HomeAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HomeAdvisor CEO Chris Terrill
Chris Terrill

Pros
  • The teams here are driven and you're expected to perform at a high level but, there's still a generous work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great company, great people to work with (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Other then the normal call center gossipers (in 15 reviews)

• There are constant threats to job security (people are fired or quit almost daily) and are replaced almost instantly (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Couldn't ask for more!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Leadership is the strongest it has ever been! They finally get it. They treat us like adults, and expect us to uphold our end of the bargain and work hard to get paid HUGE COMMISSIONS!
    People ~ Fun/High Energy ~ Comp Structure (100K real potential as a sales consultant) ~ Growing opportunities to move up or within.
    Working with HomeAdvisor has been some of the best years in my sales career. You have a training program that establishes a great foundation for you. Management is some of the best I've ever worked with. They never hesitate to jump on the phones and show you how it's done. Your Directors are up and down the rows high fiving and talking with everyone, even coaching you if needed. I've never felt so excited about the direction of the company, the culture is awesome, and can't say enough about the leadership always going above and beyond to find ways to reengage us with uplifting meetings, words of encouragement, contests, cash spiffs, awards, trophies... the list goes on.
    Hats off to what you all have been able to do! Can't wait to see what's next and be an even bigger part of it as we dominate the industry.

Cons

Let's be honest... It's sales... it is a lot of work and a daily grind! Some people that cry around here about HA not being all it's cracked up to be seem to me to be the ones that really don't want to work for it and feel entitled to having an easier way to the top! Sales probably isn't a good fit for them here or anywhere!
    If you commit to working hard every day, and surround yourself with a good support system of people that want to succeed... you're Golden and are well on your way to making 6 figures with HomeAdvisor!

Advice to Management

Your energy is appreciated! Keep it up and we will own Angie soon enough!

Aug 8, 2016 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

Thank you for the review. We certainly do our best to provide incentives to our sales team for their hard work, and create a culture our employees enjoy! –Brad Fosser, VP Sales

2. "Great money"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are able to stay motivated & ambitious you will make a TON of money. There are regular sales people there making 250k (I've seen the paychecks myself).

Cons

Extremely repetitive and tedious work.

Advice to Management

Hire mature adults rather than just good sales people. Is one thing to know how to sell and another to manage 15 adults.

3. "Brand Ambassator"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassator in Tampa, FL

Pros

flexible hours great work from home opportunity.

Cons

very busy, very high call volume.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work,

5. "I really enjoyed my time at HANY"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, the people in the office are great! I made so many friends that made coming to work everyday so easy. Second, FREE FOOD! The company pays for your meals for both lunch and dinner. Third, unlimited commission. You have the opportunity to make way more than any other entry level job. Fourth, FREE BEER!

Cons

This is very much and inside sales position. You will be spending your time dialing a phone and trying to sign people up with the service. The job is not glamorous, but if you work hard you can make so so so much money.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 19, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

Thanks for the great review. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the New York office culture and earning opportunities. Best of luck with your next role. –Ken Grisback, VP Sales

6. "Great place to work in IT"

Current Employee - Director of Technical Operations in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Technical Operations in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Events, benefits, vacation policy, a company that truly cares about their employees. For IT I don't think you could ask for a more exciting place to work on Denver. You will want to come to work everyday because the work you do guides and shapes the company and the product. Your not a employee number your a team member!

Cons

Only a con if you want to be a IT person that just sits back and blends into the background, so you just show up to collect a paycheck and go home.

Advice to Management

Keep up with our product growth by expanding the support teams, and there will be no challenge that is to great to meet. Amazing job staying connected to your employees, just keep doing what you do and we will follow.

May 15, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

Wow, thank you for the great review and feedback. We have the highest respect and appreciation for our employees and I am glad to hear you enjoy the company benefits and culture. Happy to have you on ... More

7. "Up and Down"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for almost 2 years. I really like it here! If you hit your numbers you can pretty much make your own schedule. Lots of chances to make some good money.

Cons

A huge part of this job is prospecting your own leads but the company has grown so fast you have to FIGHT to get them from our other centers.

Advice to Management

Slow down there is always room for growth just make sure your not pushing the people out that have been loyal.

8. "Online Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company pretty much supports you in every way possible to set you up for success. Pretty good benefits/perks of working here. Casual office environment is pretty good for people who dont like to dress formal all the time.

Cons

Sales training on the phones isn't always the best because you're usually in a class of around 10-12 people so it's really up to you to progress as much as you can. Sales is a rough sport not for the faint hearted, however if you can handle it the rewards are pretty appealing.

Advice to Management

Teach some basic background info about the target demographic

May 2, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

Thanks for your review, I appreciate the feedback about sales training. I’m glad to hear you feel supported in your role and enjoy the environment of the office. Happy to have you on the team. –Ken ... More

"Lovely laziness"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lax work hours, as long as you get something done during the week
    - No accountability.

Cons

- People are always late to work
    - Something is always broken, nothing stay fixed for long

May 15, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

I work really hard to make sure that this is a fun, hardworking environment with plenty of intellectual challenges and a flexible work policy. Sorry to hear that you are not challenged. I’d love to ... More

"High Volume Phone Sales in tiny Cubicles"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Golden, CO

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

They offer a competitive base salary

Cons

High pressure and shady sales tactics. Although it is all about helping other people achieve greater things with their business, often times the contractors have no idea how to use the service and are getting charged for all the leads which leads to lots of problems down the road. Also, working on a floor with hundreds of other people is annoying. Everyone is always sick. Lots of politics.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who made lots of sales to management just because they made lots of sales.

May 15, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

It’s disappointing to hear you felt this way about management during your time with the company. We take pride in the skills of our managers to give employees the proper training and information for ... More

11. "Online Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An amazing atmosphere, great people, managers are fun to work with. Beer on fridays for those who hit budget. Great benefits

Cons

Well, being on the phone all day sucks, but you get that anywhere with a cold calling plan in place.

Apr 21, 2017 – HomeAdvisor Team Member

Thanks for the review, I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the atmosphere, benefits, and people. –Tom Cheatham, VP Sales