Petco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.1

Store Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

Was contacted through another site to apply for the position. Spoke with a recruiter over the phone and had a great conversation. A couple days later DM called me and left a message about an interview. Left 2 messages and was finally called back. Tried to set up a time and the DM said he would get back to me. A week later i had not heard back. Sent recuiter message and heard nothing back.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied to two nearby Petco stores and got an interview at both. I did not receive an offer at the first interview but got an offer at the second.

At the first interview done in the store, they asked me a lot of situational questions, what would i do if this and that happened..?

At the second interview which was done over the phone, the Assistant Manager asked me generic questions about my experience with animals and customer service. He asked me to stop by the store and showed me around and told me how they like to suggest/educate customers of the services Petco offers and if I was comfortable doing that and talking/engaging with customers. Of course, I was okay with that and so he told me he would take my responses to the manager and see what he says. He called me about 2-3 days offering me the job.

Aquatics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Sat down with the store manager and had a conversational interview. We started by talking about what kinds of pets I had at home, and grew the interaction from there.

Interview Questions

• Since you will have to assist in other areas, do you have any experiences with birds or small animals?   1 Answer

Ecommerce Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

I applied for a position online and quickly heard from the talent acquisition manager. What was odd is how she immmediately prefaced the interview with "I'm sure you are wondering why there are so many ecommerce openings",and then went into a spiel as to why they had multiple openings.... to which I informed her I had only known of one (the one I applied for).

Given my background in a similar industry I was hoping to at least talk to the hiring manager but even then she claimed she shared my resume with him and felt I was more of a manager role.

Despite this I was enthusiastic about the opportunity. I followed up a few times but never heard back.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

The interview process was easy. We talked about animals I had and had experience with. Also, any background with customer service. The job requires upselling a lot. Have to be friendly and not shy as that goes against you in the interview.

Grooming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Stockton, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got called for an interview about a week later. It was a group interview, although there was only one other applicant there with me, and she had previous work experience where I had none. Interview took place in the break room and was very casual, which I hear is typical, although I still dressed very well and would recommend it. A week after I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer
    • What would you do with an aggressive or anxious dog?   1 Answer
    • How soon will you be able to work?   1 Answer

Groomers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Petco (New York, NY).

Interview

It only took a couple of days I was hired on the spot due to previous work experience. It was minimum wage plus commission as I was hired as a groomers assistant. You are also offered the chance to become a groomer after a certain amount of time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was easy

Grooming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

They took me to the manager's office where both grooming salon manager and store manager interviewed me simultaneously. It was casual and they described to me how the grooming program works. There are 90 days of training with the groomer and then I will be sent of to grooming school to be a certified groomer.

Interview Questions

• Are you nervous around any dog breeds?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel around poop, pee, vomit or blood?   1 Answer
    • Describe when you had to work as a team in a past job.   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with angry customers?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to prioritize a situation and if applicable, having to do with animal welfare.   Answer Question

Guest Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leominster, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Petco (Leominster, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called in for an interview about a week and a half later. Easy interview, pretty general questions about working with animals, etc. Accepted the job a few days later, and currently waiting for background check to clear before first day of work.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working with all types of animals?   Answer Question

Interview

Very simple and pleasant interview. Also very casual. The groomer was actually grooming a dog while she was interviewing me. She offered me the job on the spot after only about 15 minutes of talking.