Groupon Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Groupon Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Interviews at Groupon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

There are 2 phone screenings. The first person was, ok, the second one had a heavy Chinese accent I could barely understand a word. He also seemed rather rude even though I found the solution.

HR is a mess -- for the first attempt to setup the phone screening, the coordinator was supposed to confirm the date & time but instead she "went out of town". She apologized and and eventually setup both interviews. However after the second interview they decided to ignore me. I haven't heard from them in 7+ days so I turned them down. Very unprofessional, I would not recommend applying for any job there.

Interview Questions

• Implement a stack using a queue.   Answer Question
  • Now implement a queue using a stack.   1 Answer
  • You have an unsorted list of consecutive integers. One of them is missing, find it. Write test cases for it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Groupon (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole process was really quick and well-organized. First, there was a 1-hr phone interview with coding question using Coderpad. Then it was a 5 1/2 hr on-site interview. Each person interviewed me for one hour; they asked about the technologies, design, testing, and a coding problem. The coding was not too difficult, mostly around strings and algorithms. They were all very pleasant to talk to and friendly.
    I did very well during the interview, except that I misunderstood one question, and it decided the deal. The recruiter gave me very helpful and detailed feedbacks which I really appreciated. All other companies usually didn't tell you much the real reasons behind the decision.

Interview Questions

• The questions were around strings and arrays. Nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

There were 4 rounds of interview:
    (1)HR round - normal questions like interests,location and preference etc.HR was very helpful too.
    (2)Hiring manager -1 //interview -1
    Given string is palindrome or not(Inlace without using extra buffer)
    (3)Hiring manager -2 //interview -2
    Given a number n - give me the first n prime numbers
    (4)On-site interview for continuously 5 hours with 5 different persons

Interview Questions

• (1)Given string is palindrome or not(Inlace without using extra buffer)
      (2)Given a number n - give me the first n prime numbers (Improve efficiency of code)
      (3)Fizz-buzz type question
      (4)Given a string(for e.g.,abc) and an array of strings(s1,s2,....sn) ->
      return an array of boolean values based on if a string s1 can be made from the characters of string(abc)
      (5)Find the duplicates in an array.
      (6)Given an architecture of an application - find the best ways to test it and make sure that how can we deliver quality products.
      (7)Behavioral questions like conflict with a team-member etc.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

Contacted them via their webpage per the job description and was contacted by their recruiter via email to set up a time for a technical phone screen.

Upon conversing with the other SDET, I was clear about my background and experience and what I was looking for, though his description of the role seemed to be counter to what my view was and my understanding of the online job description.

As we worked through the coding exercise, I hadn't had a lot of familiarity with the Queue class in .Net and was asking questions to try to implement it correctly, since there was no intellisense in the online tool we were using. His tone to my questions grew more condescending in nature as the interview went on. I kept my temper down, but it is not encouraging to try to answer a question when you have someone ask about your experience in a demeaning way. I went over again my experience and where I may not know something, and he stated that the recruiter would be in contact. I had the rejection email within 2 minutes of hanging up.

It's fine to not be qualified for a job at all, but you can at least be nice to the person you're talking with. Maybe it was a bad day, but that was rude.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Stack using the Queue class with given methods Enqueue, Dequeue and Count.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

There were two phone screens both being technical after the initial recruiter chat. Thereafter I was invited to their headquarters for an onsite interview which had 4 rounds each being a little under an hour long. Later I had another phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Ranged from writing test cases and sample automation for deals page, sign on page to writing code for finding the middle element in a file and some data mining questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Groupon (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Not aware of further process yet. Was asked to use a tool for coding. In that interviewer was able to see what I am typing. Made few mistakes while coding. Interviewer helped me in repairing them. Option to choose your favorite coding language.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. Implement Queue using stacks.
      3. Find first non-repeated character in a given string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Groupon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for about a position, After a short discussion, we moved on to scheduling first phone screen. Recruiter was very welcoming and scheduled the Phone screen really fast.

The Person who interviewed me for the phone screen had a strange accent and started off directly with a technical questions right off the bat without any introduction. He started of with some testing questions for 5 minutes and quickly moved on to the coding part in next 10 mins. The coding part was a simple java problem - (No Worries if you are very good at programming). I discussed multiple approaches to solve the problem and every reply i received was like - no big deal just solve the problem. I wasn't able to complete the problem on time, but i tried explained the logic i had coded. Then we moved on to writing test cases for the code i wrote. I wrote a lot of them covering different areas - positive, negative, edge, security, load etc.

Got the Rejection email next day. I guess they are looking for deeply technical coders rather than test engineers. Prepare well. Best of Luck for anyone who is giving the interview!!

Interview Questions

• Function to return sum of 2 very Large numbers ( Around 10000 digits)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Firstly, there was 2 phone screening interview, they basically ask data structure and algorithm questions. The first one was to find second most frequent number in the array and second one was the word ladder problem. Then, I was invited to on -site and there was 5 round , each round was almost an hour. They have asked many testing questions,agile and algorithm problems .

Interview Questions

• remove duplicates in an array in-place, dynamic programming, spiral matrix, median of two sorted array and clone graph question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1.Contacted by HR on linkedin.
    2. Phone conversation with HR.
    3. Got a programming exercise to do in a week. Pretty simple
    4. Onsite interview with 5 developers/SDETs and HR

The first two SDET have been there for less than 6 months and were pretty clueless when it came to the interview. Asked me how I would test some service that they use at Groupon. Their questions were pretty vague and pointless. Asked about recursion and design patterns

Second round with VP of engineering was a great conversation about algorithms
     - how would you select 100 random lines from a file with a 1 million lines. Cant read the file into memory

- given an int array with ints from 1 -1000. Some of the numbers are missing. Find those numbers

- Lunch interview with 2 SDETs. Casual conversation about position and past experience

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2017.

Interview

Step 1 : Somebody from HR described me about the position ,

Step 2 : Telephone Screen - A senior guy who joined the company very recently interviewed me , his questions were highly vague and no where close to the position. Very disappointing . But I gave my best.

Step 3: Waiting for HR call about the feedback

Step 3: Waiting for HR call about the feedback
    Step 4: Waiting for HR call about the feedback
    Step 5: Waiting for HR call about the feedback
    Step 6: Waiting for HR call about the feedback
    Step 7: Waiting for HR call about the feedback

After a very long wait I called up HR to know about the outcome but he told I need to wait for 2 more days .

Finally after a longggggggggggg wait I got a rejection email.

Great process and great company.