Zendesk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Having not interviewed formally for several years, I was pleasantly surprise at the speed and efficiency of the interview process. Very thorough, got a good feel for the company and the people and it was a positive experience. From the screening interview to the panel interview, everyone I met was really helpful, interesting and responsive to any follow up questions that I had.

Senior IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got a call from recruiter. She explained the company and position. Asked about my background and what I'm looking for.

Set up a call with the Hiring Manager, but then I was called by a former IT engineer.

Interview Questions

• Former IT engineer just asked about previous projects I've worked on. What I'm familiar with. Pretty cordial and actually pleasant to speak with   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk.

Interview

I have to say I wasn't impressed. A recruiter set up a screening interview and didn't show up for the call. No request to reschedule. No cancellation. No apology. No response to my follow-up to see if she wanted to choose another time to talk.

I've had plenty of rejections from other companies, but at least they handled things professionally. This is the first time I've been "ghosted" without ever having actually talked to anyone.

Terrible way to treat job applicants! Good luck hitting those revenue targets. Sad!

Interview Questions

• Why did you expect someone to actually show up for your interview? Loser!   Answer Question

Zendesk Response

Dec 4, 2017

Hi there, please can you email us to let us know the details of this? We would like to look in to this more. We are very sorry that this happened to you.

Customer Success Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (Madison, WI) in December 2017.

Interview

Phone screening that was set up my my employee referral, followup phone interview with team manager, then on to in person interview with two Zendesk employees. What's cool is they were transparent the whole time (most notably the team manager stage) and she let me know during that conversation that she was passing my through to the next stage.

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Zendesk.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter to inquire about when will be a good time to send a coding challenge to be solved within 24 hours. Solved and sent it back within 24 hours. Rejected saying that they decided to move forward with other candidates at the moment.

Interview Questions

• The challenge was right out of the book Cracking the Coding Interview.   Answer Question

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zendesk.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter and then the department manager. The manager came off as cold and unfriendly and did not seem like the kind of person that would be enjoyable to work for. The interview question style were the typical "what are some challenges/where do you need to improve with your career" style. Overall I would not recommend this company to others based on the interviewers personality and attitude.

Interview Questions

• Describe a software project that you architected and walk me through it so I understand it from a high level.   Answer Question
    • What is an area that you think you need to improve to progress your career to the next level?   Answer Question
    • How do you approach challenges and how could you improve the way you tackle challenges?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (Oakland, CA).

Interview

The hiring process was long and under communicated. There were several rounds of 30 minute interviews. Interviewers seemed unprepared and under skilled.
    Communication with recruiting was lacking throughout the process. The team needs to invest in interview training.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I had a great experience with the interviewing team. They were well prepared and asked intelligent questions and I was very impressed with their friendly attitude throughout the process. The recruiting coordinator worked very hard to get the interviews scheduled because there were several rounds and she did a great job keeping me informed. While that was the positive, I felt I had to constantly ask for an update from the recruiter I had to deal with. Almost every email needed a follow up. I felt I was kept in the dark for the most part and had to ask repeatedly to understand what was going on a week after I'd completed my interviews with no responses from the recruiter (including promised phone calls!). Looking at other reviews, it appears many candidates have had negative interviewing experiences with Zendesk. This is a good company and I wish they pay attention to candidate experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Quick phone chat with the internal recruiter to introduce me to their interview process and the company culture. Then another skype call with the Hiring Manger that was 50% discussion and 50% code challenge on coderpad.

After that I was flown out to SF for a full days interview with the team. I think there were 6 interviews all up with my potential peers. There was one pairing session to fix a bug in a ruby library, two interviews that were whiteboard excersizes the rest were discussions about the role and my experience.

I was not offered the role as they wanted someone with more people management experience and offered to introduce me to other teams that were looking for engineers. I was lucky enough to be offered something in another company so didn't pursue anything further with Zendesk.

Interview Questions

• Fix a bug in a ruby library, some algorithm questions and high level system architecture problem solving.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter week 1
    Phone interview with hiring manager 2 days later
    Phone interview with another member in Sr Management 2 days later
    Onsite interview (company covered travel planning and expenses) week 2
    Video interview with Marketing Executive leadership week 3
    Offer extended week 4

The most professional, transparent hiring process I've ever experienced. Their process was executed to ensure an exceptional customer experience. It's great to see a company that actually practices what they preach!

The recruiter kept me updated and quickly answered my questions throughout the entire process. The hiring manager was very responsive and helpful as well. Its evident the folks at Zendesk value their candidates.

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn to see if I was interested. I was upfront with her in saying that I was interested in zendesk but may no longer be interested in a sales related role. She informed me there could be a lot of growth in the long run so I agreed to a phone interview. After a call in which I was aggressively asked my salary requirements, I was brought in for a final round interview at the office. Assuming there would be huge growth opportunities in this role, I agreed.

The interview itself was painfully easy. One interviewer simply wanted to know if he could get along with me. Another spent the whole time talking about the role itself. The third person gave me a verbal "we want you in this job" statement. I figured I had this job in the bag.

A few days later I was asked to interview with some other leadership in the sales department. At this point, I've only interviewed with men (zendesk, where is your diversity?). It took me 3 emails to the recruiter to get this final interview setup. I was asked 4 questions in the interview and then said he was done. I then took the opportunity to ask him several questions in return. At the end, he told me someone would be in touch within 2-3 days.

Fast forward two weeks and no response. Zendesk had ghosted on me, in typical Silicon Valley fashion. I decided to reach out to the initial recruiter and received an "oh! Sorry! I forgot to tell you! We decided to hire someone else but everyone loved you and we'll interview you for a similar role when it opens up!" Wow. Seriously? You waste my time, drag this out, I'm given a verbal offer in the interview and then you ghost on me? What on earth makes you think I would interview again given this experience?