Esri Reviews | Glassdoor

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of good career growth/path opportunities" (in 19 reviews)

• "Very flat organization, the owner has favorites and they are allowed to run amuck" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about GIS

Cons

No potential for career growth. They will do anything to not give you a raise with a promotion

"."

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k matching, employer paid benefits

Cons

culture, low salaries, slow to move on anything, do not seem to value talent, lots of people who have been around forever and dont actually work

"X marks the spot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Interesting product for those excited by geospatial solutions and analytics
    - Engaging work that can be accelerated by self-starters
    - Nice campus w/ great offices
    - Some really wonderful people who love mapping

Cons

- Slow environment with little to no best practices from a software development perspective
    - Large employee demand to work remotely with very little receptiveness from senior leadership
    - Little to no innovation; technical teams are bogged down by legacy systems

Advice to Management

- Don't get distracted by shiny objects
    - Take care of technical debt
    - If employees want to work remote, enable them - that's the only way you're going to truly compete with startups.

"Should have explored alternative options before joining."

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a cafe onsite so you do not need to leave the company property to eat.
    Esri offers health benefits. I think most companies do so this may not be a pro.

Cons

No opportunity for career advancement
    Pay is less than the software industry standard.
    Hours are not flexible.
    Suffers the politics of a large corporation.
    Quite a lot of harassment and infighting amongst the teams, and HR exist to serve the company, not the employee.

Advice to Management

Hire management that possesses integrity.

"Good Opportunity, Bad Pay and Growth"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Campus is beautiful, cafe on site, business ideas are good, many learning opportunities.

Cons

Not good pay, no care for loyalty, upward mobility is difficult. No grandparent leave for bereavement. Owners don't really care about what they employees want - if they don't care about it, it'll never happen or be heard.

Advice to Management

Jack and Laura are stuck in the mindset of Redlands 30 years ago, when housing was affordable and what salaries should be. Many departments, including HR, Marketing, severely underpaid and undervalued. It's what can we get people for, not how can we keep people and let them feel valued. If you start your career here, you won't get paid 10 years later the same as someone coming in at whatever role you've promoted to. This creates pay imbalances and tension between employees.

My advice is to reward loyal employees who've stuck with the company and done good work MORE than those just coming in. Look across all departments and see job titles and salaries - are they the same? We need to stop thinking people are living in a bubble here - Southern California is expensive, and if you want employees to stay here instead of moving back to Northern CA (tech world) where pay is at least more comparable to the area, act like it. You'll continue to keep the ones who "sit here and stay" and never leave because it's comfortable, and lose fresh, good talent.

Be open to honest feedback about what's happening and act on it. Businesses have a trickle down effect - so your attitude will make it down the line to the newest employee.

Also, start listening to what employee's want. Send out a survey, have grandparents as part of bereavement (seriously on this - so many are raised by and are so close to their grandparents, and you're going to nickle and dime them for days to grieve?).

When I was hired on in 2007, I was told that all corporate cares about is "butts in seats." No remote working, no care for home life, we all have to live like Esri is our life - but if it's going to continue to succeed, it needs to grow with the times, and care more about what employees actually want.

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best GIS platform made, awesome customers.

Cons

Could be easier to change roles.

Advice to Management

Develop internal talent first

Esri Response

Oct 24, 2018 – Esri

Thank you for your 10+ years with Esri! We are committed to the growth and development of our employees. One way we do this is through our robust training courses and other educational opportunities... More

7. "Good company to work with."

I worked at Esri full-time

Pros

Good company to work with.

Cons

Slow work environment and less flexibility with respect to working from home.

8. "esri"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedule, holidays, good company culture

Cons

Slow moving corporate processes, lots of change

"Account Manager"

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits.

Good pay on a non-commission basis.

Cons

Management is known to make backdoor deals with employees. Some employees get way better perks and treatment than others, simply for knowing the right people. Otherwise, its not a fair environment here.

Very toxic environment to work in in the Federal Office. Protect your book of business from Solution Engineers, Managers and other Account Managers.

Poor to no career mobility or growth for employees - particularly in sales. Opportunities are not announced fairly. Rather, managers approach chosen employees and fill the positions before announcing them. If you apply, management will ignore you and HR will intervene - if you persist.

Dishonest and disconnected HR team that frames employees in negative light or just plain lies. They can be very destructive. You will be punished for bringing forward problems and issues; especially, if they pertain to senior account managers or management.

Practices Low-Road business games with business partners, competitors and former employees.

Borderline fraud, if not fraudulent practices with time card reporting, travel and client management. Can people really work 120 hour pay periods non-stop throughout the year? No you cant, but some employees are allowed to charge hours like this.

Hemorrhaging key talent year after year, because they cannot fix internal problems.

Advice to Management

The company should have an internal investigation done to clean up the poor business practices. Maybe clean up some of the management and HR that is fostering these bad practices.

"Global Data Coordinator,"

Former Employee - Global Data Coordinator, in Middleton, MA
    Former Employee - Global Data Coordinator, in Middleton, MA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great software and career focused ongoing Sales training.

Cons

I worked there for 14 years and came to learn that success at Esri is highly determined by the quality of your direct managers.

Advice to Management

Ensure the employees needs are met, exclusive of position or salary, but also on a personal level. Studies have shown that in determining employee retention, these factors are listed number one in importance.