United Way Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 11, 2018

2.6

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Way (Boston, MA).

Interview

Had brief phone screening to discuss qualifications, resume, relevant background and dates for in person interview. In person interview was really relaxed and laid back. We just discussed the position and what the internship would include.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle monotonous tasks where the end goal is not clearly in site.   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United Way.

Interview

The phone interview was approximately 30 minutes. The next two interviews occurred within the next two weeks. The first interview consisted of 2 people, the next one with 6.

Interview Questions

• Which aspect of the job description would you find the most difficult?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Interview

One phone interview with HR then asked to come in for second interview. Waited weeks. Finally got it scheduled and they canceled when I was in route to the actual interview (had spent a couple days preparing) and said they would reschedule. Never heard back. It appears the place is in turmoil right now with losing funding, ceo and staff, at least according to my experience and the news articles coming out.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about my background and why I wanted to work for UW   Answer Question

Interview

Simple, to the point questions. They didn't try to trick you or ask anything outrageous. Most questions were about experience and how you would handle certain situations. Interviewers were friendly and conversation was easy.

Data Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at United Way.

Interview

Interview Process was straight forward. However, HR is poorly run. Neither the person who interviewed me nor the HR person who scheduled the interview will follow up. Upon asking if a decision will me made, the organization has been silent.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our organization? Standard Jazz.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United Way (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Keep your other options open. This one should probably be at the bottom of your list! This organization will not send a courtesy email if you are not chosen. They will make you wait, and will NOT respond to a single email you send.. Essentially, you're given the silent treatment and have no idea where you stand after an interview. I found it to be extremely rude. I have never interviewed for anyone without a proper "Thanks, but no thanks." It made me question the type of staff working at United Way, and if I wanted to work for this organization. I ended up at Chan Zuckerberg. Very happy there!

Vista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United Way (New York, NY).

Interview

Quick response and turn around for hiring process. Was a pleasant experience overall. There were two people present at the interview. Both were friendly and allowed for lots of open ended questions.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Way (Allentown, PA).

Interview

Pleasant interview that lasted about thirty minutes. It started out by the interviewer giving a short history about the company, department structure and internship details then it followed by general questions from my resume.

Engagement Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Way (Boston, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied for the position a week after it was posted on their website. I heard back from them almost two months later. I had a phone screening with HR which went really well and she had me schedule an interview with the Director for two weeks out. I showed up to my interview twenty minutes early because I was worried about parking. I paid 30 bucks to park down the road and got to the office with 15 minutes to spare. The front desk called around to each department but none of them recalled scheduling an interview for that day. HR wasn't in the office so she couldn't even call them to double check. So after waiting for about 45 minutes to get a hold of someone, I was told my interview would be rescheduled. By the time I got home, I received several apology calls and rescheduled for the following day. I showed up to my interview after paying another 30 bucks to park and it went great. The staff was super nice and we all seemed to get along. I got a called almost an hour later to schedule my second interview for the following week. This time, I met with 5 staff members. Again, the interview went really well. The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes and ended with us chatting about our personal lives. Then I was ghosted for a month. I sent a follow-up email immediately after the interview as well as a card in the mail to thank them for their time. Nothing. After two and a half weeks, I sent another email and the director replied three days after that to let me know that the process is in HR's hands now and they'll be in touch. Two weeks after that, I got the email that they went with someone else.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years? What makes you stand out from other candidates?   Answer Question

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Way (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Greater Twin Cities United Way (Minneapolis, MN) Social Media Specialist position in December 2017. Took around 2 months to complete the process. Their HR recruiter was very unprofessional. They were supposed to do a phone screen interview at first but they rescheduled three times, two of the times without an explanation. In one of their excuses as to why they canceled they actually forwarded me an entire email thread between them and another candidate. An email that I shouldn't seen, nor should have been forwarded. To me and other organizations, that's a breach of privacy and confidentiality. They even addressed me by a different name. As an apology, they opted out of phone screening me to help move along the process. Moving on to the in-person interview, which was a different person, and this individual didn't have any written questions or specific questions to ask that they brought. I practically interviewed myself. Following the in-person interview, if they thought I was a good candidate, I would move onto a second round of interviews with a panel. I heard back from the recruiter and again they rescheduled with me twice to call me and say that I wasn't chosen for a second round. I was extremely patient with this person and as an applicant, you don't want to complain about the company you're trying to get a job at in fear of compromising your opportunity at getting that job. But I wanted to share my experience with future candidates because it was extremely frustrating and I had to take time off work to accommodate for their interview times to be canceled on several times.