Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation" (in 15 reviews)

• "It can feel like you are stuck in Application Development using a proprietary language" (in 29 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very interested In employee training moral, Customer satisfaction. They will challenge you to learn. Good so far.

Cons

None so far. Be careful of growth too fast as that could change the culture

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Workday is changing..."

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

-Good local Office Culture. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out.
    -Product itself is incredible which makes demoing it really fun and "easy".

Cons

-They take advantage of being the "best place to work" by grossly under paying employees. on avg. 20-30K less than competitors.
    -Promotions are extremely limited and difficult to attain.
    -With recent leadership changes in the sales/presales organization there is less emphasis on the employees and a lot more on the bottom line. There have been cut backs and many employees internally are not pleased.
    -Choose Workday if making money is NOT your priority.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day if you do not pay your top performers or give them the promotions they deserve they will leave no matter how great Workday is. Expect a higher turnover rate over next year or so.

3. "Uppermost management - finance SLC"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Our location has great people who work hard The majority of people are fantastic and I like coming to work every day. We have an awesome office and I love my co-workers.

Cons

Finance management/leaders in SLC are so concerned with culture yet do not actively engage in it. They demand accommodations for people who do not attend events in addition to demanding changes to plans which only benefit their team. They discourage their employees from joining local committees and blackball people who question their authority. They complain that our culture isn’t where it should be yet they won’t engage or work with our other local leaders and stakeholders.

By not attending events and not participating on a larger level (outside their department) they send the message that we as employees can’t or shouldn’t participate either.

They want to be “more like Pleasanton” but have a single minded and holier than thou attitude about themselves.
     Fix the leaders and culture will benefit.

Advice to Management

Find finance leaders SLC who practice what they preach, are team players and can handle opposing views and opinions.

"Everything is Good in General - A Couple Things That Could Use Improvement (Financials)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance
    I like most of my coworkers
    Generally Nice/Helpful People
    I think generally good vibes and folks with good intentions
    I think we do our best to deliver good product for customers

Cons

As the group is growing they are adding new management layers and trying to measure our performance in various ways. Management is also always trying to "improve" things so you are constantly having to explain yourself to various people and prove yourself over and over again. Every time we get a new manager (PM, Dev or QA) they try and change what we are doing and we have to jump through hoops only for them to realize it was unnecessary and we were doing just fine the way we were.

We have grown really fast in Financials Apps over the last 2+ years and I feel like some hires have been good and others have been pretty terrible. Those folks who immediately show themselves to be a bad fit are not shown the door and drag everything down.

Work/Life Balance and WFH is good but some people take advantage and are going to ruin it for everyone else.

Seems like management is always soliciting cross functional feedback but this leads to feeling like you are constantly being talked about behind your back. I am not the only one who feels this way.

In general in my area I think the PMs have struggled to hire and adequately train folks before throwing them into the fire. It slows the team down and results in frustration.

Advice to Management

If there is a new hire that basically everyone complains about you should take it seriously because there is a reason. One or two years down the line they are still driving everyone crazy. Please just swiftly deal with the issue instead of dragging it out.

Please stop hiring PMs and then giving them minimal training/ramp up time before they start managing a team. It's really frustrating to have a PM who doesn't even know the current capabilities of the feature they own trying to explain what the team needs to design. Eventually they will learn and get up to speed but it is currently a very painful process to get them there.

Please encourage managers to shut down the gossip mill (for lack of a better word). Its really hard to go to work everyday knowing that any mistake you made will be analyzed by EVERYONE. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining this. Many folks I have talked to in real life and also reviews I see on Glassdoor allude to this aspect of the culture.

I've seen a lot of complaints about managers through Glassdoor (and I for sure know of some crummy mid-level managers in my org). Most of the manager fails I've seen have been outside hires. No matter how well someone interviews and their impeccable credentials you won't know how they are until they come into the org. If you take protecting the culture seriously you have to be more careful who you are hiring as managers and consider promoting internally more often.

"Sales Operations"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company as a whole is good. Lots of fun events to make employees happy.

Cons

Middle management in sales operations (deal management) is horrible. Management is mediocre and promoted to their level of incompetence who abuses power and destroys team morale. Even after several members of the team have left the company because of the this terrible middle management, the company has done nothing to remediate this behavior. Other parts of the company is great, just beware of joining their deal management team. Worst working experience ever. Don't ever expect to grow your career within this group if you are not personal friends with your manager.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples before you lose all the good people.

"I really wanted Workday to be my home, but I just can't stay"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are smart, dedicated, and very, very supportive. Strong sense of mission and future. Great founders - easy to rally behind. Solid pay, good benefits.

Cons

Not the place to go if you want to advance your career. I love the work, but Workday has been the worst career choice in my life. No way to get ahead. Look elsewhere if you want to grow. If you want to do the same job under frequently changing managers and empty promises, join the team.

Advice to Management

I know you are trying hard to keep the culture strong, but without real opportunity it doesn't matter.

7. "Wonderful internship experience"

Pros

- Employees are extremely helpful and kind
    - Campus is beautiful
    - Workday's intern program is phenomenal. We go on trips and get a lot of support.

Cons

My project wasn't as exciting as I hoped

8. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Flexible time off. Socially responsible company.

Cons

Very flat organization. Not a ton of opportunities for vertical movement.

Advice to Management

Offer better guidance on other business functions within the company to empower employees to branch out and try a role they would've never considered in the past.

"Management, management, management."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.
    Flexible hours.
    Quite a few perks/events.

Cons

Management is slowly getting worse.
    "Employee first" is no longer true for every team.
    Management.
    Only good when landing on the right team.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about individual growth for the employee. That's the only way talent is not lost.
    Some teams are being treated completely differently than others because of managers...

"Seize Your Opportunities: They're Everywhere at Workday"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Support — Leadership teams are willing to share information and get you to take advantage of your core strengths.

*Amazing culture — We have a lot of fun at work. It can be a challenge to maintain a close-knit, inclusive culture in a large corporate setting, but Workday achieves it. There are always opportunities for improvement, but we have the right people/teams in place to ensure we're always putting our best foot forward.

*Development — Your experience at Workday is what you make of it. If you want to learn about an entirely new field, do it! We want to foster a culture of lifetime learning and having people at Workday who want that for themselves only makes us better.

Cons

The work/life balance can be a challenge, at times. Sure, there are days where you stay late, but it is also up to the employee to dictate their employee experience. If you need the time off, take it. The well-being of our workforce is incredibly important so look out for yourself.

Showing 918 of 1,022 reviews