MathWorks Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

2.9

96 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks (Remote, OR) in October 2017.

Interview

1 hour phone interview, 55 minutes answering questions, 5 minutes ask questions
share screen, the engineer can either give you code to analyze, or let you write solution to a given problem

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in October 2017.

Interview

Questions are already posted on Glassdoor.
    1) Video screening round
    2) Hacker rank challenge
    3) Technical phone interview -> choose 2 languages + Maths + Basics OOPs concepts
    4) Onsite interview -> same as technical phone interview
    Go through the Glassdoor questions before starting interview preparation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

A simple video recording interview with simple hr questions like why this position and why are you fit for this position followed by technical hacker rank challenge which has simple math and coding questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MathWorks (College Station, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Campus Interview. I talked to the recruiter directly about my work and experience and got the campus interview. The director asked me three questions and gave me hints while answering the questions. After technical questions, he give a brief introduction of Mathworks.

Interview Questions

• Find the most frequent two elements in a array?   1 Answer
    • What is virtual function?   1 Answer
    • What the difference between reference and pointer?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in September 2017.

Interview

First is hr interview, then a coding challenge, next is phone interview.
    For coding challenge contains five parts. I choose C++ and Python. It contains several multi-choice questions and coding questions.

Interview Questions

• The guy asks me a lot of C++ and Java concept questions with code example.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

The first round is a phone call from a recruiter. Then it is an online test (75min). After that, it is the phone interview. It took about 60 min. A lot of basic matlab and C++ questions.

Interview Questions

• Matlab: weight sum. find numbers above a threshold...
      C++: GCD.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

Of many tech interview I've attended , this is one of the bad ones
    The only good thing could be the nice accommodation at Marriott

First the hiring manager screens your resume and does a live coding Q&A session over hackerrank
    Then the HR schedules an onsite interview, after asking for a free day in a week he goes on to schedule the flight whenever he feels like it without asking your time availability on that particular weekday.
    After you reach Boston , they arrange a cab to the hotel , and later back to Airport, which is really nice.

So coming to the Interview itself:
    Prior to the interview, they ask you to prepare a very time consuming presentation which lasts for an hour, which would take about a week to prepare since as part of the preparation process you would also need to work with the hiring manager and incroporate his feedback into developing the presentation in incremental drafts. Now this takes a lot of effort , and apart from my full time job , I ended up pulling a couple of all nighters during my week of presentation. All of this builds up a lot of stress prior to the interview.

On the day of the Interview, I had around 6-7 rounds.

1) First round involved the hour long stressful presentation with the interview panel and the HR. This is where I got really irritated to see the dull and uninterested faces when I gave my presentation which took so much time and effort to prepare.

2) Second round involves sitting down with an engineer and doing hands on programming which mostly involves debugging. This was easy for a person of my experience. This was the only interviewer who was engaging , and atleast had some interest to assess my skills

2) The third uninterested Interviewer, asked basic Algorithms like the merge sort and array searching etc. Easy as breeze !

3) The fourth hiring manager round, was more of a discussion of how great Mathworks is , and how Mathworks keeps up with evolving technology , and why he stayed at Mathworks from 20 years blah blah blah. The hiring manager is a nice talented person , but is ignorant of how bad the other developers in his team are.

4) The fifth round is a lunch round with the Boss of the hiring manager. The lunch is nothing fancy, just a couple of Pizza slices from the Cafetaria. The interview was decent.

5) The sixth round was literally the interviewer slouching on his desk with tired sleepy eyes, and just fired a question here and there, with long awkward pauses. The body language of the interviewer was demotivating. The question were just really basic (and poor quality) for a five year experienced software developer. Question like difference between a class and an object, difference between pointer and reference, why inheritance is used. Question like these made me wonder about the quality of the developers that work at Mathworks

6) Seventh round was an interview with a web developer. Despite knowing that this is a not a specialized UI role and I am more of a systems (C++) developer, he goes on to ask very detailed syntax oriented css questions like writing code to animate windows , designing margins for a page layout , adjusting relative width of a window with respect to its parent etc. Though I explained the concepts that answers the questions, the interviewer kept pestering me to get the syntax correctly

7) Last Round was the HR asking standard behavioral questions like
    Tel me about a time you had to disagree with you team , and how you handled it
    Tell me about a time you had the most difficult task assigned to you , and how you accomplished it
    Tell me about a time blah blah blah...questions

All in all the interview from 9AM to 3PM was exhausting, disappointing and a low quality experience.
    The interviewers looked uninterested and portrayed the impression that no matter how well I did, they were not in a mood to assess me, and instead just wanted to get their 30 to 45 minute quota over with some basic questions that they would have googled to ask.

After two weeks involving multiple follow ups to the HR with no response, I did get a standard rejection email.
    Its a frustrating experience to get rejected after being asked such trivial questions in the interview.

Nice things about Mathworks:
    1) The Natick Campus is really beautiful. The logo at the entrance in impressive.
    2) Benefits as explained by the HR are very good
    3) Company has an excellent diverse culture. Apart from the team that I interviewed consisting of mostly Indian developers, I was able to see people speaking lots of different languages at the cafeteria during lunch time
    4) Each employee gets a closed full sized office as opposed to a open cube.

Advice to Mathworks:
    Stop Wasting Candidates time and effort with useless presentations, if you are not serious about the hiring process

Interview Questions

• Basic tech questions involving CPP debugging, algorithms & Data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was on a phone conversation which lasted for around 45 min. Questions regarding the the technical background of the work experience and internships were asked followed by matlab question like OOPS and autonomous function were asked. At the end, creative question about design were asked.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience and internship?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a project that you did with arduino and matlab? Have you used Raspberry Pi?   Answer Question
    • Give me a practical implementation of inheritance in c++ and autonomous function in matlab. How do you rate yourself on the scale of 10 in matlab programming ? Where else have you used matlab? Have you used Arduino IO package ? How ? Tell me the procedure?   Answer Question
    • What innovative product can you think with arduino and matlab ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially coding challenge, phone interview, then onsite interview. In coding test choose any 2 languages from 5 - I chose Java and Python. Questions related to data structures and algorithms were asked. Questions were average but I messed up in between the coding test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, heard back a week after telling me to self-schedule a non-technical phone interview (Round 1). After the 20 min call they asked me when a good time would be to take a Hackerrank coding challenge and a phone interview with a software engineer (Round 2). I told them in two weeks because I had finals coming up. Havn't taken the challenge yet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you worked on.
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a teammate.
      How do you manage with multitasking?
      What do you do when you don't know something?   Answer Question