Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Project Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing product. Great people to work with.

Cons

Fast growing company experiences some growth challenges.

"Was a great company..."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Market leader in its core business
    - Wonderful products. Customers love it !
    - Great team mates
    - Good work/life balance
    - Stock price at 105 ! - helps weather the pain !
    - Interesting work ( if you know the right people )
    - Great location ( new BART and 580/680 interchange )
    - Some managers are genuinely care about their teams and stand up against upper management whims. Of course some get cut down and leave as they can't take it anymore, others just submit to the dictates and survive.

Cons

- Was a great company - pre IPO and couple of years after that
    - Culture is going down the drain with new management in Tools. Apps is still alright.
    - Apps have a different issue with proprietary technology.
    - Have to know how to suck up to upper management now to get ahead. Or else you are stuck or ignored
    - Senior management is afraid to talk to executive management about issues as it might be taken in a wrong way. Just drink the cool-aid and all will be fine.
    - Invasion of folks from Ireland

Advice to Management

- CEO should wake up to see the reality in Engineering. Just because products are selling great doesn't mean all is well. There is a reason why most of the senior engineers are leaving. Bring back previous management.
    - HR can improve their act. We are market leaders in HCM space!
    - Customer Support department needs to be revamped. Half of the support analysts don't know what they are doing. They just shiver when the top manager is on every case (literally)
    - Certainly miss Dave's openness and frank conversations
    - Create a genuine feedback loop - not just namesake - and be ready to hear honest critical opinions. Employees are your friends !

"Senior Talent Acquisition Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work
    Flexible work schedule
    Unlimited PTO
    Bring your dog to work
    Supportive and transparent leadership
    Cares about diversity and inclusion
    Employee first values
    Encourages work-life balance

Cons

No free transportation to and from work like other top tech companies; there is tax free public transportation benefits
    Free snacks m, drinks but no regular free meals

"Company Culture is changing"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its all good until 2017.. Good Benefits, good package

Cons

Culture is slowly changing, as they are hiring more people from cisco, which they bring worst sort of culture with. Hiring people of less talent, just because they know them. Everyone has their own agenda to promote, rather than company growth.

Advice to Management

Hire the best, rather than hire/promote the people who you know from before.

6. "Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The people are the best you'll ever meet.

Cons

Since we have the best product in our space, competitors like to sling mud in our direction. I thrive on healthy competition but some of Workday's competitors are down right DIRTY.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

"Think twice before joining Workday's Security team"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Workday's Charity and Volunteer Program ("Giving and Doing") is the best I've seen at any employer. We are serious about giving back, and that sentiment is shared from the top down.

Workday product is Best In Class, and our customers love us.

Workday Senior Management takes Privacy, Confidentiality, and Security seriously.

Workday's Employee Programs team is always doing things for the employees to make our work day fun and interesting.

Cons

Mass exodus of Security Engineers at Workday. If you're thinking about taking one of those positions, here's some things you want to know.

Security's management team is unprofessional, inexperienced and incompetent. The "culture" is commonly talked about as "a typical engineering org". This somehow explains the bad behavior and fist-bump decision-making.

Workday Security is a mix between a frat house and Lord of the Flies. Nerf gun bullets are everywhere, and one manager in particular acts like a human bullhorn, marching around barking at the team. The managers are aggressive, argumentative, insulting, and antagonistic.

In December 2016 the CEO said that bad managers would be fired. 10 months later, I guess this is not considered bad management.

Advice to Management

Senior Management:

Stop sending out surveys asking the employees if they're happy. Have a face-to-face conversation with the employees and ask those questions.

Start asking why so many employees are leaving...none so far have left for "better opportunities".

Know that when your managers are sitting at the table with you, they're on their best behavior. Totally different people.

"Quickly becoming a shadow of its former self"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with, professional and knowledgeable. HCM is still a great product.

Cons

Culture has gone downhill and is sinking fast. Company focus is now on expansion so taking on more and more customers. In making Workday more attractive financially for customers resources are being reduced for customer-facing roles. All the power is in Pleasanton, so if you're in a region you're the tail wagging the dog. Not enough coordination across departments is causing confusion.

Advice to Management

Focus used to be on happy customers, now it's on number of customers. Leadership keeps saying culture is important but it's nearly gone. Need more actions than words.

"Great Company - awesome talent team"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday overall is an amazing company to work for. For example, great people, values, culture, work life balance, and steadily increasingly market share. It's tempting to sell your RSUs every quarter, but I could easily see our market share double if not triple in the next few years.

The Talent Acquisition team has gone through a great deal of change over the last year, however, it was much needed - we needed to put on our big boy shoes and build for the future. The leadership team and front line managers have a clear path and direction for the future. Where doubling down on our employees, culture, and building scalable hiring processes that will help us double and triple in the years to come.

Cons

Sometimes it's easy to get frustrated with the lack of urgency and passion from a minority of colleagues, but I feel like our recent hiring has emphasized quality over quality and we are finally getting the talent the company deserves.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees! Your investments will pay dividends as we retain top employees, attract better talent, and increase morale and quality across the company. Keep up the great work!

"Workday Employee"

Current Employee - Production Support Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Production Support Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit of working with very smart people who are passionate about what they do. Good commute. Expanding company so there's some job security.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge. pay is under range. Need to move into management it appears to have a more stable career.

Advice to Management

Pay more to outstanding employees. Just look at the reviews for the first 3-5 years and identify those shining stars that shoild get additional recognition.