Yard House Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yard House Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2018

2.4

Waitress Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yard House in April 2014.

Interview

It was simple and straight forward. Met with two managers. First was the GM: standard questions, where have I worked previously, why I wanted to work at Yard House etc..
    Second was with the server manager: some repeated questions and then a more in depth behavioral interview questions. Then we talked about beer which was great and casual. We gave each other new beer recommendations. I was then hired.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yard House (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2016.

Interview

Straight forward until they tell you it doesn't matter how much serving experience you have, they make you start at Front Desk or Food Running. Management at this particular location is incredibly condescending, prepare yourself to talk into a place flooded with big headed egos.

Interview Questions

• How many beers do we have on tap?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yard House (Denver, CO) in June 2013.

Interview

Easy questions asking basic things about my experience and why I wanted to work there. Was not a difficult interview and they hired me on the spot. Spoke with two different managers.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yard House (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First I applied online by filing out an electronic application from Darden. I got an email a few days later saying that I would be scheduled for an interview. I called and set up a time and I went to a location downtown that was strictly set up for the new restaurant's recruiting process. I first interviewed with the server manager. He asked me about my past experience as a server. He asked me how I would describe one of our signature dishes to the customers. After about a 10 minute chat, he asked me if I had time to stick around and talk to the general manager. I waited and talked to the manager and I was pretty nervous. I thought I had bombed the interview, but after he gave me the "We'll call you talk" I told him that that's not now I wanted it to go and then he asked, well, why should we hire you? I think he respected the fact that I was able to see my weaknesses and own up to it. He gave me the job!

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yard House (Tucson, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Talked to 2 different managers, both were very nice and talkative. We talked about my past job experiences and why I liked working in the restaurant industry. We ended up talking more about my past jobs and studying abroad than my actual work experience. It was a very easy interview and I felt very comfortable. They will ask you to describe/ sell an item to them, so know how to do that

Anonymous Employee in Moorestown, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yard House (Moorestown, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

The hiring staff was very welcoming and always seemed very happy. From the day I walked into the door to fill out an application I was always greeted with a smiling face and sometimes even a high five! Everyone that worked there seemed to love their job and wanted to share that with everyone else. It was fantastic.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yard House (Greenville, SC) in May 2016.

Interview

Walked into the restaurant and told the hostesses I was there for an interview. They sat me at a table, brought me water, then I waited for a manager. I spoke with two managers who both asked me questions. It was a pretty laidback interview.

Anonymous Employee in Lynnfield, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yard House (Lynnfield, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

You meet with two managers and then the general manager. Their goal is not only to review your past work experiences but also to get to know you on a personal level. A big part of the company is working together to create a cohesive and productive environment. Your personality and work ethic will play a big role in that and that's what they want to see.

Interview Questions

• If someone walked in and ordered a bud light, how would you handle it knowing that we have so many other options for beer? Sell me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yard House (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2012.

Interview

Managers shuffled back and forth taking each others places while i was interview. (While judgemental, it seemed disorganized and destroyed any sense of conversational flow and continuity. Upon job offer, I requested the 10 days off for training intensive at my other job. On a side note, the manager i spoke to openly stated to me that they do not work around other jobs and that it should be expected to have a different schedule every week and will not be posted in advance (beyond the current week). I currently worked in horticulture at a local golf club and worked from 5am-between 11-2 (Almost entirely hours the restaurant would not be open). During the 10 day training we would only be expected to be there before 2pm, 1 day... i naturally asked to know which day that would be since that info was the difference between income for 10 days and 1 day. She said she couldnt tell me that and all information would be disemminated at its appropriate time during orientation. I show up at orientation, start my paperwork, only to find out that certified copies of birth certificates are not accepted (my original has been in a safe at my parents local bank since i was 17 and that has never caused a problem for me gaining employment in Tucson, Phoenix or Boulder CO. Additionally the Maricopa food server card machine was broken and i was given a temporary certificate of course completion and test passing. Despite calling the organization to confirm my story they declared it unacceptable! Then they tell me to get it right and start the 10 day orientation the following week. I apologize to my boss and beg for my shifts back, then request not only 10days off again for the following week but also a saturday so that i could meet my dad in a layover he luckily had at the Denver airport to hassle my birthcertificate "upstream" through customs/security. The 2nd orientation start date began at 4. My boss had tken me to a meeting with him in his car (it was a great networking opportunity for ne) He had promised we would be back in time for me to accomodate my plans. Well we weren't. Despite this I got into turbo mode, cleaned up, parked and had 1 minute to make the 20ft walk to the door (still not ideal in my mind, i had been at least 20 min early to all prior arrangements) I glanced in my car mirror and frantically realized my nose ring was still in and had been told no piercings so i fight it off my face as quickly as i can and run those 20ft. Walk in, manager says do you know what time it is. I said yes. She said you are 2 minutes late. Do you have an excuse? I humbly told her no, but that if she was interested i could tell her why i was late, and reitterated that it was not an excuse. She told me to wait. I waited. After waiting all managers sat me down, i was asked to explain. I was honest and upfront, explained i was doing my best to please everyone and obviously had come short of that. My other job was also very new, I was trying to make a good impression for them while requesting time of for interviewing, orientation, obtaining my original birth certificate as requested, unrequesting the time for orientation and re-requesting it. The work meeting my boss took me to ran late (my requested attendance was based on little more than altruism of supervisor who benevolently was trying to create more opportunities for me) . I explained that i had cushioned my time so I was still able to get ready in time, all culminating to arriving, noticing my face jewelry was still in, getting out of the car and in a panic made the decision to take the minute to come in looking exactly the way i should instead of right on time knowing the nose ring was not appropriate. It is clear that it did not matter what i said. I wasn't expecting it to. But if it had not been declared to me that b/c of all my ordeals with bringing the right documents the previous week and the minute of tardiness this week have made them decide its best to terminate the process with me... I would have had to say it because there was no way in hell i was going to unrequest and rerequest 10 days off again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult was asked but on a funny note. I was asked my favorite beer and style. To which i responded Palate Wrecker, bitter, hoppy IPA; a mouthfeel on the lighter side is a bonus and skunky like greenflash wins me over. The MANAGER then proceeds to comment ooo you must like the "whatever mediocre pils that they had on draft at the time. I smiled and said not really. I don't know if that was suppose to be some kind of test, but it wasn't a good one. You either have to suggest that the manager's recommendation made no sense or pretend to like the suggested and create dissonance between your answers....   1 Answer
    • My overall Opinion on the experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yard House (Houston, TX).

Interview

interview was very easy

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation