MathWorks Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.9

91 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

The first round is a phone call from a recruiter. Then it is an online test (75min). After that, it is the phone interview. It took about 60 min. A lot of basic matlab and C++ questions.

Interview Questions

• Matlab: weight sum. find numbers above a threshold...
    C++: GCD.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

Of many tech interview I've attended , this is one of the bad ones
    The only good thing could be the nice accommodation at Marriott

First the hiring manager screens your resume and does a live coding Q&A session over hackerrank
    Then the HR schedules an onsite interview, after asking for a free day in a week he goes on to schedule the flight whenever he feels like it without asking your time availability on that particular weekday.
    After you reach Boston , they arrange a cab to the hotel , and later back to Airport, which is really nice.

So coming to the Interview itself:
    Prior to the interview, they ask you to prepare a very time consuming presentation which lasts for an hour, which would take about a week to prepare since as part of the preparation process you would also need to work with the hiring manager and incroporate his feedback into developing the presentation in incremental drafts. Now this takes a lot of effort , and apart from my full time job , I ended up pulling a couple of all nighters during my week of presentation. All of this builds up a lot of stress prior to the interview.

On the day of the Interview, I had around 6-7 rounds.

1) First round involved the hour long stressful presentation with the interview panel and the HR. This is where I got really irritated to see the dull and uninterested faces when I gave my presentation which took so much time and effort to prepare.

2) Second round involves sitting down with an engineer and doing hands on programming which mostly involves debugging. This was easy for a person of my experience. This was the only interviewer who was engaging , and atleast had some interest to assess my skills

2) The third uninterested Interviewer, asked basic Algorithms like the merge sort and array searching etc. Easy as breeze !

3) The fourth hiring manager round, was more of a discussion of how great Mathworks is , and how Mathworks keeps up with evolving technology , and why he stayed at Mathworks from 20 years blah blah blah. The hiring manager is a nice talented person , but is ignorant of how bad the other developers in his team are.

4) The fifth round is a lunch round with the Boss of the hiring manager. The lunch is nothing fancy, just a couple of Pizza slices from the Cafetaria. The interview was decent.

5) The sixth round was literally the interviewer slouching on his desk with tired sleepy eyes, and just fired a question here and there, with long awkward pauses. The body language of the interviewer was demotivating. The question were just really basic (and poor quality) for a five year experienced software developer. Question like difference between a class and an object, difference between pointer and reference, why inheritance is used. Question like these made me wonder about the quality of the developers that work at Mathworks

6) Seventh round was an interview with a web developer. Despite knowing that this is a not a specialized UI role and I am more of a systems (C++) developer, he goes on to ask very detailed syntax oriented css questions like writing code to animate windows , designing margins for a page layout , adjusting relative width of a window with respect to its parent etc. Though I explained the concepts that answers the questions, the interviewer kept pestering me to get the syntax correctly

7) Last Round was the HR asking standard behavioral questions like
    Tel me about a time you had to disagree with you team , and how you handled it
    Tell me about a time you had the most difficult task assigned to you , and how you accomplished it
    Tell me about a time blah blah blah...questions

All in all the interview from 9AM to 3PM was exhausting, disappointing and a low quality experience.
    The interviewers looked uninterested and portrayed the impression that no matter how well I did, they were not in a mood to assess me, and instead just wanted to get their 30 to 45 minute quota over with some basic questions that they would have googled to ask.

After two weeks involving multiple follow ups to the HR with no response, I did get a standard rejection email.
    Its a frustrating experience to get rejected after being asked such trivial questions in the interview.

Nice things about Mathworks:
    1) The Natick Campus is really beautiful. The logo at the entrance in impressive.
    2) Benefits as explained by the HR are very good
    3) Company has an excellent diverse culture. Apart from the team that I interviewed consisting of mostly Indian developers, I was able to see people speaking lots of different languages at the cafeteria during lunch time
    4) Each employee gets a closed full sized office as opposed to a open cube.

Advice to Mathworks:
    Stop Wasting Candidates time and effort with useless presentations, if you are not serious about the hiring process

Interview Questions

• Basic tech questions involving CPP debugging, algorithms & Data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was on a phone conversation which lasted for around 45 min. Questions regarding the the technical background of the work experience and internships were asked followed by matlab question like OOPS and autonomous function were asked. At the end, creative question about design were asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience and internship?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a project that you did with arduino and matlab? Have you used Raspberry Pi?   Answer Question
    • Give me a practical implementation of inheritance in c++ and autonomous function in matlab. How do you rate yourself on the scale of 10 in matlab programming ? Where else have you used matlab? Have you used Arduino IO package ? How ? Tell me the procedure?   Answer Question
    • What innovative product can you think with arduino and matlab ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially coding challenge, phone interview, then onsite interview. In coding test choose any 2 languages from 5 - I chose Java and Python. Questions related to data structures and algorithms were asked. Questions were average but I messed up in between the coding test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard back a week after telling me to self-schedule a non-technical phone interview (Round 1). After the 20 min call they asked me when a good time would be to take a Hackerrank coding challenge and a phone interview with a software engineer (Round 2). I told them in two weeks because I had finals coming up. Havn't taken the challenge yet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you worked on.
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a teammate.
      How do you manage with multitasking?
      What do you do when you don't know something?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks. I first had a interview with a recruiter where I was asked behavioral questions. Next, I had a hackerrank coding challenged followed by a technical interview. For the coding challenge, I had to complete 2 out of 4 problems. The technical interview involved talking about my solutions to the hackerrank challenge and a design problem.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (New York, NY).

Interview

First, there was a basic phone screen interview asking about visa status, gpa, and basic behavioral question. After the phone screen you are asked to complete a hacker rank challenge and scheduled for a technical phone interview the following week.

The hacker rank challenge questions were the following:
    [1,2,3,4] => [1,2][3,4] => [1][3][2][4] => [1,3,2,4].

As for the technical interview, we went over how you would design a class of human and pets and was questioned about time complexity of the algorithm you wrote on HackerRank and more questions to problems regarding HackerRank Questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a List of Strings, return the words that can be typed only using one row of your keyboard. example: ["Hello", "Alaska", "Dad", "Peace"] => ["Alaska", "Dad"]   1 Answer
    • 2. Given a List of Strings of operators and numbers, determine the sum of the given expression. The numbers can be positive or negative and the operators only have multiplication and division.   Answer Question
    • 3. Given an array starting from 1 to 2^n, [1,2,3,4], transform the array such that when you split the array in half, the left side goes on top of the right, repeat this until the left side has a length of 1.
      [1,2,3,4] => [1,2][3,4] => [1][3][2][4] => [1,3,2,4].   Answer Question
    • 4. Given a graph of vertices and directed edges, return all vertices in order that can visit all other vertices within 2 steps.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in October 2016.

Interview

There was an interview with an HR representative, during which behavioral questions were asked. A HackerRank challenge was to be completed before the second interview, which dealt with technical questions. In the technical interview, the interviewer asked for explanations regarding each HackerRank solution, how each solution could be improved, and the time complexity of each solution.

Interview Questions

• Object Oriented design concepts and time complexity analysis were focused on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in October 2016.

Interview

Got an e-mail from the hiring department saying they would like to have a phone call to discuss my qualifications. The call lasted approximatel 15 minutes, detailing some stuff on my resume and some basic behavioral questions. I received an e-mail the week after saying they were moving on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• What is one you had a difference of opinion on a project and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and had three rounds of interviews. First was an easy behavioral phone call from the recruiter. Second they sent a two hour HackerRank challenge followed by a technical interview where we went of the results of my challenge and some additional questions. Third was a managerial interview which was again behavioral. Overall very nice. However, they were very slow even though they ironically said they were fast.