HomeAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
HomeAdvisor CEO Chris Terrill
Chris Terrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent benefits and a great work life balance (9-6) (in 20 reviews)

• Great people to work with and always friendly (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Other then the normal call center gossipers (in 19 reviews)

• Ridiculously horrible job security, turn over rate is out of this world (in 10 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Free lunch and dinner and fun work environent

Cons

Everything that comes with a sales job

Jan 12, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for the review. I hope you find a career and role you enjoy, and best of luck. -- Brad Fosser, VP Sales, Golden, CO

2. "Online Sales Consultant"

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

base pay and commission is awesome

Cons

evrything that comes witht the sales job

Advice to Management

one

3. "Outbound CSR"

Current Employee - Outbound Customer Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Outbound Customer Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, fun work environment

Cons

Low pay, making outbound calls.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing, all of the employees are amazing. Everyone is always willing to help.

Cons

I think they should give the new people time to ramp up and figure it out instead of putting them on Performance papers. Your losing money if you keep hiring and hiring versus investing in employees who may be struggling.

Advice to Management

I have the best manager ever who constantly coaches and motivated us. But there should be on going training for all employees.

Jan 2, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It is great to know you feel inspired and supported by your co-workers and managers. A career in sales can certainly be difficult, and I appreciate your... More

5. "it doesn't matter how good you are, you are just a number"

Current Employee - Sales in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy working environment, nothing more

Cons

Money is under average, and they ask you a huge number of sales per week.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you cant deliver.

Jan 12, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Appreciate the review. It is incredibly important to us to create a competitive work environment where our employees feel motivated and supported, and I encourage you to reach out to your manager or... More

6. "Sales Consultant/Account Manager"

Pros

I can honestly say there is not a better office culture in any office I've ever been in. Everybody gets along, it is very relaxed, and all share the same goals. Good base pay, commission structure, and incentives. You can make a lot of money here if you are good at sales and listen to your managers. With that being said, this job is not for the faint hearted. You will have to be motivated or you will not succeed. Decent benefits and a great work life balance (9-6). Free lunch and dinner as well and I cannot say enough how the group energy in the office really does make you want to come to work everyday.

Cons

This is an inside sales job which means tons of cold calling. You are managing your own accounts that you sell to. You must sell to make money here, if you consistently sell you will see your bank account rise and people will notice your effort. This is uncapped sales which means some weeks you bring home literally 5000 in your pocket and other times you bring home 1000. It is not for everyone but if it is for you, you will make money. Some of the training could be better as far as managing the actual accounts once you sell to them. Overall, the pros far outweigh the cons and I highly recommend this job.

Advice to Management

Just let the trainers teach you how to manage and properly set up accounts to current homeadvisor members. Also, in the interview you have to mention how this is 100% inside sales, as some people still cannot tell when they join and waste both parties' time. Increase the base pay if you stay for 6 months, 1 year, etc. That would really motivate people to sell more! But other than that I love this company and what you guys have made.

Jan 2, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for the great review. It is incredibly encouraging to know you feel motivated by the perks and compensation opportunities we’ve built into our sales environment. We work hard to set our... More

"Sales rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and dinner
    Wear jeans and T-shirt if you want
    Nice people
    Cool workplace
    Good benefits and ways to win raffles

Cons

Commission on your own
    Boring
    So boring
    Sooooo boring
    You really have to put in more than 9-6 to make lots of money

Jan 12, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for the review. While I’m glad to read that you are enjoying some of our great perks, I’m sorry to hear you read that you are finding your role to be boring. Sales is certainly a challenging... More

"Sales - grass is not greener"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wasn't till i left did i realize how much i value culture over a few extra Bucks. great people and strong leadership recently brought in who have completely turned the place around. Outstanding Benefits, and we just bought out Angies list which shows how innovative and growth oriented the company is. my new position makes me value how Colorado Springs new head of sales actually Put people First - which in my new role its a stark Difference. I hope this does not change as its really the main reason i know people are sticking around.

Cons

Tech issues - for being a tech company it is mind boggling how many IT issues we had - to the point it would honestly take up 2/3 hours a day just spinning my fingers. Also the pay is Very low compared to A lot of other companies that are in the area - this is the main reason i left... fix the pay issues and you will have better talent come in and retain more people.

Advice to Management

- as skeptical as i was about bringing people in from the "outside" this was one of the best decisions the company has made in a while! we will see just how long they stick around or get corrupted by others... Also i would share more of whats going on behind the sense more - i always feel like i was never up to date on new product changes, office updates, company projects. it was getting so hard to make a "real" sale with the amount of dupes in our database - seems like all my manager did was fight for every sale and i could not see this stopping any time soon.

i do miss the NEW Colorado Springs since new leadership came in and i would be lying if at times i think about coming back - but want to see how long this can last down here before a pull the trigger - people are happy and like how much things have changed but for how long??

Dec 19, 2017 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for your honest review. We really do value culture so much, and putting our employees first is such an important part of that! We work hard to create a competitive sales environment, and I... More

"Entry Level... ADVERTISING Sales Job"

Former Employee - Advertising Account Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Advertising Account Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, friendly management, sales training and decent health benefits, good job for anyone who is interesting in getting started into a sales position that does not already have much experience.

Cons

This "executive sales" position requires making hundreds of daily phone calls to contractors and business owners to sell them on a lead generation program. Needless to say, most business owners are very busy and do not have time or patients to listen to another cold call solicitation. HA has hundreds of sales reps who are calling on the exact same list, over and over and over, to the point that a lot of the business owners are not happy when they answer the phone and hear the name Home Advisor. This position is definitely entry level sales and for someone who does not mind the robot mentality and making extensive and exhaustive daily cold calls. Also, for those who are not able to accomplish a minimum number of weekly sales, you will be placed into warning or disciplinary cycles that seem to challenge a lot of the sales reps due to unrealistic company goals....based upon their poor lead generation system....complete COLD CALLING. The pay and commission structure is extremely limited, especially for six figure earning, seasoned sales pros. During my tenure, the feedback I received from several of my colleagues, the average yearly earnings fall around $50-$60 K yearly. Extremely loud, invasive music is played ALL DAY long, which can be extremely distracting, combined with the typically BOILER ROOM sales office. For obvious reasons, the overall environment creates a very HIGH TURNOVER RATE.

Advice to Management

Improve your lead generation system and your commission pay structure. Be more honest about the average income potential for most sales reps....there are and have been certain HA reps who are heavily recruiting potential future candidates for incentive purposes, who are indicating this is a solid six figure opportunity and that is clearly NOT the current case....rather far from it.

Jan 2, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for the feedback. We work hard to provide employees with a competitive and motivating sales career, and I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t a good fit for you. Best of luck in your next role. — Tom... More

10. "Sales"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good base pay, nice office, great people.

Cons

Tough leads, not always equal footing. Better training to equip reps. Give more of a chance to hard working people.

Advice to Management

Work with reps that show will and drive to succeed. It takes more than 3 months to figure this out.

Jan 2, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Appreciate the honest review. A career in sales can be challenging, and I hope we were able to address any concerns you had regarding training or support while you were on the team. Best of luck... More