Indus Valley Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Indus Valley Partners Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2017

2.9

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners.

Interview

Do yourself a favor. Don't even bother with this company.

Phone call from director
    Most rude interview I've ever experienced. Called an hour and a half late (ended up having a call at 9:30PM) and hung up half way through the call before redialing back into the call. I understand it's a growing business and it is busy, but come on. Where's the professionalism?
    Extremely condescending; after describing past experience, I ended up being lectured on how to present my past experience
    Then, I was badgered on why I believed the company was going to be better than other IMS providers and how I was going to contribute to the success.
    The latter half is a fine question to ask, but to be badgered on the first part for ten minutes when no, I won't know enough about the very specifics of each part of your product because you're new and not that large of a player in the market yet.
    Then, I was lectured on why business courses are more important than computer science courses (yes, lectured for a good five minutes) and that to ever succeed in the fintech field, I needed "to be able to hold my own".

Don't forget that the pay is sub-industry standard too.

If this is how an MD is, I can't and don't want to imagine what the rest of management looks like.

Interview Questions

• Share your most relevant projects from your previous internships   Answer Question

Junior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

There was one initial phone interview and one week later, I was invited for an on site interview with two executives. The phone interview was behavioral and the in person interviews were a combination of behavioral and technical.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners.

Interview

I had applied for the position of business analyst for the salt lake city office. After cancelling the interview 2 times the director finally had the time to reach out to me. Interview consisted of very basic questions related to equity markets, various ratios used to analyze the firm (Debt/equity... etc), IPO process. Basic questions based on resume (why business analyst.. as I had more experience in finance). Ended the interview wih a brain teaser puzzle. Nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions

• acceptable debt/equity ratios for all the sectors (rough guess)   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

This was my second interview after an initial phone interview with a developer from the Salt Lake City location. Walked into the office. There was no receptionist and nobody noticed a I was there. The person interviewing me was in an HR meeting. Employees didn't really know what to have me do, so they gave me a chair while I waited for the meeting to get out. When the meeting got out, the interviewer had me sit in the conference room, where I waited for another five minutes. The interviewer didn't remember me from the first time we met, and didn't remember where he had met me (at a college STEM fair). I was asked to talk about my experience, and was then asked questions pertaining to my knowledge of programming. Lots of questions about c# and databases. Many questions were very specific about features of c#, data flow, and SQL. When I would answer a question, there was no feedback whatsoever and the interviewer really didn't show any emotion throughout the process. Was told I would hear back within a week, and still haven't heard anything three weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL query to join two tables. Can these two tables be joined? Example of three classes in an inheritance chain; Had a var be of type first class and set it equal to be an instance of the second class, and asked which method would be used when called (from the first class, or the second class). A couple of math/logic questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners (Ithaca, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Gave them the resume yesterday and got a on-campus interview today.
    At first there was only one interviewer. He looked at my resume for some time. Seeing I had an operating system class, he asked me about basic lock&deadlock problems(how to make function thread-safe, avoid deadlock). Then a logical problem that tributes who always lie and who always tell truth. After that he asked about Java polymorphism. Then data structure like BST. Also he asked me about Javascript and SQL. Then a second interviewer came in and asked me about the possible security issues of developing mobile applications. They are concerned about local credentials and data encryption. The interviewers seem to focus on database, web front end and mobile application.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the possible security issues when developing a mobile app that involved user's financial account.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I had an initial interview with IVP at my school during a job fair. It was straightforward OOP/basic programming questions, some about SQL. I had a followup interview at their office with a different team member, which was more of the same. I interviewed at the new SLC office, which just opened.

Interview Questions

• None of the programming questions were bad, the most interesting one they asked was a logic question along the lines of the fox-chicken-grain puzzle.   Answer Question

I asked about the work-life balance and the interviewer told me that I'm young and shouldn't mind working 12 hour days 6 days a week. I'm not against doing that, but I wasn't thrilled that he made it sound like they expect us to do that all the time.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Used a recruiter for initial interview, followed by a phone interview with hiring manager and an in-person interview at their office in SLC. Interview was very informal and not much pressure. Interviewer lets the candidate lead where the interview goes, so be sure to talk about things that you are solid on.

Interview Questions

• Value IVP by asking the interviewer questions about the company, then actually working out a value for non-public company during the interview.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2014.

Interview

4 interviews beginning with a recruiter. Recruiter checks for basic qualifications, then schedules a phone interview. My interviewer had a very thick Hindi accent; very difficult for a phone interview. Most questions were regarding my resume --be prepared to answer very specific and pointed questions about job history/experience. 1:1 interview was very friendly and casual, much easier to understand the interviewer in-person. I was asked to solve a logic puzzle, similar to what you would expect if interviewing as a programmer. Last step would be interview with upper management. I was a recent graduate and did not have enough experience to make the cut to the final round.

Interview Questions

• in depth capital markets questions   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners.

Interview

Step 1: On campus information session and interview:
    - Basic knowledge of financial instruments (options, shorts)
    - Resume run-down

Step 2: Timed online test with more in depth financial instrument knowledge

Step 3: On site interviews with senior management to get a feel for your personality, client facing skills, and knowledge of your resume.

Interview Questions

• If X shares of stock A are bought at Price 1 and Y shares of stock B are sold short at Price 2 what is the combined market value, gross market value, and exposure of the two positions?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indus Valley Partners in November 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through my school. They didn't seem like the type of company I have been seeking out, but I accepted for interview experience and because they expressed interest in me. Unfortunately, the interview destroyed any interest I had in the company, as the interviewers weren't very focused, and did nothing to sell the company to me. When I would answer questions, they wouldn't do anything for a while, as if they expected me to say more, which made it more and more awkward as the interview went on.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time that a specific scenario had happened at a specific place that I had interned at for a short time, but I let them know that I hadn't been there for long enough to have that sort of experience.   1 Answer