Metromile Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Metromile (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was headhunted for this position through Hired.com. The company definitely values skill over a degree. I only have a high school diploma, but a ton of programming experience I was able to showcase. The process took a few weeks; each interaction was spaced out over a couple business days which consisted of an initial phone call, an over-the-phone technical interview, an onsite technical interview, and a final interview with the CTO over-the-phone.

The phone interview consisted of a few Javascript questions. Although the role is full-stack, my position was going to be front-end focused due to my experience, so I was asked fairly straight-forward HTML/CSS questions, and some difficult JS coding puzzles in the mix.

The onsite technical interview ramped up in difficulty quickly. They were nothing outrageous, and each interviewer was very happy to clear up details and any questions I had. All the questions I asked, I felt, were tailored to my experience. I was able to answer most questions with a good balance of speed, efficiency and style. I also feel like personality played a big part in the hiring process; you really have to be able to get along with the team members and I feel as though striking up conversation and making a few jokes helped.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Javascript Promise object.   1 Answer
    • Implement a few front-end effects involving event listeners and event propagation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Metromile (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Very bad experience. They don't know what they are looking for.
    I had a phone interview that went very well. Then i went there for in person interview with 2 people. One of them was an engineer, he asked me some whiteboard question. He told me a few times that i did really good.
    The other person was not an engineer in training, but an statistician turned a data scientist. He asked me to design a system. We talked about it, and came up with a design.
    The feedback I got was: you don't know about databases!!!!!! I have been a software engineer for a few years, so i found that offensive. There were no talks about databases in any of my interviews. So they either don't have any idea about what they want, or the interviewer had personal issues with me.
    Overall a very bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Design the street cleaning feature that metromile currently offer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Metromile in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interviews with the first focusing on general suitability and experience, the second phone screen was more technical in nature and involved several coding challenges while on the phone.

Even though we spoke in detail over several calls about my years of experience building web based data visualization and geospatial applications, the success of the interview seemed to hinge on how well I could solve a few code puzzles while on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2-dimensional array develop an algorithm that will return a rectangle of similar values.   Answer Question
    • Implement several methods of the Promise API.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Metromile in October 2018.

Interview

Initial phone call with their recruiter went very well and he said he would be forwarding my information to the team to follow up on next steps.

Ended up scheduling a technical phone screen using an online coding/screen sharing site.

A few minutes after the technical screen was supposed to start I get a phone call from the recruiter saying they just filled the role that morning and would not be continuing the process but will keep my resume on file if another opportunity comes up. At least let me know earlier so I know how to plan my day, very disappointed!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metromile (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

First recruiter , then two phone round and then onsite of four rounds. Process is almost like any other tech companies.
     In my first round while discussing about my projects I expressed my admiration on some of the newer technologies but unfortunately the senior architect has some pet peeve against it, I felt intimidated and nervous and that affected my regular interview skill . He was continuously turning me down on every point I was making to defend my stance. I felt really bad when at some point he asked, Do I even know HTTP ...Its demeaning even for a fresher and I am a mid level engineer working on APIs day in/out , so that numbed me for a moment there. Later rounds were better but I got rejected , I think that was obvious since the first interviewer was the most senior among all the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• 1) Intersection of two arrays and some follow up on that.
      2) string search and replace type question
      3) find median of int stream
      4) battleship game design
      5) given group of source and destination, draw the itinerary map   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Metromile in March 2016.

Interview

After getting through the first hr Skype call, the next skype call was with the hiring manager. It went well, and he said he would be moving me to the next round to talk to a senior team member.

I also heard from the hr person that I would be hearing in the next day for scheduling.

They never reached out, and I sent several follow up emails. They never got back to me, and it was a complete waste of time. They could have at least told me they would not be moving forward, after I spent time preparing for interviews on my end and sending thank you notes.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would measure an advertising campaign's success   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Metromile (Tempe, AZ) in October 2017.

Interview

3 short 30 minute interviews with 3 different managers who asked the same questions. They had a copy of my resume and wrote over it. Managers take time out of their day to interview on top of their daily workload.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Metromile.

Interview

Been working for 8 years now and been through so many interviews, and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. Phone screen with recruiter - she was not prepared, definitely distracted as she told me she's responding to chats in the meantime and had long pauses during the conversations. She asked questions like, how many years of experience you have had in this role before - READ THE RESUME! Definitely got an attitude and overall not professional.

Interview Questions

• How many years of experience you have had in this role in your past jobs?   Answer Question

Business Development Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Metromile (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

My experience through the interview process at Metromile was extremely positive despite not having received an offer from Metromile. There was a phone screen with a recruiter/talent acquisition, a video conference with the hiring manager, and an on site interview with 3 people at Metromile.

The phone screen with the recruiter was a great discussion. She was very upfront about the role and clearly explained the culture at Metromile, so that I felt I had a good sense of the type of company. She was very clear and detailed about next steps, set clear expectations, and she was very personable.

The technical recruiting manager was very honest and transparent throughout the process. He had to deliver difficult news to me a couple times: the first when my onsite interview was rescheduled due to internal conflicts / other candidates and also when he had to inform me that the role was going to be on hold or possibly filled internally. In the first instance, I appreciated how honest he was and responsive through the delay. He apologized and stayed in the loop with me throughout the process of rescheduling. He promised to respond after the weekend and he did. In the second instance, I appreciated that he gave me a call directly and explained what he understood was happening with the role. He could have ignored my email or sent a short, cryptic response, but instead he tried to explain to me what was going on and the decision being made. Scheduling and rescheduling was really easy.

I enjoyed the video and onsite interviews. Each person asked really good questions and the tone felt conversational. It's obvious that the people I interviewed with believe in the company and where it's going and that they are proud of their teams.

Overall, this was the best experience of a rejection I could ask for while going through the interview process. You're lucky if Jenn, Matt, and Kendall are the ones guiding you through all of this -- they are a great team.

Interview Questions

• I would say the questions showed that the company was really making sure I was the right fit. I was asked "why Metromile?" a couple times and "how my current experience translates into skills needed for BD". I was asked to explain projects I'm most proud of and why. The interviews were very conversational, and I felt I learned a lot about the position and the company during these discussions.   Answer Question

Auto Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Metromile (Tempe, AZ) in March 2018.

Interview

Not your typical "tell me about a time" questions. They really take the time to get to know you and your background. I did extensive research on the company and read numerous reviews online. I was very excited for the opportunity to start a career with them. My interview went very well so I was very surprised and disappointed to hear they passed on me.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a complex liability decision you made   Answer Question
    • What factors do you consider when making a liability decision   Answer Question