Room & Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Room & Board Interview Questions

Interviews at Room & Board

Visual Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board (Albuquerque, NM) in January 2019.

Interview

I had a very relaxed, positive, informative initial interview with the super kind & upbeat HR person & have waited 2 months with no response, even after professionally following up to inquire about the position and my interest. It surprises me greatly that a wonderful company such as Room & Board, who gets VERY high accolades from current and past employees, would not have a thoughtful, professional interview reply practice, to at very least inform a potential candidate of his or her application status, especially after an initial interview. I feel that my experience and values really match up with this company and yet, now I am questioning the culture a bit from what feels like total disregard for my sincere effort and interest in engaging in employment inquiry process.

Interview Questions

• Can you work well with little supervision in the store display changeout process?   1 Answer

Mar 28, 2019 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our recruitment team strives to offer the best candidate experience possible and is always in touch with anyone who applies to our... More

Warehouse Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

Phone interview was maybe25 minutes and pleasant . Didn't feel uncomfortable like a lot of phone interviews do. It seems like a good company and work environment to be apart of.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

Absolutely ridiculous process, waited over 3 weeks for a phone interview, waited a week for an in person interview, and then I waited 2 more weeks to hear I didn’t get the job. I would not waste my time with this company. You could have a job with a much better company in a day or two

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a pretty easy interview process. They were professional. Ultimately no growth for upward movement.

Repair Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

**This is an edited review, as HR has reached out to me, and I want that effort on their part to be recognized.

I applied online, process too approximately 4 - 5 weeks from application to end.

After applying online, within a few days we had a phone interview scheduled. After that, an in person interview at the location. Quickly after that, I had a phone interview with the DM and District head of HR ... all of these went really well and I had a good feeling: shortly after the 2 phone calls, they wanted me to come in for a "bench test". Ok, sure.

I took an unpaid day off from my current job and went in. All kinds of positive language like "these are the typical things YOU WILL SEE" eg. Ok cool. I tackled everything they put in front of me with minimal guidance since they were apparently, or I presumed, that the technician conducting the "test" was guaguing my competence.

After working on approx. 8 pieces/projects for 6+ hours, unpaid, I felt that everything had gone well. This was not to be the case, as 2 days later I got a voice mail saying all kinds of positive things, but that I didn't hit what they felt was a "level of skill" needed and that they weren't "moving forward with (my) application"...

After 5 interviews, 2 on site visits, positive feedback, positive language, and seemingly good culture/personality fit... the "bench test" almost felt like a formality... then boom.

I received little feedback from the technician other than all the pieces I was working on were "going to outlet", so I had no sense of what was expected out of someone coming in cold for a "first day" experience. As stated above, I genuinely thought things had gone well.

I strongly feel that if I had had an opportunity to grow into this role, I would have been successful. Everyone I met or spoke to was very professional and courteous, but perhaps that is why I felt so frustrated after investing so much time.

Interview Questions

Room & Board Response

Nov 28, 2018 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and please accept our sincere apology. Bench tests are required for a few of our highly specialized roles and can be time consuming. We... More

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Golden Valley, MN) in December 2018.

Interview

Met with the HR Director at a SHRM meeting, where the position was brought up. Applied online. Was told that they would begin screening applications for the position in about a month. Heard back 3 weeks later requesting a phone interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager. This lasted about 45-60 minutes. Some behavioral questions, but mostly informational. Invited for an in-house interview 2 weeks later. These interviews took two hours, and they were in rotations of 30 minutes each, and you typically interview with 1-2 people at a time. These are behavioral, but it is designed to make you feel very comfortable. They offer their own feedback, converse with you, and make the entire process very seamless. Heard back 3 days later with an offer, which I accepted.

SAP Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board (Golden Valley, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process was fairly smooth. I applied on the company website and conducted a phone interview about a week later. I was brought in for an in person interview with the hiring manager and HR manager. Pretty typical interview, HR Manager focused on behavioral questions while hiring manager focused on technical questions. The hiring manager asked a lot of repeat questions which kind of threw me off. Overall a typical experience.

Part Time Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room & Board.

Interview

I was interviewed by four people, two of whom seemed a little artificial, the other two seemed genuine. The interview questions concerned how I would handle a customer's indecision and how I might advance them to a sale.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince an undecided customer to make a purchase?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Filled out a long online application. Was called by hiring recruiter and had a 20 minute phone interview. They want long term employees who are committed to having a career with the company. Very nice people.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Room & Board in June 2012.

Interview

10+ interviews that occurred over a timeframe of 3 weeks. Many folks from separate parts of the company. Very disjointed, not a great first impression. ONe of the folks forgot the meeting and didn't show up.

Interview Questions

• What about our guiding principles attracts you? Very pompous process. Lot's of speak around the guiding principles until you get hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation. They refuse to negotiate. Tells you a lot about your future employer......

Jul 12, 2016 – Manager

Our best candidates appreciate our thoughtful and thorough approach to the interview process to ensure that we have the right person in the right role. Similar to our product pricing strategy, when... More