Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • average salary, not a great career path of upward mobility (in 30 reviews)

• No career growth unless you chart your own course (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An outstanding company that supports its employees"

Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Astonishing benefits package, including generous medical, dental, and vision, and a profit sharing boost to your 401k.
    * A CEO that genuinely seems to care about his employees being successful, and realizes that employee success is directly tied to his company's success
    * Progressive attitudes towards changes in the company which result in better results for everybody.
    * Innovative leadership.
    * Direct recognition of progress tied to your compensation, including raises through tough global economic times.
    * Many employees get closed offices, even those not in management.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it feels like we have a huge impact on the world and do real good.

Cons

* It can be challenging to have career mobility depending on the department that you start in.
    * As a result of management siloing internally, experiences can vary wildly depending on which team you end up in, even within the same departments.
    * Despite being a mid-sized company, it can feel huge and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.
    * Advancement can require you to be a strong advocate for yourself since products are prioritized heavily.
    * Software development can be a stressful job (anywhere).

Advice to Management

Continue engaging with employees and break down the chain of command to reach top to bottom and get a more accurate 360 view of everything that's happening internally. It can lead to great ideas spreading throughout the company.

Esri Response

Oct 11, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and recognizing the reasons why Esri is such a great place to work! We also appreciate your constructive feedback and the advice you've provided... More

"Support Server Analyst"

Former Employee - Support Server Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Support Server Analyst in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive culture, everyone goes out of their way to help each other.

Cons

Slow to promote or allow people to switch departments

Advice to Management

Let people switch to other teams in order to grow.

3. "Bad Managers, No Career Mobility"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Opportunity to take on challenging projects, learn new technology

Cons

Takes years to transfer to another job or department

Won’t allow working remotely (but they will make exceptions for certain people) even though they have all the technology in place for it to work. Not everyone wants to live in the inland empire or commute so it is hard to find qualified employees.

HR replies to Glassdoor reviews suggesting to reach out to our representative, but many of us have and nothing changes. They seem to only care about bringing in new employees, not keeping them.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing some managers to be untouchable. People who manage others should have to follow the rules and set a good example. Seems like they think they ascended to management so the rules no longer apply to them.

"Needs to Come Up with the Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, beautiful campus, 401(k) match is good, benefits are great, cafe on site.

Cons

Veterans Day not observed (seems anti-American), no grandparent bereavement pay (stingy with paid time off), vacation accrual and given time is low - you need to be here 6 years just to accrue 3 weeks a year. Christmas bonus is almost nothing, owners too involved in day-to-day operations- nickel and dime employees. No general rule that remote working is allowed for exempt employees, owners weird about that also. No company picnic, no company events, no appreciation emails for employees on anniversaries (aside from 20 years). On-site cafe gives no discount to employees- processes in place are overly redundant and slow due to owners being too involved in everything.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times, and focus more on employee happiness. Let employees have more time off to enjoy life and have a better work-life balance. Allow your managers and directors to do their jobs instead of micro-managing every single detail. Remember that just because something doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it wouldn't matter a lot to your employees.

"A changing company"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Benefits package is very strong.
    Flexible company.
    Culture is laid back. Management is not pushy on sales targets.
    Friendly people that are mostly excited about their work.
    Easy access to GIS technology and training.

Cons

Poor management. There is no focus on improving managerial skills . This is an organization wherein management and leadership have an inner circle network. If you are friends with key leadership or in the circle you are typically successful.
    No employee growth track or internal opportunities. The company does not reinvest in employees through internal growth opportunities. The typical career involves doing the same account or job throughout the duration of an individual's tenure with the company. With no opportunities to grow skills set or move into management tracks, Esri frequently loses key talent and knowledge to the revolving door. For account management, there is no growth or long term reward. Esri prefers to hire from outside the organization on key positions. This strategy helps the company keep key customer relationships strong. As a down side, account managers that have invested many years in the company often find their time to be wasted when they are not selected for account leadership opportunities.
    No rewards perks of benefits. However, you really can't complain too much about this, because they are not pushy on sales targets. This does make annual reviews pointless and empty, as there is really no connection or alignment between goals and rewards. The result is just arbitrary reviews that occur because they must.

6. "Consultant/Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Esri is a great place to work. People are are largely collaborative, friendly, and supportive and have a genuine desire to do good work. The corporation is fiscally responsible, willing to invest in the future, and committed to client success.

Cons

Resource shortages make it difficult to serve clients effectively

Advice to Management

Hire or train more Enterprise Implementation resources

7. "Very Successful Company with Very Happy Employees"

Former Employee - Agriculture Data Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Agriculture Data Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ESRI is a very stable company that is highly respected in the Industry. Cutting edge in Geospatial Technology. I was based in St Louis/St Charles Office, and loved every colleagues I had, and still stay in touch with them. Also, the colleagues and managers at Redlands office are amazing. I can say - ESRI employees are very happy.

Cons

If you are in Sales/Support, then being in any offices across USA will work perfectly fine. However, if you are a Data Scientist (like me), then being in Redlands is a huge plus because almost all Software Development happens in Redlands. My role was Agriculture Data Scientist and targeted to consult Ag clients. It was a bad timing that most Ag companies were undergoing mergers and acquisitions and there were only few with business account which I used to consult the Ag Clients, I did free work for some of our clients but that approach is not sustainable in long run. Thus, I left ESRI and came back to my previous employer.
    ESRI has huge client base, so it is beneficial if one can take a role to serve different clientele sides and be very productive (which i failed to do, and regret as well).

Advice to Management

I did not have much exposure to Redlands office and management, so dont have much to say. I was very impressed with the Professional Services Division Director and senior managers in different functions - Keep up with the good work.

Esri Response

Dec 6, 2017 – Esri

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We wish you much success in your new role!

"Very comfortable"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Nice place to go to work every day with lots of trees, a nice cafeteria, slow pace, easy to fit in and lots of people to connect with

Cons

People in charge don't like new ideas from the new people, importance is determined by your employee number - the lower the better, a few senior level managers make all the decisions so it takes a long time to get approval to do anything, lots of unhappy people that stick around and ride the wave

Advice to Management

Seems that the advice given is not being acted on - allow lower level managers to make decisions, stop looking at employee numbers before considering new ideas

"Product Specialist"

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Great people, benefits. Good team work

Cons

Hard to move around. You are just another employee

"Small town tech company pros and cons"

I have been working at Esri full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits, beautiful headquarters, inspiring corporate mission

Cons

Raises are typically minimal. Be sure to negotiate a salary you're truly comfortable with before coming on-board.