Design Within Reach Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Not only is the company both professional and efficient, but it also provided me with a comfortable and prestigious work environment" (in 10 reviews)

• "Owned by Herman Miller, so great financial backing" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Constant issues with customer service and shipping/delivery" (in 10 reviews)

• "The executive team is oblivious to the needs of their workers, which leads to the high turnover rate" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to get a foot in the door at commission sales"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, business dress preferred (not a deal breaker for me, I prefer it) and family unit atmosphere. Plenty to learn and grow with the company, depends what you want out of the job. Great benefits package, not your typical retail store environment.

Options to move up to Account Executive and further up in the company if desired. You get what you put into the job.

Cons

Steep learning curve, so sink or swim! Most mistakes can be fixed, just don't make it a habit. Lots of gray area aka rules with exceptions to be aware of, but nothing that can't be learned if you put the effort in it.

There can be low and high tides, be sure to know how to keep yourself busy and productive!

Advice to Management

None at this moment.

2. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company
    Great for gaining experience in the retail side of the furniture design industry
    Great network and connections

Cons

Long hours
    You have to be comfortable working weekends

3. "Rampant discrimination/harassment and bullying"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with some decent people

Cons

Overall, just a terrible organization. Some of the most conniving, racist management I have ever come across in my many years working professionally. As a white male, I was clearly treated better than others, which prompted me to leave the company as I wanted no part in that kind of bigoted behavior

Advice to Management

Discrimination in the workplace is illegal

Design Within Reach Response

Oct 29, 2018 – Talent Experience Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear your concerns regarding your time at DWR. The company has a zero tolerance policy for workplace harassment, bullying and discrimination. It is our... More

4. "Sales Assistant"

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

-Competitive pay
    -Home visits
    -Clients are excited to see the studio

Cons

-Some days are slow
    -Only creative side you can show is through 3d renderings

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has experienced some growing pains but overall DWR has hit a turning point and moving in the right direction. The CEO & President are super passionate about the company and inspire employees to drive the business to success. They always keep in touch with employees in the retail studios and create a very welcoming atmosphere in HQ.

Cons

Communication between departments and upper management could use some improvement. Open office environment can be distracting and unproductive at times.

6. "An Incredible Company on the Rise"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Design Within Reach makes every employee feel welcome, whether you are a temp or manager. Not only is the company both professional and efficient, but it also provided me with a comfortable and prestigious work environment. While I was there, my department was always there to answer any question I had and encouraged me to challenge myself in my work. I was constantly given new projects to work on that tested my controlled and automatic processing skills. As someone new to the workforce, I was very well exposed to expectations and the reality of working for a company on the rise. Design Within Reach taught me many skills that I am eager to utilize in other professional careers I may have in the future.

Cons

Traffic to and from work was annoying because the corporate building was in downtown Stamford, CT.

7. "Best Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    No Micro-management, allows employees to find their identity
    Management is helpful
    Great system in place for success.
    Products sell themselves, and lead-times are the best in industry.
    Company is always evolving.
    Great culture, if established in studio by management

Cons

If you aren't passionate, you won't succeed.
    This isn't a job to just coast.
    You get what you put into the job.

Advice to Management

Create a great culture and watch your employees succeed.
    Teamwork is key, no backstabbing.
    Also, contests are skewed. My studio competes with NYC and other larger studios for prizes.

8. "Fantastic Pleace To Work"

Current Employee - Proprietor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Proprietor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an entrepreneur and willing to put in the time and effort there is serious money to be made. Commission sales and design work focusing on getting the client what they want is not for everyone.

DWR is sales focused as much as it is design focused, which is why you can make so much money. Good base pay plus generous commission paid on sales that are delivered. You set your pace. If you want to make it happen there are hundreds of leads to follow, dozens of new clients coming in each week and you can sign up architects and interior designers.

DWR is always bringing out new designs by the world's best designers in addition to the large portfolio of design classics from Knoll, Cassina, Virta, Herman Miller, etc.

EXCELLENT - no less than EXCELLENT benefits. Medical, dental, vision and life insurance all with different levels of cost and coverage to choose from.

Cons

Its alot of work, a lot. This is not a job for those who like to scroll through Instagram and text their friends. You have to be 'on' and ready to work all day every day open to close if you expect to keep up the income. Like I said in the Por's section: If you are an entrepreneur and willing to put in the time and effort there is serious money to be made.... but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Bigger bonuses.

"It could be better but they don't help themselves here"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package, nice studios. They pay you on time. That's expected from a high end company, right?

Cons

Since you work for commission, they take a lot of advantage of that by making you work over 10 hours during first days of sales and coming to training sessions that happen either before or after work hours. Also, your colleagues can be very nasty to you... They have a quote policy, which means that whoever puts a quote in the system first gets the sale. It doesn't matter if the person who put the quote in the system simply took a phone call and you spent two hours with a client. That's pretty unfair. Also, most of the time they delay deliveries and you're forced to lie to clients to cover the fact the company is not doing what they should. The "leaders" always come up with "amazing" resolutions to help you sell like: You will look more professional if you stand (even though there are no clients to be helped) or you can't have a glass of water in your desk. Or, and that's my favorite, you have to convince the client that's the deal of a lifetime what you're offering and it's not happening again (when they have over 10 sales throughout the year).

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are not bullies and actually know how to help sales to happen. And no, I'm not providing any additional information on that. You know who you have working for you in leadership positions.

"HQ is a Cost Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

Great Product and great people...due to the size of the company there is an opportunity to wear many hats and make an impact.

Cons

- Quality talent acquisition and retention is an issue..turnover creates lags and many people are incapable of being efficient in their roles

- Each department is a silo, the lack of interaction with each department greatly impacts culture as well as performance when it comes to larger tasks

- Many of the key roles and departments lack the resources to be innovative/successful

- HQ is treated like a cost center and there is a lack of investment to enrich the culture or improve the environment..trendy design company yet HQ design is mundane. I can count the number of company events over the years on one hand.

- Work Life balance is nonexistent...in day to day, it is unspoken but necessary to produce..burnout is high and morale is low.

-Every year you hope things will change but they never do..the company is stuck in their ways and their success can only be attributed to have exclusivity and lack of competition in the market place.

Advice to Management

Don't have upper management participate in the Employee Auctions/Sales...Kind of infuriating when you get paid peanuts and have opportunity to buy in to the product to experience / enjoy and are getting out bid by C level who already have half the product because it seems to disappear