Exelon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Exelon President & CEO Christopher M. Crane
Christopher M. Crane

Pros
Cons
  • Some work/life balance is not what is advertised as (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours, the job is never done (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best overall"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best most comprehensive benefits anywhere. Annual bonus. Cutting edge utility industry technology.

Cons

Expect occasional long hours and a collateral duty emergency response role.

Feb 20, 2017 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and value your insight. Thanks again!

2. "Great place to start your next career"

Current Employee - Senior Project Controls in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Controls in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exelon is a fortune 100 company offering an absolutely Awesome culture, best and most comprehensive benefits. I can honestly say I love my job, and our workgroup all the way from our VP down thru the Directors, Managers, Supervisor and our workgroup

If you want a career where you are appreciated, valued and want to make a difference... Exelon is the place for you. My only regret is that I didn't' jump from my former employer and go to Exelon sooner!

The workplace is great, fun people encouraging work life balance. Leadership not only listens to employees they actively solicited input, support creativity, nurture innovation, career development and advancement. Employees are easy to work with and very talented. Teamwork and collaboration drive our success. Everyone is passionate, down to earth

Exelon is community focused, encourages and actively enables employees to give back to our communities and puts its money where it mouth is. As employees volunteer time and money Exelon gives additional bonuses to that company.

Finally, the on-boarding is very comprehensive and implemented well! Everything from HR thru your new job duties, goals, roles, responsibilities, procedures, and work flow are documented, easy to follow and easy to find. Exelon has an awesome company and employee portal!

Cons

(While this may be a con for the employee... it is a big pro for our customers)
    Expect occasional long hours and an emergency response role. Work load and hours can be very demanding at times but there are opportunities for work life balance.

We often have meetings and work thru lunch, however our management team appreciates our hard work and extra efforts by providing great meals

I work in downtown Philadelphia. And I dreaded considering a long commute into the city. It was the primary reason I didn't consider an Exelon career sooner. Now that I have been working here for just under a year. I have come to appreciate the flexibility our management team provides. They offer state of the are video conferencing tools and are very understanding and supportive with flexible schedules and reporting locations.

I can honestly say the pros far out weigh the cons!

Advice to Management

Continue the great work already being done. A sincere thank you to our leadership... I know you are listening. You many want to think about a program to encourage employees to help recruit other employees from their previous work life. It is easy to sell the benefits of working for Exelon and it might help spark additional innovation

3. "Takes a while to make an impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Exelon full-time

Pros

Great culture overall, the employees are almost all easy to work with and very bright. Everyone is very passionate about the industry. The company is also well positioned to take on challenges in that the utility of the future will face. Exelon also offers a ton of flexibility for employees to move to various areas of the company in order to broaden their experience in preparation for advancement.

Cons

It seemed to me that it takes many many years of experience at the company before your opinions are valued or before you can have significant impact. The industry and company are massive and complex and do take significant time to gain expertise. Also, decisions seem to primarily be made at the extremely senior SVP and Chief levels, with very little influence or room for innovation at all happening in middle management or even Director level. Very interesting and innovative work can be had in Strategy and Constellation Ventures and special projects teams.

Advice to Management

With the future of the utility very uncertain and significant innovation still waiting in this industry, try to involve younger generations in new projects and ideation. Look also to eliminate waste of paper pushing in lower and mid management positions - there are vast inefficiencies that if eliminated can open up doors for mid level employees to actually contribute to growth rather than processes and procedures.

Apr 6, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We are always looking for innovative solutions from our employees from interns to executives and trying to find new ways to engage our employees. We appreciate you ... More

5. "It's the small things that reveal true colors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Exelon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits along with reasonable environment and high ethics make this place seem better than it truly is.

Cons

Exelon bought Constellation for a song and put all it's poor management practices to work. First, all job titles were immediately stepped down and then followed by an insane IT practice that prevented remote workers from saving files on local PC only to be topped by issuing employees with 6-10 W2's for every state they may have traveled and accompanied by a note stating "deal with it."

Advice to Management

Get you head out of your rear cavity and treat employees like assets and not expenses. You'll reap the rewards 100 fold.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Dynamic work environment
    - Challenging work assignments
    - Travel opportunities
    - Mentor opportunities
    - Benefits package
    - Job postings across multiple OpCos in multiple cities

Cons

- Rapid pace of change due to utility alignment efforts

Apr 6, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We take pride in offering our employees career growth opportunities across the entire corporation so they can have a career that meets their needs!

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company pays very well and people are given chances to work in different areas of the company.

Cons

Everyone works very hard at there job.

Advice to Management

Management need to fill the openings faster.

Apr 14, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at Exelon. Our Talent Acquisition Teams are always working to streamline the hiring process and bring in the best talent in the industry as we know ... More

8. "systems engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Exelon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

money ,security, good people to work with

Cons

lack of real engineering work

Mar 29, 2017 – Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at Exelon. We are always looking for innovative new solutions to support the work that we do and would encourage you to work with your management ... More

9. "Good company...needs improvement"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Coordinator in Louisville, KY

Pros

There is a great opportunity to learn a lot. Things are constantly changing.

Cons

Not a lot of diversity in Leadership or management roles

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and value your insight.

10. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in California, MD
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in California, MD

Pros

Salary,Benefits,Professionalism Exelon is a top notch company to have the chance to work for. The people in the Security organization at Calvert are great and professional.

Cons

There is nothing I can say that is a con for Exelon. I enjoy going to work everyday. My organization strives for excellence.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm about your role and the company - Thanks again!

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Radiation Protection in Clinton, IL
    Current Employee - Radiation Protection in Clinton, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time

Pros

Great people, best plant in the fleet, industry leader in all aspects. Plant leads nation in dose, contamination events, and outage duration.

Cons

Plant is located in a small town, but the town has more things to do when compared to other plants.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; people are happy with the plants long term outlook. Hiring new staff is important to continued plant performance.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate you feedback and willingness to share your experience with others!