Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation (in 14 reviews)

• Below market pay & the proprietary language are the two huge reasons we don't attract or retain top talent (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Pros

Great Company, people and culture

Cons

Cant think of any serious issue

2. "Finance team in Salt Lake City"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and core values really do mean something here and managers and employees genuinely care about maintaining a great place to work.

It’s a fast-moving environment, well-staffed, and great work/life balance. Lots of opportunity to grow and develop either within the Finance organization or in other groups in the Salt Lake office. Career development is a priority and I regularly see internal promotions and people moving around to different areas inside/outside of Finance.

Finance does a good job of hosting lots of fun events… everything from scavenger hunts downtown, escape rooms, bowling, golf and cantinas. There is also a big focus on charitable events like food drives, food bank days, holiday gift programs and cangineering events.

Perks – good insurance benefits, fitness reimbursement program, free snack program, dogs allowed.

Cons

There isn't a lot of downside here, it's a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the TERRIFIC work. Thanks Workday for making your employees and customers the top priority.

"Workday is smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Great benefits, decent compensation, strong senior leadership

Cons

The negative reviews are right. I know you’re thinking “its a top place to work.” But those numbers are skewed. Don’t be fooled like me. Wday sends those surveys to employees they expect will rate them favorably. Here’s more truth:

1. Nepotism is real here and there’s no plans to stop it.
    2. “Its not what you know, its who you know. Hard work gets you no where, sucking up and strong relationships do..”- Workday Proverb
    3. Backstabbing/Political Culture. The comments of blacklisting, HR turning on you and career suicide are true
    4. This is not a place to “grow” your career if that’s what you want pick a different company. This is a place to build skills and move on.

Advice to Management

Do better. You’re creating Oracle #2. The culture is not what we are making it out to be. Take a cold hard look in the mirror. Treat people better. Create clear paths to success. Priortize skills and performance over loyalty and friendship.

4. "Great place to work and great team to be a part of."

Current Employee - Functional Consultant
    Current Employee - Functional Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday loves their employees! I always feel appreciated and loved. As a remote person they sent out packages to people to say thanked for being a workmate. Thanks Workday.

Cons

Unlimited PTO is hard to access because you still hours requirements for hours to work.

I would like PTO to be easier to take. I wish I had back my two-three weeks off each year. The first 10 days should not impact my utilization and possible compensation. Unlimited PTO is only good depending on the position you are in. Can we choose?

Advice to Management

Keep loving your people. Remote worker love is just as important, if not more than the non remote workers because the remote workers are alone everyday.

Communication is wonderful, open, honest, and sincere.

Benefits are great. Healthcare prices are great, gym reimbursement, 401k matching is improved, and the Employee Stock Plan is wonderful.

5. "Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture focused on shared success

Cons

Reorganizes to frequently to chase growth

"Great company, but room for improvement as we grow"

Current Employee - Principal Talent Acquisition Advisor in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Talent Acquisition Advisor in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is second to none.
    Very well received product in the marketplace, stable customer base and still in hypergrowth mode.
    Approachable exec team, led by a strong CEO.
    Constantly striving to be better in every area of the business from the culture, technology, innovation and staying ahead of the competition.
    Strong core values that carry through the organization: Employees, Customers, Integrity, Profitability and Fun.
    The Workday Community extends beyond its employees to family and furry friends.

Cons

Definite struggles in mid-management
    Top-down communication and org restructuring is a struggle
    Slow to develop talent in some areas, ceilings in leadership opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep true to your core values, and invest in people development more and more, continue to innovate to stay ahead of the pretenders.

"Wonderful workplace, but sometimes disconnected"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people. Product is loved by customers and is genuinely the best in its space. Management is generally qualified and knows their work. Remote work opportunities and flexibility.

Cons

Remote work comes with its own challenges, and often groups or individuals can feel very isolated or disconnected from the company at large. Far too many internal systems and communication platforms further confusing where to go for information.

Advice to Management

Simplify internal systems and communications, and look for more opportunities to engage your remote employees and their teams.

"Great company with deteriorating culture"

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, a great company to work for. Co-founders are well-respected individuals. High growth, rapid expansion and lots of opportunities. Friendly working environment and lots of social activities for workmates. Well-stocked lunch rooms and regular Friday happy hours. Dog friendly.

Cons

More politics than before, and some have individual or team agenda instead of working toward company goals. The company is made up of mostly employees who were hired in the past 2 years. Miss the team spirit and selfless commitment that took the company public.

Advice to Management

Good employees leave company because of their managers, and some of these managers are higher level managers (at VP level) who have a lot of influence in the team culture. Great culture needs to start from the top.

"Great company, but culture is slipping"

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant people all working together to do amazing things. Best product on the market and really good technology backing it up.

Cons

Some senior leadership changes over the past couple of years are starting to erode the culture. People and customers first are core values, but as the company grows the focus is on metrics, not people.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees first and great things will happen. Be careful that each senior leader lives the values.

"Talent acquisition = Miserable environment = Run!"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with a caring CEO, great co-workers, convenient location for people who live on this side of the Bay, free snacks, flexible hours.

Cons

There are some really good things going on in Talent Acquisition but don’t let the facade fool you. Some groups are disorganized and just plain miserable to work with. Let’s just put this out there already. TA leaders/managers often act entitled and ignore the dysfunction playing out right in front of them. The work environment is impersonal, unprofessional and hostile. Managers act like bullies, and bash their team mates and leadership turns a blind eye. Contractors are treated poorly and often face discriminatory actions. I’ve worked with my fair share of recruting organizations & teams and sadly, TA at Workday really took the pleasure out of doing a job I otherwise love.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers. They are ‘dead weight’ to the organization and serve no purpose other than destroying morale.