Sandia National Laboratories Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in January 2019.

Interview

Panel interview with seven panelists each from a different discipline. Each panelist asked a question. At the end, facilitator asked if I had any questions. Process was very efficient. Interview started and ended on time.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories in March 2020.

Interview

I applied to five jobs on Sandia's website (via their job portal) and got a phone interview about a week after applying. After that interview, another week passed before my onboarding at Sandia began (lots of paperwork for background checks and stuff).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had difficulty working with a team member and how you ensured the team's progress.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I spoke to an engineer at Sandia at a career fair, and a couple hours later was called and asked if I was available to meet for a career discussion later that day. I met with a guy who was in charge of 2 internship programs and we clicked, and later I was notified I had gotten the position.

Interview Questions

• What is one time you had to deal with a difficult teammate or situation? How did you fix it.   Answer Question

Cyber Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northfield, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Northfield, VT) in February 2020.

Interview

From 6-12 questions about programming and cybersecurity, they wanted to see my level of experience in both subjects to gauge whether I was a good fit for the position or not.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

Series of behavioral and technical interviews culminating in an onsite interview with technical presentation, met with multiple team leads and engineer team members. Multiple panels and evaluations from different teams.

Interview Questions

• Can you provide an example of when you... (Behavioral leadership questions)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories in December 2019.

Interview

Applied online through indeed. Got a response after about 2 months. Got an email for a short introductory call after which we proceeded to set up an interview 2 weeks later. I got a webex call with 5 interviewers

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in November 2019.

Interview

Technical phone call then a formal two day on site interview with a presentation, closed door question and answer session (mostly behavioral) and lab tour. There was a long wait between the phone screen and the in person interview.

No offer, but emailed personally to deliver the bad news which was a nice thought.

Graduate Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories.

Interview

I was asked to broadly describe my research experience in my graduate program. I was then asked specific questions about my experience related to the internship requirements. This included my prior CFD work (which I explained in my resume) and my competence in heat transfer and fluid mechanics. The interview was over the phone, and lasted 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What kind of convection problems have you dealt with during your prior heat transfer modeling projects?   1 Answer

Computer Science R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

Very strange experience. I was contacted by a recruiter TWO YEARS after applying. Then, I get set up with an interview for a position that's not even close to the job I (re)applied for. A month later I get a call from another manager. First call is good. Then I have a technical phone interview which goes well. Then I get invited to interview on base, which goes, I think, very well (I got the 'ol "how soon can you start?" question as I was dropped off).

About a month later my would-be supervisor schedules a phone interview. He asks about my interests and tells me where he sees me fitting in. He tells me I will get a call the following week from the hiring manager about start date, pay, etc.. He even gives me his mobile number(!) so I can reach out with any questions. The pieces appear to be falling into place and I'm really really pumped, but I don't hear anything the following week. I contact the supervisor who says he was out of town. I wait two more weeks before reaching out again but receive another evasive response. At this point I realize that I'm being ghosted and that there is no job (though I hold a sliver of hope). About a month later I get in contact with another recruiter and ask for a status update. A few days later I'm informed via email that they went with another candidate.

Now, let me be clear: if I was informed early on that I wasn't going to get an offer I would've left a positive review bc my experience until the very end was positive. Unfortunately, I wasn't informed early on, and I likely wouldn't have ever been contacted had I not took the initiative myself.

Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2019.

Interview

I was invited to do an on-site interview at the Albuquerque site without having to do a phone interview. It was originally supposed to be two one-hour group interview sessions then a one hour lunch.

In the first interview session, I was interviewed by eight people who worked as engineers in the department. The interviewers were friendly and asked questions about my resume and some behavioral questions. We had time left over so they gave me a tour of one of the labs which was pretty cool.

The second interview session was similar. Originally, there were supposed to be three senior engineers interviewing me, but only one was able to show up. Like the first session, I was asked behavioral questions and questions about my resume. We had time left over and got a tour of another lab.

During lunch, me, the senior engineer, and the hiring manager went outside to go to a New Mexican restaurant. I ordered a burrito with green chile, which was really good, and had a good chat.

We went back to Sandia, and it turns out that the interview still wasn't over. Because two of the senior engineers couldn't make it to the second interview, they had to find someone else from another department to interview me due to some policy. It took them two hours to find another person, and the person was a technologist from another department. This interview was pretty short and most of the time I just asked questions. And thus, the interview was finally over.

Three weeks after the interview, I still haven't heard back, so I emailed a follow up asking about my current status. Within a day, I got a response and it turns out I won't be offered the position. I was disappointed, but I sent them an email thanking them for the interview and moved on.

Interview Questions

• Talk about one of the projects you worked on. What was your role and what was the result?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sandia National Laboratories (Albuquerque, NM) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process moves very slowly. From the application submission in early July to interview at the end of September it took 3 months. I was initially contacted by recruiter who found me on Linkedin in June. This recruiter was recruiting for Livermore. I spoke to the recruiter for about an hour; it was primarily a screening call. After speaking with the recruiter for Livermore, I went online and applied directly to a position of interest in Albuquerque, NM in early July. I received a call in late August from the ABQ office asking if I was still interested in the position and I would receive an email with an "agenda" for a meeting. It was not very clear what this meeting was referencing. Eventually, I was informed that Sandia would fly me out for the interview and the agenda referenced was the agenda for the interview day. It took about three weeks from the time I was contacted for interview to be arranged. Sandia will fly you out the night before the interview and fly you back the next day. I was expected to give 45 minute presentation as part of the interview day. Not many details were shared about the structure of the presentation. The interview started at 9am in the morning and ended at 4pm with back to back interviews and a break for lunch with a member of the team. I interviewed with about 8 people by the end of the day, which included a panel with 4 people. The presentation was with the team with approximately 15-20 people. The hiring manager referenced during the interview it would take a couple of weeks to follow up. I received a verbal offer about month later at the end of October. The interview process is exhausting so it's best to rest and the stamina to get through the enite day of interviews after traveling, in particular, across the country. The presentation probably holds a significant amount of weight during the interview so practice, practice.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe emerging global security threats?   1 Answer
    • Interview was more conversational in relation to my professional work experience.   Answer Question