IMF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at IMF

1. Featured Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Remote, OR) in August 2018.

Interview

Very interesting process. Asked about data skills, your past experience, and a couple of macro economics questions. Overall the interview is not hard, and the panel are usually very nice.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

It was very conversational. All behavioral questions. Interviewer clearly wanted to get to know if I can manage time well and follow instructions. We figured out my schedule for work together. Overall it was a great and friendly interview. Got the offer a week after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you showed flexibility.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in August 2008.

Interview

They are more interested in how well you will fit in the organization, than how well prepared you are. There are a couple of technical questions but nothing challenging. Be confident and you ll have them at hello. :)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process is quite straightforward. And I was given a second round of interview with the direct supervisor. But the waiting for the interview on that day was relatively long. The process was pleasant.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

interview with a Headhunter over skype. the interviewer is nice and the process is casual. didn't last long. at this stage, most people pass as long as you didn't screw it.

Interview Questions

• how you work with people, how you deal with disagreement, etc.   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in April 2011.

Interview

submitted resume on a campus recruiting fair. Got a call for the telephonic interview after 2 weeks. Phone interviews was resume based entirely. Asked each and every detail about the resume bullets. Was asked to submit some documents depicting previous works with tools like visio, power point etc
    Was called for final round after a week. Final round was in IMF global headquarters in Washington DC. Its one of the amazing offices I have seen ever!! Same person interviewed me for the final round. It was a very intellectual interview round and was asked detailed questions about the technology used so far, MBA studies and some behavioral. It was 2 hrs long but very calm and did not feel any pressure.
    Was given the offer after 3 weeks. Gladly accepted the offer for internship.

Interview Questions

• Was asked questions about the knowledge management, enterprise architecture etc   Answer Question

Training Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a pre-recorded interview that lasted approximatively 15 minutes or so. HR provided a link with instructions how to conduct the interview. You get the plenty of time to practice and get comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions

• What are the most common challenges when delivering a training program in a multinational organization? What tools do you use/apply to develop a training program?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

The first communications I received from the IMF was an automated email inviting me to come in to take a typing and Excel proficiency test. The typing test rates candidates based on accuracy and speed; the Excel proficiency test tests you on basic commands (no VBA was required).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was answering questions about experience that I didn't have. Getting in touch with them after the interview was nearly impossible.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IMF.

Interview

One on one interview that lasted for about an hour. I was asked the usual questions; why do you want to work here, where do you see yourself in 3 years and the like

Interview Questions

• Interview was pretty standard. My interviewer did most of the talking.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF in August 2013.

Interview

Was called for an interview for the following day. Interviewed by three people, one from the department I would be working in and two others from HR. The interviewers spoke most of the time.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly specific situation-type questions. For instance, what would you do if you had two managers giving you an assignment and you only have time to complete one. Asked if I would rather have a really great job at a not-so-great company or a not-so-great job at a great company. They also asked if I was comfortable with staying late and working overtime.   Answer Question

Senior Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This has been one of the most drawn out, long and tedious application processes I've ever encountered. The entire process from application to getting an answer took 4 months. First, I applied online and did not hear back for one month. There are 4 big hoops to jump through just to get to an in person interview:

1. Webcam recorded interview
    2. Phone DDI assessment
    3. 100 question behavior assessment
    4. Writing assessment
    5. In person panel interview in DC

Webcam interview: 9 questions are given over a website and you only get about 30-60 seconds to reply to each question. You cannot view the questions in advance and you only have 1 shot at answering the question. If you mess up, you cannot redo.

Phone DDI assessment: A 3rd party calls you and talks to you for an hour. The first half hour is a role playing scenario for which they only give you 5 minutes to prepare. I found this incredibly stressful and the scenarios have little to nothing to do with the actual position advertised. The second half hour the administrator asks you questions based on your professional experiences and they want you to answer in the STAR format: situation, task, action, result.

Behavioral assessment: a very long list of questions and how you would respond, in a multiple choice format.

Writing assessment: You are given two memos which you need to edit using track changes.

In-person panel interview: You are flown to DC for a 4 person panel interview. The interview is incredibly intense. You are asked 12 questions in only 1 hour and each question may have 2 or 3 parts. No one gives you a glass of water or gives you a break from the questions. Bring a notebook and a pen because some of the questions are complicated.
    Questions asked: (I don't remember all of them)

1. Describe a time when you made a unilateral decision in a crisis, the circumstances, were you 2nd guessed, by whom and how you responded.

2. How do you give security advice to non-security professionals?

3. 30% of the IMF staff is female. What travel advice do you have for them?

4. Describe a time when you took someone under your wing and what did you do?

5. How do you overcome a skill deficiency?

6. How do you manage your time, especially for time sensitive projects?

7. What is your greatest skill as a supervisor?

8. Describe a time when you lead a team during a crisis. What was the situation and what did you do? What was the outcome?

After my in person panel interview, I heard nothing for 4 weeks. After a month, I sent an email to the HR representative and politely asked for an updated timeline. No answer. A few days later, I received a generic email stating that I wasn't picked for the position.

Overall, I would not recommend anyone I know to apply to any organization in the World Bank Group again. The process is incredibly stressful and anxious. I had to take time off from work to complete their many time consuming assessments and fly to DC. The HR is very demanding and doesn't give you much time to complete their assessments (completely disregarding the fact that some of us have full time jobs to complete at the same time). Then after the final round interview, they drop off the face of the earth and ignore you and pretend you never existed. I strongly believe that if I had not sent an email asking for an update, they would not have informed me of my rejection until another month later or possibly, never. I am disappointed that the Fund failed to convey their decision in such an untimely manner.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you lead a team during a crisis. What was the situation and what did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question