G2 Reviews | Glassdoor

G2 Reviews

Updated Nov 20, 2019

4.1
G2 Co-Founder and CEO Godard Abel  (no image)
Godard Abel
Pros
  • "Free lunch and unlimited vacation are just part of the perks(in 9 reviews)

• "Catered lunch, unlimited lacroix, great culture(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Young, smart, and savvy"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

This "rocketship" is on the fast-track to success. Seriously, everyone here is young, smart, savvy, and extremely driven to scale this company. I've never worked at a place where everyone has gotten behind a mission and worked in-sync toward company-wide goals. Love this place.

Cons

G2 is scaling very quickly, and you'll see a lot of new faces in the office. This adds to the mix of the company culture, which is overall great, but there are sometimes those awkward moments.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower and have trust in your employees.

G22019-02-09

"Honored to have a seat on the rocket ship!"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

G2 has mastered the community and culture aspect of going to work and truly enjoying who you're working with and where you get to work every day. G2 allows you to be an entrepreneur in your role, encourages you to challenge the status quo, and is overall a really fun place to work.

Cons

I believe their pay bands are slightly off for what a typical role may see elsewhere. I'm hoping this will change as we're now a rapidly growing 'start up'. They put a heavy focus on the perks available to you as part of your compensation, but as someone who doesn't necessarily use all the perks, I'd rather have the option to be compensated appropriately.

Advice to Management

Spend more time, energy, and resources on enabling current staff now that we've built up the teams. We need standards/processes put in place in order to ramp up new employees effectively and efficiently. Costs less to retain a customer than it does to attain a new customer.

G22019-11-20

"Incredible journey turned sour"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at G2 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great benefits including healthcare, fully-stocked kitchen, beer on tap, events, and more. - The majority of the company are very talented and driven individuals. - The journey taught me a ton. - Well-known and respected brand in SaaS

Cons

- No form of empathy. - Totalitarian-like dictatorship from newer c-suite. - Gaslighting from leadership. - Lack of thought diversity. - Illusion of transparency. - Abandonment of company culture and values in lieu of exiting ASAP. - Protection of certain* leadership by all means necessary.

Advice to Management

Embrace thought diversity and full transparency. Stop ignoring issues or deflecting them. When a question or criticism is brought up, discuss it. Put it on the floor to talk about. Don't hide it under the rug or punish the messenger.

G22019-11-20

"Delusions of Grandeur"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at G2 full-time

Pros

New office space and catered lunches were great. Having a pulse on what software worked well ensured that sales reps had all the tools at their disposal. There is one person in sales leadership who is a role model professionally and personally. It's good to see him in the trenches with his reps.

Cons

Weak culture: People were just collecting a paycheck here. No one was happy. Perhaps that is because no one hits quota. Sorry, I exaggerated. A VERY small percentage of reps hit quota. Co-Founder: Straight up bully who loves to hear himself talk. Whether it's a happy hour when he's been drinking or in front of the whole company, you're going to hear about him climbing the sales ladder and his love for ham... sandwiches. Has a knack for embarrassing employees in front of others. Future: They say they are a rocket ship and are destined for wonderful things. Don't drink the kool aid. I don't know how they put that message out their when sales goals are not consistently met. Middle Management: Probably a strangleheld by leadership but not an inspiring group of folks to look up to. For instance, to say "post more content on LinkedIn" is not something I would hang my hat on if I was a manager. Product: It's a nice to have but not a need to have.

Advice to Management

Fix quotas and leave your ego at the door.

G22019-11-07
  5. "great company culture with people development mindset"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

awesome benefits; culture promotes individual learning and growth; flexible wfh policy; snacks and catered lunch;

Cons

the jobs/tasks can be a bit messy

Advice to Management

slow down the growth pace and look at all optimization opportunities within your org

G22019-11-12

"Quick to grow but slow to improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many, many great people at G2. They make work enjoyable on the good days and tolerable on the bad days. The benefits are decent. PTO policy is also flexible, if you are able to take advantage of it (hard to do depending on the team and workload). Because there is a lot of growth, there are many opportunities to take on new challenges.

Cons

Despite a lot of growth, G2 has failed to shake the startup mindset. Inconsistencies in tools and processes cause a lot of unnecessary stress and extra work. High performers are overworked and poorly compensated. There is always promise of improvement, but nobody has any time to address the issues because they are too busy trying to keep up. Teams are becoming increasingly siloed as a result.

G22019-10-25
  7. "I LOVE working at G2!"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is amazing. It's a very 21st-century company with great perks. But the thing I love most about G2 are the people. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. You can tell very clearly how passionate people are about their roles and the work that they do at G2. I feel like I am inspired and supported to do my best work every day and to never stop learning. G2 is a very innovative company and I can't... want to continue to watch us grow!

Cons

Honestly, nothing to add here so far!

G22019-11-01

"Have really enjoyed my time at G2 so far, excited for the future"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really great product / platform - it's constantly improving which makes it "easier" to sell -Fulfills a need in the software industry -Brand awareness has never been higher...in almost every conversation I have, the prospect knows G2 (was not the case when I started at the company). Marketing team is killing it. -Executive team has had success growing other companies, it's comforting knowing the company is very... stable -Executive team does their best to be very transparent. Have monthly all-hands and SKO's twice a year. -Everyone in the company is accessible - if you need help from C-level, VP, etc you can usually reach them pretty easily. They will almost always help on deals if you ask which I appreciate. -On the sales team(s) there is a good amount of internal promotions to leadership positions. The outside hires have been outstanding. -Great benefits / perks -Offices are awesome (Chicago and SF)

Cons

-The pay for sales is average. I don't feel "underpaid" but I do know other Chicago/SF companies that pay more for similar sales roles. -We have a very tough interview/hiring process, which I can appreciate, but frustrating when we are behind on hiring goals -There are some teams (not mine) that have expressed their frustration in being micromanaged

Advice to Management

Love working at G2, truly feel lucky to have gotten in when I did. Keep being transparent with your employees and let's take this thing to the moon.

G22019-10-22
  9. "Wish I got here sooner"

Current Employee - Enterprise Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Leadership knows what they are doing - the G2 family of entrepreneurs is team of tried and true experts * Customers want the product, are excited to work with G2 * Traditional tech perks are elevated here, especially in the new beautiful office: gym, lunch, breakfast foods, snacks, cold brew, kombucha, beer, wine, healthy foods * Management cares about individual growth, and provides tuition assistance and... great lifestyle support (maternity/paternity leave!)

Cons

* 401k match not until 2 year cliff * Company is growing quickly, and average tenure of staff is (assumingly) dropping younger and younger. Common for blitzscaling

Advice to Management

* Create 30-60-90 day plan for onboarding, get new hires activated more quickly

G22019-10-11

"Awesome place to grow your career, despite growing pains"

Current Employee - Employee Success in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to executives and senior leadership, benefits are awesome, people are very intelligent, fast moving business, lots of opportunity to try new things and explore your career.

Cons

A lot of the growth changes impact people who have been around for a while (eg outside hires installed as the new boss, structural changes, unprofessional behavior that was OK with a much smaller company is no longer tolerated); Some teams seem to be burning out while others are clipping along; some teams are more siloed than they should be; budgets are not at all transparent so buying things is like asking your... dad for money; certain senior leaders appear out of their depth and instead of being open about this, they appear to shut down and get defensive.

Advice to Management

Empower front-line managers to make more decisions without having to get senior leadership approval; talk more about real things at the team (department) level rather than just relying on front-line managers to communicate things they are unclear about; think about structuring teams with less hierarchy (more team-of-teams, less “insulation” by hiring tons of VPs and then directors).

G22019-10-07