Emergent BioSolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Emergent BioSolutions President & CEO Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi
Daniel J. Abdun-Nabi

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are outstanding and there is a strategic plan in place that will grow the company (in 9 reviews)

• Good culture, good benefits, great experience builder (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance still needs work (in 15 reviews)

• which is likely why there aren't many women in senior management roles (in 12 reviews)

"criticize, criticize, criticize"

Current Employee - Low Level Management in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Low Level Management in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get tired of all the negative employees. Some employees seem to make it their mission in life to criticize management and the decisions they make. The industry we work in is very challenging, and as a longer term employee of the company I think people should be more appreciative of what we have and more satisfied with what we have accomplished. I also think certain members of senior leadership have always tried their best to drive good change and lead the company effectively. For example, the guy that runs all of manufacturing operations at the company is routinely engaging with employees and taking personal time to show people how great we can be if we just stay positive and, to use his words, “own our challenges and be the change we want to see in the company.” He’s not the only one either. He’s just the most outspoken in his efforts to lead.

Cons

we are busy and the work load can be stressful at times. I'm not sure why this surprises anyone as we fight to become a bigger and better company

Advice to Management

stay the course and hold employees accountable for their negativity. Quickly weed out and replace senior leaders who don't "role model" the right leadership behavior as they are undermining the overall effort

"Very Negative Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people who work here are very passionate and work hard to try and make a difference. Salaries and bonuses are generous.

Cons

Overall, the company doesn't seem to know what it wants to be--biotech, big pharma, defense, government contractor, commercial? Due to the confusion at the top, the employees don't know what the priorities are and there's a major culture of feeling unempowered at ever level. Decisions are never made at the appropriate levels. They're just escalated up and delayed indefinitely.

There's also a woman problem. Incompetent men are promoted; smart women are fired, pushed out, or "let go," and this is brought up and management does nothing about it. It's a boy's club and this can get really old.

The biggest issue is the constant negativity. Morale is terrible and I have no idea what HR is doing to address this, but it's contagious.

Advice to Management

Empower people at every level; decide what kind of company you want to be and COMMUNICATE THAT; take appropriate risks and direct your employees to do the same; encourage innovation and streamlining.

"Scientist"

Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Started to bring in flexitime. Provide free coffee to staff. Good benefits package. Allow 8 hours a year for volunteering. Some training courses are provided. They do have a rewards system.

Cons

Poor leadership and management. Lots of backtracking and lay-offs. Emergent tend to acquire companies all over the place, promise that they'll keep staff and are committed to the projects. Then change their mind and decide it was a bad business decision and they're not committed. Close the site and lay everyone off. Then repeat.
    They also like to punish whistle blowers.
    Don't support projects financially. Heavily reliant on sales of one product.

Advice to Management

Invest properly in developing new products.
    Try and make intelligent and timely strategic decisions.

"Worst place to work at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice group of people to work with. People are very hard working at this site.

Cons

All they care about is to get work out of you and no incentives. Unethical practices in terms of hiring, position level, pay grade, etc.Favoritism in terms of promoting people to managerial posts. Focus is always to get the maximum out of you, meet the deadlines and they will keep you at roles lower than you deserve so that they can pay you low. Forget about performance based bonus or hike or career advancement.

Advice to Management

Need a better management and people with more experience and education. HR need to be fair and ethical.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Vice President in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people just trying to make a difference.

Cons

This company talks a good talk on their core values, but DON'T BELIEVE IT! The company is run by one person who only has his best interests at heart. The CEO is seemingly too weak or too disinterested to care. CEO doesn't get true feedback from employees that actually know what is going on...The information her receives is monitored, controlled and manipulated. Senior leadership, mostly white males, is inept. There is only one worth his salt, but he only speaks up when absolutely necessary to avoid having his head handed to him. This company has no strategy and no direction. They fumble from poor decision to poor decision, and the only people that get hurt are shareholders and employees. Leadership is never held accountable for their terrible decisions. They just keep shuffling the org chart to hide the incompetence. Please stay away!

Advice to Management

The Board should step up and hold senior leadership accountable. They should ask tough questions, demand a strategy and a detailed plan to execute that strategy and implement milestones and performance indicators that measure success. The CEO should take charge of the company that was handed to him, trust his instincts, and make the tough decisions necessary to turn things around. He, too, should establish measures for success and stick to them. If they are not met, then those in his leadership that are responsible should be let go. He should bring in new blood and diversity if he truly wants an organization that is innovative and designed to protect and enhance life.

"Busy but challenging place to work"

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The site has a very dedicated team . A fast paced environment with new and challenging opportunities. Management pays attention to developing staff.

Cons

There is always good collaboration between sites. Egos get in the way of progress and causes delays in making decisions. In turn, there is a push to meet deadlines with long hours and stress.

"Overall an okay place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people, great benefits and pay.

Cons

Management distrust of their direct reports, failure of management to seek other opinions on matters that affect their reports.

Advice to Management

Get off of the high horse and take your employees opinions seriously!

8. "Great people, good place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management team is smart and has heart

Cons

Commuting in the DMV sucks

Advice to Management

Continue support for work at home hours

9. "Okay to work for"

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. There are a lot of smart and hardworking people. The annual bonus is nice. They also offer 401K and stock purchasing options.

Cons

The culture of accountability has come along way, but is not consistent throughout the company or departments. Work-life balance still needs work. Career opportunities seem to only be available to people working in certain departments.

10. "Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I can maintain work life balance. Occasionally need to work extra hours.

Cons

Lack of support from management.