Storm8 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.2

Head of Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood Shores, CA).

Interview

Recruiter was prompt and informative, facilitating initial phone interviews. Gathered feedback swiftly leading to in-person interview sessions on-site. Staff were friendly and highly competent. They demonstrated a great path forward for the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve interactions between different working groups based on potential communication problems?   Answer Question

Video Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 in March 2016.

Interview

Started off with the typical phone interview screening with a recruiter to assess skills, personality, goals, etc. Because this position fell under the User Acquisition (pseudo-marketing) team, there was a project assigned to evaluate candidacy.

I had 3 days to create a storyboard sequence that tested for commercialization, acquiring more players, demographics, and [social]media. After reviewing the project, the department manager agreed to have a phone interview with me. From the start, it did not feel like we really 'clicked' during our conversation and certainly fell like the decision & my fate were determined before the interview really got started.

After that phone-call, I did not receive any response, feedback, or notification regarding the position or candidacy from Storm8, which I feel is a bit unprofessional especially for such a highly rated company.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working in the mobile gaming industry?   Answer Question

Design Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online and got a response within a few days. I spoke at length with the in-house recruiter. She was very professional and knowledgeable. Talked to the in-house recruiter. A few days later I had a 1-hour conversation with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• This was more of a brain-drain than an interview. The CEO seemed to be fishing for a strategy. to save his company. The same position has been posted for over a year. I have a feeling I was just one of many the CEO spoke to hoping to figure out what to do. The last few months have been filled with rumors of people leaving. Last week they had a 50% RIF. It all makes sense now. Too bad... there are talented people at Storm8.   Answer Question

2D Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

The first stages of interview were fine. I enjoyed speaking with the artists and solving art problems, but then it got weird. Very long 4 to 5 hour interview.

One team in particular asked me what my tolerance level was and told me they would curse and be politically incorrect and I better be ok with it. Horribly unprofessional in an interview. They didn't ask any real questions about skills and instead pried into my personal life.

The final bit of interview with management was going well until I expressed interest with working with them and management offered me a salary more than 50% below the area going rate for my position. This reeks of predatory behavior. I actually was going to walk when they doubled the base pay.

If you don't negotiate like a shark they'll happily destroy you. I felt they gave me the low offer because I'm a woman.

I took the job, but the red flags were good warnings I should have heeded.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for a higher starting salary as they want to low ball you. You make the offer and you hold the confidence. They notice any falter and they'll eat you up.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

The interviewer called in and asked some basic resume based questions. The Interviewe said that the battery was dying out and was on the way to work and would call me back. The interviewer called me back after 20-25 minutes and then gave a coderpad problem. I was halfway through it and there was only 5 mins left, was asked whether i had any questions.

Interim Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a brief call with the current HR Manager. They immediately followed up with an in person interview call for next week. I met with the HR Manager and their people head who is also one of the company founders. There as an HR coordinator who arranged for the interview and she was really sweet. I followed up with them as I was considering another offer and they said they have decided to go with some one else.

Interview Questions

• Questions centered around employee relations and performance appraisal process. They also asked how to be on track for compliance. The questions did't have much depth to it. Both the interviewers were nice but didn't seem to have much experience which is understandable as its is startup.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood Shores, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The overall process was very smoothly. I had a quick email exchange with a recruiter, and a phone interview with the CEO. After the phone screen, I came onsite a few days later and met with the team and the CEO - 5 people total, and it took around 4.5 to 5 hours. I received an offer very quickly (within 24 hours of coming onsite). Overall, it was a very pleasant, smooth and easy process.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to be doing in your career in two years? Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary - they asked how I handled certain situations, how I stayed organized, etc.   Answer Question

Outsourcing Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Friends help me to reach out the HR people. Start with a phone call with HR. Second phone interview with department manager and other team member. Final, in office interview with director and other team member.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone conversation with the recruiter before a phone screen. Later stage involves an on-site panel with multiple interviewers. Coding and algorithms. Multiple interviews. Emphasis on correctness and efficiency. More geared towards fresh grads. Interviewers are young but talented. Youth is reflected in the culture. Nice offices, lots of pets.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in person, followed by an HR phone screen (with minimal technical questions), online collaborative coding test (via phone and collabedit), and finally an on-site interview. The process was smooth and the recruiter was really great to deal with.

The coding test over the phone was not too tricky. I was able to correctly solve all the problems, but the interviewer wanted cleaner code in some cases. He was a nice enough guy, but it was hard to understand him at times due to his (Chinese) accent.

The on-site interview ramped up the difficulty considerably. I met with 3 different engineers (one after the other) and was asked 3 different questions (all LeetCode medium & hard difficulty problems). At the beginning of the interview, they say that they are interested in your 'thought process', so if you get stuck, just talk it out. Well, this is totally not true. All 3 engineers seemed nice, but as with the phone interview, they all had accents that made them difficult to understand at times. After they write the problem on the board, they will just sit there without any feedback.

For programming interviews, I learned that it is important to have a process to solving the problems: understand the problem (work through examples), write pseudo-code and work through examples and edge-cases, write actual code, then finally step through the code with a couple examples. It is a long process, but it shows your thought process to the interviewer.

Well, for this company, it seems that they really only care about the final code, so my above 'programming interview process' is kind of useless. On top of that, you have to type it out on a laptop via collabedit. I had working solutions to all 3 problems, but my code was sloppy and I didn't have time to go back and refactor.

It's a very stressful situation when you're asked a difficult question, get ZERO feedback as to how good or bad you are progressing, and then are expected to type out a complete solution with clean code in a limited time frame.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised at the difficulty of the questions given the fairly low-quality games they put out. I can't get into specifics due to NDA, but you will need to study LeetCode medium & hard difficulty problems.   Answer Question