Dematic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Baysore

Pros
  • Lots of great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good Benefits and the company is interested in helping the employees get training (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Management stressed work/life balance was great when it was not (in 5 reviews)

• Travel and work long hours when you do travel (in 8 reviews)

"Great company, people, opportunities"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work with smart and engaged colleagues means you're always learning.
    Fast pace keeps things fresh.
    Leaders are experienced, intelligent, and good people you want to follow.

Cons

The speed can be a little too fast sometimes, which makes it hard to have time to think vs. react.
    Training and development for people moving into leadership roles needs more focus.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job keeping the business moving. Spend a little more time and energy developing employees to help everyone grow.

"Cannot recommend"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty relaxed dress code. Interesting people to work with. Flexible office hours. Good if you want to travel (a LOT).

Cons

Said they cared about work-life balance. In fact, they could not care less. They treated you as a commodity. You were sent on-site on some poorly planned project without much notice, for weeks, working pretty much around the clock. Never got even a "thank you" :-(, when you came back into the office. The customer contract required you to stay in crummy hotels/motels, and the meal allowance only allowed you to eat junk food for weeks. So bad for your health.

Things were going to get good when Reddwerks was acquired by Dematic. It did not turn out that way. One example was a promised 401(k) matching that never materialized. Cheating you on thousands of dollars.

So glad I got out of there. Not hard to find better in Austin. Got a 35% pay raise, do not have to travel, and now have a manager that respects my time now. And a 401(k) match!

No professional training at all. Except for some stupid mandatory courses on how to wear hard hats and steel toed boats! LOL! :-( That's when you realized you are in the wrong place with your MS.

Advice to Management

Start to take care of your people!

"Got out of Reddwerks in time!"

Former Employee - S/W Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - S/W Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked most of the people I worked with in Austin. There were some exceptions, but it was a smart bunch of people.

Cons

Projects were poorly managed. Usually the requirements were vague and not well defined. Go-lives could go on for weeks, with up to 10 people coding on the fly on-site. It was all very stressful, and most left in a year or soo. It got even more worse after they got bought up. Then they actually had to make a profit and everyone was panicking. They also stopped sponsoring Green Cards, which was a non-starter for me.

Advice to Management

Offer some trainging and development. Otherwise people will leave and you will lose valuable skills,

"Very happy"

Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working for Dematic. It's a strong company, that was just purchased by a large much larger corporation for it's large customer base and good performance. The benefits are fair, salaries competitive, positive working atmosphere, your work is appreciated, and management is interested in employee satisfaction and retention. Also Ulf Henriksson is no longer with Dematic.

Cons

Some uncertainty exists about what the new parent company will do with Dematic at the department level in terms of consolidation. The problematic move of manufacturing to Mexico remains a strain on the entire company and customers are concerned.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a good place to work and the talent will stay.

"Austin office is shrinking fast"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some smart people there. Unfortunately the best ones left very quickly due to the very unstructured environment.

Cons

I liked my peers at Reddwerks, but I had to leave as the environment was total chaos. You basically sat doing nothing for months, and then you were suddenly sent on-site for weeks, working non-stop, around the clock fixing bugs. All projects I worked on were a total mess. Training was non-existent. People were fired left and right. You never knew why, but I guess it was due to poor profitability. Information was very much kept under wraps. I heard thing got even worse in 2017, so I am glad I got out of there,

Advice to Management

Replace the management team in Austin. They are basically clueless on how to run a business. I never saw the CEO on the floor talking to people during the 2 years I worked there. Not sure what he was doing.

7. "Another failing Austin startup (Reddwerks)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dematic (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reddwerks was bailed out by Dematic in 2015, at the brink of disaster, and saved the jobs for many.

Cons

As a software engineer you will not learn a lot at Reddwerks. There was no training or methodology, you were just thrown into random projects to patch old and undocumented code. There was not even a SW manager for months! I had high hopes that Dematic buying Reddwerks would change things, but the chaos remained, so I finally left. Things are changing so fast in this industry that you can not afford to work where there is no development potential.

Advice to Management

I did not see much of the management team, except for at company meetings every 3 months or so.

8. "Product engineer"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities in this company. The industry changing acquisition of Dematic by KION only solidifies that point.

Cons

Dematic does not seem to be improving their policy on employee compensation at the rate they plan to capture industry opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep working on it.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dematic (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with.
    Several opportunities to participate in initiatives.
    For the most part, management is filled with calm people.

Cons

Workload can get out of hand and last that way for a while.
    Some people advance when they should be disciplined.

Advice to Management

Be willing to accept out of the box thinking in regards to how people natural are.

10. "Control Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dematic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime, travel bonus, perks of travel, reasonably high pay straight out of college, and a "throw you in and see if you can swim" attitude towards the whole project process, sometimes there are some nice unofficial policies that you can work out with your manager

Cons

2 weeks starting vacation time. Often traveling on short notice. Flexibility is necessary to stand out and succeed at Dematic, so it's difficult to plan for personal weekend travel. Upward mobility happens quickly in the first year or two, then becomes more seniority-based. As a lot of your work happens on-site, it's difficult for managers to have a good grasp on what is happening on the team level.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Dematic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people on your own level to work with. Everyone is friendly and helps one another. Pay and Med/Dental Benefits are decent.

Cons

Looked like a great place to work. Management stressed work/life balance was great when it was not. They work you long hours. Director level management was highly unprofessional, conducting meetings intoxicated, hiding personal gain expense reports under subordinates and senior leader leadership at VP level looked the other way after being informed of problem. HR was informed and nothing was done. I had to resign it was so unethical and unprofessional. I do not recommend anyone seek employment at dematic. Stay away!!!

Advice to Management

When management makes mistakes they should be held accountable for their actions. Ethics policies are not just for the "worker bees" they are for management as well.