Sierra Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2017

2.9

Program Training Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

40 minutes over google hangout or phone. Fourteen resumes chosen from hundreds of applicants. Within days of interviewing everyone, called up everyone to let them know if they were selected or not and explained why or why not. Very considerate and professional.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Oakland, CA).

Interview

1st round e-interview via hangout with potential manager & interim employee. 2nd round: travel to HQ for series of interviews with leadership & team members (5 in total). 3rd round e-interview: connect with Union Rep.

Associate Organizing Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had an initial 30-minutes phone interview that asked basic questions. A few days later, I was invited into the office for a second interview, this time with 4 other staff members.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

Two interviews; first a phone interview with direct supervisor, and second a video interview with direct supervisor and colleague.
    Both interviews lasted about 20 minutes each, with quite a bit of time taken up by position description.
    Entire process took about three weeks (moves very slow).

Interview Questions

• Why is social equity important to you?
      What are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Grant Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sierra Club (New York, NY).

Interview

After sending in my resume and cover letter, they asked that I complete a written evaluation of my skills. Afterward, I was interviewed by a group of 5-6 people. I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted two days after I submitted my application and was asked for a skype interview the next week. The interview was pretty normal, why I wanted the position, why I would be a good fit, what ideas I had to write about, etc. Then two days after that they offered me the position.

Community Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Richmond, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Community Outreach Coordinator Position at the Richmond, Va Chapter and received an interview request two days later. I was told that they were hoping for a fairly quick hiring process and we scheduled my phone interview for a week and a half later. The phone interview went really well! I felt like I connected well with the hiring manager and I was very enthusiastic and showed my excitement for the position. The woman was pretty professional over the phone and I got a great feeling about the office and work environment.

The phone interview happened on a Friday and I received an email Monday evening telling me two things: One that I was qualified for an in person interview (to be scheduled the following week on a Thursday or Friday) and that the hiring manager would get back to me by the end of that current week with a time. Secondly I was asked for a sample of my writing, which I wrote and sent back in a few hours after receiving the email.

I waited and didn't receive an email by the end of the week and decided to follow-up on Sunday evening with an email inquiry. I was working full time and needed ample time to ask off for the interview that was to be scheduled. I did not hear anything the next day which was a Monday so I decided to give the office a call on Tuesday morning. No one answered so I left a message explaining that I needed to ask off that day if I was going to be able to participate in an in-person interview that Thursday or Friday. I waited and did not receive a phone call or email. Thursday came and went and on Friday I received a rejection email telling me that a lot of people had applied and they decided to go with a more qualified candidate, but that they hoped I would join in their fight by volunteering. They also informed me that because of the amount of applications they had received they wouldn't be able to respond to any application questions based on my application experience.

I was honestly shocked by the lack of professionalism and communication by their office. I was told that I had qualified for an in-person interview, but wasn't given the curtesy of a time scheduled. At the time I was very disappointed because I thought I wanted this job more than any other job I had applied to. After my experience I realized that it was probably for the best because if this is how they communicate with and treat potential employees, then I can't imagine the lack of communication and order they have in the work environment with current employees.

My advice to anyone applying to the Richmond, Virginia Chapter is to take it slow, interview the hiring manager just as much as they're interviewing you, and make sure you're aware that a lack of communication may be a possibility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this position?
      Why do you want to work for the Sierra Club?
      Define Climate Change in your own words.
      Tell me what your greatest strength is.
      Tell me what your greatest weakness is.   Answer Question

Deputy Press Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

The position was initially posted about six months ago. I applied after seeing the opening two months later. After another month I found out there was a delay because the person supervising the position was changing. After another month I was contacted by phone to see if I was still interested in the position. After several more weeks I recontacted to see what the status was and was advised I'd be contacted for for a phone screening. I was finally scheduled for a 15 minute phone screening a week later. After doing the phone screening, no contact from them for three weeks. Found out through other channels that they had sent around internal emails seeking additional candidates after the phone screening. Called back the interviewer to see what the status was and was advised someone else would contact me. Subsequently was advised that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How I would address issues of inclusiveness with a diverse set of stakeholders.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was a very standard behavioral question based interview. The interviewer was a bit cold and i didn't think she liked me until she offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• - why i chose my major
      - what i want to get out of the internship position
      - future goals   Answer Question

Campaign Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sierra Club (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was personally recommended for the job by two different people - one inside the organization and one who knew the hiring manager personally. The interview process was pretty protracted - first a one-on-one skype interview, then another skype interview with five different people located in different parts of the country. I expressed interest in meeting in person with the two people located near me, but I never met anyone in person. There were long stretches of the time (weeks) in between each phase, both of which I followed up on, and after all that I never received any word on their hiring decision. (I had to follow up again a month or two later to find out that they'd hired someone else.)

Interview Questions

• How would I approach running a campaign in a city that didn't have a typical 'environmentalist' (i.e. white upper-class liberal) population?   Answer Question