Design Within Reach Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2019

Found 170 reviews

2.8
John Edelman
Pros
  • "It’s a fun, welcoming work environment with a great team mind set(in 15 reviews)

• "My role at DWR gave me an amazing level of opportunity for professional growth and to learn directly from members of the leadership team(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons working at DWR(in 15 reviews)

• "Constant issues with customer service and shipping/delivery(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to get a foot in the door at commission sales"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, business dress preferred (not a deal breaker for me, I prefer it) and family unit atmosphere. Plenty to learn and grow with the company, depends what you want out of the job. Great benefits package, not your typical retail store environment. Options to move up to Account Executive and further up in the company if desired. You get what you put into the job.

Cons

Steep learning curve, so sink or swim! Most mistakes can be fixed, just don't make it a habit. Lots of gray area aka rules with exceptions to be aware of, but nothing that can't be learned if you put the effort in it. There can be low and high tides, be sure to know how to keep yourself busy and productive!

Advice to Management

None at this moment.

Design Within Reach2018-10-11

June 4, 2019Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this note! We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time here.

2. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

For someone just entering in to the interior design world or someone looking to grasp a deeper understand of the history of deisgn..Design Within Reach is the place to be! Working at the Paramus location was an amazing experience. For someone new to the design world, DWR offers all the tools you need to be successful . From training videos, classes (taught by the vendors themselves!) and guidance from leadership you’re...

Cons

promotional periods can be stale sometimes and are often back to back, not giving clients a time breath before you start reaching out again about another a sale.

Design Within Reach2019-06-21

July 3, 2019Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this note. The key to our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. We appreciate your input and look forward to hearing from you again!

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company and culture in the office! Great work life balance

Cons

The salary could be better

Design Within Reach2019-07-26

July 30, 2019Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this note. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time here.

"Treated Like a Child"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Potential to make decent money, but you always have to be ON.

Cons

The company does not respect or support their sales representatives.

Design Within Reach2019-08-08

"Avoid drama and gossip"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Avoid drama and gossip, you’ll enjoy working there. Be it being a recent graduate within the design industry or wanting to have it as a summer job, you learn so much about designer furniture and its exciting to get to be in such high end showrooms (except what happens BTS). Sales Assistants do pretty much everything to help Sales Executives have smoother sales process which is rewarding

Cons

DWR could focus on improving its system and employers than only sales. The system can definitely be way more updated and up to date with the interiors industry. Its an investment in the employees and the company itself. Training Sales Assistants and Sales executives smarter software and presentation skills can improve sales. Working weekends. Again, avoid drama and gossip.

Design Within Reach2019-08-07
  6. "job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Calm work environment and ability to work from home

Cons

too much work but enough compensation

Design Within Reach2019-07-09
  7. "Same job as Sales Assistant but lower wage"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at Design Within Reach

Pros

The people were really nice.

Cons

Same job as Sales Assistant but lower wage

Design Within Reach2019-07-18

"Illusion - Better than being on the street? or am I headed there?"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Clean environment -Calm work spaces -Beautiful pieces

Cons

-Horrific pay (even when Draw is considered) (The first three months are forgiven) The structure is on when items ship and this is not a drop ship company usually lead times are anywhere between 2-12 weeks. The type of furniture that is sold here is clearly only profitable in metropolitan areas that serve upper middle to upper class clients as it serves a niche market. The staff has a horrific salary that will end me...

Advice to Management

-Educate and help people grow -Pay needs to be above market or even at market. (It's completely horrific)

Design Within Reach2019-07-10
  9. "Great Product / Lots of opportunity to make money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What a great opportunity to sell modern design. Retail without being retail hours and closed Sundays, thank you Bergen County! You get what you put in and the product really sells itself. Everyone worked as a team and helped each other unlike other commission jobs. Management was supportive and helped coach with any escalated problems and offered assistance to reach goals. Team atmosphere and great overall morale. Great...

Cons

Lots of product knowledge and sometimes would take days to get a response from corporate so that you can respond to your client regarding lead time delays or product availability. A lot of sale periods making it hard to sell without a promotion.

Design Within Reach2019-06-19

July 3, 2019Talent Acquisition Team

10. "Dream Management and Sales Position"

Current Employee - Proprietor

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent compensation including commission and bonuses. Great work environment. Supportive upper management. Beautiful product. Strong adherence to company standards and policy. Great communication from corporate.

Cons

Typical shipping and delivery issues. Some corporate departments slow to respond to inquiries. Marketing strategy ineffective or non-existent in some markets.

Design Within Reach2019-06-18