MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Interviews at MSC Industrial Direct

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Southfield, MI).

Interview

The recruiter that i was working with was very kind and courteous and respectful of my schedule. Kindly outlined expectations, provided lots of information and exemplified good values for the company.

Leader Interview

Interview

I wanted to start off that I’m not 100% if this was an actual interview or this company was just seeing who was out there.

I was pursued after working for a direct competitor by a recruiting firm who worked directly with the hiring manager at one point. I had a good offer but
    thought it wouldn’t hurt to listen so I did. I was on an extremely tight time frame due to travel as well, which I made known to every person I spoke to up front.

I cleared my schedule. Had multiple calls and multiple emails with the recruiter, hiring manager, HR. I was told the hiring manager was going to be flying in the upcoming Friday because “he knew my timeline, loved my experience, thought I was great, didn’t want to lose me”....then dead silence. Not one person returned a call, email or text. I then get a voicemail from the recruiter telling me to take the other offer. Ya, that has been done weeks ago but thanks for the thumbs up and ok to move on!

What makes this even more comical and reassuring that I made the right choice moving to another company is I work with this company’s team often. Had I been hired, I would have left due to the unprofessionalism and representation of their staff. Not what I’m used to and not what I want to be associated with.

One of the first questions I was asked was do I know who MSC is and do you know what MRO is? My advice is please do your research. If I didn’t know my completion or the meaning of the industry I have been part of for years, I have much bigger issues.

A Sales Support Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC).

Interview

Hiring process took a long time. Two in-person interviews and a phone interview, weeks apart. I came in for a position brought to me by a third-party recruiter. I interviewed for that position and they also considered me for another position that would be on the team. I was impressed with the woman who’d be my immediate manager and her manager. I was offered the original position I interviewed for but the background check vendor they use could not reconcile email-signature functional job titles I use on my resume with how my various previous employers had me listed in their HR systems. I went through a very long drawn out process to try to explain the differences and prove I wasn’t lying, including asking former managers to be references and confirm what my job was. They were very concerned that I listed “senior” in my title at several places when the HR system didn’t say it. I’m not in my 20’s, 30’s or 40’s and I’ve done what I do for a long time. Sometimes employers hire you as a senior-level person but the HR system just lists you as a widget, but your manager is fine with you putting senior or lead in your email signature title. My outside recruiter was beside himself trying to help resolve the situation. In the end, MSC rescinded their offer. I’ve never in my life had such an experience. It was humiliating.

Interview Questions

• What have you done at other employers that would make you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in April 2019.

Interview

The interview process involved detailed questions about the environment which amounted to a free knowledge transfer/consulting session. After turning down a request to interview for a position I was overqualified for I was asked to interview for a more senior role which was not posted, and in retrospect did not exist.

Interview Questions

• If this is the way the company operates then they don't deserve contentious employees. Look elsewhere.   1 Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Interview

15 min interview over the phone and face to face 30 min . General questions dealing with difficult customers. What motivates you. Where do you see yourself within 10 years.

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Spoke with an HR person for 45 minutes which led to a call with Inside Sales Manager, which led to in person interview, which led to a form email from a do not reply box saying thanks but no thanks. No feedback or explanation as to why they chose not to move forward with me. I’m a grown up I can take the feedback.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the most challenging experiences you had with a customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Southfield, MI) in October 2018.

Interview

The HR person that initially scheduled the telephone interview did not even call. I had to contact them. Days later, I eventually received a call from a hiring manager for a face to face interview. After I scheduled the interview with them, I was contacted by two more hiring managers for CSR positions within other departments. The interview was average and I was asked to stay and shadow an employee. This was new to me and apparently the individual that I sat with, as they thought I was a new employee. Afterwards, I spoke with the hiring manager and they let me know when they would be contacting me. In between the wait time, there was so much miscommunication and misinformation regarding the entire process. Between that and three managers being unaware that they were contacting the same person for interviews within their company proved that and were red flags. I really did want to be apart of the company, but the experience made me thankful that I didn't receive an offer.

Note to HR recruiter and hiring managers: The company seems to be good place to work and the employees seem to like it there. However, there needs to be better communication internally. If shadowing is a part of your interview process, make your actual employees aware. Also, please check your general voicemail often as they should be timestamped and dated and communicate that information internally before relaying any other assumptions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing about yourself that's not on your resume.   Answer Question

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Charlotte, NC) in September 2018.

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite visit that was in excess of 4.5+ hours. People were nice and the facility was OK. It was at one of their corporate offices.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you? Why do you want to work here? Do you realize you will have to handle these types of problems? How do you get along with people?   2 Answers

Applications Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY).

Interview

Horrible Experience... Very Unprofessional.. After applying it took almost a month for a call back. To have you take two phone Interviews around 30 - 45 minutes each.. When you finally arrive to a face to face interview it’s four rounds of interviews for almost 3 hours.. When the individuals interviewing your turn out to be 30 mins late for the meeting.

To then wait two weeks and told that another person was selected. So in total two and a half months running loops for them when you could be looking for more valuable positions and more professional interactions.

Interview Questions

• What level of experience do you have in IS? From 1 to 5   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Got a call from someone in HR for MSC to do a phone interview and I did the phone interview and they made it see as if I could be a good candidate since I have already had sales experience in the exact same industry that MSC is in with a competitor of theirs. After the phone interview I was sent an assessment test and I believe I did well on the assessment test as I followed up with the HR person for MSC to ensure they received my results and they said they were sending my information to the hiring manager and the next thing I know I was sent the thanks but no thanks email a few days later. I am confused on how I can have experience working for a direct competitor of theirs doing the exact same job but get no face to face interview???