G2 Reviews

Updated May 18, 2020

3.9
G2 Co-Founder and CEO Godard Abel  (no image)
Godard Abel
Pros
  • "Obviously 4 days of free lunch is unreal but what really excites is the people I get to work with everyday(in 14 reviews)

• "Catered lunch, unlimited lacroix, great culture(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Other than that, mostly just your typical growing pains(in 8 reviews)

• "The HR team also tricks team members into signing things they don't technically have to, it's a total scam(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great experience overall even with some challenges"

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you do well and show interest you WILL get new career opportunities. This isn't just in my experience, I've seen it time and time again. G2 has helped many get into their first leadership roles, relocated individuals with opportunities to build out new markets across the globe. Not sure why no one talks about these more? The 'perks' are obviously amazing. I don’t even think people realize how amazing they are because folks here are so early in their career? Free catered lunch and stocked kitchen at all times, incredible office, free gym, really good health insurance, 401k match and good compensation. When I describe our perks to friends and family they are literally in awe. My G2 experience hasn’t been perfect. I had a rough start because I came from a large company with intense training programs and wasn’t ready for the shift to start-up onboarding. I kept my head down and worked really hard and eventually results came. I expressed interest in leadership and when an opportunity came up my manager and Director were very supportive and helped me level up my skills to get a first-time leadership role, I've since been promoted again. Great example of investing in internal talent and helping them grow their career. There's been leadership changes over the last year but I think they were all due. It feels like a fresh class of leadership and the external leaderships hires have a ton of experience and come from admirable tech companies. Ultimately at a certain point you need that external, experienced talent to take you to the next level. Good amount of women in senior leadership which is important to see! Overall G2 has been an incredible opportunity for me over 2 years even with some start up challenges. The product is good and the talent is here. With new experienced external leaders G2 is going to have a pretty amazing next few years.

Cons

Can still have very “start up” challenges in some ways even at this large of a size. Enablement needs to be right-sized to the stage the company is in. Its my understanding that this is a focus for Senior leadership right now. If you are a self starter you can overcome this in the mean time. It used to feel like a boys club and cliquey when I first arrived 2 years ago but this has changed completely. Ive seen G2 make a concerted effort to attract and hire diverse talent. I've felt invested in as a minority woman and have seen other examples of this and a diverse employee base is growing out of this legacy.

G22020-04-09

April 29, 2020

Thank you for the thoughtful and candid feedback. We aspire to be a company that provides opportunities for growth for all employees. Although G2 is still a work in progress, we're proud to have seen many G2ers move into new and/or leadership roles and reach their professional goals. The HR team continues to hone and better define career paths so even more G2ers can advance and develop. Like many young companies scaling up, G2 does have its challenges but leadership is now focused on smart growth and learning from past errors. Leadership has also made diversity and inclusion a strategic business priority and we're proud of the positive impact it has already made. G2 firmly believes that diversity makes us stronger and inclusion will enable us to achieve our global mission. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "Incredible learning/entrepreneurial environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

G2 has a very strong product and given our traffic has made it very easy to break into conversation with prospects and customers. One of the best parts for me of working at G2 is this ability to learn so much about all different parts of the software industry. Piling onto this implicit learning opportunity is the team we have hired here. It seems like every interaction with other people at G2 whether in my org or a completely different one offers an opportunity to grow myself. G2 has created a culture where every single employee has the opportunity to take a great idea and bring it to bear beyond their current job. Some of our best features have come from ideas hatched outside of product, and some of our most compelling sales and marketing campaigns have come outside of those teams. It's always so cool to see someone have an idea, put in the time to test it, then bring it to bear among other teams. Our leadership team seems to have grown in relationship with each other a lot. There seems to be a strong trust and cohesion in this group and a lack of politics, fighting, gossip, etc.

Cons

Not everyone will take the initiative to learn as described about and we need to work on building onto our enablement team to formalize our training engagements.

G22020-05-18

"Hot and Cold"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has outstanding benefits, and seems to focus very closely on employee wellbeing. Positioned well in the market, and riding a wave of massive need for data about the software market; G2's value isn't going by the wayside any time soon.

Cons

Attrition is rampant in leadership at G2 as of early 2020. Most of my challenges with the remaining leadership stem from two pieces: the way information is filtered down to the front line employees and the focus on optics over logistics. As Covid decimates the SaaS landscape and creates uncertainty for our livelihoods, we're still getting inundated about charitable opportunities and inclusion/diversity efforts. On the charity, it's obviously important, but sponsoring large events while the financial health of the company is uncertain is probably not for the best. I also get that it's important not to be seen as a 'boys club' but it hardly seems like the time to focus on the color of one's skin or their preferred gender pronouns... There is also a pattern with those who have a previous history of working with the founders in other companies. If you've been part of the 'entrepreneurial family' you are given a far longer leash and looked at with less scrutiny than your peers, it seems. Many are highly competent and deserving, but not always evaluated on the same grounds as their peers.

G22020-05-11

May 20, 2020

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Our focus since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis has been the safety and well-being of our workforce and we’re glad to know that you and your teammates feel cared for. Over the past few months, we’ve had a few leadership changes and recognize that personnel changes are not easy on teams. We are excited about the new leaders coming on board and the skills and backgrounds they bring. During this challenging time, we are looking forward to the influx of new ideas and new energy. The crisis we are facing has also pushed us to focus on what is important and that includes our people and our values. Inclusion and diversity will always be core to our values. As a global organization, it’s our responsibility to respect and be considerate of the needs and culture of each office. And during this time where there are so many in need, we’ve committed to our charitable partners through volunteerism and small donations. CEO Godard Abel also personally donated this year’s sponsorship to the American Cancer Society on behalf of G2 so as to not impact the company’s cost-saving measures. The Leadership Team has made it a priority to be transparent throughout this crisis, including sharing numbers and details. It is also Leadership’s responsibility to help interpret those numbers and details and what it means for the organization and workforce. Leadership will remain committed to sharing as many details as possible. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and for your contributions to G2.

"Good People, Good Intentions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been in the workforce for a long time, in a variety of industries. Hands down, G2 has been the most positive work experience of my career. I understand that some departments have issues, and there's been ups and downs, but overall, this is a company full of nice and smart people with good intentions. The tools and equipment provided are top notch. Salary and benefits are competitive. Free lunch? Crazy. Coming into G2 from a non-tech industry, it's my perspective that employees in tech have very high (perhaps somewhat unrealistic) demands of employers to be flawless and provide the best of everything. Am I saying tech people are a little spoiled? Maybe I am, but here's the perspective of somebody who's been around and worked in a lot of places: there's going to be mistakes, ups and downs, anywhere you go. In my opinion what you have to ask is "are the intentions good?" and "are these people i want to spend time with?" The answer to both is affirmatively yes (at least for me), and this has only been confirmed with the way that leadership this coronavirus crisis with honesty and sympathy.

Cons

It's a very siloed, but there seems to be an attempt to address this. There also seems to be a few leaders who are "hot spots" and negatively affect their teams. And the feelings around the layoffs are still lingering.

G22020-04-30

May 12, 2020

People are our priority so we're thrilled to hear that the people of G2 have been a highlight in your experience. One of our PEAK values is authenticity which includes being transparent with our goals and intentions, both at a company level and team level. But like any organization, we have things to work. We are looking for ways for teams to collaborate to address the silos. We've also invested heavily into management training and conscious leadership training to build a better work experience for all. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad to have you on board!

"Best Chicago Company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

After working in the Chicago tech for over 15 years, I can say with conviction that G2 is one of the best places to work in Chicago. G2 has an exciting strategy that is funded to execute with strong, passionate people. The team wants to work together and do the right thing for customers. For this reason, I am proud to work for G2 and would highly recommend it.

Cons

While it is getting better, there are too many projects underway that are not fully done to realize the greatest impact.

G22020-04-20

April 29, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback. Although we still have some things to work on, we're proud to be a people-first organization based on passionate and committed talent. We're working hard to find ways for teams to cross-collaborate and build an even more exciting future for G2. Glad to have you onboard and thank you again for your feedback!

"Not outstanding, but nowhere near the horror stories"

4.0

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Excellent place to land as a young professional. You're surrounded by some pretty successful salespeople, and there has been a big push recently to get other teams in on sales calls to work on cross-team collaboration. - Pay is pretty on-par with other companies in the area - The office perks are pretty unmatched - WFH during COVID-19 has been very manageable, and the company has done a good job of adjusting accordingly - I've seen a shift in the way C-Level leadership has been handling themselves in front of the company, much more transparency and some solid hires at the top. They seem to be taking feedback well and utilizing it.

Cons

- Career development and advancement has been getting bounced around forever it seems like. It's very difficult to begin discussions about switching departments/moving teams. - Over the past few months, there's been a steady stream of leaders leaving for new roles. On one hand, they had been here for 2-3 years, which in the start-up space is pretty normal, but on the other hand, hard not to picture writing on the wall with the FY we had last year - Poor fiscal planning led to a large round of layoffs in December, and miscommunications in the sales org have made for some issues (that can be seen in some of the negative reviews).

G22020-04-21

April 29, 2020

Thank you for taking time to share feedback on G2. We are glad to hear that your shift to WFH has been smooth. Our goal is to continue to provide G2ers with the support needed to WFH and provide open and honest communication throughout the crisis. We're also glad to hear that your sales teammates and the cross-collaboration efforts have contributed to your positive experience. We certainly recognize that G2 had some challenges recently around growing too big too quickly, which lead to some painful organizational changes. However, leadership is committed to learning from those errors and growing smartly moving forward. In regards to career development and advancement, we hear you. The HR team has made it a priority in the coming year to better define career paths and the performance process in support of professional growth and development for all G2ers. Thank you again for your feedback.

"Too many egos at play"

1.0

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lunch, snacks, vacation, and some of the people

Cons

Lack of diversity and culture. Used to be a fun place where people felt valued. Managers blatantly play favorites and things change at a moments notice. The fallback excuse when things get crazy is that it’s a startup. All of the departments have a mismanaged plan on what they’re trying to accomplish. Hr is a joke and hasn’t delivered on their promises. C-suite is solely focused on an ipo and doesn’t really care about fixing the work environment. If you aren’t on the sales team, good luck being praised for your work. If you are on sales, good luck making your quota. The ceo is clearly out of touch and only seems interested in bragging about how great the company is, when it’s very clearly starting to crack. His ego is getting in the way of what used to be a place people felt proud to be part of.

G22020-05-18
  8. "Good company, nothing special"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good staff, normal salary, nice office

Cons

Routine tasks, misunderstanding with management, little vacation

G22020-04-16

April 29, 2020Corporate

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. While we have things to work on, we're glad that your G2 colleagues and the new G2 office in Chicago have positively added to your time here. When it comes to communication with managers, we've recently made significant investments in manager training which includes communication. Also, the people team is focusing on better defining career levels, paths, and promotions to help all G2ers grow and avoid the feeling of routine work. In regards to your concern around vacation, we understand the importance of work/life balance for all employees so we offer unlimited PTO for U.S. salaried employees. However, please reach out to the Employee Success team employeesuccess@g2.com if you feel you are being unfairly treated regarding PTO. Thanks again for your feedback.

"G2 is a Rocket Ship, Get In!"

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

G2 is a Rocketship as a company (incredible revenue growth) but for your career as well. It's simple, You perform at a high level - opportunities will come. I've seen many co-workers over the past few months get promoted to new roles inside (new teams, offices) and outside G2. Recognition - Leadership celebrates your accomplishments, company award nominations, constant shoutouts in team channels. The Founders are truly connected to the G2 team - The CEO joins virtual happy hours, the President will sit down with you for lunch in the cafeteria which are just two of the experiences I've had within 9 months. Culture - You will gain mentors and establish deep friendships within your team. Obviously 4 days of free lunch is unreal but what really excites is the people I get to work with everyday. Company outings, charity events. Product - Before you make any purchase, you're going to check customer reviews on multiple options first. This is how G2 thrives as businesses (5 million visits a month) rely on our software reviews more and more. There's no better time to be apart of this company!

Cons

If you need your hand held and be told what to do everyday, this isn't for you. The most successful are all self-motivators and hungry for more. Training has gotten much better but you will be thrown into the fire. Coming from the Staffing industry, I can say that the Grass doesn't get any greener than G2!

G22020-04-09

April 29, 2020Corporate

Thank you for sharing your experiences about working at G2. We're continuing to grow, learn and improve--including employee training as you mentioned--but we're glad you've sensed the people-centered culture and PEAK Values that are at the heart of our organization. Thanks for everything you do and we look forward to continuing to make G2 an even better home for you.

"Good not Great"

I worked at G2 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Anyone will tell you the perks here are pretty good. Free lunch, snacks, and good benefits overall. Technically you get unlimited PTO, though in practice this doesn't really work out the way you'd think it would. The amount of PTO/schedule flexibility you actually have is very dependent on your team. In the beginning, G2 offered up great opportunities to learn from other teams and gain experiences across the board. There was flexibility and encouragement to expand your role and bring new ideas to the table, which was great to experience for a time.

Cons

The Sales Org is a disaster. I quickly began losing faith in C-Level leadership because of that, and in particular have very negative opinions of the CRO. He is an absolute bully and the culture in Sales soured fast once he arrived. Unfortunately the poor culture there has bled into the other Orgs since Sales makes up so much of G2's headcount. The quality of AE/RM hires (particularly at the Enterprise level, which I assume the CRO has a bigger say in) has noticeably dipped as well. Many of them barely knew how our product worked even 1-2 years in, which puts a heavy burden on the other Orgs who support them. There were/are many people who are trapped in their roles at G2. Being a high performer does not get you promoted. In fact, it can get you cemented in place instead so that Managers don't have to replace you. Many of the best employees I knew here only got promoted after they threatened to quit. G2 has some good ideas but many are half-baked. G2 maintains a "we'll do it live" mentality but once you've moved past the start-up phase this no longer makes much sense. Many of the decisions made at the top seemed tone-deaf to the concerns/ideas of the lower-level employees who were actually on the front lines.

G22020-03-18

March 30, 2020

Thank you for providing a review! We want all of our employees to be able to learn continuously and are glad you found G2 to be a strong contributor to your development. We’ve heard your feedback about needing to make sure our Sales teams are positively supported, and G2 is searching for a Director of Sales Enablement so that our Sales teams are setup for success. G2 is glad that we’ve passed the ‘scrappy’ start-up phase and are now a mature organization with $100 million in funding. While that means we have and will continue to build out processes, we believe that keeping a ‘Do it Live’ mentality keeps us poised to jump on opportunities as a company. Thank you for your contributions to G2 and for giving us feedback on how we can improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 78 Reviews