BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance was emphasized and there was plenty of opportunities to meet people (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people & culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much support of work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• During busy season the long hours are exhausting (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mix of industries, but ability to niche. Great partner group with knowledgeable upper management. Mandatory partner retirement is 62 so there is a lot of opportunity to advance quickly for motivated people.

Benefits are good - paid parental leave has recently been instated.

Some partners are really great at motivating and leading their teams, others need to be helped a little to remember to motivate and lead. I think these are just personality differences and everyone brings something unique to the table.

Cons

There are some morale issues that the office is working through, but the senior leadership is engaged and motivated to improve the culture (which isn't all bad to begin with).

Yes, hours are long sometimes. Yes, time demands can be stressful and hours are tracked... But this is a public accounting firm so an experienced hire or recruit would know to expect these things. This is not a 40 hour work week type of industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to the younger staff. They have some great ideas.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Lead

All very true! Thank you for sharing your insightful feedback. BKD is always assessing itself to identify areas of growth to better support team members.

2. "Great team of people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time

Pros

Welcoming and caring team environment

Cons

Lots of work and can be a bit less organized than ideal

Advice to Management

Hire more people at every level

Jan 8, 2018 – Social Media Lead

We appreciate your feedback! Our San Antonio team is certainly very caring. We'll pass along your suggestion to build the team.

3. "Senior Tax Associate"

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Benefits and assistance for CPA exam

Cons

Workload is not distributed well

"Proposal Specialist"

Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BKD has great benefits and time off for the holidays. They communicate very well and thoroughly train their employees.

Cons

I don't doubt that there are good opportunities at BKD; however, if you are seeking a position as a proposal specialist, save yourself some trouble and just don't do it. Leaders on the team use fear as a primary tool to motivate their employees. They are condescending, micro-managing and expect you to treat accounts like they are gods and you are their pathetic servants. You will realize very quickly you've made a mistake by the recently evacuated cubicles that are bound to be present in your first walk-through of the department. The turnover is ridiculous and management refuses to acknowledge it. I was one of three who gave their two weeks notice the same week I quit.

Advice to Management

The structure of this team DOES NOT WORK. I'd think they'd realize that by the monstrous turnover they have.

"Proposal Specialist - Run Forrest Run!"

Former Employee - Proposal Specialist in Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time off during Christmas and New Years holidays, free coffee and tea, nice offices to work in.

Cons

Micro-managing management to the ninth-degree, unrealistic expectations of employees, attitude of allowing partner offices to continually break or ignore established timelines, assessing work on a completely subjective level. Training is completely self paced with webinars and books. Training focuses little on the job itself.

Advice to Management

Management is continually worried about legal review in the proposal documents. Best advice is to hire attorneys to write the proposals. Short of that, invest in higher salaries to attract talent from across the country that is experienced in writing proposals. Enforce the rules concerning proposals with field offices. Review training materials and make training more relevant.

Jan 16, 2018 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for the honest feedback. Legal considerations are always essential for a national accounting firm. The proposal specialist role is a demanding job not for everyone, and we try to be very... More

6. "Loan Review"

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Resecptful to employees and good benefits

Cons

Travel is something that comes with the job

7. "Senior Associate"

Pros

Great benefits, great people & culture

Cons

Long hours can get difficult during busy season, but team culture helps boost moral

Dec 11, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We're not High School Musical, but we are all in this together! Thanks for highlighting our team culture!

8. "Tax internship"

Pros

Fast paced and a variety of work. My coworkers were very helpful. one of the tax partners was great to work with.

Cons

one of the tax partners is NOT great to work with

"Great people but not very progressive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with a work hard play hard attitude, investment in employee professional development, lots of growth opportunity for employees

Cons

National office holds back flexibility and other progressive employer practices, still a lot of old-school thinking. Springfield, MO influences too much about how they do things. Many decisions still made based on partner income instead of what could make it a great place to work for non-partners.

Nov 13, 2017 – Social Media Lead

BKD should be a great place for all team members. Thanks for your feedback. We'll use it to make BKD better.

10. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BKD has a long term outlook and plans ahead. They are stable, and have a good ethics environment. They work hard to provide real value to their customers.

Cons

There is not much support of work life balance. There is a career path if you are an accountant but not if you are some other type of professional.

Advice to Management

Stick to your story. Don't talk about work life balance but then judge peoples work based on number of hours rather than the amount of work being done.