Design Within Reach Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
John Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Owned by Herman Miller, so great financial backing" (in 6 reviews)

• "product, industry access, beautiful stores" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Constant issues with customer service and shipping/delivery" (in 10 reviews)

• "The executive team is oblivious to the needs of their workers, which leads to the high turnover rate" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Pleace To Work"

Current Employee - Proprietor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Proprietor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an entrepreneur and willing to put in the time and effort there is serious money to be made. Commission sales and design work focusing on getting the client what they want is not for everyone.

DWR is sales focused as much as it is design focused, which is why you can make so much money. Good base pay plus generous commission paid on sales that are delivered. You set your pace. If you want to make it happen there are hundreds of leads to follow, dozens of new clients coming in each week and you can sign up architects and interior designers.

DWR is always bringing out new designs by the world's best designers in addition to the large portfolio of design classics from Knoll, Cassina, Virta, Herman Miller, etc.

EXCELLENT - no less than EXCELLENT benefits. Medical, dental, vision and life insurance all with different levels of cost and coverage to choose from.

Cons

Its alot of work, a lot. This is not a job for those who like to scroll through Instagram and text their friends. You have to be 'on' and ready to work all day every day open to close if you expect to keep up the income. Like I said in the Por's section: If you are an entrepreneur and willing to put in the time and effort there is serious money to be made.... but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Bigger bonuses.

2. "An Incredible Company on the Rise"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Design Within Reach makes every employee feel welcome, whether you are a temp or manager. Not only is the company both professional and efficient, but it also provided me with a comfortable and prestigious work environment. While I was there, my department was always there to answer any question I had and encouraged me to challenge myself in my work. I was constantly given new projects to work on that tested my controlled and automatic processing skills. As someone new to the workforce, I was very well exposed to expectations and the reality of working for a company on the rise. Design Within Reach taught me many skills that I am eager to utilize in other professional careers I may have in the future.

Cons

Traffic to and from work was annoying because the corporate building was in downtown Stamford, CT.

3. "Best Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    No Micro-management, allows employees to find their identity
    Management is helpful
    Great system in place for success.
    Products sell themselves, and lead-times are the best in industry.
    Company is always evolving.
    Great culture, if established in studio by management

Cons

If you aren't passionate, you won't succeed.
    This isn't a job to just coast.
    You get what you put into the job.

Advice to Management

Create a great culture and watch your employees succeed.
    Teamwork is key, no backstabbing.
    Also, contests are skewed. My studio competes with NYC and other larger studios for prizes.

4. "It could be better but they don't help themselves here"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package, nice studios. They pay you on time. That's expected from a high end company, right?

Cons

Since you work for commission, they take a lot of advantage of that by making you work over 10 hours during first days of sales and coming to training sessions that happen either before or after work hours. Also, your colleagues can be very nasty to you... They have a quote policy, which means that whoever puts a quote in the system first gets the sale. It doesn't matter if the person who put the quote in the system simply took a phone call and you spent two hours with a client. That's pretty unfair. Also, most of the time they delay deliveries and you're forced to lie to clients to cover the fact the company is not doing what they should. The "leaders" always come up with "amazing" resolutions to help you sell like: You will look more professional if you stand (even though there are no clients to be helped) or you can't have a glass of water in your desk. Or, and that's my favorite, you have to convince the client that's the deal of a lifetime what you're offering and it's not happening again (when they have over 10 sales throughout the year).

Advice to Management

Hire managers who are not bullies and actually know how to help sales to happen. And no, I'm not providing any additional information on that. You know who you have working for you in leadership positions.

5. "DWR"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President of Retail in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President of Retail in New York, NY

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Largest authentic modern retailer in the world. Family environment within a big company. Hands on leadership from CEO and executive team. Best Practices from sales teams become the standards for all vs. top down mindset.

Cons

Entrepreneurial and not all are suited to be self-starters with high expectations for results.

"Iffy"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, sick days , etc . and decent music to work too and working with the classics is wonderful .

Cons

The company has been changing so what was at first all about the product became all about the money. Narcissistic power tripping management which created a negative environment in the showroom. Not much growth

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if you want to keep your passionate people.

"IT is a Cost Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome products. Generally flexible hours. The IT workload is diverse - everyone wears many hats. Room to grow inside the company if you train yourself on your own time. Initial pay is good, though employees typically compete for raises afterwards.

Cons

IT is seen and managed as a cost center - understaffed, underfunded, and lacks basic tools. Always on call, even during vacation. Interns/Jrs asked to take on whole projects with little help. Every project is ASAP. Every task is urgent. Everyone is replaceable. Every project threatens future employment. Employees compete for raises. Impossible work/life balance. Employees with options have already left the company.

To see if things have changed, during the interview ask how many full-time admins you'll be working with. Hopefully the answer is 5+.

Advice to Management

The company needs to invest more in IT: salary, training, tools, and more people. There's barely enough time for the projects outside of IT that the only time left for IT-driven priorities (maintenance/upgrades) is when there's a serious threat of malware or an outage.

8. "Good company"

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

the culture and people are good

Cons

benefits are expensive, no 401k match

9. "New to the job"

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and employee culture. Lets you take ownership of you job without people micromanaging.

Cons

None so far aside from commute

"You might be happy in the start but you will leave."

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful pieces, nice hours, weekdays were slow and you could get your work done.

Cons

Negative management, homophobic work environment, overrun with salespeople not trained in furniture, not trained in customer service. Managers usually soulless and greedy with clients. Angry customers with strange problems with delivery and shipping. Pay is odd for the work involved.

Advice to Management

Wake up!