United Way Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United Way Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2017

2.6

Manager Interview

Interview

This review is specifically for United Way NYC. Would not recommend. I received absolutely no follow-up regarding my status after multiple interviews. It would have been helpful to receive some type of update after reaching out several times. Lack of follow-up is not a good sign, in my opinion.

Resource Center Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Tampa, FL).

Interview

I applied online and heard back within a week. I was called to interview over the phone in order to screen for an in person interview. The phone interview went well.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

I applied online and had a phone screen with HR a few days later. The HR rep read verbatim from the job description and asked if I was still interested in the position. She then asked me about my experience in web programming and graphic design, among other things. I asked some clarifying questions because the job description asked for minimal design skills and basic HTML and CSS. I asked if they were looking for someone to build website from scratch or utilize CMS. Did they want a graphic designer or someone who knows their way around Adobe Creative Suite, but doesn't consider themselves an artist. She admitted that she wasn't sure what the hiring manager was looking for and that she couldn't answer any specific questions related to the position.

At the very least, the HR rep doing the phone screenings should have some knowledge about the position they are screening for. This woman did not and she apologized for it. I do not fault her, as she was very nice and professional. Unfortunately, it makes the organization look bad in the eyes of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here? what is your experience with website programming?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Tacoma, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

It was a panel interview with 3 executives after an email with instructions on how and where to park, etc. It took approx. one hour. They took turns asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Specific past experiences and proposed solutions to certain issues   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was called about a week after I applied and asked to come in for an in-person interview the following week. I interviewed with the supervisor of the position and the employee who has the job previously and who had moved up to a new role. They were very welcoming and made me feel comfortable.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2017.

Interview

Video interview--interviewed by 4 total staff members who I would be reporting to, then was told I would hear back the next day if I was moved to second round. Went on to second round with a peer interview.

Loaned Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied, they got back to me quickly to set a time for an interview. They kept me informed throughout the process. Wonderfully easy. Then they said they would be in touch, probably by the end of the week. This was Tuesday morning. Nothing, nothing, nothing. I emailed, which generated a "we'll be in touch" reply. I sent along an relevant article and an announcement for a local workshop, which generated "thanks for this" responses. Finally, 3 1/2 weeks later, they responded to my "I'm still interested" email with the notice that they had filled the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what you know about the United Way of King County and what inspired you to apply? How would this fundraising position enhance your personal and professional career goals?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a group that you were a part of was in danger of missing a deadline. How did you handle the pressure and what steps did you take to meet the deadline?   Answer Question
    • Think about a difficult supervisor or coworker. What made him or her difficult? How did you successfully interact with this person?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when you surpassed a customer's expectations or went beyond for a customer. What was the result and looking back, is there anything you would do differently?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a successful experience in presenting or public speaking. How did you prepare? What made your presentation / speech a success?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you made a plan that did not work out. What were the circumstances and what did you learn?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you met a challenging goal. What was the goal? Describe your approach.   Answer Question

Digital Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Way (Nashville, TN) in June 2017.

Interview

The first round was a brief phone call about the position. It was very pleasant and went well.

Then they reached out to me for another call, and I assumed I had a second interview.

Once on the call, I realized they were asking me the same exact questions, and it was the same person as before.

An absolute waste of time.

Interview Questions

Interview

They gave me a case study with a problem to resolve for the interview. Was asked to give strategies to move donors from one level to the other within a certain budget and what would be the best way to move a donor to major giving.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, relative to fundraising and knowledge of direct mail, etc.   Answer Question

Special Events Interview

Interview

One phone interview that lasted about 20 to 30 minutews. One final in-person interview that probably lasted the same amount as the first, with an offer at the end.

Interview Questions

• Any marketing experience? Name a challenging work situation.   Answer Question