BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

BKD Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2020

4.3
BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours; Will be expected to come in on weekends during busy season(in 39 reviews)

• "Work a lot of hours - but only during busy season(in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast Growing, Innovative, Listens to Employees"

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

To name a few, the wide variety of clients and the ability to take on responsibilities early on, consistent access/mentorship by the leadership team, a clearly-defined but customizable career path and great training/ support. Even though it's public accounting, I don't feel like I have to choose between my family and my job - I can flex my time and the leadership team trusts me to prioritize. I've seen a lot of positive changes in my 10 years at BKD from when I started, most of which have come from employee engagements surveys/ ideas from internal employees. No mandatory rotations means I can keep my family in one place, but we're big enough (and continuing to grow) that I could move if I wanted to. The ability to choose my specialization rather than be told where the firm needs me has been and always will be a selling point for me. For accountants, we're creative and strategic in how we innovate and I'm glad to be a part of it. BKD also really helped me to develop as a professional supporting my efforts in the community/ on local boards, etc. Non-discretionary Profit Share is 5% annually - better than a 401k match to me.

Cons

Standard cons with a pubic accounting firm - longer hours ahead of peak deadlines and an every-changing knowledge base in the industry can be stressful to keep on top of. While compensation adjustments seem to be in line with market standards overall, I'd like to see a performance-based bonus for certain milestones.

Advice to Management

Do a good job at this already, but continue to be transparent about changes - internal or external.

BKD2019-06-10
  2. "Great firm in Public Accounting!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate II

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible hours. - Ability to work on multiple clients and industries, with the capability to focus on certain industries as you move up. - Direct communication with the partner group even as a lower level employee - Great working group of people!

Cons

- Long hours during certain times of the year, which is common in public accounting - Possibility for significant travel, depending on the industry focus chosen

BKD2020-01-13
  3. "Best Accounting Firm in Houston"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been in the Houston office for more than 5 years and feel like Leadership really cares about the employees, our opinions and our career goals. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in the industry of your choice and you have direct contact with CEOs and CFOs of companies instead of just sitting in the office behind a computer. The audit teams especially work as a team and everyone helps each other out when needed.

Cons

We all know that times of the year public accounting is a lot of hours. The thing that makes it tolerable is when you like the team you are working with and everyone helps each other out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There are times when we experience turnover in our industry for a variety of reasons but for those who want to be in public accounting there is no better place to be!

BKD2020-01-11
  4. "Growing firm in the right direction!"

Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management surveys their employees yearly and actually takes the feedback to make improvements firm-wide. The firm is growing incredibly fast and making changes to keep up with the competition; Including ways to continue to enhance the culture in each office. In the Houston office, there are numerous events and activities hosted to encourage employees to interact with each other and have fun outside of the normal day-to-day. There is a true open door policy here and most Partners make themselves available to the staff; they also make it a point to show up and participate in social activities which says a lot about leadership in this office.

Cons

Turnover can be harmful to moral at times during different seasons, but such as life at a public accounting firm. Understand the nature of the work you are going into prior to committing.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to all employees and make changes as the firm grows.

BKD2020-01-23
  5. "Great Resources"

Current Employee - Consulting Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company allows for wide resources and great learning opportunities.

Cons

Hours during busy season can be unbearable - welcome to Public Accounting

BKD2020-01-12
  6. "Okay for now"

Current Employee - Staff in Waco, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time for less than a year

Pros

BKD in Waco is nice due to reasonable hours and decent commute to work in a small town.

Cons

Management has no plan for the future. No training is provided to staff and they do not look out for the future of the staff's careers. Everyone is treated like children.

BKD2020-01-10
  7. "Awful training, Work/Life Balance, and Poor Management"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get promoted in a expected and linear way if you want to go far. There's also a decent amount of company events, even if they're mostly centered around alcoholic beverages.

Cons

While it's to be expected there's a severe lack of work/life balance, it's still worth noting. In addition, there is little to no training, so you're always feeling like it's your first day on the job. In addition, there are many managers that shouldn't be in their current role.

BKD2019-12-12
  8. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at BKD part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid well and great hiring odds for interns

Cons

Nothing bad to say at all

BKD2019-11-24
  9. "Excellent Company overall"

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at BKD full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Dedication to community service and donating to nonprofits - Comfortable working environment - Organized - Clear communication overall - Great admin team

Cons

- Commute downtown - Does not pay for parking; instead pays for a light rail pass

BKD2019-11-11
  10. "Unmatched Accounting Firm"

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at BKD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BKD is a firm that values its people and work with each employee on their individual career needs. While the pressures of public accounting will always be present, BKD is committed to growing its people and working with employees on work arrangements to best suit their needs. It's a great company to grow your career with. I'm in the process of transferring to another BKD office to help grow the firm as I believe in the firm and its "integrity first" mentality. The firm has made an investment in its people and its technology to stay ahead of the curve.

Cons

It is public accounting. There will be a lot of hours to work and client deadlines to meet.

Advice to Management

Continue revising benefits to the current work culture. Continue thinking through how technology can enhance the work experience. The workforce coming out of college aren't buying into the traditional ways of working and place a high value on office / firm culture. The firm needs to continue its evolution in providing competitive salary and benefits and culture & values.

BKD2019-11-11