Groupon Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

3.6
Groupon Interim CEO Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper
Pros
  • "A great work environment with motivated relaxed team members and helpful senior management(in 206 reviews)

• "Wonderful Culture and no dress code(in 160 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Weird upper management at Rocket(in 84 reviews)

• "Company really care more about its merchants(in 71 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Groupon and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great collaborative culture; interesting work

Feb 8, 2021 - Vice President in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The People! The energy and innovation of the employees; diversity of work and opportunities to excel, if talented

Cons

Going through growing pains as we weather pandemic and new strategy

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great people make great companies

Dec 18, 2020 - Operations in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership Communication Company culture Investment in remote working

Cons

Tough market during Covid Tendency to add unnecessary complexity to systems and processes

3. 3.0

Great People, Tough Culture

Apr 30, 2021 - Merchandising Specialist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

1.) The people at Groupon are amazing for the most part. Your peers will lift you up and work cooperatively. The same goes for most of your direct management. 2.) The flexibility is great. As long as your work is done timely and well, no one seems to care if you're putting in 40 hours. 3.) Good benefits. Other than unlimited PTO (which has pros and cons), I would say Groupon's benefits package is average.

Cons

1.) Very little upward mobility. The company talks about career progression a lot, but isn't proactive about retaining its workforce. Promote people when they do great work, give them titles and raises commensurate with the new responsibilities they take on. 2.) Pay in general. It is on the low-end of competitive unless you are in product & engineering or high levels of management. 3.) Company talks a lot about culture and they have created a dynamic workforce, but the institution itself doesn't do much of the heavy lifting when it comes to improvements. That all comes from employees going above and beyond.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best Culture Yet!

Apr 1, 2021 - Fraud Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a long overdue review! I loved the people and excellent work-life balance. From hackathons to the volunteer program to the various employee resource groups, there were plenty of opportunities for you to grow professionally and personally. It was an all-around super fun and wonderful environment going to work knowing that everyday I was contributing to supporting local businesses and keeping the local flavor alive! I made so many genuine friends here that I still keep in touch with. To this day, Groupon remains to be the best culture I have ever encountered and I truly miss it! Every company that I have been at after Groupon falls short in every aspect of what makes for a wonderful workplace!

Cons

It pains me that I'm not at Groupon anymore. I wish I was still working here! So sad that the Palo Alto office has closed and is now a WeWork.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place for career growth and learning potential!

Apr 19, 2021 - Associate Product Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Challenging subject-matter (if you are in a technical role) - Groupon encourages personal and professional development - Focus on D&I initiatives - Flexible work-schedule + work-life balance - Unlimited PTO - Lots of great perks

Cons

- Lots of growing pains as the company has adjusted to the pandemic - New hire onboarding needs improvement for product & engineering hires

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Couldn't Imagine Liking Work More... Honestly.

Apr 16, 2021 - Software Development Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are constantly around smart people. You are encouraged to learn (both about business-related things and things you want to learn on your own). Moving up the career ladder is fairly transparent. The office (food, decor, etc.). And... Cats.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the remote work policy - you have to work in one of the offices (depending on what your role is).

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

So much potential, terrible leaders & strategies

Apr 8, 2021 - Business Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

It remains a great business concept - we own the local market - and some very smart people work(ed) here - or did, before they were laid off, or got smart and left. A few smart loyalists left though.

Cons

The worst churn I’ve ever seen. Leadership finds a ‘whim’ to follow (with no actual diligence/sizing) mandates a timeline without understanding feasibility, then let’s it run (poorly) for 15 minutes before deciding it didn’t work & starting the process anew. And it’s ALL in silo’s - so the ‘matrix’ org means it’s happening 360 degrees around you - and should you object to the 80hr weeks - you aren’t dedicated “and should get off the bus” (actual quote from leadership.) Add a 10x to however frustrating you could envision that to be & you’re close. Also people are leaving in droves, and those left are all doing 3-4 of there peers old jobs (with no change in pay) while using their spare time to job hunt...

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fun environment. Fast Paced.

Apr 28, 2021 - Merchant Development Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO. Great place to meet interesting people / make connections.

Cons

High turnover. Quarterly "vision" is sometimes poorly communicated/executed

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Welcome to the frat house

May 7, 2021 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are a favorite, you do what you want.

Cons

Corporate politics are run like a frat house.

10. 5.0

Best Place I Have Worked At

Apr 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

For me, Groupon checks all of the boxes. Immediate management and upper management are always trying to improve the company and the work environment for employees. They are aware that a company needs to constantly adapt and keep the employees in mind.

Cons

I haven't encountered any downsides

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,021 Reviews