HomeAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 8, 2018

3.4
Brandon Ridenour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, great environment" (in 25 reviews)

• "Surrounded by great people that make you look forward to going to the office every day" (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "Don't let management try to convince you of otherwise - it's absolute high pressure slam bam call center sales" (in 24 reviews)

• "I let you know when I experienced a "Con" to working at Home Advisor" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, schedule, environment, culture, management, annual zoo outing, center lunches, free soda, great health benefits, energy, free coffee, in office store, pool table, ping pong table, gym, keg/happy hour....Just to name a few.
    When I started working at HomeAdvisor I had no idea what to expect. What I found was a company who cared about and appreciated it's employees. I had fun at work. I felt like I was important and making a difference. It's a company that gives back what you give and more. HomeAdvisor has made an impact on my life in so many wonderful ways and taking a chance to work there was the best decision I have ever made.

Cons

When I say there are no cons, I mean it. This place is everything you will never find anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first and making a difference!

HomeAdvisor Response

Mar 5, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. It is absolutely incredible to know that HomeAdvisor has made such a positive impact on your life. We are dedicated to putting our employees... More

2. "I love it here"

Current Employee - Marketing Senior Advisor in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing Senior Advisor in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money, Atmosphere,growth, management is great

Cons

Drive to work for me

Advice to Management

None

3. "Sales"

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Great culture, great perks, cool people

Cons

Cold call grind, desk job

"Incredible opportunity to grow your carrer"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started working at HomeAdvisor I had no idea what I wanted to do with my career and sales seemed like a good route to go. Joining HomeAdvisor turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made and opened up a world of opportunities later on. I genuinely woke up everyday excited to go to work and had a great time doing it. The company/office has a very fun laid back culture and you can make a ton of money if you are willing to put in the work. In my 2 years at HomeAdvisor I learned some extremely valuable skills that ended up landing me a newer job that I would have never been able to reach without my time here. I can honestly say I wouldn't change anything and if you are thinking about taking the job, give it a shot and don't look back. Free Lunch and Dinners, Happy Hours, beer after work and you get to meet some incredible people. I am truly grateful for my time at HomeAdvisor and wouldn't change it for anything.

Cons

Cold Calling - The name of the game in sales, if you can do it you will make money.
    Promotions - Only so many management spots available so its VERY difficult to continue to move it.

Advice to Management

create more levels for more tenured sales reps that can't necessarily get or want a management positions (ROMEs ETC) so they have a chance to increase their base pay. Other than that keep doing what your doing.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can make it, good money.

Cons

If you can't make it, a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Prospect leads

6. "It was a good inside sales / phone Job"

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Lots of Contests and positive encouragement

Cons

not big on cash payments for goals met

Advice to Management

Give meaningful Cash compensation when company goals are exceeded

"Revolving Door for Hungry Post-Grads"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* It was a really fun environment (keg in the office on some fridays, happy hours, etc) and they do a good job at making the day easily digestible with breaks throughout the day.
    * Commission structure was nice (if you were making it).
    * Always some kind of competition going on to keep you motivated.

Cons

* If you weren't successful right away, you won't get the help to become successful.
    * I didn't have any individual meetings with my manager until my last week of employment.
    * Once received an email that read "are you willing to do what it takes to be successful - at all costs? (moral and ethical)" and I thought that was odd coming from my manager
    * There's a heavy drinking culture, which was never a problem for me, but I can see how some people might shy away from the office happy hours.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking to your team members individually. Listen to their struggles and talk about that stuff with them. Constant feedback is key to their growth. Get the new people off to a good start and help them keep that momentum through the rough times.

"OK Place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at HomeAdvisor (More than a year)

Pros

-Good company culture
    -Good incentives
    - Pay is great

Cons

-Systems are often crashing & employees expected to pick up the slack
    -Unexpected changes to comp plans
    -The company is not transparent about what other depts. are doing with submitted sales

Advice to Management

Fix the phone systems because as a cold calling company this is unacceptable.

"It was cut throat and they don't care."

Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a very positive work environment if you are able to defeat your own conscious.

Cons

I really tried to make sales when I was working at HomeAdvisor most recently. I had an expectation that I failed to meet which led them to let me go. It was quite literally the perfect job for me, location, job itself, environment, etc. But I failed to meet their expectation which devastated me. I really tried so hard, I did everything in my power to succeed but it wasn't enough. My coworkers tried to help me, my supervisor tried to help me, I dug for my own leads, I called and called but still couldn't make it happen. It literally broke my heart to fail and I still don't understand what I did wrong. I don't understand why I failed. I always try so hard, without fail, my expectations of myself are always higher than the expectations that are set for me. So failure is not an option and it never happens. However this time it happened. I was informed by more than one person that my supervisor could have kept me if he felt that I could succeed moving forward. He chose to not to which made me feel as if there was something more seriously wrong with me outside of my initial failure to meet the quota. Hence my current state of disarray. I not only failed but I wasn't worth saving. It's a bummer to the highest degree.

Advice to Management

Try to improve your work environment enough to give people the opportunity to improve their performance.

10. "Online Sales Consultant"

Pros

Great start to a sales career and get to learn about how to be fluid talking on the phone and objection handling

Cons

You will be making about 150-200 cold calls every day with non stop rejection

Advice to Management

Keep it up!