FactSet Reviews | Glassdoor

1,363 reviews

3.7
Phil Snow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Aside from monetary compensation it maintains an excellent work-life balance while always presenting challenging work" (in 310 reviews)

• "Work Environment, free lunch, ability to work with those around you" (in 188 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company for personal and career development"

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

FactSet provides outstanding compensation and benefits packages. Aside from monetary compensation it maintains an excellent work-life balance while always presenting challenging work. If you work hard and excel in the role you are in, doors will open and you can carve out a diverse and flexible career being exposed to different teams and departments.

The people are what make the company great and its no surprise many in senior leadership have stayed at the firm for so long. It's a great culture, thriving company and something many here are proud of.

Cons

None too impactful to mention

"Came to Launch a Career, Stayed to Build One"

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I came to FactSet several years ago to launch a career. At the time, my plan was to build the necessary skill sets that would allow me the opportunity to eventually work for a FactSet client. However, having worked in other organizations prior to taking a job at FactSet, I came to realize what an incredible culture and opportunity I had walked into. I determined relatively quickly that FactSet was a place where I would build a career. Several years later, I have never been more confident that I made the right decision. FactSet continues to be a place where I have challenged myself and grown personally and professionally.

FactSet is at the forefront of Finance and Technology and is well positioned for growth, despite a challenging market for many of its clients. Senior Management has a sound game plan to capitalize on increasing market share and driving the company forward.

As the organization has grown and evolved, career advancement opportunities have accelerated for employees.

The opportunity to work with smart, intelligent, driven, and team oriented individuals across management and individual contributor roles is the backbone of a strong and innovative culture.

Cons

The organization is playing a bit of catch up on core corporate functions as it evolves from a small to a larger company.

"Overall friendly and relaxed"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work hours are relatively flexible for engineers, but your mileage may vary depending on your manager.

Good work life balance - option to work remotely. Rarely any hard deadlines, rarely (if ever) need to work late.

Good benefits - you get the full package: good health insurance (medical, dental, vision), flexible spending account, commuter pretax deductions, life insurance, 401k matching, stock purchase plan

Cons

Old outdated tech - it's getting better over the years, but slow to improve.

Not much opportunity for growth, low pay raises, slow promotions. Understandable given the size and age of the company.

"Better Opportunities Elsewhere"

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you don’t get selected by your first choice out of college, FactSet is a great opportunity to work alongside those types of firms and transition to them after a year.

No disrespect intended (hey, I work here too), but if you’re a B- or below talent then you can find a stable and safe career here. 9-5 job and very little in terms of stress or repercussions in non-sales career paths.

Better perks (not pay) than most of our clients (healthcare, snacks, happy hours, vacation, etc.) but laughably less than comparable tech firms in the same cities.

Cons

Offshoring operations to Philippines and India all the while importing bodies from ‘western’ countries to offset lack of internal candidates in the States (lowers EMEA/AsiaPac talent pools as well as domestic morale and wages).

Compensation
    * $60K ($70K in SF) domestically to start (college new hire)
    * Rated 1-5 every 6M; 1=~$5k, 2=~$3k, 3=~$1.5k, 4=$0, 5=Fired
    * Above is rough 3 year averages for raises

* Ratings are on a weighted curve; eg: 10% of employees can be rated a “1” and they are trying their best to move to an annual compensation review (already done in the SBUs).

* Can earn near $100k after 5 years at top rating (again only 10% clip due to distribution and no one is rated 1-2 in first year); problem is every coastal start-up, large client, or reputable tech company pays that in 1-2 years for similar Customer Success or Analyst roles.

* Realistically not eligible for bonus until in Sales or as a ‘Senior’ Manager (still <=~$10k); have to crush goal or be fairly senior (10+ years) for anything meaningful. Stock options exist, but in 5+ years of being 1-2 rated I’ve yet to receive any, but your mileage may vary.

Much more not listed, but suffice it to say the cons greatly outweigh the benefits in the 2018/19 economy. Best thing that could happen to FactSet would be another recession.

Advice to Management

Can only speak to GSCS (Sales, Specialty, and Consulting), but FactSet is in many ways analogous to a Ponzi scheme. At a basic level, our client facing model is to bring in 2+ new hires for every lost employee of tenure to ultimately keep costs down and expectations even lower. The company does not care about the client experience, nor are they ultimately concerned with their success as we time and again drive good people away to essentially subsidize our competition or our clients with relatively seasoned junior talent.

Phil’s stated goals of being a world class risk provider, open platform, etc. are all fantastic but he simply doesn’t have the middle management or tenured contributors with the drive to see these policies through to completion. Too many senior managers are scared of him (he fires people) or complacent because they have families to provide for and they don’t want to rock the boat. In a way, I get it. But it really doesn’t help the company (top line, margins, stock price) or inspire people to stick around and fight the good fight. GSCS lost a huge percentage of employees last year because of comp or people simply not being bought into “leadership” on the ground. Phil can have all the town halls he wants, but until people start feeling invested in and hungry to innovate and try new things… The Street and our shareholders will continue to be agnostic to unimpressed with our performance.

I know Phil reads these periodically and hates the phrase, but FactSet remains a good company to start your career when you have no better alternative. Your early years are vitally important in setting up a prosperous career later – don’t waste away more time than required in finding a better company or opportunities for your late 20s, 30s, and beyond.

Advice: Better industry comps to measure relative compensation (R2C?) as I'm tired of hearing people leave for huge pay increases. Second, take a serious look at management south of JW or KK in GSCS as we're in desperate need of real leaders.

5. "Good benefits, but lack of Compensation/Career Advancement Transparency"

Current Employee - Content Specialist II in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Content Specialist II in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Flexible Hours & PTO
    Free Lunch & Stocked Kitchens

Cons

Difficult to control career advancement & salary increases since there are protocols in place to determine how many people can be in each job title + salaries are dictated based on department budgets on a yearly basis.

Advice to Management

More transparency with compensation and career advancement

"An okay place to work but could be better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Friendly environment; people are all very nice
    - Great work-life balance and PTO
    - Lunch subsidy from Monday to Thursday and bagel Friday

Cons

- below industrial average pay
    - legacy code; even though it's moving to new technology but the pace is slow
    - insurance and all sorts of benefits are getting cut

7. "FactSet good for entry level spots"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stamford, CT

I worked at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company culture with great associates at lower levels

Cons

Most senior people have been there for a long time and limit upward potential for most.

"Consultant"

I worked at FactSet full-time

Pros

Work Environment, free lunch, ability to work with those around you.

Cons

Not much to move up without going to CT

"Fine place but not a career maker"

Current Employee - Senior Product Specialist in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Product Specialist in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, super flexible work working hours, great people to work with, convenient location

Cons

Dwindling benefits and increased focus on growth over employee satisfaction and retention, periodic shifts in organizational structure, minimal opportunity for growth

"Client services"

Pros

Amazing time off and free lunch

Cons

Low pay and raises, upward mobility

Advice to Management

More transparency