HomeAdvisor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
HomeAdvisor CEO Chris Terrill
Chris Terrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, great environment" (in 23 reviews)

• "great people and strong leadership recently brought in who have completely turned the place around" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Other then the normal call center gossipers" (in 22 reviews)

• "Home Advisor can bring to their company" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, schedule, environment, culture, management, annual zoo outing, center lunches, free soda, great health benefits, energy, free coffee, in office store, pool table, ping pong table, gym, keg/happy hour....Just to name a few.
    When I started working at HomeAdvisor I had no idea what to expect. What I found was a company who cared about and appreciated it's employees. I had fun at work. I felt like I was important and making a difference. It's a company that gives back what you give and more. HomeAdvisor has made an impact on my life in so many wonderful ways and taking a chance to work there was the best decision I have ever made.

Cons

When I say there are no cons, I mean it. This place is everything you will never find anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first and making a difference!

Mar 5, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. It is absolutely incredible to know that HomeAdvisor has made such a positive impact on your life. We are dedicated to putting our employees... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, great people, great management, happy hour and fun events, good pay! Very challenging

Cons

This isn’t really a con, but performance matters. U have to produce to stay!

Advice to Management

I can’t speak for all of Management, but the management team on mass ave is excellent. Very supportive, fun, and always cheering for your success

"Online Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lenexa, KS

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great atmosphere. Opportunity to make a lot of money.

Cons

Unrealistic goals are set for every rep due to the nature of the approval process.

Advice to Management

Allow employees who may be struggling but tenured to have options and opportunities to improve.

"Lack of professionalism"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Good work environment amongst peers

Cons

Hypocrisy with management, lack of communication, finger pointing rather than working to find solutions, no support from management when enforcing protocols, more work and responsibility with lack of incentive or more pay, no opportunities for advancement unless working in Denver

5. "Sales Consultant"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Fun environment, great co workers. kegs on friday

Cons

Straight up call center, expected to make over 100+ calls a day to contractors and get their social and credit card.

Advice to Management

Really nothing, they are all sales driven so any success is rewarded but it is a tough way to spend 8 hours

6. "Great Employer & Environment"

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Very intelligent people, great work environment, employee-focused amenities

Cons

Office space is a bit cramped, moving employees to a new office at the end of the year

May 23, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a great review! It’s wonderful read that you enjoy the office environment, and feel surrounded by intelligent people at work – and our new office in the River... More

"Turn and burn phone sales the old way"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time

Pros

Scale of company allowed for lowered health care costs. They usually pick centralized locations that make working a destination (but sometimes hard to park at)

Cons

Pushy processes, high stress environment, micromanagement, metric changes, glenn gary/glen ross type environment. "I woke up crying" was not an uncommon phrase to be spoken by people of all ages, genders, and work experience.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking of running your sales department like a scene out of Wolf of Wallstreet. The lack of irony when I was there was gross. Many veteran salespeople find the methodology of the current sales process shifty and ineffective for relationship building, therefor struggle with pipeline building, get frustrated, and move on. The effective salespeople were at some point thrown a bone they made good on then were rewarded without having to look back and worry.

8. "Worst place to work in Golden Co"

Former Employee - Call Center in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Call Center in Denver, CO

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very hard to find a Pro here... Maybe it is the free soda's and the vending machines? I worked there two years, and in that time failed to see a positive.

Cons

The training was rushed, as time in training was time off of call center phones, and the thousands of complains called in per day. It was terrible having to stand in line at a desk to ask a question, and plead for a credit for the Service Professional who was wrongly charged. Being scolded by your supervisors for taking too long on a call that your not allowed to hang up from...where the Service pro is screaming at you ...all reasons to pass on by this company. I breathed a sigh of great relief when I left the building for the last time. Do yourself a favor...avoid Home Advisor!

Advice to Management

Your words of encouragement go much farther than scolding them. Listen to your employees, hundreds of people cant be wrong about thousands of calls they get a day.

9. "Worst place I have ever worked"

I worked at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a drug addict or alcoholic, this place will hire you. No drug testing. Oh, and free drinks, in some of the offices.

Cons

Simply the most toxic work environment I have ever seen. This place is run by a bunch of people who are either completely unqualified to be managers, or by people who are more than willing to cheat others. Its rampant in their business model, from customer to employees. There's a reason there are lawsuits springing up all over the place against Homeadvisor.

I caught a manager who was blatantly changing the performance numbers for certain employees that were "his guys". People that sat around the entire day, doing nothing. Then at the end of the month, they were magically top performers. I tracked the daily metrics for all employees in my team, and proved where the last 2 days of the month, a bunch of the numbers magically changed. When I went to lodge a complaint with the department head, I was immediately shut down. I realized then, he was actively participating in the scam.

To say there is dysfunction in this company is an insult to the word dysfunction. Don't be fooled by the notices that they are a "top ranked" employer. Employees are told exactly what to say on these surveys, and told that things, such as the free drinks, will be taken away from them if they lose their Best Places to Work title. Employee theft is a rampant problem. This is the only place I have ever worked where I had stuff stolen off of my desk. I reported the issue to the director and HR, nothing was done because it was "a good sales rep". The Sheriff is a regular visitor to job locations, and watching people go out in cuffs is a regular thing. I could go on, but I'm hoping at this point the message is pretty clear.

Advice to Management

None. They actively cultivate this toxic environment.

10. "Best decision for me, don't understand why people get upset if they struggle, it's a clear cut sales job."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at HomeAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No matter what you are looking for, you have the ability of earning it here. Want money? Sales representatives making over $200,000 a year. Want recognition? Tons of contest and everyday recognition on metrics. Want work life balance? All summer long you make 3 sales, get the rest of the week off...PAID. Growth for you? Became a manager in 15 months due to hard work.

Cons

The job is a grind, as it should be. Any high earning jobs should be. My former manager told me that no one grows up wanting to be a telemarketer. BUT if the money is good, and the culture is great, it makes up for the grind. Grind hard = change your life.

Advice to Management

I would say the training, after training needs to be more structured ( I do know it's currently being worked on) and if there was a position for advanced training techniques or prospecting,

I also had a poor interview process for a role that I was more than qualified for, I do believe it worked in my favor, as I am very satisfied with my current employment, and know not everything can be "perfect". I had a chance to interview a second time, for the same position and I decided not to apply due to the inconsistency in the process the first go around.

May 16, 2018 – Digital PR Manager

Thanks for the review! It’s great to read about your career experience, as a role in sales certainly comes with its rewards, challenges and perks. I appreciate the honest feedback about our training... More