Sonatype Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sonatype Interview Questions

Interviews at Sonatype

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Fulton, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Fulton, MD).

Interview

Fairly typical tech interview process. Initial discussion with recruiter -> technical screening -> 3-4 technical interviews. Additionally, there was a small take home project. It is a pretty big time investment for candidates, but the company is also investing time to thoroughly vet them. It is very apparent that they care about hiring high quality, thoughtful people.

Interview Questions

• Java 7/8, design patterns, system design, algorithms, data structures, problem solving   Answer Question
    • Agile methodologies, personal working style, software philosophy   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call with a recruiter asking about your job history. Followed by a technical phone screen. The interview process was fairly standard. There were a lot of questions geared towards Java concurrency, Java 7 and 8 language features and basic object oriented design patterns. It's clear that SonaType is looking for developers that have a deep breadth of exposure in Java.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the Singleton pattern?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonatype.

Interview

Technical questions interview after the recruiter interview, followed by a take home project that was disqualified because of their incorrect definition of how to translate numerals into English language equivalents. They also required the use of a build tool despite that never being communicated in the requirements provided.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sonatype (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application and despite a decade of experience I received a canned rejection letter. I was not given an explanation of why I was not considered. I believe I am qualified for the position and that it would have been a good fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Had 2 initial HR interviews with a very nice gentleman, then a 1-1 phone screen followed by a take home challenge. The phone screen was very heavily geared towards CI/CD tools, agile methodologies, Spring framework and in-depth Java. The take-home challenge wasn't difficult, but they expected you to write your own tests (using JUnit or similar), and provide build and run instructions and scripts. It's unlike other coding challenges in this regard, and thus I didn't think to include the tests and scripts with my submission. Because of that I was rejected.

I feel the company could have been a bit more explicit in their instructions for the challenge, but I guess they wanted to see if the candidate will naturally include these items with their submission.

Interview Questions

• Create a program that transforms a number into its English language equivalent   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Interview

I have been reached out by a few different recruiters about Sonatype. The positions seemed really interesting. I had applied months previously, but sent my resume to the recruiter 6 months later. I was shut down by Sonatype with no explanation other than “we’ve already see her resume.” I was reached out again by a different recruiter and I explained what happened previously, but she still wanted to present me as a candidate, so I agreed. Never heard back and at this point, I do not care anymore. Seems like a pompous company.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

Only did the phone screen, which was quite weird, the interviewer did not seem very prepared; it was more a Q&A discussion about the company than a clear presentation, and the input was quite limited.

Was not selected for the next interviews and the recruiter never explained why, which is not respectful.

Interview Questions

• Usual phone screen question related to the past experience, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sonatype (Telephone, TX) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied for this remote position and a few days later had a phone screen set up with their HR specialist. The interviewer asked about my previous experience along with what I liked best about remote work and past projects. At the end of the interview, I mentioned that I would be happy to partake in any technical tests or assignments to grade my skills. I also mentioned that they could check out samples of my work on GitHub.

The interviewer said that I sounded like a "good fit" and I would be contacted for next steps in a few days. Instead of any further steps taken, I received a canned rejection letter.

My conclusion is that the HR interviewer is either incompetent or for whatever reason didn't like my "sound" during the phone screen. This was not only unprofessional but does a disservice to this organization in that fully qualified are summarily rejected based on pure personal subjectivity.

Interview Questions

• What were some of your favorite projects? What do you like about remote work?   Answer Question

Security Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fulton, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Fulton, MD) in February 2018.

Interview

The process is definitely lengthy comprising around 1 phone screen, 1 phone technical screen, 1 takehome exercise, 3-4 1:1 video calls with different team members - both technical/cultural fit assessment, and finally a follow-up phone call with Recruitment. They are definitely very selective (which is good) so be prepared to commit some time! Also, be technically prepared. It's worth it.

Interview Questions

• Q: Technical concepts/fundamentals in addition to the newer concepts in the area.   Answer Question

Sonatype Response

Mar 21, 2019 – Director of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing feedback about your interview experience. While yes our process is in-depth we aim to ensure our candidates have a full understanding of the work they will be performing, the... More

Customer Success Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonatype (Remote, OR) in January 2018.

Interview

Initial discussion with recruiter. He asked great questions and made me feel very welcomed to ask questions of him. He was very clear on next steps and what to expect along the entire interview process, as well as how the decision to hire is made. Next, I completed a well-designed take home project, and proceeded with an additional 6 or so interviews with team members, manager, and VP. Each interview was about an hour, all conducted via video. Each interviewer set a conversational, easy tone while remaining very professional. I can say I truly enjoyed talking with each person. As someone else said in a recent review, I agree that "it is a pretty big time investment for candidates, but the company is also investing time to thoroughly vet them. It is very apparent that they care about hiring high quality, thoughtful people". It's well worth the time you put in, if the job and the organizational culture fit your preferred style of work. The entire process was smooth from start to finish. All interviews were done remotely.

Interview Questions

• Asked thoughtful questions throughout, and honed in on my experience with specific goals of the team in mind.   Answer Question