Tesco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2018

2.3

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Process was 30 minutes long with HR and department head. Was asked specifically to go through a typical day in a purchasing process that one had experienced. Interview was short and to the point. Was asked about salary expecting.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for Tesco? What makes you the perfect candidate for this position?   1 Answer

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesco (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. There were a lot of behavioral questions that asked about ways you responded to certain situations in the past. There is a lot of pressure in this industry so they want to know how you would react when something goes wrong and you have to respond quickly...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when something didn't work out how you intended?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Assessment center with presentation, group exercise and panel interview

Marketing Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks.
    First is phone interview, typical behavioral based questions and what do you think about this position.
    Then is the AC, prior to the interview you got a case to study and asked to do a presentation at the interview day. I miss the group interview, but HR was very nice and assign me to one department manager to present my case study. After that, I was interviewed by four different department manager to talk about the details. Several technique questions. Most were about scenario question and your background details.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult or unexpected. he majority of the questions is about yourself.   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Light hearted and fun group interview with a few questions and a group exercise to demonstrate how we worked in a team. Each person was given a chance to speak.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Went in for a basic interview covering previous experience and general skills, didn't take too long, an hour at most. Was supplied with an offer about two days later but declined as i received another more preferable offer from another company just before.

Online Graduate Programmer Interview

Interview

I applied to tesco Online Graduate Programme as I am doing Msc in technology. However they require any subject.. The process takes a long of time, a lot of questions regarding what you would do in particular situation, verbal, numeral, reasoning, etc. It would require several hours to complete in fact! After completing all the questionnaires I got a reply that I was successful and progress to the next stage. However a few days later I got the following email: Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to apply for the Online Graduate Programme at Tesco.
    We're really sorry but we won't be progressing your application any further this time around.
    It takes a lot to submit an application, so we'd just like to thank you once again for your time and interest in the Online Graduate Programme. It genuinely means a lot to us.

All the best,

There was no feedback, nothing to explain their decision. I replied and asked for a feedback, to which got a reply:
    After looking at your application in more detail, we’re sorry but you will not be moving to next stage. As you can imagine, we get so many applications that unfortunately we can’t provide individual feedback to everyone.

I have found it very vague and disrespectful as people take a lot of time and effort and they dont even bother to explain their decision! My advice is don't waste your time, it is not worth it!

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

You apply online. You get asked a bunch of multiple choice questions based around customer service. You get a call asking you to come in for an interview. This may be in a group interview or individual.

If you are (un)lucky enough to be invited to a group interview, you will have to be interviewed as part as a group. If you're not the person being asked a question first, you will hear someone else answer and that will give you time to formulate an answer (which may be close to being a carbon copy answer to someone else). You will then get a store of the store and shadow a checkout assistant to see how it is to work at Tesco and have the opportunity to speak to staff and customers. Then you will do a team building exercise where you make a tower out of folding paper. This can be quite fun along with meeting new people and getting to know them.

If you are (un)lucky enough to have an individual interview. It's slightly more intense as its just you and the interviewing manager in the room. But it's literally just a quick 20 minute interview. So only 20 minutes of nerves. After the 20 minutes, you walk out the store with a nervous wait for feedback. (If you are a nervous person that is.)

Marketing Graduate Interview

Interview

Online application and tests - you do these all in one go so it is quite a lengthy process with a lot of competency questions.

Then is a video interview - again this is extremely lengthy (12 questions! Most grad schemes I applied to only ask about 3) and you only have 60 seconds to do your answer which I didn't feel was very long. However, you have an unlimited amount of time to prepare your answers and can watch back and re-record them so don't be nervous about this stage at all! All very standard questions (company, role and more competency), but even if they are unexpected, you have long enough to think about your answer anyway. The only downside is if you really want to do well then this stage can potentially take quite a long time.

Thought it was a strange process because since you could spend ages preparing during the video interview it kind of felt like a repeat of the application but speaking instead of writing - very odd! Think Tesco should review this as it is probably overly time consuming for their HR department to be honest.

I did not hear back from my video interview so ended up withdrawing my application due to another job offer.

Price Integrity Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

General informal chat to begin with, group interview with three managers from different departments followed by an assessed practical exercise (for mine I did 10 minutes of assisting people on checkouts). Very general questions about why this role, what your doing at present and examples of good and bad customer service.