HomeAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
HomeAdvisor CEO Chris Terrill
Chris Terrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, great environment" (in 25 reviews)

• "Surrounded by great people that make you look forward to going to the office every day" (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't let management try to convince you of otherwise - it's absolute high pressure slam bam call center sales" (in 23 reviews)

• "I let you know when I experienced a "Con" to working at Home Advisor" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, schedule, environment, culture, management, annual zoo outing, center lunches, free soda, great health benefits, energy, free coffee, in office store, pool table, ping pong table, gym, keg/happy hour....Just to name a few.
    When I started working at HomeAdvisor I had no idea what to expect. What I found was a company who cared about and appreciated it's employees. I had fun at work. I felt like I was important and making a difference. It's a company that gives back what you give and more. HomeAdvisor has made an impact on my life in so many wonderful ways and taking a chance to work there was the best decision I have ever made.

Cons

When I say there are no cons, I mean it. This place is everything you will never find anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first and making a difference!

HomeAdvisor Response

Mar 5, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. It is absolutely incredible to know that HomeAdvisor has made such a positive impact on your life. We are dedicated to putting our employees... More

2. "Employee at Home Advisor 4yrs - The ONLY reason I am no longer with this company is due to medical reason."

Former Employee - Sales/Account Manager/Sales in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Sales/Account Manager/Sales in Lenexa, KS

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home Advisor is an AMAZING place to work. This company DOES care about their employees & their health. SO YES you earn your sick time over 6months but, they do NOT have sick people under their desk just because they do not have sick time. There is a difference between sick and uncomfortable. YES IT IS COMPETITIVE.. Fast paced, work environment & no it is not for everyone. What I do know is Home Advisor cares about there employees & the benefits alone are worth the weight in gold. This company gives.. gives..gives.. If you just do your job! In my time with this company I made friends for life.. I learned SO much.. I made money that I never thought would be possible to make at my age. My retention was GREAT with my contractors.. If you are up front and tell your contractors how it works and show them how to work the leads.. This works!! I have had a contractor that was a 1 man company and 2 years later he has 2 locations and 23 employees so, it is true when people say Home Advisor changes lives.. It change my life and my contractors. I was promoted to an Account Manager for 1yr during the "test" run at the KS location. I was the person that spoke to the contractor AFTER the sale... There are sales consultants that dont explain the entire process but, that is NOT the company or managers or the directors fault.. That is the consultant. This company rewards its employees with give aways.. Jeeps.. Super bowl tickets.. Money & Beer Friday. I couldn't say enough great things about this company. I received the CORE value award in my time there.. I nominated them for Best Job In KC.. and FYI they have WON multiple times. I was sad when I couldn't return to H.A. after medical reasons.. But, for 6months they continued to pay my medical and do what they could to know I was welcomed back as soon as I was released. I look forward to the day I can go back to work & if you have the GRIND mentality & you like making money, friends, and have a career then HOME ADVISOR is the Best Place In KC to Work!! #ChangingLives

Cons

I let you know when I experienced a "Con" to working at Home Advisor..

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! Haters will hate.. and the experience I was given was AMAZING and I am so thankful for ALL the KC managers and directors as well as the sales floor. I learned so much and I miss it everyday!

"Good People, Lots of numbers to hit."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Golden, CO

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Relaxed dress codes, standing desks. Manager are nice and care a lot about their teams.

Cons

repetitive tasks (calling 300 prospects a day). Although the system can work HomeAdvisor has a bad reputation among some contractors and you might get insults or people telling you that you are a scam over the phone.

Advice to Management

This is the best "big corporation" job that I've had and I'm thankfull for it. My advice to management is to make the consumer end of the system more contractor friendly so we wont have as many people saying we are a scam. It would definitely help our sales.

"Senior sales consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, culture, opportunity to grow

Cons

Gets little chaotic and loud music in sales office, instability in commission sales

Advice to Management

Lower the volume music in sales

5. "Sales"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

High energy atmosphere with a very supportive management team. Would recommend this to anyone willing to work hard and who don't mind cold calling.

Cons

Cold calling and getting turned down constantly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. "Good for a call center"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great energy, culture is awesome

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement

"Elite360 HomeAdvisor program"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Salary was good, got to work from home and met some good people.

Cons

Unrealistic monthly goals, leads not working for the pro's- like pay for 10 leads and 1 is good and no clear direction for success in place.

Advice to Management

I know that you acquired Angie's List but you let go of a lot of talented people. Take a minute and look at your churn and burn tactics, it's going to catch up to you.

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think there are departments that treat their employees well, and that have a positive culture, but I unfortunately wasn't in a department like that. The biggest pro of working at HomeAdvisor, and really the only one I can think of is that there are some really great people that work there.

Cons

Employees are treated with no respect. Leadership is laughable. From the very very top all the way to the bottom. The things I heard C level execs, SVP's, VP's etc say/speak about were jarringly inappropriate. I've heard members of sales teams, sales leadership, and most notably members of the HR team make racist and sexist comments. Not to mention, almost everyone in positions of power at HomeAdvisor, are in those positions not based off of merit but based off of how long they've been at the company. They promote based off loyalty not qualifications, and that's why the company is an absolute mess. There is no organization, no formal processes, no formal policies. There is very high turnover not just in sales, but in all departments. You'll frequently see advertisements and posts about how HomeAdvisor is hiring because of growth, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Turnover is insanely high so they can't keep the offices fully staffed. Overall, I did not feel valued or like I was working in a safe space.

Advice to Management

Do trainings with your leadership about sexual harassment, racism, discrimination etc.. It's 2018, and things like that are not ok, especially if you want to tout yourselves as a great place for millennials to work. Work on overall organization of the company, because it very often feels like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Just listen to your employees more, and admit when you're wrong. Instead of reading this post and feeling attacked, listen to it, and make changes to make your company better. I frequently felt like employee feedback if at all negative was met with defensiveness and not taken as an opportunity to learn and grow.

"Make Home Advisor Great Again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

People, insurance benefits, fun fridays.

Cons

Mostly absent Clevel Senior management.
    Very poor communication and support from senior management.
    Poor alignment of senior management across departments.
    Senior mnagement think culture is pool tables & ping pong.
    Employees and middle management stretched too thin.
    Inability to hire and retain develpers.
    Decline in morale since acquiring Angies List.
    Company focused on revenue at expense of customers.
    Company ratings declining.
    Poor compensation.

Advice to Management

Executive management should wake up before it falls apart.

"sales asoociate"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

good community
    good people
    great music
    culture is fantastic and fun

Cons

phones
    boring
    brutal
    commission if you want to make ends meet
    work hours are terrible

Advice to Management

cant make a bad job fun
    find a better way