Room & Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Room & Board Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL).

Interview

A round-robin interview process with six different people over a span of two hours. Very exhausting, but learned a lot about the company's philosophy. Was brought in for a second interview two weeks later to meet with two other people. Two weeks later I got a call that they chose another candidate. Frustrating when you're unemployed and wait a month to hear back.

Interview Questions

• What role do you play in your group of friends? How would your friends describe you in three words?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy. The candidate interviews first with HR in the Minneapolis headquarters, then if approved does interviews with 3-4 of the leaders of the store they're applying with.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

thorough and thoughtful. a lot of work up front to find the right person for the right role. you interview with several peers and department heads. you learn a lot about the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

standard

Sales Associate Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Room & Board (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

Submit your resume on line at their company website, along with a cover letter. You will receive an email confirming your application. The application consists of filling out a questionnaire to see what you know about the company, and how the position relates to your skills; these are a few questions after you post your resume & information. If it meets their criteria, you receive an email saying that your resume is being considered, and that they may contact you. After a day or so, you will get a phone call if they are considering a one of one interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you available for full time training?   1 Answer

Repair Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very thorough. Multiple phone interviews before flying to Chicago for an face to face interview. Also my role required a skills bench test which was awesome. The interviewers did an excellent job of presenting the company and making me feel like my time was appreciated. Their passion for the company was evident and contagious.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to constructive criticism/feedback?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, then had a phone interview with an hr associate in MN. She was very nice and we had a 20 minute conversation. I was advanced to go interview at the store. The interview was fairly low key but she did ask specifics on past work experiences and made sure the retail hours (evenings and weekends) and pay range were going to work for me.

Delivery Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Room & Board (Torrance, CA).

Interview

Interview with all three managers. Very easy, scripted and basic. No creativity involved basically they read generic questions from a management handbook. The managers have never done the job I was applying for so it was difficult to get a real feel for the duties.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Over the phone with HR rep.

Design Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewer will really dig on how you have gotten along with your peers in past work environments. They are looking to see if you fit into the culture. This type of culture is not for those that are reserved in nature. If you are on the quieter side, you may get the job but on down the road be viewed as not transparent enough and not "contributing" to your fullest. I like to go to work, do a good job, then go home and keep work and home life separate. This type of personality does not work well in this culture despite having been a top notch contributor, just more on the quiet side.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you opinion differed from another associates?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

I was interviewed by four people, two of whom seemed a little artificial, the other two seemed genuine. The interview questions concerned how I would handle a customer's indecision and how I might advance them to a sale.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince an undecided customer to make a purchase?   Answer Question

Design Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

Like everyone, I submitted an online application and was called by someone in HR for a phone interview that was like chatting with a good friend for nearly an hour. I was then invited to an interview in a hotel lobby (for new store opening in my city) where I moved from one interview to the next, and again had the feeling that this was more friendly conversation than formal interview. A surprisingly long--and fun--process.

Interview Questions

• We work in a team environment. As a team member, what do you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really was no negotiating. I came with a lot of experience and this was a pretty steep pay cut, but felt that if R&B really was the kind of company they appeared to be, a lower salary would be worth it. It was and is.