Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything" (in 25 reviews)

• "The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation" (in 14 reviews)

1. "The best place to work... period!"

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging, fun, great Workmates, good stewards of the planet.

Cons

None, none, none, none, and done. Sorry 5 word minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and strategic acquisitions.

"Workday is changing..."

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

-Good local Office Culture. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out.
    -Product itself is incredible which makes demoing it really fun and "easy".

Cons

-They take advantage of being the "best place to work" by grossly under paying employees. on avg. 20-30K less than competitors.
    -Promotions are extremely limited and difficult to attain.
    -With recent leadership changes in the sales/presales organization there is less emphasis on the employees and a lot more on the bottom line. There have been cut backs and many employees internally are not pleased.
    -Choose Workday if making money is NOT your priority.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day if you do not pay your top performers or give them the promotions they deserve they will leave no matter how great Workday is. Expect a higher turnover rate over next year or so.

"I really wanted Workday to be my home, but I just can't stay"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are smart, dedicated, and very, very supportive. Strong sense of mission and future. Great founders - easy to rally behind. Solid pay, good benefits.

Cons

Not the place to go if you want to advance your career. I love the work, but Workday has been the worst career choice in my life. No way to get ahead. Look elsewhere if you want to grow. If you want to do the same job under frequently changing managers and empty promises, join the team.

Advice to Management

I know you are trying hard to keep the culture strong, but without real opportunity it doesn't matter.

"Finance SLC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture. Good benefits - healthcare, 401k, unlimited PTO, team events, etc. Plenty of room for growth and promotion for those who want it. Fast growing company, so always new things to explore and learn from.

Cons

Growing company, so might not be for people who like the status quo or don’t like change.

Snacks run out early in the week, so not so much left by Thursday/Friday. Have to pay for parking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe have more c suite visitors since it’s only an hour flight from hq.

"Workday is smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great benefits, decent compensation, strong senior leadership

Cons

The negative reviews are right. I know you’re thinking “its a top place to work.” But those numbers are skewed. Don’t be fooled like me. Wday sends those surveys to employees they expect will rate them favorably. Here’s more truth:

1. Nepotism is real here and there’s no plans to stop it.
    2. “Its not what you know, its who you know. Hard work gets you no where, sucking up and strong relationships do..”- Workday Proverb
    3. Backstabbing/Political Culture. The comments of blacklisting, HR turning on you and career suicide are true
    4. This is not a place to “grow” your career if that’s what you want pick a different company. This is a place to build skills and move on.

Advice to Management

Do better. You’re creating Oracle #2. The culture is not what we are making it out to be. Take a cold hard look in the mirror. Treat people better. Create clear paths to success. Priortize skills and performance over loyalty and friendship.

"Culture is like a high school; dont work here if you're a male working in QA"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really smart people
    401k matching
    RSU Stocks
    Free stocks and drinks

Cons

Management is deceptive; they will say one thing to your face, but their actions show otherwise. They ask you to be transparent with them, but they will use the information you give them to their advantage (ie. if they know you will eventually be moving on from Workday, they will not give you any raises or compensation for your past year's review even though an annual review is based on past year's performance and not what you will be doing in the future). DO NOT tell management anything regarding your future plans.

Some workers on certain teams are incompetent and lazy. Will take long vacations and knowing that their vacation date is coming up, will delay their work and not finish because they know someone else will pick up their slack. Some will always wait until the end of sprints to log bugs or start work so that they can pretend that they were super busy the whole sprint; therefore, the need to roll over stories.

People are being hired just because they are related to someone who already works here or is someone's friend. For example, the qualification for a QA Engineer job here is at least 5 years minimum in QA. In the QA industry, if you have actually been working for 5 years, you would know what TDD or BDD or other commonly used QA terms mean. I have seen QAs in meetings ask what TDD or BDD mean and have asked for explanations. This tells me that they probably got the job through a family/friend and/or faked their resume to get the job.

Annual raises is based on how much you suck up to management, and how much they like you. Even if you do all your work and take everything they dump on you, if management doesn't like you, your raises won't be as high as someone who did less work but is a friend of management.

People using all sorts of excuses on a regular basis to work from home or not come in to work. Here are a few that I've seen:
    -It's hard to turn my steering wheel, I'll be wfh
    -I need to stay home for a package or go home to sign for a package
    -I need to go feed my dog/cat
    -I have a haircut appointment today, i'll be wfh
    -Traffic is heavy right now, i'll be wfh

The best place to work for award? That's total bull. It's what management sends out to their employees every year and asking them to fill out. Of course most employees will always give the company they work for a super high rating.

Advice to Management

You talk about being diverse but just take a look around the company. It's family members hiring family members (some of them are not even qualified). Learn to retain your workers. Turn over is high because some managers don't really care about their workers.

The grass is not always greener on the other side; don't get fooled by the awards and positive news that are out there regarding Workday.

"Product"

Current Employee - Product Management
    Current Employee - Product Management

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Growing fast which enables many opportunities for your career
    - Ability to work ramped up or at a manageable load depending on your life style preferences
    - Tackling some big challenges in the enterprise software space
    - Genuine investment in developing people and supporting their careers

Cons

- Scarce resources spread among many product lines leaves some teams without proper tooling support to compete in the market
    - Technology lags behind leading companies outside the big enterprise companies
    - Influx of employees is impacting the overall drive of the average employee
    - Career / employment experience can vary heavily from team to team

Advice to Management

- Keep focusing on implementing best practice technology and management practices to keep us from falling behind

""Salt of the Earth" People and Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's "salt of the earth" people and leadership at Workday. We live out our core values of Integrity, Innovation, Fun, Profitability and being being People First in work and life. This is a great place for people who are proactive, entrepreneurial, and do whatever it takes to get the job done with excellence and integrity while caring for people.

We truly work hard and play hard with lots of celebrations, perks, and free snacks.

Cons

We innovate quickly here so there's an expectation to come up with solutions without much guidance from management but Workday rewards you in spades if you can deliver.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in training middle and upper management to live out Workday's values and to lead well and invest in the development and careers of individual contributors.

"Ineffective management"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, “unlimited” pto, high pay & bonus

Cons

Inability to manage up. They also over promise and under deliver when it comes to the recruitment process and once it comes to reality in the company.

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations for your workmates and follow through with attending skip-level one-on-ones.

"Great company but several cons depending where you work"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values, unlimited PTO although for management is not that easy to take time off, free snacks and catered lunches on certain occasions, excellent C-level executives otherwise the company wouldn't be doing so well - GREAT CFO, competitive salaries, great benefits, very customer focused and they are successful at it.

Cons

All the greatness of this company is easily erased from the employee's experience because it has terrible upper and lower management. The finance team in the Salt Lake City site is a perfect example. The hiring manager brought in several employees from her former company and favoritism became an issue . Some excellent talent left due that practice. Managers had sudden changes of heart and from being an excellent employee one day, the next day you were terrible and were bullied until you resign even if you were a manager. Level 1 managers could not manage effectively due to being micro managed. If you disagreed, you were now that terrible employee despite of having had success at other and bigger companies. The teams in SLC have not been able to adapt and assimilate the great culture and values that this great California based company has.

Advice to Management

C-Level Execs, there isn't much of a distance between you and senior management, you can definitely monitor better some of the practices mentioned in the above mentioned work site.