Holiday Inn Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2019

3.3
Keith Barr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Meeting new people is defiantly the best part" (in 34 reviews)

• "Calm, relaxed work environment that is good for all types of employees" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits for housekeepers here" (in 50 reviews)

• "Front desk area needs to be closed in and only assessable to workers" (in 37 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts you get at hotels are unmatched. I travel moderately and it's great to get cheap rooms at any IHG property.

Cons

Depends on your GM/ Owner.

Advice to Management

Pay fairly and better.

2. "Hospitality was on point"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Hurricane, WV
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Hurricane, WV

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was lovely and understandable. they became a family.

Cons

The owner never really wanted to give his housekeeper a raise for working so hard for him.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in McCall, ID
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in McCall, ID

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced and energetic work place. Great management and staff.

Cons

Health insurance is a little pricy.

4. "Housekeeper"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Moultrie, GA
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Moultrie, GA

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall customers are good but some can be unpleasant

Cons

Employer doesn't appreciate the hard work that goes into preparing the rooms in a timely manner. Employees are not getting a decent wage for the amount of work that is being contributed each day.

Advice to Management

Have respect for your employees and understand that some rooms take longer to clean depending on the nature of how dirty the room can possibly be.

5. "Good start in Hospitality"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

People Location Bonuses Flexible Fun

Cons

Low pay for industry standards

6. "Great"

Former Employee - Housekeeper
    Former Employee - Housekeeper

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

The breaks and structure of the work environment

Cons

None at all as far as I know

Advice to Management

Be paitent

7. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Forest, MS
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Forest, MS

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting and interacting with different people daily

Cons

Benefits would be a big plus

8. "Worst job experience ever and that's saying a lot."

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Oneonta, NY
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Oneonta, NY

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet people from all over.
    MOST staff was nice and worked as a team.

Cons

Where do I start. Managers who can't properly staff.
    Managers that tell you you're doing great only to tell you a day later you're not good enough and they let you go without warning and without you violating any policies. Then refuse to give a specific reason for it when confronted other than it was "the company's decision". A cop out generic answer.
    Special treatment to some because of relations to higher up managers/owners ie. Talking on cell phones while working and not on break against company policy.
    Extremely poor communication from managers.
    Absentee department managers.
    Employees speaking to each other in other languages so others can't understand them despite proficiently speaking English. I can understand parts of other languages, however using it to talk behind someone's back is callous and rude.
    Absolutely the worst orientation I have ever had.
    Absolutely zero setup for success.

Advice to Management

Do all computer training before an employee even sets foot on the floor. I was given two hours my second week in and still had 59 training lessons to go then was not allowed time to get through the lessons posted.
    My first day I was sent up to clean without any lessons and following people who had such thick accents it was about impossible to understand them.
    One day of hands on training like that is not nearly good to become proficient at a job you've never done before.
    Managers, give your employees a straight answer instead of a cop out "safe" answer when someone asks why with zero warning they are being cut despite working hard, not violating policies, being punctual, being polite and respectful to guests and coworkers, having spotless rooms and even having guests compliment your work one even telling the front desk "That's a great employee there. Made me feel right at home" and saying he would return someday to stay.
    I feel I was lied to about this whole process and why I was let go.
    I feel like I was told I would be given more training then all of a sudden the rug was pulled out when I did nothing wrong. Why say I want to train you for xyz and order you a uniform then the next day I'm suddenly not good enough for anything?
    Schedule appropriate staff levels for workload expected. 80 room checkouts and skeleton staff, splitting a new employee between two departments and expecting in three hours to have 40 rooms done is an insane expectation! Especially given that was my third day in a new job/position!
    Set realistic goals and standards!!!!
    As someone else said, no regard for a room being trashed and taking longer to clean than another room. I get high expectations, however 10 minutes is not enough time to properly redo an entire trashed check out room, especially to someone getting their feet wet.
    Keep the same standards for EVERY employee instead of playing favorites.
    Not allowing employees to talk behind others backs in other languages that may or may not be understood by other employees when said employees speak English proficiently.
    Did I say better training yet?
    Give new employees a realistic expectation of time to be proficient and don't expect them to excel at a job after one day of horrible "orientation".
    Have a system for success for a new employee! Someone brand new to this industry should not be expected to know and understand it all in seven working days. Totally unrealistic. Most companies have a three month probationary period for a reason. Seven days of actual work time is not nearly enough time to understand and create a good system for being proficient at any new career or job.
    Hey management, follow the handbook for instances like what happened to me. I did not violate any rules and was told I was doing good and rooms looked great, managers words, not mine. According to my book, I should have at least gotten spoken to first if my work wasn't up to what it should be and a plan set in place to correct and help me succeed.

Final disclaimer to readers: I realize not every single Holiday Inn Express is like this, however this one was awful. Never again, IHG. Lost a hard working employee willing to work hard and make guests want to come back to horrible management and standards. I do have a management degree. I am trying to change careers to the hospitality industry and work up from the bottom to understand each position in detail and set realistic expectations for staff, especially new staff. For the location I was at, I have a better idea to successfully train and treat staff than this place did. This was awful.

9. "ok"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Deming, NM
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Deming, NM

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

easy job, flexible schedule sometimes

Cons

unorganized at times, no communication between departments

10. "do not look for professionalism in this company"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

there were "some" opportunities but those only went to employees that where "friendly" with upper management

Cons

there are a thousand cons, too may to list

Advice to Management

be professional, look for talent and reward those that work hard and are qualified