Petco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2018

2.0

QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA).

Interview

1.There was phone interview with recruiter for around 20 min regarding your background.Then onsite interview for around 1 hr with 4 team members just asking questions on resume, some basic test cases .

Interview Questions

• What do you know Rest API , which methods we use on daily basis?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Petco (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I applied 30+ days ago, called to follow up and was immediately scheduled for an interview. Showed up for the interview and overall was pretty easy. Generic questions. Obviously, there's a lot of talk about pets, if you have preferences etc. DON'T lie, because they will pull you out to the floor and start drilling you with questions about the animals you talked about. If your interview is going well they will tour the store with you and begin going over expected duties.

The store manager was the one who conducted the interview, and seemed like she was a bit inexpereinced which was a surprise. She told me to "put in my 2 weeks" with my current employer so it sounded like it was in the bag. She said that normally for manager onboardings a second interview would be scheduled and the District Manager would be interviewing you, but apparantly in my district there is no district manager at the moment.... So I did both interviews same time with 2 store managers.

I did my interview on a Saturday, was told I'd get a call on Tuesday. Friday came around with no call, so I followed up. She said she would call me the next day when she "gets to the bottom of her papers". Calls me the next day like she said only to tell me that corporate decided to place a transfer from Target in her store which she wasn't aware of until she submitted my processing paperwork and they told her "no". She was really nice and obviously felt pretty bad about it and offered to help me out to get me into another local store, though which was a nice gesture.

However, I ended up declining because that alone shows me how disorganized the company is and shows me that there's a lot of micromanagement. If a store manager can't even pick her own people to run their store, that's a bit concerning to me. Corporate needs to let SM's run their store and not step on their toes - that is why I am looking for a new job. I can tell just from that one phone call it's all smoke and mirrors.

Unfortuantely this company would not be a good fit for me which is dissappinting because the benefits are really decent and the discount on pet products and food would have been amazing.

Senior Data Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Petco (San Diego, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

1st Round is a phone call with a recruiter, just to make sure you have the basic skill set necessary to do the job. Nothing technical is asked at this stage.

Then you must complete a personality assessment, regardless of results I believe you move forward but can't say for sure.

2nd round is usually a phone call with the hiring manager unless the circumstances call for something different. This is usually where things got more technical. They would ask what type of modeling you have done, platforms you have used, programming languages you know and all that jazz.

3rd round is in-person, usually involves five people and you spend on average 30 minutes per person. This is to get a good feel for your personality and to make sure you have the technical skills necessary.

After that, they usually respond pretty quick and if they like you they'll make an offer. From my experience, they will come in at the market for pay and if they really want you, have other offers, not entry-level they will come in above.

Aquatics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Petco (Germantown, WI) in May 2018.

Interview

It was so easy and quick. The interviewer was super fun and made it not feel like an interview. Asked me about my pets, experience with fish especially. I didn’t have much salt water experience and she said thats fine and that I’ll learn on the job. Asked me what I liked to do to get to know each other, she even talked about video games with me. I got a call 2 days later after my online application. I still had a job at the time so the hiring process was a little more lengthy because of my free time. I got hired about 5 days later.

Asst Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dundalk, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Petco (Dundalk, MD).

Interview

Petco is always looking for groomers, when I came in to interview I had been grooming for many years, I had a few minute conversation with the General manager, she scheduled a groom dog which I completed and was hired on the spot. Within two years I was promoted to asst manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for petco?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco.

Interview

The interview was very informal. It was in a back corner of the store, where I was expecting questions about my skills, experience, and other "what would you do" kind of interview questions. I was asked briefly about my customer service experience and working with animals. I was given an overview of how the store worked and a tour, which the manager poked fun at my dislike of certain kinds of pets they sell. The manager was friendly, but it didn't feel like they were looking to see if I'd fit in with the team or be a skilled worker based on what I could bring to the position. It seemed more of a position for students rather than working individuals. I had brought a resume and availability with me that the manager refused to look at or keep, also. I found the process very informal and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Guest Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Chester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Petco (Port Chester, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Very casual, sat with the manager in his office. Everything was very informal and friendly. I met a co-worker. During the interview, compensation and hours were reviewed. You must love animals for this job.

Pet Groomer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paragould, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Petco (Paragould, AR).

Interview

I got an email that said thank you for applying but never heard anything else for them. I even called them several times and each time I got the same answer which was we are still reviewing your application we will be in touch with you and it's been 4 months n still nothing.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Petco (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

For me, I Applied online and the next day I got a call about an interview. I scheduled my interview and got the job that same day. After all I had to do was show my birth certificate and licence and I had the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • Are you afraid to pick up any animals or have an allergies?   1 Answer
    • Do you have register experience?   1 Answer
    • Do you have reliable transportation?   1 Answer

Grooming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Petco (New York, NY).

Interview

They called me for an interview within the first week after I applied, had a total of two interviews, second one was with the store leader. Had to make several phone calls asking for a follow up, other then that they won't bother calling you back.

Interview Questions

• Usual retail questions, why petco, why the position I applied for, etc.   Answer Question