Workday Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Stopped at their booth at my university's career fair and attended their info session. Was signed up for an on-campus interview. Interviewer jumped straight into UML modelling. Struggled a bit with the process as it is much broader than your typical programming questions, but my interviewer (now future manager) guided me. I made sure to communicate my thought process. He ended the interview by asking me if I had any questions.

I was invited to the final round interview in Pleasanton a day later. The experience on-site was great! It was well-organized and made me fall in love with the company and location. I had 5 back-to-back interviews for a total of 3 hours. 4 were behavioral and got a bit repetitive but seemed to have their own purpose: 1 was about their GW program (a development program for college grads), 1 seemed focused on discussing my resume and experience, 1 seemed to gauge my culture fit, and I can't quite remember the last one. A lot of questions did overlap. The tech test was UML modelling on a white board and designed to test your thought process and OOP intuition as the interviewers expanded more and more on the problem until it actually became quite difficult. Talk through your thought process; they aren't expecting a perfect answer. I think this test is a smart way of gauging how you dealt with pressure and practical business problems versus asking you to regurgitate lines of code on how to flip a string or traverse a linked list.

I got a pretty generous offer a few days later. Mulled it over for the 3 weeks I was allotted and turned over some pretty big companies to accept it.

Great interview experience overall. I felt engaged and felt the interview was a two-way process. The recruiters were always responsive and friendly.

Interview Questions

• A ton of behavioral questions; some resume/experience questions, some culture fit. Be prepared for UML modelling and implementing/explaining fundamental OOP concepts.   1 Answer

Corporate Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Workday (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

A phone interview was conducted approximately 15-25 minutes, after a few days the recruiter scheduled an on-site interview . A scheduler will reach out to you to cover attire and whom you'll be meeting. There was 8 people on the list with titles/positions. During the interview you met with manager's in pairs and interviewed with two people at a time throughout the 2-hour block. Asked personality questions and interests throughout each one. Some questions were the same and some differ between each interview group.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Explain a time when you've encountered a disagreement, conflict, or problem with a client or boss.   Answer Question

Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

HR found my resume through my business school and contacted me for an interview. The first round was a 45 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, who invited me on-site at the end of the call. Two days before the on-site, the recruiter called to give me an overview of each interviewer and what to expect. She told me that the team had already interviewed 100 people for this role and hadn't liked anyone. Then she pressured me to say I would accept an offer within 24 hours if I received one. The night before the interview she emailed me to say "btw sorry I explicitly said there wouldn't be any long, formal case questions. The team has decided to ask you at least one. Sorry!" The on-site included 5 interviews with everyone on the corporate strategy team. The first interview was very combative; he asked questions like "so you didn't work at McKinsey or Goldman Sachs, so how could you possibly know the right frameworks to use?" The next two interviews were completely unstructured, chitty chat BS; you'd think that a company that claims to be revolutionizing HR would know that studies show unstructured interviews are virtually useless in assessing candidates. The next two interviews were a wintry mix of fit and behavioral questions. I didn't get a single case/hypothetical question for a CORPORATE STRATEGY interview, despite being told the night before that I would be. 2 days after the recruiter said I would receive a decision (normally not unreasonable, but they were demanding I respond in 24 hours if I received an offer), I got a form rejection email from HR ("thank you for your interest in Workday..."). I ended up taking an offer from Google instead. Maybe second only to the time a startup CEO sexually harassed me in the middle of an interview, this was the worst and most unprofessional recruiting experience I've had in my career. Despite being interested in the company before this experience, I will never interview with Workday agree.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate whether it's a good idea to expand into India?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

It was a very positive and straightforward process. There were a series of interviews with about 7-8 different people. Most of the interviews were focused on culture fit and being able to explain technical problems clearly. There was also a tech test, which required understanding OO concepts and UML diagramming.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to apply for the application developer position as opposed to the traditional software development position?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Workday.

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus who expressed interest in me. I received a call that night for an on campus interview the next day. The interview was roughly 30 minutes and focused around some object oriented design. I heard back in about 2 weeks that I would move onto final round interviews.

My recruiter was fantastic and very helpful in organizing everything. The full day interview is very long, lasting from 8:00AM - 4:00PM. There was a 1 hour technical interview which focused on UML and object oriented design. The rest was cultural fit and behavioral questions. As a Master's student with a good sense of what I want to do and what I'm passionate about, the behavioral part was a breeze. Everyone was also really on board with the Workday mission and I could tell it was a company where people loved their work and were proud of it. The rest of the day was learning about Workday, its culture, and other comp. and benefits details.

I received a verbal offer after 2 weeks. Because of my Masters degree and the VP of my division expressing interest in me, I was bumped up to Senior Associate Applications Developer. I negotiated the cash salary a little further and then accepted the offer. I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Design a Netflix queue with UML.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Met them at an on-campus job fair followed by an on-campus interview and then an all day on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Design queues for Netflix users Streaming and Rental movie types. Quite simple except that you have to do it in the vein of their proprietary UML sorta thing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No attempt at negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Workday (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I had two interviews. First was in person and the 45 minutes was spent designing some given class with the recruiter. Follow up was over the phone and behavioral. I thought it went pretty well but they never followed up with me. Perusing this website, it seems this is pretty standard for their rejections.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly difficult; you're just designing a relatively simple class with the recuiter   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

On campus interview followed by an on-site interview 6-8 weeks later. They didn't contact me for a long time after the initial interview, maybe a month or so.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview was entirely UML. A good knowledge of UML and OO design is helpful to doing well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They ask you for a salary range during the on-site interview. It is important to have a good idea of what you want then, with regards to both full compensation and salary.

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Talked to a former colleague who worked at Workday at my university's career fair in January. I initially told him I wasn't going to talk to any of the people in charge there because I had already didn't advance past 1st round interviews in November, but he told me it was worth a shot. That evening I got a phone call asking if I'd like to take part in an on campus interview the following morning, which I agreed to. This initial interview was heavy on UML type questions, and class interactions, and then followed up by a traditional programming question.

Two weeks later I get an email asking if I'd like to participate in final round interviews onsite. You have to make all the travel arrangements by yourself, but the recruiter in charge of all the expenses was very helpful and quick.

Two weeks after that, was the day of the interview. They start early, a little before 8 o'clock. They give you breakfast (bagels, yum), make you introduce yourself to everyone, and then give an overview of how the day will go. Because I was interviewing for the App Dev position, they took the other 4 of us interviewing for it to a conference room to show us the language and how it works. There was a little bit of an issue with the internet, but it answered a lot of questions I had about their propriety language, and they discuss why they use it. From there, we were rushed into individual rooms to be interviewed for 4 straight hours.

Luckily, these interviews are pretty short (most are 30 minutes, others are 15) and you mostly discuss the projects you've done, your goals and ambitions, and what interests you about Workday. I don't know if it's common, but one of the 30 minute interviews was psuedo-technical, and the interviewer asked what divide-and-conquer algorithms I knew, and the complexity of them. Everyone was ridiculously friendly, and didn't suffer from the know-it-all attitude I've had interviewing with other companies. The technical question was an hour long, and and more class diagram stuff, which wasn't too bad, but I did freeze up a little near the end. This was also followed up with a small psudeocode programming challenge.

After the interviews, they feed you lunch, and then demo the product and the language, and allow everyone to participate. After two hours of that, they discuss benefits and then let you go on your merry way.

One week after that, I got a phone call from my recruiter offering me the position. Couldn't be happier!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't attempt to negotiate. The offer was already 5k higher than I originally asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Workday (Irvine, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very positive experience, the recruiter all so nice. this is for internship, so the interview will be 1:1 30 minutes session. one technical question. they have lot of interviewer, so u might need to compete with your classmates which have better preparation. Review OOP and UML is a must. try to show them that u good at it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Workday (Davis, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I showed them my resume in a career fair at my university, and was asked to talk to the recruiter there to sign up for an interview the Friday of that week.
    The interview itself was about 35 minutes.
    We talked a bit about what was on my resume.
    The bulk of the interview was how you would structure a form/questionnaire builder. The interviewer presented the scenario and asked how I would represent it with classes, what objects each class holds, how many, inheritance, etc.

Interview Questions

• What classes would you use and how would they be related, the relation's cardinality etc. (UML)   Answer Question
    • What do you think of (using) Espresso   Answer Question