Altium Limited Reviews | Glassdoor

Aram Mirkazemi

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great knowledge and experience working with Altium. It helps you sell the product when you know it's the best software out there. You aren't just hustling people you are introducing them to something they may have never heard of. I am able to eat healthy food here and stick with my strict diet.

Cons

Pay is average or less. Upper management keeps hiring new employees while the ones who have been with the company for 1+ year have not seen an increase in salary even though "shares of the printed circuit board (PCB) design software company are up 173 per cent over the past two years."

Advice to Management

Keep your hard working lower employees happy because I don't know if you don't notice them, but the company is full of hard workers and people deserve to be paid what they are worth.

"Don't care about talent"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Altium Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family feel, people like hanging out with each other, at lunch or company gatherings. Nice office space, HR implementing cool wellness programs, good product, industry landscape is changing to the benefit of Altium.

Cons

The place is run by a group of old-timers/Mentor Graphics buddies/relatives, who have spent their entire careers there, rotating each other through all possible roles from sales to support to marketing. People with solid backgrounds and experience are not
    trusted. Trial and error re-orgs happen almost every quarter. Seen tons of really good people go, either leaving on their own because work is no challenge, or easily removed for whatever reason. No vision on product roadmap or what to do with the smaller divisions.

Advice to Management

Use talented people for what you hired them for
    Invest in the new people and support them

3. "People are assets not cogs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Altium Limited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Fun coworkers

Cons

Management doesn't lead. Scare tactics and intimidation are how they get what they want, not vision or leadership. Russian language skills required for success.

Advice to Management

Respect people half as much as you do your dividends and your dividends would be even higher.

"It's okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - comped lunch, health benefits are good, good salary, work from home options, flexible hours. Company tries to offer good things for employees.

Cons

Communication from management sucks and frequently makes work frustrating. IT department is not competent - embarrassing for a software company. Certain people are cliquey - not always welcoming to new people. Not a lot of room for growth. People who do get promoted from within tend to disappear shortly after.

Advice to Management

Set clearer goals, communicate better

"Director Of Digital Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Digital Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Digital Marketing in San Diego, CA

Pros

- Altium truly is a company where 'you get what you put in'. If you want a good work life balance you can do and still be successful in the company over time, however if you want to put in a lot of extra hours you'll be recognized more quickly, your hard work wont go noticed.

- Reasonable compensations and benefits, including free lunch which is always nice!

- Easy to move around to other teams if you want to.

- Altium has a great startup vibe to it even thought its an international public company, the speed at which we ship ideas is astounding, this creates and incredibly good atmosphere for leaning.

Cons

- Deadlines are short, and if your time management skills are not up to par you will struggle.

- The pressure can be intense, but no more so than any other company.

Advice to Management

Maintain the startup vibe at all costs and above all ensure that the approach of quickly adapting to the ever changing market situations is always present, this is Altiums' major advantage over its competitors.

7. "Overall a good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    free lunch and snacks
    good work environment
    make your own schedule, within reason. you manage your own time.

Cons

not too sure about cons. sometimes theres a lot to do and it can be stressful especially around due dates but its a job and thats what a job is. sometimes its busy other times its not.

Advice to Management

organize yourselves better

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent marketing team
    - Positive work environment
    - Great place to learn new skills
    - Good benefits & compensations, along with free lunch

Cons

You can end up with a lot on your plate, if you can't manage time well

"Altium - Think twice before you commit"

Former Employee - Technical in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical in San Diego, CA

I worked at Altium Limited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could be a really great Company to work for if the replaced the management team. Good software development team.
    Good technical document team. Pay fair

Cons

You need to speak Russian and think like one. The COO should retire and the CEO should think about PCB Layout tools and not tractors. Don't put your future in managements hands they may just chop off your head. If they don't agree with your suggestions.

Advice to Management

Team are built using people and respect is earned. Good technical staff are hard to find and harder to understand. They normally know the product better than management and they talk to the customers. So they have a better idea where the tools should go.

"Great Company Good Culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Altium Limited (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company in a very exciting market space. Management at every level seem to care and always have an open door policy. Yes, they do have free lunch every day and the culture within the company is very positive. Anyone who shows determination and a positive attitude seem to be extended opportunities regardless of career background. As long as you keep an open mind, ask for help and do your job you will succeed here.

Cons

There has been some turnover but from what I have seen it was often people not willing to ask for help or follow procedures. Others just found different opportunities that were a better fit for them. The money is OK but could always be better.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive movement going. Keep Moral high.

"Vice President of Sales"

Current Employee - Vice President of Sales in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Sales in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Altium is a fast paced results oriented environment and for me that is a major “pro”. I love the ability to be recognized for voicing ideas and accolades on delivering results. This allows for accelerated advancement and opportunity that in other companies you might take years to advance or just get lost in the shuffle. There is allot of freedom to do your job, take on projects outside of your "traditional" role and wear many hats.

I like to say "we are a 30-year start-up" with 30 years of developed code. We are quick, nimble, and can make business decisions without much red tape. For some, this is a challenging environment but for those who are up to the task it is very rewarding.

I thrive working in, at times seems like "chaos" but for those who are like minded they will really fit into the Altium culture. This is certainly a place for do-er's. Those who can take the reigns and just do are the ones who are successful here. We are lucky to work in an environment where taking initiative and risks is rewarded, and we encourage those who are passionate about a project to stand up and take ownership of it. Standing up, voicing your opinion, and putting your name in the hat to own something has just as much value here as the outcome does.

As a salesperson, what I sell is as important as the company that makes it. We have the best technology out there and I feel that we are the only ones in our industry that is truly focused on PCB software. Our goal is to be the #1 PCB company in the world.

Our double-digit growth over the past few years has opened many opportunities for our employees, as we continue our climb to #1 PCB company there will be many other opportunities for those to be promoted, move vertically, horizontally or even diagonally!

I have read reviews about changing direction and so on but that has never stopped the goal of being #1PCB company. It is never a straight line path to achieve any goal and those who see change as opportunity and who can improvise, adapt, and overcome, well frankly those are people who we want here and are still here.

Cons

The grass is not always greener on the other side as they say and we, like every other company have things we can work on such as: administrative items where we just haven’t caught up on and we certainly need to tighten up. The best thing to know - is that everyone bottom to top knows what are our challenges and are committed to fixing them.

Altium is in growth mode and growth mode brings those growing pains, but who doesn't want to work in a company that is growing in double digits while the rest of the PCB industry is in single –digits or not at all. While decisions we have made don't always work out and unfortunately that does affect some people. However, I have seen in my 12+ years those who are an Altium fit (attitude, personality, skills set, and drive) during change there is always a, effort, desire and commitment to keep good people and find opportunities elsewhere in the company if they exist.

Advice to Management

Being in a go-go-go transactional selling mode all the time, management (myself included) could do a better at communicating and reinforcing the big picture more often than we do. Because we are quick and nimble sometimes we might change course a little too quick and maybe we do need to stick to it a little bit longer. Continue to remain open to all opinions and feedback from the team.