Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
Cons
  • Demands on work life balance can often times create a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• No free meals like other companies in the Bay Area (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company culture and top-notch engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

If anything, Workday is great at three things - having fun, rewarding talent, and creating a great product. The engineering staff is brilliant and great ideas are rewarded and embraced by management. The engineering culture is 'no divas, no cowboys' and this encourages teams to cultivate growth in new members as opposed to isolating them in the shadow of senior team members. Workday engineers are less concerned with job titles and more concerned about collaborating to create a stellar product which we can all truly believe in.

Cons

As is the case with cloud computing, there are a lot of moving parts which make up the Workday product, and many of them are Workday proprietary. So, if you do not like to learn new things, this might not be the job for you. But if you love being on the cutting edge of tech and enjoy new challenges, then you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a stellar job - they take team building seriously and they have very stringent hiring processes which ensure that we only hire the best.

Workday Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Workday Representative

Thanks for your review!

"Great workmates make for a great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talent in the company
    People share what they know
    Consistently looking out for others - both inside the company and outside

Cons

Can't think of any to mention

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our culture. It's truly making a difference.

3. "Good people, fair work, better than I expected"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Workday for about six months now, and figured it's as good of a time as any to leave a review. Before working at Workday, I was at an agency making mobile apps on contract, and before that I was with a robotics startup that had an awesome product, but killer hours. Coming in to Workday, I was a more than a little skeptical given that it's a fairly big company in a not-so-exciting field (HR software). The main reason I decided to give it a chance was the recommendation of a former co-worker who also works here. Overall it turned out to be a great decision. A few of the pros:

* Reasonable working hours - you're not constantly working like a startup
    * Great pay/stock - they know how to use the carrot to motivate, and I'm OK with that
    * Awesome people - I work directly with a lot of good engineers, and have definitely learned a lot/grown in just the last few months that I've been here. There's definitely a focus on creating maintainable and extendable software
    * Not stagnating with latest patterns - there's been a lot of new tech coming out for our platform in the last year or so, and we've been able to incorporate it into our product so our skills aren't just stagnating and getting stale.
    * Pretty flexible with time spent in the office - I have some medical things that can sometimes stop me from going in pretty frequently, and it hasn't been a problem. We can take our laptops home and there's systems in place for being able to get up and running as if I were hooked up to the office network.

Cons

Surprisingly, no major cons. I was just talking about work with my girlfriend the other day and didn't have anything major to complain about (aside from the obvious "meh, I had to work and deal with things" that you'll have anywhere - that is why we're paid, right?), and I don't think I ever have. That's saying a bit, since I've definitely had complaining points for every other place I've worked :p

"Cultural Facade..not the cultural gem portrayed in media."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hr technology in cloud that shifted what
    expectations should be for enterprise software. Great snacks and cool offices. People in the field try so hard. Lots of good people in lower ranks of organization.

Cons

Culture is not real and means very little at the top of the organization. Egos and fear rule and people are afraid to speak up for fear of losing job/ stock. The stock incentive has caused bad behavior which has resulted in a cut throats culture. People fend for themselves at the cost and detriment of others. If you are not employee 1-500 you do not matter. At the cultural improvement events the stories all tied back to employees from the beginning...that in itself tells a bigger story.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are in trenches doing the hard work to make the company profitable. Making decisions on emotion and whim takes so much toll on the organizations morale and core being.

"Learning Constantly and Culture is Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering I in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the company is growing so much, there are a lot of veterans and new faces. It is a good balance because the new faces that are young and old still bring a new perspective and prove that Workday is committed to the future. Every new hire has a mentor and someone to talk to about issues, like a buddy. I really enjoy it because I am a younger generation that might need some guidance on coding standards or best practices that only a veteran would know. I love the diversity of the company and the willingness for the company to love everyone. They hire for people, and train for the skills, so if you feel like you have the personality and the willingness to learn new things, this is the company for you. Also, there are free snacks!

Cons

Sometimes people have an issue with this "Unlimited PTO" because they don't know what that really means. If you talk to your manager though, they can tell you about how much they expect you can take (somewhere between 3-5 weeks a year is what I've noticed, swaying towards 2-3 for new employees)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Taking the work out of workday"

Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Value Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture that makes it a continuously fun and challenging place to work. The flexibility and autonomy that are given to employees is unmatched. Last, but definitely not least, the product and innovation keep everyone driving hard day in and day out.

Cons

Keeping a heartbeat on company happenings can be difficult if you're not in California.

"I would only work in sales at Workday if you have a manager you trust."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong CEO, focused product team, disruptive product in HCM, opportunity to make good money, good health benefits, paid gym membership for remote employees

Cons

Sales leadership was constantly changing. Three different VP's in 11 months. I would only work here if your direct manager is someone you trust and will give you the time it takes to get your deals off the ground. On average it takes 1.5-2 yrs to close a deal. There are way too many AE's covering to few accounts. All the low hanging fruit is covered and it still takes a very long time to close those deals. As much as they talk about Workday core values they do not apply to sales. AE's are way to competitive with each other because they are desperate to close a deal. Not very collaborative. Managers work on deals independently of their AE's. Seems crazy. I don't understand why they don't assign them to an AE and focus on managing, leading and supporting their team.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with AE's about the sales cycle and process. If you believe you are hiring people that are great cultural fits for Workday make sure their managers are there to support them.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday is a fun and challenging place to work. Everyone there is top talent; Workday does not waste its time with mediocrity. Expect to have a lot expected of you and to be surrounded by people who strive to better themselves and learn something new every day. Also, the work/life balance and flexibility is as good as it gets. Work from home whenever you need to, as long as you get your job done.

Cons

Workday is still a fairly new company and is still growing and learning. I think they need to focus on their benefits offering at their regional offices. Headquarters may have free parking, but in Boston it's pretty standard for a company of Workday's size to offer a commuter subsidy. However, only the pre-tax deduction is offered. The 401k match just started in 2016, which is great. But, I hope it grows to be more than the cap of a $3k match. Also, the company has an unlimited PTO policy, which is great for anyone who is NOT in the professional services part of the organization. In professional services, there are billable hours targets that must be met to receive your bonus, and they only give you a 3 week PTO "credit" (i.e. any PTO time or other non-billable time, including the mandatory training and meetings, over 3 weeks has to be made up to achieve your target).

Advice to Management

I would suggest that HR from headquarters in Pleasanton, CA participate in local HR networking and benchmarking groups to get a better sense of what types of benefits and other programs employers in the various regions are offering. I would also suggest they recognize their professional services employees both on billable hours AND how they do their work. As a company they focus heavily on customer satisfaction. However, professional services is only rewarded for how many hours they charge their customers.

"Great company, dysfunctional Talent Acquisition team."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the company is a good one. Our product offerings are best in our space, and the overall temperament of the company culture is above average. I also truly believe that our CEO's, Aneel and Dave, genuinely believe in our core values. This review is solely based on the current Talent Acquisition team/leadership.

Cons

Previous leadership in Talent Acquisition, while it may not have been perfect, was unifying, empowering and positive. The team felt driven and supported. It was indeed a "great place to work." There was transparency in the communications out to the team, and consistency in their message, mission and the treating employees with fairness and integrity. There has been many changes within the last 6+ months, and the general consensus is that our current leads/leadership is impersonal, calculating and cold. There are managers who would be prefer to not have to manage people but who are forced to in order to move up the ranks, and there are managers who should not have been promoted to a lead role because of a lack of experience. Along with that, there is a reorg going on in the group, and lots of movement. Both contract employees and full time are being treated as if they are quite disposable and feeling very unappreciated and unnerved. Morale is at an all time low and the overall vibe is quite toxic. Even people who act as if they are content have their eye on the market. A lot of us that have been here awhile feel if it wasn't broke, why try to fix it? Talent Acquisition and HR seem to have lost our bearing and we need to get back to our core values of integrity, collaboration, putting our customers/candidates and our employees first.

Advice to Management

I would say more guidance and training to TA leadership on how to be more consistent, fair, positive and communicative. Treat all employees, regardless if they are contract or perm, with more humanity and appreciation. It's a small world and an even smaller valley, and recruiters tend to have very large
     networks and talk to a lot of people every day.

"Infrastructure Engineer"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best place to work.

Cons

I don't see yet and may not.