SendGrid Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO).

Interview

They put a very high emphasis on culture and values throughout the process and simply tried to get to know me to better understand if I was a good match. The questions are all basic and nothing out of the ordinary. Expect to talk with up to 5 different members of your potential team - they want the whole team to have a say in the hiring decision. Overall, it was a great experience!

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Boulder, CO).

Interview

They threw way more people into the interview than necessary. It seemed they were just trying to get interview experience for current employees, but they value they added was marginal. Process took way too long (over 30 days) and my job title ended up being changed the day I started anyways, so the job I interviewed for is not the job I got, which I didn't realize until later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Have another offer, and negotiate hard to market rate base salary. You won't see another pay increase until you get an "external promotion" aka "leave for somewhere better".

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, one with company recruiter and one with a developer. Both seemed to go okay. In the developer interview I had coded with collabedit. Then I was given a relatively complex coding assignment and was asked to return it in one or two days. I did that at a large amount of inconvenience. Didn't hear back for two weeks and then was given a generated email rejection.

Interview Questions

• Culture seems to be big here, so there's lots of unexpected questions around that.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO).

Interview

Went through the HR screening process and was later scheduled to have a technical interview with one of their senior software engineers. The technical interview went over generic questions about design patterns like "what is polymorphism", etc. and later went on to use a collaborative text editor only to be asked to implement a binary search method. The description of the position listed PHP as the primary language and made no mention of any language were you would ever need to [re-]implement something like this, thus I ended the interview. Forming this same question as a pre-interview exercise would have been much more appropriate. I would never take a position where I had to solve difficult problems that require concentration while having someone breathing down my neck, and for the same reason I would never take a position that screens employees utilizing this setting.

There is an unlimited list of programming concepts that one needs to selectively navigate depending on the requirements of the specific role or craft you want to work in/with. Asking questions that do not apply to that role during an interview is poor form. Test the knowledge and experience relative to the role instead of just trying to test what a candidate doesn't know (you'll pass up on plenty of great programmers). I've worked with plenty of people in the past that were better at reading technical articles and explaining design patterns while not knowing when and when not to apply them, much less being able to get work done in a reasonable time-frame.

Interview Questions

• Implement a binary search method; I fully expected the next question to be "describe a btree structure and it's variants". :)   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Anaheim, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was interviewing for their Anaheim Location in California. It was a long, but a relatively easy series of interviews. Beware though the Co-Founder makes the final decision even if you get along great with the team and are very technically skilled--you may still not get the job. Please read my experience below!

I was initially contacted by a recruiter, after submitting my resume, who asked me questions based on past experiences and typical HR questions. I was then scheduled for a technical phone interview with one of their web architects. The technical phone interview questions mainly focused on algorithm type questions (find unique values in array, etc.). After successfully completing the phone interview, I was then scheduled for an on site interview where I met with them team i was going to presumably work with and one of the co-founders.

I first met with two members of the group, separately, where they asked a few technical questions (showed me PHP code and asked what it did), but they focused more in telling me about the group and making sure I would be a fit for their group. We got along great and I'm sure they would have agreed with me that I would have been able to fit in perfectly.

I then finally met with one of their co-founders who asked me how a Hash Table is implemented and explained a little bit about the company's history. Afterwards I asked many questions about the business and then we got into the discussion of how I would fit in. He told me he was going to have me come in for one final interview to be considered for a position as a Release Engineer (which made no sense since I thought I was already being considered for a position with the group i just interviewed with). Ultimately he said that I would be considered for the other position as well. And right before I left he said that he has received really good feed back from the rest of the team and that I would be contacted for a final interview.

A few days later, after waiting for my next interview to be set up, I got an email stating i was being rejected......How does somebody ask you to come for a final interview only to cancel on you and reject you later. Supposedly he said after thinking about it more he thought that I wouldn't have been a "good fit", even though I got along great with the team. My Technical skills also weren't the issue since he said that I was very intelligent and my motivation was impressive.

Its sad because everything was going so well and I really liked the team there!!. Would have loved to work at SendGrid, but ultimately their Co-Founder thought differently. Oh well his LOST!!!!! :)

Interview Questions

• How is a Hash Table implemented?   Answer Question
    • Other computer science questions asked where directly taken from Google Code Jam!   2 Answers

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid in May 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR of company. The process is straightforward, which is a Phone interview and followed by an on site interview. Phone interview is just a process of knowing each other. Two engineer interviewed me during the on site interview. First one asked some general questions. For example, how to shuffle an array (programming) and some other OOP concepts such as difference between instance and class, what is constructor, inheritance, abstract class, pure virtual function. The second engineer asked retrieve several email lists from different url and return what email address occurs multiple time in these url. The email address are stored in the JASON format in the urls. I used a python package to retrieve the information. Everything goes very well during the interview.
    I solved the problem very quickly and was told by the HR that the decision will be made in a week.
    However, I was declined a month later after sending couple emails to the HR.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

First recruiter called and after introduction interview over phone, he said that he like to arrange an on site interview for me.
    I went to Anaheim office and there two employee interviewed me.
    First interview was very general questions of do you know this do you know that plus one simple programming question which i needed to write on the board (binary search on an array).
    Second was another simple programming question on the board plus an database design with ER diagrams.
    The feedback process is slow. although they told me that they will inform me in 2 days, it took them 10 days to tell me about decision and took me 3 emails asking "did you make your decision?" and geting the reply "sorry it will be finalize within 2 days" every time

Interview Questions

• Non programming questions like what is sql injection, which I barely could remember.
      Programming questions were simple:
        1. binary search
        2. finding weather or not there are two numbers in a given array that their sum is equal to a given value.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Orange, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met them at a career fair and talked to one of the engineers, who was really nice. I had a technical phone interview which consisted of various CS concepts. On-site was one round of coding and hiring manager. Overall, straightforward interview process with Leetcode easy questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Two parts: a phone screen asking basic experience/skillset related questions. That was followed by an onsite with two rounds. First round a technical interview with 2 engineers on the team involving some data structures/algo questions + role-specific applied technical questions. Second round was with a manager and involved behavioral questions.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SendGrid.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview in the next few weeks. I spoke to a recruiter for about 30 minutes. It was fairly easy, just going through my resume and background. Was asked all of the generic interview questions you could think of, which was a little weird.

I was told that I would hear back about the next round in a few days, but a month and half later I not heard anything back. I ended up accepting an offer at another company, but was turned off with the process at sendgrid. It felt very unorganized (multiple people reaching out that clearly didn't know someone else had reached out already) and frankly it is quite rude and unprofessional to never communicate back to candidates who took the time to interview with you.