Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

3.4
Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen
Pros
  • "We get bonus checks twice a year(in 169 reviews)

• "profit sharing checks (2 a year) (80-200 dollars)(in 156 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Part time schedules can vary a lot(in 100 reviews)

• "long hours to be standing at a register(in 76 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Harris Teeter and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Harris Teeter

Apr 29, 2021 - Barnes and Noble in Fayetteville, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good clean environment for everyone.

Cons

It has Less Working Experience

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Job, dont apply if you expect to only bag (actually read the job details)

Apr 13, 2021 - Grocery Bagger in California, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, not too difficult of work, flexibility in hours. Duties include collecting carts, taking out trash and recycling, cleaning breakroom and restocking bathrooms, sweeping the floors. All relatively light work. Never had an issue with taking my 15 minute break or using the bathroom when I need to. Monthly we get 2-3 Harris Teeter brand grocery items for free to try out using our associate VIC card, along with a 10% discount on all Harris Teeter brands. 100% enjoyed working here and would work for Harris Teeter again. Always seem to need more people with midday weekday availability since many people only work weekends or night due to school, definably would suggest applying if you are available for those hours as you'll get a decent amount of hours each week. My hours ranged from 15-27 hours a week which was perfect for me. My pay after taxes and retirement contribution (11% with an additional %2 by the company) usually came out to about $130-260 a week. Ended up getting most of my taxes back too due to me being a student and other factors. Other associates are friendly and welcoming especially at customer service, cashiers, and fresh foods. Cashiers usually willing to help out if you're behind on carts or other tasks if they are free.

Cons

Must have availability on Sundays (wasn't an issue for me, may be for others), Each shift's experience will very by which manager is on duty. High turnover and understaffed due to hiring lots of high-schoolers who quit when they realize there are other duties besides just bagging groceries.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Long term careers are not worth it

Apr 30, 2021 - Assistant Customer Service Management in Mount Pleasant, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, paid time off, vacation hours as well, 401k growth opportunities

Cons

Abysmal discipline system. Uninvolved district management, lack of consistency across multiple stores in one district.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Alright Pay For Me. On Call scheduling is unbearable. Co-Workers Are Awesome While Upper Management Doesn’t Seem To Care

May 3, 2021 - Cashier/Bagger/Dairy Department Stock
      Business Outlook

Pros

A good chunk of the customers are nice. The pay is great at least for me being a student. Co-workers are very helpful and customer service clerks are always there when you need them. The I guess clerks or customer service front end managers are always there for you when you need them and always helping out whenever.

Cons

First of my complaints are on calls. With an On-Call you would think that your supervisor would call you when the store needs more on-clock but no. You have to take time out of your day to literally call the store, ask if they need you, and then get a response. This doesn’t make any sense at all and literally undermines the definition of what on-call means. I myself have NEVER been told until later in my employment that on-call meant that I needed to call in. It’s stupid and dumb. When i’m off and using my days off for school they’re so quick to call me when they need help but as soon i’m on call I suddenly need to call in. It’s stupid and I literally see no purpose behind that. The scheduling is confusing.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

A good first job and something to hold you over if you are looking for one

May 16, 2021 - Front End Cashier in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always had hours available and job security already having job experience prior to COVID.

Cons

Because I was part-time and there were so many new employees, it was hard to actually get consistent hours.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

meh

May 10, 2021 - Daytime Stocker
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very nice people, never had an issue with my management or coworkers. - Flexible schedule, very understanding if you need to call out or have a sudden schedule change. - Fairly simple job to perform, not difficult. - Good job for young people just looking to make extra spending money.

Cons

- Overworked and underpaid, very clearly profit over people. Come home in pain every night. Very physically taxing job that needs more than a single break, even for shorter shifts. - Their training videos encourage you to confront thieves and active shooters?? - Dreadfully, soul-suckingly boring. Shifts drag by some days. - Preach "inclusivity" but will threaten your job if you dye your hair or get a piercing. Enforces the stereotype that people with more wild styles are "dangerous" and have poor work ethic.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

great place to work for

May 15, 2021 - Front Desk Receptionist in Silver Spring, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

willing to work with your schedule

Cons

people call out don't want to work

8. 5.0

Great Company

May 16, 2021 - Customer Service in Clayton, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

bonuses, friendly management, cares about associates

Cons

not many cons that i can think of

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Job for Students; Not for Professionals.

May 7, 2021 - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Schedule. Fair Benefits. Profit Sharing Semi-Annually. Great way to meet and converse with new people. High level of customer return rate allows for good customer relations.

Cons

Schedule is TOO flexible. Regular recurring excessive tardiness and absenteeism. Very, very slow (almost non-existent) recruiting process. Employees are placed only where there is immediate/short term need as opposed to long-term projected growth and career goals.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good First Job

May 14, 2021 - Cashier in Wake Forest, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-good pay if you just got your license -decent hours -friendly staff -easy to work your way up

Cons

-if you want a real job, avoid cashier

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,072 Reviews