The Blackstone Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:

Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Met with several people in the business line. They asked me technical questions to assess if I could step in and do the work right away. I answered to the best of my ability. Their offices are highly professional and I found the conversation to be relevant to the job at hand.

Interview Questions

• They asked me technical questions to assess if I could step in and do the work right away.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

Applied through university career fair, got a call to interview on campus.
    Had to code for 3 questions and then write an SQL query and also analyze the database within 30 minutes. I could answer only 2 and then had figured out logic for the third. The interviewer discussed the 2 questions and then gave time to explain the other unattended questions.
    The interview went smooth. All questions were as expected, nothing difficult though.

Interview Questions

• The difficult aspect was the time, its difficult to analyze and answer 4 in 30 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group in October 2014.

Interview

Applied at a career fair, was asked to come interview with them about 2-3 weeks after. An hour long interview, asked 4 questions.
    1) Take a string and turn it to an int.
    2) Gave me a SQL data model and wanted me to write a SQL Select statement. Involved a double join.
    3) Given 2 arrays, find the unique elements in array 2.
    4) Given the class models and a diagram of a binary tree with operators and numbers. Write a function to calculate the value at the root.

Interview Questions

• The SQL question was very tough since I wasn't very good at it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group in September 2014.

Interview

One first round interview (30 minute technical, 30 minute behavioral). Focus on algorithms, trees, and databases. final round interview where I talked to multiple software engineers and had a mix of technical and behavioral. Very kind interviewers and fair questions.

Interview Questions

• Hashtables. I should have reviewed them more since they are so common.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Campus Recruiting. Met at the career fair. Had a first round interview. Waiting to hear back. Supposedly they fly you out to headquarters for an on site interview for the final rounds.

Interview Questions

• know databases, data strucutres (i.e. trees, arrays, strings, hashmaps, etc.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

On campus interview that lasted 1 hour. They gave me 20 minutes to answer 4 questions that tested basic data structures and some simple algorithms that involved recursion. I wasn't able to finish but the interviewer said that it wasn't a problem. We discussed the problem that I wasn't able to finish. He wanted to know my thought process and my problem solving skills. Great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Turn a string into a integer   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Main technologies: All microsoft company - C#, .NET, Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Studio, ASP.NET web interfaces

Received a call via recruiter and submitted application through them. consisted of 2 parts: Online and in person interview. The online interview had 1 basic coding problem (can't remember what it was), a question on how you would build out an automated trading system based on twitter, and an open ended question about a project you were proud of or did.

After a few days I got a call back from the recruiter stating that they liked my answers online and scheduled an in person interview a week later. The in-person interview was schedule for 2 hours and felt very time constrained. You are to go to the front desk and get you pass, take the elevator to the correct location and wait (about 25 mins in my case) for someone to fetch you from the floor lobby to begin your interview. I was brought into a room and given a packet with about 4-5 coding questions I was given about 35 minutes to try to complete this packet and got through about the first 2 questions. After the interview came back we walked through my solutions and I verbally walked through with him how to solve the last 3 and how to improve all answers.

Second face to face was immediately after with some basic personality questions (Why Blackstone, tell me about yourself, etc.). I was asked to code on a giant white board with him there and walk him through as I solved to find the number of occurrences of a certain number from a given set. It was very nice as we were bouncing ideas back and forth and he was receptive to my explanations of doing things a certain way, while suggesting possible better solutions for certain issues. This whole part took the full hour. Was tough technically, but not unmanagable if you are knowledgable about things (from most to least important: Hash tables, dictionaries, tree traversal, SQL Joins and basic SQL, binary searching, best sorting).

Interview Questions

• Convert a string to an int without using built in methods   1 Answer
    • If you are given a tree broken up where parent nodes are operations and end points are numbers, write an interpreter to write into a math problem according to PEMDAS like so (4+5)*3-2)/5.   1 Answer
    • Create a SELECT query by doing joins on different given tables   1 Answer
    • Find the number of occurrences of a given number from a total given set   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group.

Interview

Went through a recruiter. Had me do a online test first. Took a couple of hours to complete that. After the online test, heard back 2 weeks later for onsite interview with 3 people. First people was a senior engineer. Went over some friendly conversation and some typical algorithm, coding questions. After that, talked to a senior Manager and then CIO. The latter two interviews are more about experience and expecations. Everything went well, and received offer 1 week late.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Found them initially at a career fair at my school. Gave them my resume and talked with them for a bit. Got a call for an interview, went in for that, took a 4 question quiz, and then talked with the interviewer about typical interview stuff. The second round on site interview was much tougher. Went out to nyc to go to their offices, had three half hour interviews. Two technical where I answered programming questions, and one that I described a project I worked on in detail

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Blackstone Group in February 2016.

Interview

It was a one hour interview with a half hour of technical test and the other half going over the problems + some behavior questions. My questions were similar to the ones from previous reviews. You don't have to write code,they just want to see your thinking process.