Sierra Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sierra Club

2.9

Community Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Richmond, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Community Outreach Coordinator Position at the Richmond, Va Chapter and received an interview request two days later. I was told that they were hoping for a fairly quick hiring process and we scheduled my phone interview for a week and a half later. The phone interview went really well! I felt like I connected well with the hiring manager and I was very enthusiastic and showed my excitement for the position. The woman was pretty professional over the phone and I got a great feeling about the office and work environment.

The phone interview happened on a Friday and I received an email Monday evening telling me two things: One that I was qualified for an in person interview (to be scheduled the following week on a Thursday or Friday) and that the hiring manager would get back to me by the end of that current week with a time. Secondly I was asked for a sample of my writing, which I wrote and sent back in a few hours after receiving the email.

I waited and didn't receive an email by the end of the week and decided to follow-up on Sunday evening with an email inquiry. I was working full time and needed ample time to ask off for the interview that was to be scheduled. I did not hear anything the next day which was a Monday so I decided to give the office a call on Tuesday morning. No one answered so I left a message explaining that I needed to ask off that day if I was going to be able to participate in an in-person interview that Thursday or Friday. I waited and did not receive a phone call or email. Thursday came and went and on Friday I received a rejection email telling me that a lot of people had applied and they decided to go with a more qualified candidate, but that they hoped I would join in their fight by volunteering. They also informed me that because of the amount of applications they had received they wouldn't be able to respond to any application questions based on my application experience.

I was honestly shocked by the lack of professionalism and communication by their office. I was told that I had qualified for an in-person interview, but wasn't given the curtesy of a time scheduled. At the time I was very disappointed because I thought I wanted this job more than any other job I had applied to. After my experience I realized that it was probably for the best because if this is how they communicate with and treat potential employees, then I can't imagine the lack of communication and order they have in the work environment with current employees.

My advice to anyone applying to the Richmond, Virginia Chapter is to take it slow, interview the hiring manager just as much as they're interviewing you, and make sure you're aware that a lack of communication may be a possibility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?
      Why do you want to work for the Sierra Club?
      Define Climate Change in your own words.
      Tell me what your greatest strength is.
      Tell me what your greatest weakness is.   Answer Question

SSC Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sierra Club.

Interview

Applied online, emailed with the hiring manager, had a phone interview and got the job. Super friendly, very straightforward. Just be enthusiastic and upbeat, they are looking for people that can fit into the culture. Be able to explain why you want the position, why you want to be at the Sierra Club, and how you will mutually benefit the organization.

Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

I filled out an application with a long essay question/personal statement. My interview was over the phone because the panel interviewers were on the opposite end of the country. They asked me about my interest in working for the Sierra Club, my interest in environmental issues, and my strengths and personal qualities.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember... the interview took place a long ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was pre-set; there was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

Two interviews; first a phone interview with direct supervisor, and second a video interview with direct supervisor and colleague.
    Both interviews lasted about 20 minutes each, with quite a bit of time taken up by position description.
    Entire process took about three weeks (moves very slow).

Interview Questions

• Why is social equity important to you?
      What are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was a very standard behavioral question based interview. The interviewer was a bit cold and i didn't think she liked me until she offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• - why i chose my major
      - what i want to get out of the internship position
      - future goals   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Providence, RI) in May 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview because I was out of state at the time. The interview was around 45 minutes and was a fairly typical interview. By the end of the interview, I felt like I was having a conversation with my interviewer more than I was being quizzed or evaluated. It was clear that they were looking for someone who fit the ideals of the organization and really expressed that the internship experience was what you chose to make of it.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have that would make you successful in this position?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA).

Interview

1st round e-interview via hangout with potential manager & interim employee. 2nd round: travel to HQ for series of interviews with leadership & team members (5 in total). 3rd round e-interview: connect with Union Rep.

Litigation Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

At first their was a phone interview with the Director of the department. After that they followed up with an in person interview. The in person interview was with the senior manager and 5 other current litigation assistant employees.

Interview Questions

• What, other than those related to climate change, is one of the biggest threats to the environment?   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

good, felt comfortable and the environment was relaxing. They expect you to have the same passion and eagerness to move the company forward and fight there fight. My position was more can you make us more able to fight laws that stop us from protecting our goals.

Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

After sending in my resume and cover letter, they asked that I complete a written evaluation of my skills. Afterward, I was interviewed by a group of 5-6 people. I was not offered a position.