Nuance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2018

2.7

Corporate Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nuance (Burlington, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application through the Nuance career portal. HR reached out very quickly (within a week). I had three interviews in total - two over the phone (one with HR Rep and one with the Corporate Marketing Director) and one in-person where I met Marketing Directors for all 4 divisions and got to know more about the company. The process was very timely, pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• Please explain why you are interested in Nuance and what you expect to get out of this internship.   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nuance (Elizabeth, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

Just one phone call from the HR. A nice conversation with a nice guy.
    Talked about my resume. He said he will recommend me to the next step.
    However, 5 week passed. No one contact me about the position. I am sure there is no next step for me.
    Just one phone call from the HR. A nice conversation with a nice guy.
    Talked about my resume. He said he will recommend me to the next step.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nuance (Mahwah, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews, starting with initial screening, a couple of technical interviews, and then interviews from upper management. No programming assignments or quizzes were given. I was remote, so all the interviews happened over the phone/via Skype, but typically the second and third rounds are in person at the office.

Interview Questions

• What are some large projects you've worked on in the past.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nuance in January 2015.

Interview

An on-line very basic medical terminology test was given in addition to an on-line typing speed test. They graded the on-line test immediately and followed up with a phone call from a first-line recruiter within the company. This was followed up by a manager who specifically worked with the hospital for which they were recruiting. This was followed up by an offer and a contract outlining the pay scale. Overall very organized process and timely, but they were not very clear on the compensation and how difficult the exact guidelines were to achieve any type of decent wage.

Interview Questions

• Since I was applying for medical oncology, they were very concerned about my prior experience, length and depth, in that field.   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nuance (Burlington, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

Had an initial phone screening with HR and the hiring manager. This led to a first round of on site interviews with the hiring manager, lead architect and peer managers. Interview process was straightforward as they asked a lot of typical questions related to past experience. The architect had me draw out the architecture of current solution I was managing and asked why I did things certain ways. This led to a second round with some of the same people and some newer higher up people. A lot asked the same questions either from before or (where they wanted more detailed answers) or from person to person (definitely didn't have a defined plan between the managers). Had one final on site interview (the 3rd) and then never got a definite yes or no. Kept following up with HR with a we'll know more next week. Additionally, was told 2x that it would be the final step in the interview process when it wasn't.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected question was because a number of people asked it so it made me wary about the environment. Asked if given the opportunity in a meeting would I speak up during a meeting if I disagreed with views or would I be quiet and follow up later. Since it was asked a few times and the fact they said a lot of communication is done through email seemed like an issue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nuance (Mahwah, NJ) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview was very easy here. After arranging everything over e-mail, I went in and met with the HR recruiter. Then came a series of interviews with five different managers, each for half an hour. I got a little lucky in that only one of the managers was technical, so I got some questions about recursion and some minor other questions that one could have learned in a 101 CS class. After this was a written exam, but again, fairly easy 101 stuff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nuance (Burlington, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

I talked to several people. The interview was very thorough and very fair. They didn't try "gotcha" questions. There was a long-winded (and very fair) whiteboard session (the problem was amusing).
    What was the outcome? I still don't know. Feedback is that everyone loved me and would like to have me on board, and I got stellar reviews from my references. But the problem is that every hire has to be personally approved by the CEO,and this is the bottleneck in the process. Weeks later, and he apparently still has not looked at my application. Maybe I will get an offer, I don't know yet.

Interview Questions

• I really didn't see any difficult questions. They were asking about problems I had worked with, and how I would handle high-pressure, hard-to-debug situations in code written by other people. I gave examples of how I had handled these in the past.   Answer Question
    • The most unexpected question was had I worked with Flash or Silverlight (this was for a C++ position).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nuance (Mahwah, NJ) in February 2011.

Interview

I got phone call in december. The recruiter went through my resume. I and recruiter tried to place the interview 2 times, but both times interviews were cancelled because of snow. Then finally, interview placed in february. In interview, the first recruiter talked to me about general stuff. then 3 technical manager took interview. the interview was not that much tough. people are very nice. they tried to as much friendly as they could. finally i got call in beginning of april and they offer me the position. i was looking for that kind of position. I took it right away. Technical question was like "difference between process and tread" and long white board question.

Interview Questions

• difference between process and thread.   Answer Question
    • long white board question. technical manager drew on white board and asked me the question according that diagram.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nuance (Burlington, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

I got a mail from the HR with a list of questions concerning my knowledge and one of their products. I replied to him with my response and then after 3 days I got a email from HR for a phone conversation (ASAP). I called his number but no response and so dropped him an email with my availability. Suddenly on a Monday the HR called me stating that y responses and my qualifications matched and asked me for my availability for a technical Interview. He asked for the same day and I managed the timings.

In the evening the Project Dev Mgr called me and is telling me that he believes my experience is not enough and he wants a more experienced candidate for this job and so he does not want to waste my or his time in taking the interview. Apologized and hang up.

I don't mind rejection but I guess they need to clear their own thoughts about their requirements rather then making calls and confusing candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nuance (Burlington, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

Currently in the interview process. All positive; they are handling it well.