Sierra Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA).

Interview

1st round e-interview via hangout with potential manager & interim employee. 2nd round: travel to HQ for series of interviews with leadership & team members (5 in total). 3rd round e-interview: connect with Union Rep.

Associate Organizing Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had an initial 30-minutes phone interview that asked basic questions. A few days later, I was invited into the office for a second interview, this time with 4 other staff members.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

Two interviews; first a phone interview with direct supervisor, and second a video interview with direct supervisor and colleague.
    Both interviews lasted about 20 minutes each, with quite a bit of time taken up by position description.
    Entire process took about three weeks (moves very slow).

Interview Questions

• Why is social equity important to you?
      What are you interested in this position?

Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

After sending in my resume and cover letter, they asked that I complete a written evaluation of my skills. Afterward, I was interviewed by a group of 5-6 people. I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted two days after I submitted my application and was asked for a skype interview the next week. The interview was pretty normal, why I wanted the position, why I would be a good fit, what ideas I had to write about, etc. Then two days after that they offered me the position.

Community Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Richmond, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Community Outreach Coordinator Position at the Richmond, Va Chapter and received an interview request two days later. I was told that they were hoping for a fairly quick hiring process and we scheduled my phone interview for a week and a half later. The phone interview went really well! I felt like I connected well with the hiring manager and I was very enthusiastic and showed my excitement for the position. The woman was pretty professional over the phone and I got a great feeling about the office and work environment.

The phone interview happened on a Friday and I received an email Monday evening telling me two things: One that I was qualified for an in person interview (to be scheduled the following week on a Thursday or Friday) and that the hiring manager would get back to me by the end of that current week with a time. Secondly I was asked for a sample of my writing, which I wrote and sent back in a few hours after receiving the email.

I waited and didn't receive an email by the end of the week and decided to follow-up on Sunday evening with an email inquiry. I was working full time and needed ample time to ask off for the interview that was to be scheduled. I did not hear anything the next day which was a Monday so I decided to give the office a call on Tuesday morning. No one answered so I left a message explaining that I needed to ask off that day if I was going to be able to participate in an in-person interview that Thursday or Friday. I waited and did not receive a phone call or email. Thursday came and went and on Friday I received a rejection email telling me that a lot of people had applied and they decided to go with a more qualified candidate, but that they hoped I would join in their fight by volunteering. They also informed me that because of the amount of applications they had received they wouldn't be able to respond to any application questions based on my application experience.

I was honestly shocked by the lack of professionalism and communication by their office. I was told that I had qualified for an in-person interview, but wasn't given the curtesy of a time scheduled. At the time I was very disappointed because I thought I wanted this job more than any other job I had applied to. After my experience I realized that it was probably for the best because if this is how they communicate with and treat potential employees, then I can't imagine the lack of communication and order they have in the work environment with current employees.

My advice to anyone applying to the Richmond, Virginia Chapter is to take it slow, interview the hiring manager just as much as they're interviewing you, and make sure you're aware that a lack of communication may be a possibility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?
      Why do you want to work for the Sierra Club?
      Define Climate Change in your own words.
      Tell me what your greatest strength is.
      Tell me what your greatest weakness is.

Deputy Press Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

The position was initially posted about six months ago. I applied after seeing the opening two months later. After another month I found out there was a delay because the person supervising the position was changing. After another month I was contacted by phone to see if I was still interested in the position. After several more weeks I recontacted to see what the status was and was advised I'd be contacted for for a phone screening. I was finally scheduled for a 15 minute phone screening a week later. After doing the phone screening, no contact from them for three weeks. Found out through other channels that they had sent around internal emails seeking additional candidates after the phone screening. Called back the interviewer to see what the status was and was advised someone else would contact me. Subsequently was advised that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How I would address issues of inclusiveness with a diverse set of stakeholders.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was a very standard behavioral question based interview. The interviewer was a bit cold and i didn't think she liked me until she offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• - why i chose my major
      - what i want to get out of the internship position
      - future goals

Political Compliance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

I found the job online. I applied and got an email in about 2 days about when to set up a phone interview. We had to do some schedule maneuvering because the interviewer was traveling.

We had about a 20 minute phone conversation about the position and what it entailed. While I had a lot of experience that would have been perfectly relevant, I was disappointed to find that the job seemed to be geared more towards training than research (the job description made me think it was more of a research position with its emphasis on gathering information, managing reports, etc.). What was also not listed at all in the job description was traveling to do these trainings.

I was a bit caught off guard and I think that probably reflected in my interview. The interviewer seemed more interested in having someone who had already done actual trainings before.

The interviewer said he'd let me know by the middle of the following week. The end of the following week went by plus a few more days and I followed up by email. In reply I received a form email letting me know I did not get the position. It was a little disappointing to have to prompt them in order to find out whether I should move on or not.

I never met the interviewer in person. Honestly I wasn't too upset because while I had been very excited when I read the job posting, the fact that travel wasn't listed as part of the job made me wary and the emphasis on training during the interview (despite not having been thoroughly detailed in the job posting) told me this wasn't going to be a good fit. It wasn't a lot of trips (5-6 total a year across the country I think) but travel is usually listed in job postings and it seemed very odd that this wasn't at all mentioned if it's required to train people.

Interview Questions

• What interested me in this position? Did I have experience in conducting trainings? What was my experience with campaign finance compliance?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was requested for a phone interview a few weeks later. Applications are submitted through the national chapter and you are contacted based on the position you applied for. I had issues with the local interviewer obviously not thoroughly reading my cover letter and the organization never following up as a whole. This is disappointing since you expect more from a " socially conscious" organization.

Interview Questions

• Overall basic phone interview questions: ask about experience and go into an in-depth explanation of the role. Major issue with no follow up.   1 Answer