Workday Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The almost leisurely work-life balance can lead to inertia from those who take advantage of the situation" (in 18 reviews)

• "Working in a proprietary language that doesn’t translate to other places" (in 32 reviews)

""Great" place to work is an understatement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the best part about Workday is the culture and the people. Although it has only been a few months since I started working here, I have already experienced a lot of fun moments with my Workmates and a few accomplishments as the cherry on top. Fun is always encouraged, there is no micromanagement and I personally was given complete freedom and control over my work, projects and tasks. Great opportunities for career progression, training for software and tools and mentorship programs. When I share my experiences with friends and peers in the tech industry they can even get jealous at times.

Cons

Like any company growing at this speed, change is constantly happening. I personally like it, so not really a con for me but it could be a con for some people depending on their character.

I would've loved if the cloud cafe was fully subsidized but not really that important of a detail.

No other cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Do not let anything change the culture of the company. I love every moment at Workday and my Workmates!

"Workday is changing..."

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

-Good local Office Culture. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out.
    -Product itself is incredible which makes demoing it really fun and "easy".

Cons

-They take advantage of being the "best place to work" by grossly under paying employees. on avg. 20-30K less than competitors.
    -Promotions are extremely limited and difficult to attain.
    -With recent leadership changes in the sales/presales organization there is less emphasis on the employees and a lot more on the bottom line. There have been cut backs and many employees internally are not pleased.
    -Choose Workday if making money is NOT your priority.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day if you do not pay your top performers or give them the promotions they deserve they will leave no matter how great Workday is. Expect a higher turnover rate over next year or so.

"Great Place Work - Love Our Team - Executive Level Top C-Level Mgmt Needs Help"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to come into work everyday. I'm happy everyday I walk through those doors. I have amazing Workmates, and everyone is passionate about the work we do. We have great perks and celebrate milestones both big and small. Fortunate to work for a company that values diversity, passion, it's employees, and FUN!

Cons

C-Level top management need to live our Workday Core Values. If we are all encouraged to live by them daily, so should you. Your smile on stage hides the negativity you spread with the team you are building under you.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to take a hard look at the C-Levels directly under him, regardless of their tenure or PS legacy. Their cancer is spreading and everyone wonders why you can't see it...or don't want to. A few bad apples are spoiling the bunch.

"Cracks appearing"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great workmates, sense of purpose

Cons

Losing the core value of employees as key, too many new and improved productivity and career ideas with little follow through and then, another new and improved something. You can work long hours and still be fully ignored for career growth so leaders can indulge favorites. Best new roles go to outside hires only despite all the encouragement to apply and promise of career mobility.

Advice to Management

Remember what made you great.

"Weird promotion/growth paths"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ive been working at Workday full time, for four years. There are a lot of benefits to the role, and excellent company leadership, but the company sometimes falls short on being tone-deaf to what the employees actually want, such as clear individual growth paths.

Cons

The company has an incredibly ridiculous promotion path. For example, when you are promoted from an individual contributor to a people manager, you move to a lower title. For example, I joined as a manager, was promoted to a senior manager, and when I gained direct reports, they moved me back to a manager. Next, instead of moving into a director role, I have to be promoted to a senior manager again, and then into a director. Its difficult to get promoted, but being promoted 4 times to get the title your peers have seems out of touch and ridiculous. I know multiple people who have left the company to get the salary and title they deserve, but management won't budge because this is our "process".

"Limited Growth Opportunities for Management"

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Great benefits.
    Challenging work.
    Majority of coworkers are great.
    Onsite gym.
    Flexible with WFH when needed.

Cons

Quick to promote from IC to manager when they have a need. However, their guidance stops once you are promoted. They offer a two day leadership summit and a 3.5 day onsite training in Pleasanton, but that is where the guidance ends. Tons of raining opportunities to advance yourself if you are an IC, however, only senior level and executive level management are offered continued training opportunities. Feeling pretty stuck and as much as I love Workday, I’m about ready to start looking for a company that values growth for ALL employees, not just GWs, ICs, or executives.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to promote from within continue to support and offer growth to your new people leaders. We want to continue to grow and support our teams and company as best we can, however, as a group we are often overlooked.

"WE teams have great potential, but are held back by a toxic management culture"

Former Employee - Extensie Education Experience in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Extensie Education Experience in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and great technology, they are trying to provide a consistent Workday life across all departments that also takes into account success with all its employees, and want to learn where they could have been even better (Unfortunately the WE leadership team aren't great about trying to understand feedback and why it might bother members of their team effected by it. (not all leadership department are prepared to hold themselves accountable to making any improves that they simply disagree with, nt even open to any discussion first.

Cons

The Workday Education leadership team overall rejects and ignores any feedback they dislike or disagree with; and often time enforce policies that are not written for the benefit or satisfaction of the instructor or content creator, making this unenjoyable to deal with it, yet no functional feedback message for affecting change.

Advice to Management

Empathy, - learn the word and realize all the benefits it has for empathy being used as a tool in your daily interactions with the employees to understand that all you want is to grow in trust with one another. Without empathy, you can't fully respect where people are coming from, mentally, and what guidance/instruction they need to receive face to face to be successful.

LISTEN HEAR ACKNOWLEDGE DISCUSS FIX RETEST

"Culture is lacking as the company grows"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workday is very employee-centered. Executive leader ship is great, and really believes in the Workday product. Benefits are the best I’ve seen around.

Cons

Despite efforts by HR and more frequent visits to Salt Lake City office, nothing has changed with regards to cultural issues. Company has requested feedback from employees to better improve the office, but nothing has happened as of yet or is moving extremely slow. Not very hopeful that whoever is overseeing the improvements have any real say to make a change happen. This office is nothing like the Pleasanton office!!!

Advice to Management

Remove the bad apples when it comes to culture issues, specially when the change needs to be with management.

9. "Start up feel at an establish company, good benefits and work environment"

Current Employee - Deployment Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Deployment Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of innovation and freedom to learn in different areas. Change is a norm here. employee oriented and good benefits

Cons

Due to constant change, a clear career path is hard to see.

Advice to Management

Set up employees for career growth and success, especially to management positions

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workday's emphasis on people makes it such a neat place to work. Whether it's advocating for employees or customers, the people-centric culture is consistent throughout the entire organization. I feel extremely lucky to work for such an amazing company that has outstanding benefits as well.

Cons

I do not have any at this time