Treyarch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Treyarch Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

2.6

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch in February 2017.

Interview

Two engineer interviewers. Started from introducing previous projects. Then bunch of technical questions such as hash table, stack & heap, C++ key words, virtual table, delete element in array, 3D math (dot/cross product).

Interview Questions

• What's are the usages of dot product and cross product?   Answer Question

Systems Designer (Combat) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and around 2 weeks~ later I received an email. I spoke with the recruiter and she let me know about the position and the company. As I was fairly local they gave me the opportunity to come in and speak with the team.

Most places have you interview over the phone or complete a test first. This was an awesome experience to meet with the team face to face. +1 for that.

After the initial meet a test was given and then a follow up interview if all went well. E3 added a small delay to the whole process, but nothing major.

Overall it was a positive experience, the recruiter and team were professional and anyone would be lucky to work with those awesome people!

Interview Questions

• Typical, what have you done in the past? What they do there.

I met with the whole team I would be working with as well as upper management. They were all really relaxed and easy to talk to.
      Answer Question

Character Technical Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Start with I received a email from Senior Recruiter Jennifer. She is very efficient. Very quickly, I had a phone interview arrangement with Technical Art Director Murad and Technical Artist Stev. A week after the phone interview, I went to a onsite interview to meet Murad and the team in person. It was a very fun interview. People there are very talented, and they are very passionate about what they do, which is to make great games.
    Although, I did not receive a offer, recalling what I had experienced through the entire interview process, I have to say, it was a very positive and fruitful journey. And I am very thankful for it.

Interview Questions

• If you have to choose again, would you choose a different position, what job would you most likely to take?   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Went to Treyarch office at Santa Monica. Interview was strictly technical, focusing on programming. Interview wasn't extremely difficult. Interviewer was professional and clarified as needed. Process was about one hour.

Animation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (Savannah, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application through Glass Door, and received an e-mail within a few weeks asking if I was interested in interviewing. Before setting up an interview, I was required to film myself answering a few questions. I was encouraged to have fun with it and took the chance to be creative and show my personality. After this was submitted I was asked to participate in a formal interview with four animators. Over Skype I was able to speak with and answer questions from who would ultimately be my supervisors during the internship.

Interview Questions

• What 3D packages are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch.

Interview

About an hour of technical interview. It was a Skype call and had lot of troubles with call quality. Questions were based on 3d math, bit manipulation, geometry, networks. Interviewers started with basic questions and went to moderate/advanced to see where can I get to.

Interview Questions

• difference b/w dot and cross products and their use cases, Sphere intersection tests, diff b/w tcp & udp etc..   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a very easy process. Once you apply for the job online and meet the initial qualifications, the recruiter assists you in setting up a Skype interview with a team from the department you applied to. The call was on time and was the perfect length, not too many questions to overwhelm you, but just enough for them to get to know you and what you can do. Even though I was not selected for the position I cannot speak highly enough of the professionalism of the animation team I interviewed with and the recruiter (Senior Recruiter Jennifer Ripley) who helped me along the way. It was a great experience from start to end.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to work in teams or individually?   Answer Question
    • How are some ways that you might handle and resolve a stressful situation?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Treyarch (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online through there site, recorded a video answer questions, then an on-site interview. Overall straight-forward but tripped up on a "this isn't a trick question" question. Although I was told the interview process would happen at a certain time, include lunch, and last for 3+ hours.. he interviewers came in late after having lunch (I ended up waiting 30 minutes or so for them in the lobby), and the whole thing lasted maybe 50 minutes before they showed me out. Overall neutral experience if not a little unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What games have you played lately, other than what we make here at Treyarch?   Answer Question
    • What on your reel is a school assignment?   1 Answer
    • Other than games where do you draw your inspiration from?   Answer Question

Game Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (Santa Monica, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

After the initial online application, I received an extensive test packet. Due to a busy semester schedule, I had concerns about meeting the deadline, but Jennifer from HR was very kind as to extend the deadline by half a day.

I was then shortlisted for an on site interview, which I was told would take about 4 hours, which ended up being an accurate estimate. I was received by the first interviewer who gave me a brief tour of the studio before taking me to the interview room.

I was interviewed by a total of 6 interviewers, each for a session of approximately 30 minutes. Each interviewer came from different parts of design (Singleplayer, Multiplayer, Scripters & designers) and of varying seniority in the company. Each had their own set of questions and their own interview style, but all focused on my design background and abilities. After the first 3 interviewers, there was a coffee break of roughly 30 minutes where I had coffee with 4 Treyarch employees, also from design departments.

I ended off the day with David, their design director, who was very tough during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a 3 weapon multiplayer mode with fruits as the theme.   Answer Question
    • Describe a level design that you've done for a game   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Treyarch (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and was contacted to submit some follow up questions along with a coding sample. The coding evaluation was interesting and covered some game-development questions and some typical binary bit masking questions. After this, I was contacted for an hour long Skype interview with two engineers. This was challenging, as they asked a lot of questions that were meant to dissect what department you'd be best for. These questions covered networking, type safety, and more binary bit masking. The only question I was asked that was remotely related to game development was how I'd check for collision between two spheres. It was kind of a bummer, because I was hoping to be asked more game-related technical questions. Instead, I felt like I was interviewing for any other tech company, and I wasn't quite as prepared for that as I apparently should have been.

Interview Questions

• How would you check for collision between two spheres?   Answer Question