Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "None that I can really think of but the company is growing extremely fast which makes it hard to keep up with everything" (in 25 reviews)

• "The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Worth your time, effort, and energy!"

Current Employee - Integration Support Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Integration Support Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people, Grown Up attitude with excitement. Great work / life balance, compensation, and benefits!

Cons

Not much of a con, but you'll find a steep learning curve to do your job well as with any company that has their own SAAS solution.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the energy and culture are catching and a great change to standard corporate america Kindergarten atmosphere mentality.

"Workday is changing..."

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

-Good local Office Culture. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out.
    -Product itself is incredible which makes demoing it really fun and "easy".

Cons

-They take advantage of being the "best place to work" by grossly under paying employees. on avg. 20-30K less than competitors.
    -Promotions are extremely limited and difficult to attain.
    -With recent leadership changes in the sales/presales organization there is less emphasis on the employees and a lot more on the bottom line. There have been cut backs and many employees internally are not pleased.
    -Choose Workday if making money is NOT your priority.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day if you do not pay your top performers or give them the promotions they deserve they will leave no matter how great Workday is. Expect a higher turnover rate over next year or so.

"I really wanted Workday to be my home, but I just can't stay"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are smart, dedicated, and very, very supportive. Strong sense of mission and future. Great founders - easy to rally behind. Solid pay, good benefits.

Cons

Not the place to go if you want to advance your career. I love the work, but Workday has been the worst career choice in my life. No way to get ahead. Look elsewhere if you want to grow. If you want to do the same job under frequently changing managers and empty promises, join the team.

Advice to Management

I know you are trying hard to keep the culture strong, but without real opportunity it doesn't matter.

"Management, management, management."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.
    Flexible hours.
    Quite a few perks/events.

Cons

Management is slowly getting worse.
    "Employee first" is no longer true for every team.
    Management.
    Only good when landing on the right team.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about individual growth for the employee. That's the only way talent is not lost.
    Some teams are being treated completely differently than others because of managers...

5. "My review"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company! Really cares about employees!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great things!

"No Career Growth for Remote Workers"

Current Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits.

Cons

If you're remote, you'll get gifts in the mail. But you won't get a promotion, nor will you ever be recognized for your work. Apparently remote workers can only be individual contributors, not managers or directors. It's a great job, but it's still a dead end if you can't advance.

Advice to Management

Treat your remote workers better.

"Implementation Strategy Enablement Professional"

Current Employee - Implementation Strategy Enablement Professional in Orange, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Flexibility to work from anywhere, including from home
    * 401K Matching
    * Great working culture
    * Smart colleagues
    * Opportunity to influence the future product roadmap of the company
    * Amazing CEO

Cons

* Managers are not necessarily good leaders here. Some of them only care about pursuing their own goals, instead of focusing on their direct reports' well-being (helping you achieve your target utilization, bonus, etc).
    * Promotion path is not well defined (almost non-existent) - people who got promoted typically have close relationships with upper managements. It's about who you know and how well you click with the individuals who can promote you.

"Great management at low levels, atrocious in the high levels."

Current Employee - Non-Management BT Org in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Non-Management BT Org in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday is a great place to work, you can express yourself, get the tools you need to do your job and get training to chase your career goals. Fun parties, events and culture. Definitely solid. My manager and my sr. manager are not only my bosses, they're also my personal friends and I love them dearly.

Cons

Upper management does nothing but ignore the subject experts. Whether it's pushing for a project and insisting on unrealistic time frames or just downright ignoring the project engineer because the vendor is a potential customer. Pulling in "friends" who are ill-equiped or downright awful to manage at high levels. Nothing but butt kissing and ignoring their subordinates. The overall impression of the SMT in my org, is they don't give a damn about anyone who isn't a director or above. All we are are tools in their scheme to get that next raise. It's sickening. That and they declare organizational goals and then RADICALLY change them a month later. Nobody takes them seriously because they make it impossible to do so.

Advice to Management

Give your low level employees more recognition. Stop taking credit for project completions that you had NOTHING to do with and actively worked against. Because we all know, if we missed the deadline that's when our faces would be plastered all over the reports. You are single handedly destroying the culture at this fine company and you should be ashamed. That and LISTEN to the engineers/technicians/PMOs *YOU EFFING HIRED* to get projects done! If they say _______ cant be done in X amount of time, we need X more days/months, you LISTEN.

"Just doing the Bare Minimum, be prepared to dear with Incompetent Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Workday's HCM product shines on a field of sub-par competitor products from Oracle & SAP. Senior Leadership has a vision for where they want to take the company (something completely & utterly lost on middle management). Good thing is that Senior Management : CXO level is aware of the bad management cancer that is eating the company from within, and is taking some steps towards addressing the rot. Unfortunately for the organization as a whole it might be too little too late. Great work life balance especially if you have kids. Lot of talk about Workday culture, but, not a lot of folks other than senior leadership that truly believe and follow the values.
    Great for folks that have pets, this is a truly pet loving company and they go above and beyond in giving back to the community.

Cons

In the Bay Area where companies pay top dollar for top talent, Workday is stingy on both stock & salaries for most employees, although senior leadership rewards itself very well with stock options. The company does not aim to retain top tier talent, most top performers chose to go elsewhere since there are no career opportunities. Promotions and raises are reserved for friends and family. Frequent re-orgs to move bad management around and try to resolve long festering issues.
    Compared to other silicon Valley companies, Workday does enough to get all their check boxes ticked and get away with as little as they can e.g. the cheapest snack selection in Silicon Valley, lousy gym, overpriced cafe with substandard food options, no company provided transportation, minimal 401k match.

Advice to Management

Clean up your middle management. It is very well know throughout the company, that middle management: Manager, Directors, VPs are incompetent and have made it to those positions only through their personal friendships and\or length of service in the company. Address management issues before it is too late and company is outsmarted by smaller, more nimble competitors.
    Manager 360 feedback is a great initiative, but, bad managers still seem to thrive, patronage and favoritism is still rampant despite Dave & Aneel doing their best to root it out.
    You cannot build a Great Company on the Back of low performing Managers.

"Great to Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot o good people started and built this company and they’ve built products that are Moderately better than many of their competitors’

Cons

Lots of waste, superfluous process, major org changes every 6-12 months, and declining culture caused by an emphasis to protect executive management’s self-esteem over actually identifying real problems so they can be solved.

Advice to Management

Bring back Dave