Baton Rouge General Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at the BRG since 1999 has been the best experience! We have a great patient care team consisting of RNs, PCAs, POTs, & Unit Clerks that truly care about providing excellent patient care.
    We are blessed with a CNO that not only cares about the safety and well-being of all the patients, but she truly cares about the patient care team that is in charge of the safety and well-being of all the patients. Our CNO consistently rounds on patient care units. She takes the time to speak to staff & gets to know them by name. Night rounding included. She is a great listener and takes all suggestions seriously. BRG is and will always be my extended family.

Cons

All places have cons. What comes to mind for me, no parking garage at BB location. I was spoiled at MC for a very long time! Hopefully, the future will bring a parking garage.

Jun 15, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your dedicated service to BRG and our patients. We appreciate the kind words you have shared regarding your experience with Leadership. We are open to your suggestion on the parking ... More

2. "Care Coordinator, LMSW"

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New hire. Positive experience so far. Everyone appears genuinely happy and helpful. Looking forward to the future.

Cons

Used to a parking garage. Hoping that's in the works for BB location

3. "Great learning environment"

Current Employee - Physical Therapy Technician
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy Technician

I have been working at Baton Rouge General part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-PTs treat you as a peer
    -Job is very rewarding
    -Never a boring day
    -Positive environment
    -Good start to a prospective PT's career

Cons

-Not the best pay
    -Minimal down time

5. "Great Company / questionable Management"

Current Employee - Cook in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Cook in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time

Pros

The benefits are exceptional and being that it is in the medical field it is very stable. If you desire to work, the hours are definitely there to get.

Cons

All holidays and weekends are mandatory work days because it's a hospital. there is no place for advancement in departments that are contracted out to other companies to be managed.

Advice to Management

Management in the department I work are non empathetic and not organized at all, no communication at all.

6. "Registered Nurse L&D"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Labor and Delivery in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Labor and Delivery in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and administration. Nobody is perfect and communication can be frustrating but it's a welcoming environment and the staff quickly becomes family.

Cons

Communication and administration focus can cause frustration but what hospital doesn't have this issue?

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working at br general. Everyone is a pleasure to work with and the hospital has a lot of opportunities for advancing your education.

Cons

I haven't noticed any downsides really besides the fact that we tend to be a little short handed at times, but nursing as a profession is a shortage in the country right now.

8. "ok, but management too focused on bottom line at times"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

generally good coworkers and good quality care

Cons

management can push productivity and devalue quality or skills of therapists in comparison

Advice to Management

show more appreciation for experience, compassion, and skills of therapists or other staff, rather than just who works fastest or bottom line

9. "Looking...."

Pros

Nice co-workers, not much else positive to say. We have each other's backs when it's crazy, which is all the time.

Cons

Low pay, but goes with the territory in this city. High acuity patients, unrealistic nurse to patient ratio, feel like my license is on the line all the time.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced nurses, pay your staff their worth, decrease patient load, hire more competent ancillary staff.

Dec 1, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the honest review. We are consistently making efforts to improve our employee satisfaction. Please know that HR has an open door policy and we encourage you to stop by or call with any ... More

10. "Never ignore red flags"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people with big hearts that visited the hospital.
    Employee health benefits free gym
    Cafe
    Mid city location family feel

Cons

I was brought into a department where both of my manager subordinates resigned in the same month red flag I ignored.

Upon accepting my offer I was told that a second person would be joining my area at the same time as me. Managed 400 plus people high turn over. On my first day of work I was told that there was a hiring freeze and that I now would be handling the work load of two employees but this would be temporary. At this point I had signed my agreement and had no choice in the situation but to wait it out.I later found out that the employee that was supposed to start with me was the employee hired in my 9th month and that she had been informed by my manager that she would not be hired prior to my initial start date. My manager and hr with held this information from me it was a very shady situation.

During this time I had little to no training on how to do my job. I was overwhelmed by the amount of work I was expected to do. I also was told that 20 percent of my time would be spent assisting in a critical area of the hospital. Another lie, I spent over 50 percent of my first 6 months covering this area (4am-5pm) my normal working hours were suppose to be 8:30 am-5:00 pm I rarely worked that schedule. I worked this position made for two employees for 9 months. I was ranked highly effective and received a yearly bonus. During my 9 month my manager was cleared to hire another team member and my manager received a promotion.
    at this time my managers attitude completely changed. My manager became rude and very condescending attempted to use threatening tones and body language to intimidate me regularly. No less than one month of being ranked highly effective my manger called a meeting with me and told me my next quarter would be less effective. My manager then began sending unnecessary text messages and calls to my personal line during non working hours. One time my manager called my phone at 3 in the morning to ask me to report to work shortly there after. I obliged and reported to work. At this point I asked my manager to stop contacting me on my personal phone via text and calls as I felt violated. My manager then became very unprofessional and began to pick at my every move. I was gifted a half day by my managers superior and emailed my manager the day I planned to use this half day. My manager then pretended she never got my email and called my personal line and yelled at me as though I was a child. (I was told "I can't watch everything you wear and do in a very nasty tone.) The following day I reported this phone conversation to my managers superior. My manager's superior then scheduled a meeting with my manager and I, where she asked me to sign the less effective paper work that she had been planning to give me at the very beginning of the quarter. Nothing was ever done to my manager for her unprofessional behavior in fact she was allowed to put me on a disciplinary plan. Upon completion of this plan I was again ranked highly effective and it was work as usual. No less than a month later my manager went on a hunt to find people who would report that i was an ineffective worker. I was then sat down with HR professional and my manager to discuss a 30 day plan of action. This is the day I resigned. There was nothing that I could have done to prevent being fired as the odds were stacked against me from the very beginning. I regret not walking away when I found out the terms of my agreement to take this job had changed.

Advice to Management

Conduct 360 degree review on managers and staff allow staff to tell management anonymously what they could improve on along with being able to give management their thoughts on their peers performance.

Dec 1, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. BRGMC is consistently striving to improve our employee experiences. Please feel free to call Human Resources directly at 237-1573 for further ... More

11. "Health Information Management / Medical Records Clerk"

Former Employee - Health Information Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Health Information Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work , I work there 31 years. Had nice department heads ,nice coworkers, over time if you want.

Cons

Not enough time for lunch break.

Advice to Management

Need to have gone to school for management .

Dec 1, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your time and dedication to our organization. 31 years is amazing! We appreciate your review.