Storm8 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Storm8

3.2

Sort:

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very smooth and quick.

I was contacted through LinkedIn about an open position at Storm8 and had a quick chat with the department head over the phone. I was then forwarded to their HR/Recruitment team. They were friendly and concise. A date for an in-person interview was made in under a week.

On the day of the interview, their HR team went out of their way to check in throughout the interview and make sure I had everything I needed (water, coffee, etc). It helped to create a relaxing and friendly environment (this is an important factor to me as interviewing can make me extremely nervous).

Interviews at Storm8 are done in a panel format where the team you will be working with interviews you two at a time. For my interview this was repeated three times, the fourth was with the department head alone. This is pretty standard for the Game Industry. Although I must say, I was impressed that they had reviewed my LinkedIn beforehand, had printed out copies of my LinkedIn profile, and asked pertinent questions while taking notes. This is not something that happens at most companies when going through the interview process. Expect to have a challenge question asked during your interview (brain teaser question).

They were both personable and efficient throughout. Time from first contact to offer - 10 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They listened to what I had stated in the interview portion and the offer letter reflected that statement.

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

I submitted my resume through employee referral, and it took about 2.5 weeks for a recruiter to contact me via email. We scheduled a phone interview a few days later with a senior team member. The phone chat was pleasant; really more of a get-to-know-you, personality barometer conversation with some discussion about experience and career path expectations. I was offered an in-person interview at the end of the call, and the recruiter contacted me later to set it up.

The in-person interview was a few rounds; overall I met with 4 people from what would be my direct team, and then with the recruiter to discuss salary expectations and benefits after the other interviews were over. Interview questions mainly focused on how your previous experience relates to the position you're applying for, and getting a feel for how you would handle the day to day tasks of the position. There were also some situational and brainteaser questions posed.

Negotiation

Recruiters take into consideration what your stated desired salary is from the conversation at your in-person interview. When I received my offer, I actually was satisfied with the original proposal, so I didn't feel the need to negotiate, but I'm sure you probably could. It doesn't seem like there are set salary caps for positions, so it's best to be upfront about what you want during that salary conversation so that your recruiter can negotiate something you'll be happy with.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Got a Call from the recruiter. Talked to me about the benefits and perks of the company, as well as the role. Went in for the on-site interview, met with members of the team and the co-founders. Every was very positive and excited about the growth of the company.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a series of brain teaser and analytical questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website, one recruiter call, one shared doc coding test, and then the onsite. The online test was done with a programmer over the phone. They used to do automated Codility tests, but do not anymore. It was the rotated array question, which seems to be pretty standard for them. The interviewer wanted a very specific solution to the problem, I had a solution that worked but apparently it wasn't "clean" enough for him, even though it worked in the optimal O(log(n)) time. Anyways after some conversation I got it where he wanted.

The onsite questions were a little harder. They all seem to be recursion/dynamic programming problems. None of them have anything to do with mobile or gaming and are general algorithm problems you might see at Google or Amazon. I got through the first questions, but after asking the first few engineers some questions, I decided I didn't really want to work there and kind of blanked on the last problem. Also they second guy I interviewed with was working on his laptop for 90% of the interview, he didn't really talk for the first 30 minutes after writing the question on the whiteboard. This is funny because the recruiter told me communication is a big thing they look at during the interviews, if you can explain why you are doing what you are doing it is a good thing even if it isn't exactly right. That is blatantly false, as the interviewers want only the most optimal solution and perfect code.

Really all of my mobile game programming experience did not matter, they only care about problem solving skills. This is good for people that want to get into the game industry and have no experience, although I'd argue Storm8 isn't really in the game industry. From a tech perspective they really seem to be behind and just approach each game release with a blunt force approach. When they told me how they port their games to Android I just giggled. And "game" is a generous term when talking about Storm8 titles. They are just a bunch of clones that they push out at fast as possible. As an experienced game programmer, they are not a company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• NDA prevents me from specifying the onsite questions, but like I said they are all hard recursion/dynamic programming problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Talked to recruiter on the phone. The recruiter is very nice. You get to learn about the projects and cool stuff going on at storm8. Then there is 1 round of phone interview. Basic coding questions and some personality check, communication skill check etc. Then there is 4 questions for onsite. Most questions are data structure and algorithm.

Interview Questions

• Some algorithm questions can be pretty hard, be sure to study   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

A recruiter had contacted me for this position. Apparently they were looking to add more titles and hiring massively that year. She scheduled a phone interview which lasted about an hour. The interviewer was very friendly and smart. She asked me to solve a few problems and write the code in collabedit. She was helpful and provided hints when necessary. I got stuck in one of the problems and took a while to get back on track. So, they decided not to move further.

Interview Questions

• A sorted array of integers is rotated. Find the position of the minimum element in the rotated array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Storm8 (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Referred by one of my friends. Got an phone interview with HR, mainly went through the resume. Followed by a tech interview, and I was asked to write a function in the CollabEdit. The question is to find the rotated point of a rotated sorted array.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A headhunter got in touch with me regarding this company that I had never heard of. She forwarded my details to the recruiter who didn't like my profile but gave me a courtesy call and tried to sell this company to me like it was Google. She said I had a non technical background. Got the rejection through headhunter but never heard back from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Never even got a phone screen. I wonder why the recruiter even called.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume online and get an online test, then have a phone interview with a engineer. After that, onsite in CA with 3 back-to-back interview. Interviews are based on the basic algorithms, need to master array, permutation and have very clear thoughts on the problems and your codes.