Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

"I love Workday - I have the shirts to prove it!!!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Berwyn, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Berwyn, PA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Technology, market conditions, leadership, customers, swagg (I've got about a dozen shirts already!)

Cons

None - this company is fantastic to work! They treat you well but expect you to work hard (which is fair). You can't hide here and just 'punch the clock' as they will weed you out. but if you work hard you'll be treated very well!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing guys!!!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Integration Consultant
    Current Employee - Integration Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great company culture, work-life balance, benefits

Cons

upward growth is a bit hard

"Company Culture is changing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its all good until 2017.. Good Benefits, good package

Cons

Culture is slowly changing, as they are hiring more people from cisco, which they bring worst sort of culture with. Hiring people of less talent, just because they know them. Everyone has their own agenda to promote, rather than company growth.

Advice to Management

Hire the best, rather than hire/promote the people who you know from before.

"Great talent organization"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

I've been at Workday for some time now and I have to say, I'm excited about what's going on in talent acquisition.

1. Up until now, goals and expectations haven't been clear. I feel there's support to ensure (despite tough conversations), we have clear goals and objectives that bring together capacity, speed and experience.

2. Management has been supportive of my learning opportunities from an upcoming summit to bring all 100+ of us together to hear ground breaking speakers to building better practices and skills to really compete for the best.

3. I know tough conversations are hard, but I appreciate that direction and guidance has been clearer than ever. Some of it is hard to accept, but with reflection, I realize change isn't easy, but necessary.

Ultimately, the pros are really pointed at the fact that I am respected, we are having better conversations to collaborate and there is huge investment in my learning opportunities.

I also feel Workday as a whole has a great story to tell. Comparing to other software providers (new and old), I feel Workday's value proposition is clear. We are disrupting the human capital space, and now leveraging the power of data and transactions to help other applications and companies solve really hard problems.

Cons

There's always room for improvement in any company and I have to say the big area of opportunity is that management/leadership in talent acquisition needs to be more determined and outspoken about why we are transforming and what's the big win at the end of the tunnel.

That said, I am really excited to be part of this journey, and although there have been huge changes in the recent months, I have to say it's kind of exciting to be part of, probably, one of the biggest talent transformations in the industry.

Advice to Management

Please keep the changes in talent moving forward. I like the fact that I know where I stand, there's huge investment in skills development and I appreciate the respect that's in place right now.

"Great Company- Talent Acquisition morale at an all time low and no longer cohesive"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love Workday, I love the people and up to recently the values.
    Workday has a great company culture with an exciting and emerging product range. I truly believe our founders and CEO's David and Aneel believe in the company’s values as do most of great people I have had the pleasure of working with. While challenges naturally exist when you are partnering with business stakeholders I can say without hesitation that recruiters in Workday are respected and valued by business partners/hiring managers. This review is not something I could ever have imagined writing abut Workday.

Cons

Previous leadership team was not perfect; many of us were excited for the next stage TA and the new challenges ahead with new leadership. While not perfect I must say we had transparency and a clear road map of our goals. Morale was high and 90% of us were committed to delivering above and beyond for our hiring managers. The goals were challenging but we faced them as a team. Many of us faced long hours and we were extremely busy but we didn’t care because we had a united team and believed we were a key cog in creating one of the greatest companies on earth.

In contrast the last 8 months have seen a gradual decline in morale, team cohesiveness and job security. We no longer feel like we provide a valuable contribution to the growth of this awesome company and now feel like a cost to the business. Permanent team members feel their job security is diminished and that their contribution over the last few years has been forgotten; some vocally and others privately are actively looking for new roles. Contract employees who joined believing that if they contributed they could have an amazing future here now feel that their stay is temporary. New managers and old have been asked to promote and implement new goals in our “transformation” without any road map or idea of how it will happen in reality.

The toughest part of the current set up is that we are becoming less motivated, less willing to go the extra yard for the company and it is our partners and hiring managers who will be impacted. Unfortunately it is very easy to create “wins” and a perception of successes when the reality is we are suffering and it will impact how we deliver to our customers and promote Workday to our candidates in the medium and long term.

Advice to Management

Create SMART goals, provide guidance and training to TA leaders so they can be more confident, consistent and enable us to raise our standards

Treat all employees’ INCLUDING contract employees with dignity and appreciation. We are on the front line telling the Workday story, also the valley is a small community.

Workday Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Workday Representative

Thank you for your review. We value your feedback and will absolutely keep it in mind. Providing our TA team with a rewarding career experience is a priority—at Workday, we put employees first—and we... More

"Employees are a Core Value and they mean it!"

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been impressed with how Workday leaders and employees live and breath the core values. Very customer focused!! We are growing at a high rate and growing pains are natural. Everyone seems to acknowledge them and focused on getting the company to the right place. Strong sense of "team" and wanting everyone to be successful.

Cons

As long as we stay focused on our scale we should continue to be fantastic!

"Was a great company..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Market leader in its core business
    - Wonderful products. Customers love it !
    - Great team mates
    - Good work/life balance
    - Stock price at 105 ! - helps weather the pain !
    - Interesting work ( if you know the right people )
    - Great location ( new BART and 580/680 interchange )
    - Some managers are genuinely care about their teams and stand up against upper management whims. Of course some get cut down and leave as they can't take it anymore, others just submit to the dictates and survive.

Cons

- Was a great company - pre IPO and couple of years after that
    - Culture is going down the drain with new management in Tools. Apps is still alright.
    - Apps have a different issue with proprietary technology.
    - Have to know how to suck up to upper management now to get ahead. Or else you are stuck or ignored
    - Senior management is afraid to talk to executive management about issues as it might be taken in a wrong way. Just drink the cool-aid and all will be fine.
    - Invasion of folks from Ireland

Advice to Management

- CEO should wake up to see the reality in Engineering. Just because products are selling great doesn't mean all is well. There is a reason why most of the senior engineers are leaving. Bring back previous management.
    - HR can improve their act. We are market leaders in HCM space!
    - Customer Support department needs to be revamped. Half of the support analysts don't know what they are doing. They just shiver when the top manager is on every case (literally)
    - Certainly miss Dave's openness and frank conversations
    - Create a genuine feedback loop - not just namesake - and be ready to hear honest critical opinions. Employees are your friends !

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Management cares about its workers and is flexible.

Cons

The processes and work feel outdated.

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A major player in the HCM world, and coming in strong to the financials world keeps you at the forefront of the industry.

Also, Workday really does care about its people. The salaries are good, great benefits (healthcare, PTO, stocks, etc.) and they have many perks - like discount services in the area, and their snack program.

Cons

It can be hard to get things done with the politicking. Workday seems to be so concerned with hurting someone's feelings / admitting mistakes in hiring that the bad apples tend to stick around for years. You just have to keep working around them, and in many cases cleaning up their messes to get your job done.

Advice to Management

The hiring practices need help: too many times I've seen people come in who presented well / had flashy resumes only to get into the trenches with them to find out that they know almost nothing about how to do the job they were hired for - even after EXTENSIVE training / assistance. Frankly, it would appear that many have misrepresented their achievements at other companies so they would get the Workday job. As the hiring decision is often made by the department managers who have head count open it would benefit all concerned if they got a crash course on how to read / evaluate job candidates better as the interview guidelines you send out don't seem to be cutting it.

Also, with regards to the perks: snacks and multiple yearly events are nice, but I would prefer to see the employee programs budget reimagined so it contributes a bit more to quality of life rather than just entertainment. Such as Ott lighting or better natural lighting in the offices (those fluorescents make working in the office very tiring), better seating (our desks keep getting smaller and smaller with each floor plan shuffle), or shuttles from the high populated Workday employee cities - San Jose, Concord,/Walnut Creek, etc. Yes, these are all big expenses, but I'd gladly trade the gifted Coke, Cheese Nips, Halloween Party, etc. for more me-time to read or listen to music to and from work each day.