FactSet Reviews | Glassdoor

Phil Snow

1,083 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some take advantage of the work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Slow career growth which is not transparent (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Pros

Work from home option is great.

Cons

Earnings Seasons are tough but manageable.

"Good place to work as an engineer, needs a CTO though"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Exposure to a wide variety of technologies
    - Generally smart, friendly, and helpful coworkers. Most employment horror stories don't apply to FactSet, everybody is decent here.
    - A companywide appreciation for work/life balance. You won't be expected to work more than a standard work week (other than rotating oncall duties), but if you want to do more, you will find opportunities for that.
    - Compensation is probably above average for software engineers. After a number of years you will also be eligible for stock options
    - Good health insurance

Overall, I think this is a good place to develop a software engineering career. The only places that might be better are engineering-driven organizations like Google and Facebook, though every place comes with its own disadvantages.

Cons

I updated my review because I wanted to express my disagreement with the recent decision not to find a new CTO. Instead of a CTO they will have something like a Chief Product and Technology officer. Don't get me wrong, the product developers need a seat at the C-level. But even with the new SBU structure, there needs to be a single person who is responsible ONLY for engineering.

I think this could end up being a very bad decision, because without central leadership engineering is at risk of stagnating/fracturing, especially since the engineers will also be divided into different strategic business units now. This also comes at a bad time, because solving stability issues will require strong leadership.

Other cons:
    - Engineering is seriously lacking in internal documentation
    - There is some risk you could have a mediocre manager, though you can apply internally to change teams after 1.5 years or so
    - Less cutting edge work than Google or Facebook, but closer to the cutting edge than most other companies and improving consistently
    - Less support for H1B workers than some other companies (specifically I think they don't sponsor you the first year if you will have been with the company less than 6 months). Ask the recruiter for details on what to expect.

Advice to Management

Find a way to create a head person who is responsible only for engineering and has a lot of authority, perhaps reporting to the CPTO.

3. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Great benefits, friendly people, reasonable expectations of employees.

Cons

Company is working to upgrade to modern tech infrastructure, which has consumed a lot of resources. Once that is completed, should be able to better enhance the products.

"Review"

Current Employee - Analytics Consultant
    Current Employee - Analytics Consultant

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Benefits are good - great health care plan, subsidized lunches, PTO, sponsored CFA with bonuses for passing
    The work is occasionally quite interesting

Cons

Reviews and compensation are structurally flawed, not competitive with market
    Regular reorganization
    Client-facing roles often poorly defined, scope changes regularly

Advice to Management

FactSet's reviews and compensation are fundamentally flawed. Top performers are compensated similarly to low/mediocre performers, and compensation is generally below market regardless. This has become more pronounced in recent years, and FactSet regularly loses good people because of it. A relatively easy problem to fix, however management is more concerned with stock buybacks.

5. "FDS Environment"

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

The environment, the people. Depending on the team you can experiment with many newer technologies.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Design decisions made by Sales. Teams not all working towards the same goal or reimplementing the same thing. Legacy code.

Advice to Management

More communication, more often.

6. "Assessment"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and place to grow your career

Cons

Getting bigger so it's losing that small company feel that I grew up with.

Advice to Management

Utilize the data you have via performance appraisals and selectively promote star performers based on historical track record.

7. "Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Analyst
    Former Employee - Research Analyst

I worked at FactSet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance, properly managed by higher authorities

Cons

Less Opportunities and very less pay

8. "Cool place to start career"

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work environment.

Cons

Difficult to navigate mid to senior career.

"Great People and Products...Limited Growth and Low Compensation"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at FactSet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FactSet is a great company with good people and a good product. It starts with a fantastic training program and leads to great exposure for a entry level job. You quickly learn how to interact and communicate with clients of all levels and master the product (some excel but its 99% proprietary FactSet coding).

Small company feel even though they've been around for decades. Free lunch, and nice offices with fully stocked kitchens on each floor etc. A lot of autonomy after about a year. Depending on the office, a good amount of travel but its on your own schedule for the most part so its nice and easy, not a burden at all. Great work life balance, and job security. You can work 8:30 to 5:30 every day without a problem.

Cons

As of this year the Consulting role is changing dramatically but I will speak to what I know. You have an enormous amount of Help Desk responsibility for the first year or two. The skills you learn do not translate well to other jobs. Niche industry.

The main reason I left and several others have is due to slow career growth and poor compensation and its just getting worse. (See my final thoughts below)

Advice to Management

I'm a big fan of FactSet as a whole so I really hope management makes some changes in the near future. You're losing your most talented employees on a monthly basis due to the reasons I stated above. Its horrible for retention and motivation when your very best employees are rewarded the same or close to the same as your worst.

You can't be so hesitant to fire people. The top 60% of consultants can do the work of bottom 40% and would gladly do it if rewarded.

"If you want to work for a roadblock, look no further"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norwalk, CT

I worked at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch is provided 4/5 days per week, and the pay is competitive for university hires. Premiums for medical benefits are low, and paid time off is acceptable.

Cons

- Useless middle management that is completely uninterested in improving firm’s technology
    - “Industry regulations” prohibit firm from using cloud providers like AWS
    - Title promotions are entirely arbitrary and do not carry compensatory benefits; some teams insist employees have 5+ years tenure to earn a senior tittle, with others granting 3 year employees the title in placatory attempts to retain talent.
    - Firm consistently chooses cost effective services over those preferred by employees based on survey results (e.g. Slack vs MS Teams)
    - As a non-management engineer, you will not receive a bonus. Ever.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are unhappy. Outsourcing a literal half of the firm’s roles does not improve morale and will not improve long term results. You claim to hire the “best and brightest”. However, from experience, I’ve seen several of your most promising employees realize that they do, in fact, have a modicum of self respect and self-worth, and have moved on to more rewarding opportunities. Stop promoting people based on tenure. Stop allowing sales to drive your alleged software company. Stop choosing your bottom line over employees’ happiness and your ability to surpasses competition in favor of short term wins. We all know this is a pump-and-dump effort by upper management. At least be honest to those who follow you so blindly.

Showing 1,083 of 1,111 reviews