Social Tables Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Associate Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an initial HR phone screen invite within a couple of days, which was then followed by a phone screen/coding interview with the VP of Engineering. I was tested on database queries.

I received an invite for in-person interview within a few days after my phone screen round with the VP of Engg, the in person interview was very organized and fun. First round was a pair programming session with one of the senior lead software engineer. He asked me to write a simple web application that would query a non-trivial database and then generate data visualizations (you get to choose the language, it can be python, Js or Java). Second round was a job fit which gave me an opportunity to share my past work experiences and whatever I've learnt from my mistakes. Last round was a culture fit interview (happens in a round robin fashion). They ask you to share experiences that would apply to each of Social Tables core values. I was finally asked to speak with the CEO of the company as the last and final step in the interview process and was offered the job the very next day. Overall, the process was smooth, quick and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you value data so much ? and can you share some details/insights about projects where you've used huge datasets and what was your approach in solving the data problem ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

It was challenging and fun! phone screen followed by a connect 4 coding challenge. after reviewing my challenge, i was brought in for an interview with my direct team, 3 non-engineers for a culture fit, and a CEO interview

Interview Questions

• Build a connect 4 web application using node.js and any client-side javascript libraries of your choice   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

There were one or two phone screens covering basic software engineering skills, but the meat of the process took place in the onsites. These interviews included:

- One round of standard engineering interview boilerplate. Covered knowledge of Node and other frameworks, networking, application architecture, etc. Pretty standard stuff, but actually focuses less on "traditional" compsci whiteboarding challenges; ST is a bit ahead of the curve in terms of overcoming the industry's tendency towards 4-year university elitism, and is extremely friendly to bootcamp graduates.

- One culture round featuring a panel with members of several teams. This round focused on making sure that a candidate connects well to all members of the org. Relaxed atmosphere, but definitely a little more serious than the average culture segment out there. Come prepared to act like a human being.

- One round of discussion about a recently completed project. Be prepared to defend your engineering decisions and take a deep dive into the mechanics of your solution.

Interview Questions

• Showcase a project that you've worked on recently, and describe its strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Tables.

Interview

I applied through their job portal.

----

1. Recruiter Phone Screen

2. 30 Minute Phone Screen
    Mostly going over your resume and determining what skills you have. No technical trivia questions.

3. 3 Hour Onsite
    3a. First hour: Present a project you're proud of (be sure to go into the details of your implementation, your setup, design considerations, etc...)
    3b. Second hour: Technical round robin discussion ("Rate X skill from 1 through 5", talk about what you know about Y)
    3c. Third hour: Culture fit (Address the core values and how they might impact you)

4. 1.5 Hour Lunch Interview
    Interview with team you might work with... Very informal

----

Tips for Success

1. Be unemployed - They are very aggressive about timeline, so if you can easily take time off or are not working, this is a non-issue. I had to go into their office twice...
    2. Figure out culture fit early - Notice how thy rush you into their office really quickly. You will not get a feel for the company with a 30 minute call (though everyone there seems to be on a tight schedule, so do not expect too much flexibility onsite. See if you can schedule another call to learn more about the office before you go in).
    3. Make sure their process fits your schedule - The fourth step above was originally a 20 minute call with their CEO (like past testimonies), but they switched it to another in-person meeting at the last minute. This did not bode well, and they were not willing to try for alternate arrangements.
    4. Make sure the people interviewing you in the fourth step has an agenda - It ended up with the team talking about smartphones, Apple products, board games, and other hobbies for 50 minutes and 20 minutes of actual work-related discussions (in that order). My educated guess was that they're trying to see if I would fit into their clique. Unfortunately, I learned I was not qualified this late in the process for the select few I might work with.
    5. You will interview at least a dozen employees. Your soft skills and social awareness skills will come in handy.
    6. Educated guess, but if they don't respond quickly after the last step, you probably did not get the position.

---

Summary

I am impressed with their business and the types of people they have working in their office! They do a great job keeping like-minded people in, hence why everyone has an awesome and welcoming attitude. However, like others in the past, it's not for everyone, and your job hunt resources are precious, so make sure you know what you are getting into before to engage deep in the interview process. Technically, as long you know some node, you're good. The difficult part was the culture fit.

In all honesty, the people were respectful, and I root for their success!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was very smooth. The interviewer was very nice but when the interview was happening, he seemed to be really busy and distracted. I enjoyed the interview process but i don't think i would be a good fit for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

5-part process: phone screen with a hiring manager on the BD team (or whichever team you applied for), a 2nd phone screen with another BD manager, then a 90 minute in-person interview panel that consists of two halves: culture (3 interviewers) and job fit (3 interviewers specifically from the BD team). Fifth step is a final phone call with the CEO. I received my offer the next day while speaking with the hiring manager. The whole process is incredibly transparent, which is a by-product of Social Tables' core values.

The phone screens are very important first steps--gauging your interest, discussing pertinent experiences, strengths, weaknesses, culture, team roles, position details, etc. It's a two-way street of information that helps to assess if there's mutual interest.

The culture interview is designed to loosen up the candidate before meeting with the team-specific panel and gauge how the candidate would contribute to the company's overall culture and core values. This was easily the best part of the entire process because the interviewers want the candidate to be him/herself. Very fun, laid back, and full of jokes and entertaining stories. Every company--large, medium, and small--should dedicated itself to a culture interview.

The job fit portion focuses on how you would fit within the BD team, which is very important because these are people you'll be working with every day. They want to know what skills and traits you'll bring to the team, and they'll also describe how everyone on the team works together on a daily basis.

The final call with the CEO covers your thoughts on the interview process and whether you'd want to clarify any comments in the previous interviews. Additional questions about your previous performance and what you think about their core values. I asked some questions and he was honest with his answers.

Tip: Be yourself and don't take yourself too seriously. It's a young company with a different attitude towards teamwork and success. It's not always about you; it's about collaboration, trust, honesty, and the desire to learn every day. If that's what you believe in, then the interview process is very straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What makes you weird? How do you like to be measured? If you were running a marketing campaign, how would you explain it to your 8 year old cousin? Tell us about one of your biggest accomplishments and how it impacted you. Tell us about a time you failed and what you did to overcome that failure. What are your career goals? What would your previous employers say was your strength? How would you rate your performance at your previous position? CEO: Is there anything that you said or did during this interview process that you wish you could clarify or take back?   Answer Question

Interview

5 interviews: 2 initial phone interviews, in person "culture" interview, in person "job-fit" interview, CEO interview. Everyone is very understanding, culture interview seemed to be the biggest deciding factor. Difficult, made me dig deep and really understand what the culture is like at Social Tables.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and how it impacted you - what did you do about it/what did you learn/how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Social Tables Response

Jun 8, 2015 – VP of People Operations

Thanks for the review and welcome to the company. We hope you'll help improve this process even in the future.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Social Tables.

Interview

2 phone screens, then in-person culture fit interview and job fit interview, then call with CEO. The in person was fun but very lengthy, as the two interviews were about 30 minutes each. They want to make sure they are hiring someone who will fit in very well with the company as it grows, so this was understandable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

After applying for the job on indeed, I was e-mailed by one of the managers at Social Tables requesting a mutually convenient time to conduct a brief interview over the telephone. After this interview, I was asked to schedule a second follow-up interview which was conducted the next week. The first interviewer had to reschedule for the next day due to a last-minute time time conflict and the next interviewer had to start the interview a few minutes late, due to an unspecified reason.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of your strengths and weaknesses. Why do you want to work for Social Tables? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Had 2 or 3 qualifying calls with 2 separate BD managers in about one week. After that, I was invited in to the office to interview. First part was a culture interview with people from various teams, asking more personal/culture type questions. Then had a BD-centric interview with people from the team I had applied for. Last step was to interview with the CEO. It's pretty cool that he personally screens each person who goes through the process.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Social Tables (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Entire process took about 2.5 weeks. Email response to my application to schedule an initial phone interview, followed by a second phone interview with a different manager later that week. The next stage is an in person interview with two rounds that lasted 30-40 minutes each- a culture interview and a job fit interview. Last stage is a 20 min phone call with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• List your last three jobs and tell us what score your manager would give you on a 1-10 scale.   Answer Question