Synchronoss Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Synchronoss Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2017

2.9

Senior Android Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synchronoss.

Interview

First was a call with their internal recruiter to find out about the company and see if I would want to move forward with a initial technical phone interview. The technical phone was question after question about Android SDK, threads, services, activity lifecycle, async threads and alternatives (lots here). SQL storage, content providers etc... so if you have been programming in Android for a few years you should have no trouble. In the end I was rejected because their engineering manager said I had mostly experience building apps from the ground up and no "legacy code experience"....huh? Thats a first for me. Most companies WANT experience building apps from the ground up. The recruiter should have vetted me on that requirement before wasting my time. So I probably I dodged a bullet because they have one old app with 20 devs working on it...so the new guy would most likely be working on some old legacy spaghetti code trying to make sense of it....based on the reviews here for Synchronoss that makes sense.

Interview Questions

• How do content providers work (with regards to saving and retrieving SQL data)   Answer Question

Synchronoss Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your interview with us. We take our candidate experience to heart, and are very sorry to hear that your time with us did not meet your ... More

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synchronoss.

Interview

Based on the reviews I have read here it seems this company is polarizing--either the interview process is positive or negative and the job experience the same. My experience falls into the less-than-awesome category.

I applied online and was contacted within a couple hours. Phone screener seemed congenial and well-versed in the company. Discussion went over an hour, which I thought a little excessive. Convinced me to speak with a manager-level resource who could answer the questions I had. I was on the fence about continuing based on the discussion and the reviews I was reading while talking to the recruiter. My fault for not doing my homework prior to applying. I did want to keep an open mind and have my own experience, however.

Had about an hour phone convo which seemed to go well enough. Agreed to talk to someone else via phone. That conversation was okay, not compelling either way. Agreed to come in for an interview.

Interviewed onsite with various people with whom I would be interacting. The sessions were rushed due to seemingly poor scheduling. Questions were situational. Could not get a read on the folks or an accurate take on what they were looking for in the incumbent. Really had doubts about the company--seemed to be a bit disorganized. But they are also an upstart, so I was willing to look past that for an the opportunity which seemed like a good challenge and a chance for growth.

One individual seemed ready to hand me a laptop and get me to work. Another kept checking e-mail and was openly complaining about resources. After meeting with multiple people I left not really knowing where I stood. I also was mixed about whether I could really work with these folks.

Was never contacted, even after following up with the recruiter post-interview. Figured being ghosted was for the better. My opinion, heed the reviews advising you to run in the opposite direction. But you do what you feel is right for you.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bridgewater, NJ) in September 2016.

Interview

Overview: Applied online, initial phone screen, round 1 in-person interviews, round 2 in-person interviews, follow-up call, offer, follow-up

The initial phone screen was short and sweet, yet conversational. The recruiter touched on all of the necessities, the location, the company, the team, and the highlights of the role. He did a great job summing up the company but more importantly, emphasizing the growth the company had seen and was continuing to see.

The first round of in-person interviews was with a second recruiter and the Director of Recruitment. The first interview was unconventional and refreshing. It was 100% conversational but I still left feeling like I got to know the company and they got to know me. Next up, I met with the Director who shared his vision for the Talent Acquisition team, which communicated to me that they were excited to have momentum behind a growing team and to have a new addition.

My second round of in-person interviews went very similarly to the first. I met with the recruiter I initially spoke to as well as the Executive Vice President of Human Resources. Once again, the interviews were conversational, genuine and candid. The message of growth continued to come across, it was good to hear a unified message.

After I received an offer, one of the recruiters and the Director reached out to me. It was a nice touch, it demonstrated that they were excited to have me on board, they weren't just looking for a body in a seat.

At the end of the day, it was the vibe that I got from each of the four different people I met with and spoke to that stuck out. They each put their own personal touch on the interview process which can be the biggest differentiator to a candidate.

Interview Questions

• "What do you want to know?"

Usually this is how an interview ends, but in the case of Synchronoss, this was how my interview began. It set an awesome, comfortable, conversational tone for the entire interview.
      Answer Question

Director, Technology Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bridgewater, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

Spoke with Human Resources on the phone first. Then spoke with hiring manager on the phone. Followed by in person interview with local VP and via teleconference peers for a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Preview experience with the area of responsibility and how you would handle specific situations.   Answer Question

Professional Services Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Synchronoss.

Interview

The interview process was initially very typical, a phone screen by recruitment, then a face-to-face to meet with the hiring manager and HR. I received positive feedback while there in-person, and seemingly the entire face-to-face went well, because I was asked for references that next Monday. That's when the process fell off the rails.

I provided the references on that following Monday. I followed up later that wee with the recruiter to check in on the reference process, just to be sure my references were being responsive, and did not receive any response from recruitment. I then checked in with my references, who told me no one had contacted them. Then, after checking in again to see if I may be of further assistance with the process, the recruiter finally got back to me. He told me the delays in the process were that they could not find any common links on LinkedIn between me and them, so that was a problem to them. I'm coming from a different solution provider in a different space, so I was not surprised, but they were. They made a much bigger deal of this than what I thought was reasonable, so immediately I was suspicious that this was not actually the case. Strike 1.

After another long delay, recruitment stated that the delay is actually due to the fact that they are evaluating other candidates. OK, cool, of course you are, no problem. But why ask for references if you are not going to use them? Clearly at this point they were keeping me on the hook as a backup/fallback option. Strike 2. At this point, I essentially wrote them off, but left the door open for them to get back to me.

Then, I was asked to come back in for another face-to-face with other folks. I knew at this point that I was most likely not their preferred candidate, and considered declining the invitation, but I went anyway. I am unemployed, and we are a single-income family, so who am I to turn down an opportunity to be gainfully employed?

I went in for face-to-face #2, and the role I was applying for had changed. Interviewers assumed I had been told, but I had not. Strike 3. I continued the interview process, and again the face-to-face went seemingly well, and again I received positive feedback while there in-person from recruitment. We ended the meeting with the understanding that they'd get back to me regarding next steps in the process, but no one ever did.

No phone call, no email, nothing. After a long process with lengthy delays, 2 face-to-face meetings, and a lot of suspicious changes throughout the process, they just didn't bother closing the loop. We are all adults and we all have been rejected before, just do it professionally and quickly.

They showed zero respect for me as a candidate and as a human being, and I am very happy to have dodged this bullet.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bethlehem, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a 3 - 4 phone screens and one in person interview. There were questions in regards to using python, ruby, shell scripting for automation with infrastructure. I also answered questions about using AWS CloudFormation templates and using RDS and raided disks. I found the process friendly and straight forward. I was made to feel very comfortable and at ease. I was on site for about 3 - 4 hours and phone calls were about 30 mins each

Interview Questions

• Use a chef recipe automate the deployment of a nginix webserver?   Answer Question
    • What are steps involved with adding disk to a raid 0 array using AWS EC2 on linux?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bethlehem, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Call with HR Representative to discuss position and pay range. Phone screening with Direct Hiring manager to review job responsibilities and my previous work experience. Finally, a Face-to-Face interview with the Hiring Manager & the VP of the Group. During the interview, we reviewed my previous work history and how it would relate to the position. I was given a technical screening test, to verify that I had the skills to do the job. They used real-life examples from reporting selection that is currently in use, and asked how what issues I found, or ways that I might make changes to improve it.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work in a fast-paced and requirements-shifting atmosphere?   1 Answer

Operational Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bethlehem, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was ok. I sat down with two managers and the interview lasted for about an hour. My interview was in Sept 24th and it took two weeks to hear back from HR. She called offered me the position and told me my expected salary. On October 14, the HR person called me to tell me, I couldn't start the position until the budget is approved. Another two weeks went by,She called me again to tell me that it looks like the new position won't be until the beginning of the year. I was working so I didn't mind. I called her the first week of January, So still no update. The budget came thru mid January, but it looks like the position may not be funded with the new budget. The position may be funded in second quarter.

My advice to anyone applying to this company, keep your options open. The hiring process is so un-organized, and it is one of the worst. Don't get fooled with them telling you they are waiting on the budget. This company is one of the worst company ever!!! I will never apply with this company!!!

Interview Questions

• They went over my resume and I was ask my past experience..   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview was positive and the team interviewing were knowledgable. It was a good conversation. A lot of relatively standard questions, although some did probe a little deeper. Most of the questions were technical although there were a few sitautional and how I have interacted with customers.

The office in Seattle appeared small with a small team - the way I like it.

Interview Questions

• Multiple chef and python scripting questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synchronoss (Bethlehem, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

One phone interview and one onsite. Onsite is short, only interviewed by three team leads, architect, manager, and project owner. The decision process is long; had to push the recruiter multiple times for a final decision.