NetApp Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was lucky to get an interview through a company recruiter as a result of applying for a software engineer position via their website. The recruiter called me about about a month later and arranged for me to have an on-site interview which was scheduled a week
ahead. I was interviewed by 4 very technical engineers and the interview lasted for 4 1/2 hours. The interview was made up of programming questions, designs questions and a
discussion of my work over a long period since I have been in the industry a long time.
Although I had prepared well ahead, I was still C-algorithm-savvy enough to answer
some of their questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a binary tree, find the path from leaf node to leaf node such that the values of nodes in between are the maximum. The interviewer was interested more the maximum sum than the path itself.

2. Write/describe algorithm to re-sort a rotated sorted array with O(1) complexity.

3. Given an array of integers design an algorithm to return the sum of all integers in a given range with O(1) complexity. So, sum(i1, i2) returns sum of all integers i1 - i2. No for() loops.
    Now, how would you do it if the array were 2 dimensional?
    4. Merge 2 link lists. So, if the linked lists are L1 and L2, the resultant list will be L1->next = L2, L2->next = L1(original)->next; ... They may not have the same number of elements.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for NetApp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at NetApp (Boulder, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

First HR interview - Simple basic C questions, Second Hiring manager round- Discussion of projects, Third technical round - Discussion on technical topics, Fourth round is coding assignment, got rejected

Interview Questions

• Basic C concepts, Difference between processes and threads, mutexes, notify, wait   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at NetApp.

Interview

Applied through online, recruiter contacted me after few weeks, and schedule for the interview,Interview was not that hard at all and Interviewer was cool and helps when needed to take you back on right direction.

Interview Questions

• 1. Delete middle node from a linked list.
      2. question related to related to Queue/Stack
      3. Virtual functions?, Virtual base classes?, smart pointer?.
      4. maps vs sets?
      5. reference vs pointer.
      6. Singleton?
      7. observer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at NetApp (Wichita, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

I got the two rounds interviews via phone calls. The first round was from the campus manager, basically just going through my CV and talk a little bit about the company. The second round was from the manager and engineer about tech stuff. The people from NetApp are really nice and friendly. It is more like talking about themselves instead of an interview. The atmosphere is really great.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview took about 50 minutes, including 3 to 5 questions about C++, 2 to 3 questions about multithread, one question about debugging. Most of them could be found in Glassdoor. The interview is performed through pad.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Raleigh, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter, he set up the phone interview. On the phone interview I spoke with 3 of my future team mates. Then I was called in for an onsite interview that last 3-4 hours, most of which was technical. We went over a coding problem they sent over before I came in.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through your code and explain the process by which you came across the solution. How quickly were you able to pick up the language? About how long did it take you to write this?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for one thing, and they gave me about 10k more than I asked. If it isn't what you are looking for definitely try to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NetApp (Wichita, KS) in March 2015.

Interview

I talked to NetApp briefly at my college's career fair and this led to a couple phone interviews. The first was a standard HR call, the second and third were light technical interviews Basically talked about C/C++, OOP, and my own development history. The questions were fairly easy, just needed enough information to cover the basics. For the technical interviews were with two of the engineers I would be working with and were basically just gauging by skill level and interest in the project.

Interview Questions

• What are the basic considerations and potentials pitfalls in designing multi-threaded applications?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NetApp (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview - 2 rounds. First round manager, second round with team member. Manager interview is more of a background check along with checking if you can think logically. Go over the resume thoroughly. If you know what you say you do you should be good

Interview Questions

• Basic questions - detect a loop, reverse list, dynamic mem allocation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The internal staffing person will perform a quick phone screen. This takes about 15 minutes. Then the hiring manager will perform a phone screen which will touch on technical questions as well as cultural fit questions. If you get through that, an senior engineer will do another phone screen. This will be very technical and actually writing code. Once you get pass all that they will invite you to a on-site. This will be mostly technical and will be talking to the hiring manager as well as 2-3 engineers.

Interview Questions

• Write code to reverse a linked list   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NetApp (San Jose, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Was approached by company recruiter. Here is my version of how Netapp would have interviewed Shakespeare if Netapp was a company that created stories:

Netapp interviewer: Do you know a poem which talks about stars ?
    Shakespeare: No sir, i dont have one from memory but I can create one if you like
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you have 20 mins
    Shakespeare starts thinking and starts writing down various words and pros.
    Netapp interviewer interrupts: Oh you are done? Coz the time is 10 mins already
    Shakespeare: Well i am trying to think as you can see various ways and words to form a poem
    Netapp interviewer: Ok you see it starts with "twinkle twinkle"
    Shakespeare: Sir like i said, i dont memorize poems mostly, you can see me work . I like writing and creating from my imagination and experience.
    Netapp interviewer: We dont have time for that. Sorry. Bye.

Essentially, they are looking for people who have memorized some programming problems. So if you already are familiar with that problem, you are hired. The creative programmer who solves problems has no chance of getting hired here.