Yo!

Cons

None. Well, California is really expensive. But that's not Groupon's fault!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Merchant Development Representative"

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick disclaimer, many of the "pros" that are listed below are about the company as a whole and the "cons" are mainly found in the Merchant Development department.

Pros:
    1. Relaxing and welcoming office environment which helps employees be their "authentic" selves when they come into work everyday.

2. Free building shuttle service which helps employees cut down costs on public transportation

3. Unlimited free coffee/drinks however snacks are not provided.

4. Results driven culture that aims to reward primarily based on numbers alone. HR only requires a short term commitment before being eligible towards looking for new roles in the company.

5. Despite being results driven, team members are always willing to provide extra support to new and current employees to help them hit their numbers every quarter.

Cons

It's unfair for me to list a bunch of "cons" and make it seem like the "cons" are representative of the company as a whole. The "cons" that I have experienced were mainly found in the Merchant Development department.

1. In MD, you start as an MD rep and you can get promoted to higher positions. The issue is that there is not many opportunities available to get promoted within a single year. As a result, the department experiences high turnover at the "rep" level. Interviews can only happen once every 6 months or so and while up to 5 or 6 reps can be qualified to interview, there is usually only 2 or 3 spots available. So for most reps, it does not make sense to stay committed to the MD department, since they cannot be guaranteed to experience consistent growth in their careers.

2. Groupon is a data driven company. However in MD, it seems that leadership does not understand the context behind the sales data that they are working with. This results in reps being goaled on accounts that are either "out of business" or are just too small to handle the number of customers that are required to hit their specific revenue target.

In addition, management looks at the number of accounts that leave Groupon within your book of business and uses that to determine your overall performance. Churn is a standard way to determine how well an account manager is doing in their job. However, since we do not offer a membership and allow merchants to leave at any time, then reps have no way of being able to control this metric and are put at a disadvantage when compared to other reps who might not have had as many requests from their clients to leave the site. At the end of the day, this sets you up for failure.

3. Another reason for high turnover has to do with the non-competitive pay and commission structure that's offered to MD reps. Many reps cannot justify waiting 1-2 years for a small promotion when they can find easily find another company in Chicago and make a lateral move and still end up making at least 10k more a year.

4. Finally, this is something that bothers me personally but there is no reason for managers trying to control exactly when reps come into work and leave work. If an employee is consistently coming in 15 minutes late to work or always leaves early then that should be addressed with the employee. However, if someone is 10 minutes late or needs to leave at 4:50 pm then it is unreasonable to expect them to make up for the 10 minutes on another day. We're all adults here. We understand that punctuality is important but life happens and this job does not justify us being treating like we're in high school.

Advice to Management

Have respect for your reps. Don't look at them as naive millennials. The MD reps are hungry and motivated and they care immensely about their careers. If growth opportunities are not available in MD, then at least make sure your reps are learning something from you everyday. Focus more on instilling and practicing sales techniques as opposed to reading off last weeks numbers. Spend less time keeping track of how many times they're away from their desk and more time on helping them build a strategy for their book.

Showing 2,021 of 2,113 reviews