Hotwire Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Hotwire President Neha Parikh
Neha Parikh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance; Great engineering culture; Flexible roles (in 44 reviews)

• Hotwire is a subsidiary of Expedia and Expedia is a leader in the industry with great benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group (in 5 reviews)

• No career growth unless you are great at politics and sucking up (in 8 reviews)

"Fast pace, exciting business--huge opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hotwire has changed a lot in the past few years, and for those who enjoy having a hand in the evolution of a business, this is a really cool opportunity. As others have noted, this is a unique company because it maintains the scrappiness of a startup but has the backing and long-term focus of a mature organization. I like knowing that I truly make an impact every day and that I'm not just a cog in the machine. Some of the other pros include:
    -Lots of career growth opportunity. Many top leaders are homegrown from within Hotwire or Expedia, including our President
    -Incredibly smart, dedicated people. They challenge me to be my best every day.
    -The opportunity to learn. From different people, from different projects, and from the experience of making Hotwire better.
    -Unique product. While the travel industry is crowded, Hotwire is one of only 2 major companies offering an opaque product. As a result, we consistently have access to the lowest prices on hotels and cars anywhere--our challenge comes in figuring out how to present these deals to customers in a compelling way.
    -Exciting industry. Who doesn't love travel? I like working for a company whose product I can speak proudly about.
    -Culture of open communication and feedback. Nobody would think twice about an entry-level new hire sharing ideas with a VP or the President. Likewise, the leadership team makes every effort to solicit input at all levels of the organization
    -Great benefits and perks, including hefty vacation time, travel benefits, and a brand-new office in SF with good snacks and drinks, with tons of employee events

Cons

To get the full value out of your experience at Hotwire, you need to truly believe in what you're doing and be passionate about it. Employees who are showing up just to 'do a job' will not be satisfied with the lack of rigid structure and direction.

There's been tons of change in the last few years in terms of organizational structure, leadership, and priorities. For a lot of people, this is uncomfortable. For others, it spells opportunity.

While we do behave like a startup in many senses, we are a big established company. There is room for innovation, but we're not trying to re-invent the wheel. We know who we are and who our customer is, and our focus at this point is largely on execution. Employees looking to shoot for the moon with ideas that take us in a totally new direction might be better suited for an actual startup that is in its infancy.

Like every organization, we have challenges. They will not disappear overnight. I think our LT has done a good job of prioritizing what needs to be addressed first, but there's no doubt that certain areas of our business are a work in progress. To thrive, you need to take the long-term approach and realize that what matters most is moving toward an ideal state over time--not fixing every problem all at once.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on what makes Hotwire special, and work hard to bring in people who share this vision. Our people will be the key to our success.

"Hotwire is going places!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are going places! Employees are passionate and excited about the new business direction. Travel is one of the best businesses in the world and I couldn't be happier to be part of this team. I just joined - it's an exciting time to be at Hotwire.

Cons

No cons - very happy I joined.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

So glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Hotwire!

"Our new President is awesome"

Pros

Good work life balance and good benefits. Direction of the company has become more clear and outlook could be outstanding with good execution.

Cons

Until recent, many shifting priorities.

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

Thanks for writing a review!

"Things are changing"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique company in the exciting travel sector, start-up like with a great location in San Francisco. Some of the recent reviews look like they were written by a few disgruntled people, but that does not represent Hotwire! I have been here 3 years and am starting to see real change in the last few months.

I don’t see politics in my group- everyone is focused on getting the job done. Honestly Hotwire is one of the best places I have ever worked, for me personally. I have learned a lot and my co-workers are great. Leadership is changing for the better from what I have seen.

Cons

There has been a lot of change and lack of focus which has made it hard for the business to do well and for employees to know what to focus on. Most people don’t know the company strategy but that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Set a clear strategy and don’t change course every 4 months
    Weed out all of the negative people who are toxic to Hotwire!!! Please!!!
    Keep communicating with us

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

Thanks for your review and glad to see your largely positive experience. We are fully committed to being transparent and communicating. We welcome feedback.

5. "Software Developer"

I have been working at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Being a part of Expedia brand so inherit a lot of benefits from Expedia
    Hotwire level travel benefits.
    Newer technologies

Cons

Lack of transparency
    Lack of exposure to show talent, few people keep getting to do bigger things
    Lot of passive aggression

Advice to Management

Make connection to all geo-location. We keep hearing the top level positions have to be in HQ [San Francisco] why is that so necessary given so many remote communication technologies exist.

Be more transparent and truthful.

Avoid favoritism.

Ok we get to ask questions but many times we get bookish B.S. answer from upper managements.

Lead with examples and action. Be our leaders and not bosses.

Nov 8, 2017 – HR Director, Hotwire

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage open and honest communication that allows for development. In addition to your manager, your HR Business Partner is also available so please reach out and they... More

"Excellent Benefits and Great work-life balance"

I have been working at Hotwire full-time

Pros

"Great culture, excellent benefits, great work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of motivation in the employees.

Advice to Management

Hotwire needs to execute at all levels and value knowledge and experience.

"Good company, not a great team"

Pros

good benefits and decent compensation.

Cons

too much, no time to enjoy the benefits.

"Friendly advice - Stay away from joining Hotwire !!"

I worked at Hotwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Being part of Expedia family, you can say you work at Expedia as Hotwire brand is not well known.

2. Office location is good.

Cons

1. For career growth and promotion, you need to be in good book of directors/managers.

2. Every year or two layoffs happens as business is going down.

3. People play blame game if something goes wrong.

4. Lake of motivation and all smart people are leaving or already left.

5. No value of engineers even though it's so called tech company.

6. No RSU and No competitive market salary.

Advice to Management

Advice to new CEO - Fire director/managerial level folks(except 1-2 folks) from product and engineering and hire fresh minds. They filter information and pass it to you. Individual contributor at low level are the one who are hard working, keep them and listen to them.

"Instablity, Politics and horrible culture. STAY AWAY!"

I worked at Hotwire full-time

Pros

Part of the Expedia brand & Good travel perks.
    Work life balance is great since there is not much work happening anyway.

Cons

1. Leadership team is a joke.

2. Restructuring and layoffs every 3 months. Absolute instability with no respect for the individual contributors.

3. No career growth unless you are great at politics and sucking up.

4. Managers have been promoted to Director level because they have been working at the company for very long time. They lack expertise and standards to drive any positive impact to the people and business.

5. Pay is horrible and don't expect any promotions.

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the management team members who are busy playing politics and ruining the company culture.
    - Read Glassdoor reviews to get a reality check.

"Attrition and politics brought the company to shambles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Expedia brand name

- Travel perks, but nothing special unlike other big companies

Cons

I don't know where to start. Everything is wrong with the company right now.

- Highly negative and toxic environment
    - People with less credentials were promoted to leadership positions and handed off big portion of business. They are failing miserably and covering up to survive or blaming others within the org.
    - People don't want to work proactively
    - Management keeps making promises, but nothing is changing
    - Clean slate to people who do not perform or constantly break things
    - Engineers have no existence in the company, even though management claims to be a technology company
    - Product leadership thinks they are driving the company, remaining teams like marketing and engineering are treated as their puppets
    - If you are active and want to progress, this isn't the right place to work. Look somewhere else. Your career will take a hit in negative direction and you won't learn anything

Advice to Management

Change company culture and hold low-performing individuals in senior leadership accountable or show them the door to exist for good