GLG Reviews

Updated May 13, 2021

3.6
GLG CEO Paul Todd
Paul Todd
Pros
  • "great benefits, PTO, good work-life balance(in 46 reviews)

• "Everything starts from the top and it is very refreshing to see senior leadership actually care about making this company a great place to work(in 42 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Large company, unbalanced work-life balance(in 81 reviews)

• "Long hours and heavy work loads(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of GLG and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Improvements, Transparency, and Colleagues Stepping Up for Each Other

May 12, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Over the past six months, GLG has made great strides in clarifying roles and expectations across departments and bringing about better transparency for career progression. My colleagues are some of the kindest, most selfless individuals I’ve ever worked with – stepping up for each other in big ways after February’s winter storm in Austin and over the course of the Covid pandemic. As a member of one of GLG’s six diversity networks, I’ve experienced first-hand the ways in which the company is committed to Diversity & Inclusion.

Cons

As with most companies, GLG is trying to navigate the difference between flexibility and more traditional understandings of work. What it meant to work in 2019 is different from what it means to work in 2021, and different still from what work will look like in 2022 – and GLG continues to evolve. We should also acknowledge that burnout takes on many forms, and that it may be hard for some colleagues to ask for help.

2. 5.0

gLg Lowdown

Apr 23, 2021 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO is a breath of fresh air (in addition to some other key individuals at the company). My direct manager is divine. I love my job/career and the amazing people I regularly work with every day. I'm paid well. I'm treated well, and I feel like my coworkers genuinely care about me (and I care about them). I'm one of the lucky ones. And truth be told, nearly all of GLG engineering is a great place to be. Speaking more broadly, GLG's culture is gradually changing for the better and becoming a different company. I am optimistic it will only continue to improve. That said, you may or may not enjoy working here mostly because of your direct manager and the chain of leadership filtering above that individual. To speak briefly about the company's history, GLG has always done a great job of hiring intelligent people. Unfortunately, the company also prioritized hiring book smart people over individuals who exhibited kindness, empathy, patience, etc. As a result, the culture still has highly toxic aspects to it and highly toxic people within it (even in senior leadership positions). I'd even say some toxic new hires snuck in, but I guess that could be anywhere. DEI is huge for corporations right now and GLG is no different. I think the CEO takes it seriously and makes it a top priority. Even so, there is still a lot of work for the company to do in terms of hiring, training, creating career opportunities, valuing difference, etc. In sum, I would recommend someone work at GLG (esp. on the engineering side of the house).

Cons

..cons combined in pros section..

3. 5.0

Great Growth Opportunites

May 11, 2021 - Product Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've spent a little over 7 years here now and started as a temp working in the accounting department. My managers were always willing to help teach me the inner workings and tools they used to succeed. This helped me continue to grow and eventually jump into the product side. - Build products and apps that last and work with knowledgeable developers who want to understand the business side - Teamwork and cohesiveness with a single goal of getting the job done - Management is hands-off to allow you the best environment to work but is always willing to give you an ear and advice. They also can be great mentors because of their experience. -

Cons

- Diversity was a big concern when I first started in 2013 since leadership and peers seemed to have a common background, but this has slowly changed, and GLG seems like they are making a genuine effort. - Pre-Covid, we would have volunteer/outreach days, but the chosen organizations were never local minority-dominated neighborhoods. I hope post covid we can volunteer in these neighborhoods to show positive influences.

4. 3.0

Depends on Team

May 5, 2021 - Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked on both client-facing teams and back-end teams. These two teams have very different cultures. My back-end team has a fantastic manager, good camaraderie, and colleagues who support one another. Back-end teams are a 5/5. Beyond that, the company has handled COVID well, both as a business and as far as being an employee is concerned. GLG also supports movement within the company, which offers good growth opportunities.

Cons

Many client-facing teams suffer from deeply toxic cultures that will throw anyone under the bus. There is almost no teamwork outside of your immediate unit, and there is a big "us vs them" mentality that, while maybe not actively encouraged, is at least not actively discouraged by people in leadership positions. When problems arise, instead of looking to solve issues leaders look to assign blame. Hours are long, the workload is unmanageable, and once again leadership has done little to remedy this. There is a genuine anti-intellectual bias. Client-facing teams are 0/5.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Committed to the long haul

May 6, 2021 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my career, I have never previously experienced a level of genuine concern and focus on individual emotional health that is a weekly practice at GLG. From the CEO down, there is a focus on employee morale and emotional support that is other-worldly. But incredibly, all of that is a footnote, as the ever-increasing business results seem to flow effortlessly like water from a waterfall. Business is booming, and the outlook stretches far beyond the imagination of even the most experienced financial modeler. In short, the GLG franchise is one to watch, as they appear to have invented something previously unheard of - a world-class services business that prioritizes clients above all. It seems to be working.

Cons

We need more great people.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Navigating the Pandemic and Doubling Down on Culture

Mar 30, 2021 - Senior Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Regular updates from management about the state of the business. More transparency into what’s happening in the company than ever before. - Leadership seems genuinely invested in diversity and inclusion efforts, more so than at any company I’ve worked at so far. Commitment to wellness. Daily opportunities to attend virtual sessions including yoga, strength training, meal planning, and meditation - Feeling recognized for my work. Managers and teammates use a new internal recognition platform as a way to say thanks, awarding points that can be put towards any number of real-life things.

Cons

- Longer workdays than a standard 9-5 (it is Covid after all) although the flexible time off policy does allow me to take a break when I do need to recharge. - Zoom fatigue - Uncertainty about return to office schedule - And definitely missing the coffee bar at our NY office!

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to get commercial experience early in your career

May 11, 2021 - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

GLG attracts top talent which makes for a fun, competitive, and challenging working environment. You will also receive a great deal of responsibility early in your tenure which helps young professionals develop quickly.

Cons

Hours can be long and largely varies based on which team you join. There can be issues with load balancing but this has been greatly improved since I initially joined.

8. 5.0

Career Path Opportunities

May 5, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

GLG is really supportive of their employees and takes a real interest in your desire to grow your career path. I started at GLG as a front desk receptionist and through hard work, initiative, and opportunity became a software engineer. GLG also encourages a healthy work life balance and puts health and family first.

Cons

While GLG is very supportive of career growth and upwards movement within the company, the Tech department takes some time to complete a transition from one position to the next.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredible D&I efforts and transparency through the pandemic

Apr 22, 2021 - Manager, Project Support in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

GLG has been a truly remarkable employer through the pandemic and the many challenges of the last year. In response to the national (and worldwide) reckoning with racial injustice and systemic racism, GLG took a stand in several ways. One of the most impactful was when they held an open forum/conversation around race where 600+ employees who opted to join the call could openly share their stories to help other GLGers gain an understanding of the Black experience in America. Though this was a challenging conversation, it broke the discussion wide open within the GLG community, rather than sweeping it under the rug (which I’ve unfortunately heard as a common theme from friends at other organizations). GLG also launched several diversity networks, one of which being the LGBTQIA+ network that I was happy to join myself. The diversity networks host events to help educate and enlighten the GLG community around the experiences of employees of different races, backgrounds, gender identities, and walks of life, ensuring all employees feel seen for those unique experiences. Additionally, through the pandemic, GLG has kept every employee updated on the state of the business. I could not have asked for more transparency from leadership, as they hosted a company-wide meeting on a weekly basis to share updates and explain business forecasts, especially when the initial dip in the economy occurred, and many of us just wanted answers. GLG was always forthcoming with those answers, even if they were hard messages to share. Pretty incredible that a company was able to navigate a pandemic, keeping all of its employees in the loop, while simultaneously launching robust, sweeping D&I initiatives. I could not ask for more as an employee!

Cons

GLG is an incredible place to work, do not have cons on my end

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't go in expecting too much

May 8, 2021 - Senior Client Solutions Associate in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent for a first job People are generally pleasant They have their process down pat

Cons

Super repetitive, mindless work involving tons of emails and phone calls Unrealistic expectations for recruiting Huge amount of personal organization required to keep everything straight. Not much interaction or relationhip building with clients Required to respond to client emails within unrealistic time frames, even on late evenings and weekends.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 963 Reviews