iTrellis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

iTrellis Interview Questions

Updated Oct 31, 2017

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I met with a recruiter for coffee and was sent a coding project to complete. There were a few different options for the project. A few days later, I was sent an automated email telling me they would not be continuing the interview process with me. No feedback was given.

Interview Questions

• Build an app that will take a few students and the expenses they paid on a trip and calculate how much each student owes the other students so that each student pays an equal amount.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iTrellis (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

First starts with a standard phone interview and then proceeds with a test code project. The coding project is very vague and they basically tell you to make an amazing application any way you want. They claim to be framework and language agnostic, but that is completely false. As well, they tell you nothing of what they are looking for and it almost appears as if they are trying to trick you with expectations. I spent a lot of effort working on a project trying to display a wide array of my skills in the .NET language. Instead of being a respectable company who can understand the effort to write a sample project would take a person, they just gave me a rejection with a fake answer, saying you are great but we are not interested in your skill set at this time. I sent an email back saying why even bother with the fake answer? It was a horrible waste of my time and effort. At least your engineers could have had the guts to have directly told me what they didn't like about my code (most likely the lack of fancy new frameworks) and help give me the opportunity to improve or maybe find another way to meet their expectations in the future. However, they basically make you bust your backside and then if they are not interested give you the generic NO THANKS. I am actually happy I didn't get the job at this company and any company that screws the developer community like this with this type of etiquette will find itself sooner or later lacking respectable programmers. And, to be honest, a 2 to 10 hour project of make an amazing application proves almost nothing with how a developer, who usually needs to be given specific instructions of what to develop and what tools to develop with, rather than be told use whatever you like. What annoys me most about this company is how they deceive you and their Hollywood theme, "Thanks for joining us on our adventure and good luck". We, in the developer community don't need some stupid movie theme , we just want straight specifications and straight answers. I advise people to not waste their time with sample application of this company and I do see more strengths of companies who whiteboard , test you and look at your past projects rather than judging your entire skills on some stupid test project that really is too vague and small to display your true skills as a developer and problem solver. The way the company treats candidates, making them bust their backs to prove themselves and just laughing them off makes me think the ethics of this company is very low and gives me some insight of how important they view their developers. At least other companies can be straight and tell you why you do not qualify or what is lacking rather than play silly games. The worst part of all this was how they made me wait a month just to tell me no thanks without any reasoning. Basically, it was just a "NO THANKS, GET LOST".

Interview Questions

• Asked standard interview questions about salary expectations, experience, strengths, weaknesses.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at iTrellis (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was working under the shadow of a monolithic giant, where I probably could have spent my entire career. However, work there had become stagnant and my value had become underappreciated. I then, as you are now, began my search for other potential avenues for development shops.

iTrellis sounded like an incredible place to work after not only reading several positive testimonials, but also meeting and talking with people who currently work for the company. It went without saying to send my resume iTrellis' way after hearing the great things about the company and its management / ownership. Soon after I had an email from their recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was filled with pretty standard questions: "Why iTrellis?", "Why are you wanting to leave your current job?", "Strengths?", "Weaknesses?," "Salary expectation?", etc. The recruiter didn't make the interview seem so "standard", though. She was funny and witty; and, she actually made it personal. She spoke of her personal life and how it began her career in recruitment, how she began at iTrellis, and how much she loved working there. By this point I was starting to get really excited, as I hadn't felt much "love", for what was my current dev shop, in awhile. The interview ended with her asking me if I would like to continue on to Phase II of the process: Code Project. Of course I said yes and she informed me that she would have the details to my email box promptly.

I am not going to dive too far into it, but essentially I received a congratulatory email of sorts saying that I have made it the second part of the interview process. Attached to this email were three choices for a project, each seemingly more difficult then the last, along with specific completion instructions and a time constraint. I completed my project and submitted via the instructions. I quickly received an email from the recruiter stating that my project will be reviewed over the next week or so and to patiently wait a response. She also mentioned not to hesitate to ask any questions about the process, should any arise. I waited.

A week passed and I was beginning to feel anxious. I sent an email to the recruiter in an attempt to fish for some sort information. She let me know my project was still being reviewed and that I would hear from her soon.

Sure enough, after a few more days I had received an email from her. However, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. In her attempt to be as transparent as possible, she informed me that the position I was applying for was no longer available for unforeseen reasons. This left me feeling pretty beaten, but she reiterated that iTrellis would love to have me and that she would be in touch for when the position would be available again.

She was true to her word. She actually sent me weekly updates on the status of the position and I could tell that iTrellis genuinely thought I was a great candidate and wanted to work with me to keep me still interested.

After a few weeks of updates I had finally received the email I was hoping for. The email that asked if I was still interested in moving on to Phase III of the interview process: Code Review. I said yes and then immediately went to refresh my memory on my project as it had been around a month to a month and a half since I wrote it. The interview was at the iTrellis office in downtown Seattle. It was a three stage 1:1 interview process where each 1:1 took around 45 minutes to an hour. It was a little intimidating, but nothing too scary. Each interviewer took a different approach at my project and it was actually really cool to sit down and hear their opinions and to defend my work. I could tell that they took the process seriously and had already thoroughly reviewed my work.

Not more than a week passed before I received an official offer.

I am extremely happy that I stuck through the process, as iTrellis has been nothing but exceptional so far.

Interview Questions

• Three step interview (in detail above)

1) Phone Interview
      2) Code Project
      3) Code Review   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iTrellis.

Interview

I applied for a position to which based on the job description I checked ~90% of the requirements. Additionally I have vast experience beyond that. I then got an email from their recruiter with a standard "no thank you, you don't meet our requirements". I replied to that email thanking her, indicating that based on the JD I felt I was a match, and suggested to reach out to me should something be available that matches my background.

I then got a rather insulting and very long response from the recruiter slamming me that I am argumentative, that I have no experience, and that I have been nothing but confrontational. Upon reading it was clear that the email was meant for someone else. I responded to that email suggesting that this email was hopefully not meant for me....

The recruiter then responded to this email first apologizing that she got the thread mixed up and then she went on writing a different yet equally insulting and long email to me, including but not limited to:
    - There shouldn’t be so much drama attached to job searching....
    - Man we felt like 'this is some introduction to you' and there is no limit on tact and how to cordially and respectfully deal with others....

This response as was the previous one was at least half a page long with several paragraphs just slamming me (well or the other person it was meant to in the first response). Never seen anything quite like it. This must be the worst place or they just have a very bad apple in their recruiting team....

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iTrellis (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

They have a three-tiered interview process.
    Phase 1 starts with a personality phone interview from their recruiter (who is very personable, knowledgeable, and makes you feel at ease)
    Phase 2 then goes into a pretty challenging code project that you complete on your own time from a list of 3 available sets of requirements
    Phase 3 is the challenging phase where you come into the office for a 3 phase interview, where you defend your code project, then add a new feature on the fly, and then modify your code project to work a little differently than you designed it.

Interview Questions

• Defend your code, add a feature on the fly, change the way your code is implemented.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations came in the form of an offer letter, and so far as I could tell, everything in it is negotiable. They are very flexible and open to potential employee needs.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iTrellis (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I did a casual phone interview with a recruiter. Once that was completed, I was given an few options for a small <10hr take-home project. When the project was completed I submitted it. A few days I was invited into the office for the last part of the interview process where you explain your work and demonstrate some of your skills.

The interview was very low pressure with no whiteboarding in front of 5 people. You can tell that the company takes the interview process seriously and want to make sure that the candidate knows what to expect. And they even gave me money for parking!

Interview Questions

• Create a simple web application that can be used for calculating some semi-complex scenario. Please turn it into us sometimes in the next week or so.   Answer Question