Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Below market pay & the proprietary language are the two huge reasons we don't attract or retain top talent (in 24 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best company I have ever worked for!"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is true to its values, starting with an investment in, and strong commitment to, its people. As an employee, I have always felt very fortunate to work for such a great company, but when the entire management team was pulled into a two day off-site to learn more about how we can do even more to support our employees, I realized just how special this place is. It provides a fast faced environment where hard work and fun go hand in hand.

Cons

None, other than I wish I had joined sooner.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to embrace remote workers - they are among your most loyal employees.

2. "AMAZING"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They truly care about the employee's. Wonderful company.

Cons

None! They have been 100% true to the core values.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"A company that adapts, but must do so more quickly"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday's culture is worthy of all the positive word-of-mouth it has received. The company is aggressively improving professional development and benefits. Examples include an all-managers retreat and internal product management conference, as well as opening an on-site gym and cafe in the past year. The business is doing very well in acquiring huge customers (Amazon, Wal-mart, Citigroup), and the stock price has gained 40% in the past year. Our product will be transformed with Prism Analytics and Cloud Platform.

Cons

The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation. This affects our release velocity of features and products. Career progression is often determined not by your accomplishments, but by who you know and who recognizes you. Application developers face a career-limiter in our proprietary coding language. Compensation is below industry-standards, even when compared to other large B2B such as Salesforce and Microsoft.

Advice to Management

It is important to uphold a level of hiring quality, and to continually benchmark compensation and professional development. We shouldn't chase every tech shiny object (IoT, ML, AI...) at a shallow level just because it's "hip" at the time, only to be forgotten later for the next shiny object.

"Transition period for the company"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

great growth, need to prove they can sustain it.

Cons

no proven ability to take the company to the next level

"A great place going through a lot of change"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday really do practice what they preach in terms of employee satisfaction. Work-life balance is great for most teams, employees are happy to come in every day, and office culture is fun and laid back.

Workday's core product is quite good. It works well and while there are some rough edges, the system is fairly robust. Firefighting is rare and general pace is relaxed because of it.

Cons

The company has grown far too quickly without adequate management training or clear promotion tracks. When outside managers are brought in they tend to not fit into Workday's laid-back, people-first culture .

High-level strategy is very top down and often mysterious. A lot of things are they way they are "just because."

People are too nice and the product and especially tech stack suffer for it. Decisions are often made to reduce conflict rather than improve the product and technology.

Advice to Management

Embrace conflict. Make hard decisions. Let technical initiatives build from the bottom up rather than the top down. Focus on leadership growth. Stop hiring so quickly.

"Shiny on the surface, not so shiny inside"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday has a lot of positives. It stays out of scandals and controversies, promotes diversity, provides reasonable balance between work and personal life, maintains nice offices, runs a good college program, pays attention to the customers. Most new hires love it when they join.

Cons

There is a dark side as well. Workday has two non-written values: the decisions are pushed from the top and company is trying to avoid any conflicts instead of figuring out how to resolve them. As a result, once you spend some time here, you start noticing enormous amount of technical debt building up, teams and employees are not able to agree on their plans, absence of clearly stated goals, operational metrics and other tools healthy companies are using to measure and tune themselves to stay fit. That causes a lot of tension and frustration. Eventually politics takes over technology.

Advice to Management

Clear the technical debt. And make changes to prevent it from building up again. Instead of avoiding discussions and conflicts we need a way to discuss and agree. We need to truly accept the concepts like "fail fast" and "disagree and commit".

7. "Truly a Top Place to Work"

Current Employee - HCM SC
    Current Employee - HCM SC

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Managers, Work Life Balance, Benefits, Diverse

Cons

Can't think of any. It's my perfect job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "Workday"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture, opportunities, and benefits.

Cons

None, that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

None other than please continue the amazing work you do!

9. "Best place I've ever worked."

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great perks and benefits and hard work is acknowledged. Great benefits and comany perks.

Cons

Hiring seems to be ongoing even if the department isn't demanding it.

"Great company; perhaps too much change"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture; everyone understands how to work in a team. Supportive structure. Big on developin talent from within. For the most part Workday hires great managers who know how to look out for people.

Cons

This applies only to sales: quotas are a little unreasonable. Every year too much change that disrupts selling cycles and relationships into accounts. Bit of a perception that the products sell themselves. Sales consultants can be prima donnas. Not enough accounts to go around.

Advice to Management

Year to year change should stop. At least implement a plan that sustains for 2 years. Getting to be too too heavy.