Room & Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2018

2.9

Designer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Room & Board (Atlanta, GA) in April 2018.

Interview

The hiring process starts with a phone interview with the recruiter. If that goes well then the next steps is a interview with a store manager, assistant manager and floor associate to see how well you vibe with the staff. The interview process is long and drawn out so be prepared to answer lots of questions and scenarios related to the job.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your personal challenges.   1 Answer

Warehouse Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

Phone interview was maybe25 minutes and pleasant . Didn't feel uncomfortable like a lot of phone interviews do. It seems like a good company and work environment to be apart of.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

Absolutely ridiculous process, waited over 3 weeks for a phone interview, waited a week for an in person interview, and then I waited 2 more weeks to hear I didn’t get the job. I would not waste my time with this company. You could have a job with a much better company in a day or two

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board (San Diego, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Started out as open house meet & greet, then phone interview, and finally a 4 person round robin interview with about 30 minutes per interviewer. Each of the 4 interviewers held different places in the company. One was head of HR and works in Minnesota, another was a Senior Design Associate (I think) for a store in Colorado with a number of years experience as a Design Associate, another was going to be the new manager of the San Diego store opening, and the last one was a current Design Associate (8 years) at the Costa Mesa location. I didn't think she was asking the right type of questions, and though nice, I felt like she had already decided who she liked and was just interviewing me out of obligation. She asked me "designer" type questions from the perspective of someone who didn't seem like they knew a whole lot about design. As a designer myself, it seemed even trickier to answer, as the questions weren't well thought out or explained. It was also clear that she wanted to assert her authority over me and felt it necessary to explain that you didn't need design experience or knowledge to do this job, just after referencing my past design experience on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe our brand and furniture style. (hint: they don't just want mid-century modern.)   Answer Question
    • To a customer who's never been to one of our stores, how would you describe our store?   Answer Question
    • Are you available to fly to Minnesota for 3 weeks of training?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL).

Interview

A round-robin interview process with six different people over a span of two hours. Very exhausting, but learned a lot about the company's philosophy. Was brought in for a second interview two weeks later to meet with two other people. Two weeks later I got a call that they chose another candidate. Frustrating when you're unemployed and wait a month to hear back.

Interview Questions

• What role do you play in your group of friends? How would your friends describe you in three words?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy. The candidate interviews first with HR in the Minneapolis headquarters, then if approved does interviews with 3-4 of the leaders of the store they're applying with.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

thorough and thoughtful. a lot of work up front to find the right person for the right role. you interview with several peers and department heads. you learn a lot about the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

standard

Sales Associate Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Room & Board (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

Submit your resume on line at their company website, along with a cover letter. You will receive an email confirming your application. The application consists of filling out a questionnaire to see what you know about the company, and how the position relates to your skills; these are a few questions after you post your resume & information. If it meets their criteria, you receive an email saying that your resume is being considered, and that they may contact you. After a day or so, you will get a phone call if they are considering a one of one interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you available for full time training?   1 Answer

Repair Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very thorough. Multiple phone interviews before flying to Chicago for an face to face interview. Also my role required a skills bench test which was awesome. The interviewers did an excellent job of presenting the company and making me feel like my time was appreciated. Their passion for the company was evident and contagious.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to constructive criticism/feedback?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, then had a phone interview with an hr associate in MN. She was very nice and we had a 20 minute conversation. I was advanced to go interview at the store. The interview was fairly low key but she did ask specifics on past work experiences and made sure the retail hours (evenings and weekends) and pay range were going to work for me.