InVision Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

3.4
InVision CEO Clark Valberg
Clark Valberg
Pros
  • "Remote work really enables you to live your best life at work and home(in 56 reviews)

• "Complete flexiblity, people work from home or remotely(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Remote work environment isn't for everyone(in 21 reviews)

• "You have to be very motivated to work from home(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Apr 28, 2021 - Team Lead in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ease of schedule and remote

Cons

Not really any cons to mention

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0

Not recommended

May 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fairly competitive pay Good benefits Remote work - both a pro and con A lot of great customers

Cons

Depending on what team you're on, you might have a huge workload (many many people burn out working here), while others hide under the radar and get away with doing very little (or they know how to appear busy or take credit for others work). The few people who are promoted are usually the ones who suck up to the right people, not those who are really working hard and contributing most to the company. This means there are lots of inexperienced, incompetent managers and directors who have no idea of how to lead a team and get stuff done. There are frequent layoffs and voluntary departures of talented people, but when a person leaves, no one bats an eye. This all results in a very low employee morale, but the company doesn’t do anything to retain talent, develop talent or improve employee happiness.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, great culture

Apr 5, 2021 - Product Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fabulous company culture. A pioneer in remote work, InVision has all of the resources and support needed to live your best remote life. InVision has made a true effort to support diversity and inclusion initiatives and has taken active steps to make improvements. The design-driven culture is so refreshing, this is a place where individuals are empowered to share ideas and insights and a "how might we" approach to problem-solving. InVision has truly some of the most talented (yet friendly!) product managers, marketers, and functional leaders I've ever worked with. This is also a place where internal promotion and career growth opportunities abound.

Cons

Some have complained in the past about InVision frequently changing the roadmap and strategy, however, we have new product leadership and it feels like we're headed in the right direction.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Poor leadership and toxic work environment

Apr 16, 2021 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of really genuine and smart people work here. The company does a great job hiring on the individual contributor level.

Cons

For a company that prides itself on culture, it needs to take a long look in the mirror. If you're not "in" with management, you will feel like you're sitting at the loser table in the cafeteria in high school. Very cliquey, which is pretty bad when you're a remote company and people already feel isolated. I've heard that a lot has changed since I left, both good and bad, however the company is still struggling hard with market share and is slow to roll-out new features and fix issues. Customers are frustrated and it falls back onto the customer facing teams, who get little support from a leadership team that only cares about revenue and not the well-being of their employees. When I made the decision to leave, I didn't hear from a single senior manager or HR to wish me luck or hear more about why I was unhappy there. Was just told where to return my laptop and that's it. I've heard from other former employees that they were treated the same.

12 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Trending in the right direction!

Apr 11, 2021 - Director of Engineering in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

InVision is a startup experiencing some growing pains. As a new engineering leader who have been here for the past 4 months, there are 2 signals that give me absolute confidence that InVision is trending in the right direction. 1. Experience leadership, especially the product and engineering leaders 2. Company-wide alignment on the go-forward strategy InVision hired new CPO and CTO last year. Since they came onboard, things are starting to come together, especially with the different product and engineering leaders they hired in recent months. These are leaders with the right experience, who possess the knowhow to turn things around and know what world class product organizations look like. I feel fortunate to work along side these leaders. There's no lack of challenging problems to solve, especially deep technical problems. While there's much yet to be done, it also offers tremendous growth opportunities to those looking to face these challenges head-on and to leave their mark when the job is done! It is a great time to come onboard and be part of the change for growth before it takes off. InVision is competing in a space that's getting crowded by the day. It is a non-trivial feat for InVision to develop a strategic true north, a strategy that is category-defining. This is what excites me. The entire company is aligned on this strategy and it will be an exciting time over the next 12 - 18 months. This strategy enables InVision to have a clear focus and to ruthlessly prioritize all the work we have as a company. I can't ask for more. The work is cut out, the challenge is in execution. There are other pros working at InVision, including a fully remote work environment! I love the fact that we can be authentic at work. It is totally acceptable to see some uninvited guests showing up in zoom meetings with co-workers (often their children and/or pets). This culture of authenticity carries through with our leaders. They are transparent about where we come up short and what we need to do to improve further.

Cons

Covid has made it more challenging forInVision to build really cohesive teams. The lack of in-person get together means it takes more time and efforts to build trust with each other. This is not unique to InVision. I'm looking forward to the day when I can meet my team and my product/engineering leadership team in person! There are other challenges working at InVision, including technical debt, and a lack of clear path for those looking for career growth. These are not insurmountable and there are clear efforts and commitment from engineering leadership to improve in these areas. I'm confident positive changes are on the horizon!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's great because it's trying to be better

Apr 5, 2021 - Staff Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team provides a lot of autonomy to everyone and to do that it puts a lot of trust and ownership with individuals. It doesn't supplement being remote with more meetings which means you're really doing the same amount of touch points as co-located companies but you're able to work where you want/need to be and allow your work to be more adaptable to life instead of the other way around. On the tech side, the team is top-notch, they are working on foundational and challenging problems that are performance-critical and immersive - not just reflecting a database in a UI. The culture is amazing to me and that's not by accident, the team puts a lot of effort into working on it - not just traditional teams either like HR. Engineering, Product, Design, CFT, etc. they all heavily review how they are doing and where can they improve and over the time i've been here (3.5 years at time of writing), I've seen transformative work happen thanks to this culture of iteration.

Cons

These aren't cons in the since of InVision is broken because of these things but rather this is the list of things that aren't where they should be yet. - We need to keep hiring from more diverse backgrounds and demographics - We've experienced a lot of leadership change and that ripples within team culture, so continuing on the track of executing and getting a cadence/momentum will be great. - The team has had to deal with absolutely massive migration efforts in the past few years, this was not something that would happen again but it's left sentiment that teams might not be shipping great work externally because of that - this had a big hit on our culture. (note, happily that's actually behind us now and the future is pedal to the metal and all externally visible!)

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Turning the corner and it feels good!

Mar 31, 2021 - N/A
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Being part of a team that cares about you as a human - Being part of a team that is turning things around -Being part of a team that has a huge growth path ahead - Being part of a team that understands how to work remotely

Cons

- Last year was hard - Ensuring enough work/life balance- that is not a company problem, there is just a lot to do

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid the downhill slog

Feb 15, 2021 - CFT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fully distributed since inception so remote is in their DNA. Smart, friendly, hardworking people. Good benefits. Learned a lot.

Cons

Big fall from market leader to fighting for scraps. Working at a product design company built on the premise of helping companies ship faster, while taking YEARS to release disjointed updates along with an ongoing mess of a pricing model that hinders collaboration is just painful. Constant reshuffling and changing KPIs that feel chaotic and rushed or like more of the same. Leaders seem great but disconnect is obvious. Lip service, frequent layoffs across the org and lots of people jumping ship. Competitors continue to eat away at revenue for multiple reasons and customer trust has been eroded. My advice is to see if this company actually starts turning around before joining. Everyone knows it’s make or break it time. I really want to see them pull themselves out of this. Until then, it boils down to pushing a Sketch plus InVision workflow that isn’t up to snuff for today’s design teams, therefore developers won’t benefit. You’ll be told otherwise but this is the no-fluff reality. Godspeed.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0

Stay away

Apr 21, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote Most employees are awesome people

Cons

Toxic leadership CEO has no idea what strategy means, and you more or less have to agree with him all the time or you'll quickly be kicked out of the "in" crowd No clear vision Borderline shady HR/people practices ' Note: notice how there are negative reviews mixed in with 5-star glowing reviews? Notice how all the glowing reviews seem to conveniently state that any and all problems at this company have been solved? Decide for yourself if those reviews are real or not. :)

9 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great remote culture and strong outlook

Mar 31, 2021 - Engineering Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company lives out their core principles listed on their career page and has a very compelling roadmap ahead. InVision is especially great for people who thrive in a remote work setting.

Cons

People are still recovering from a number of changes within the company, but things are definitely coming together and the future looks bright.

2 people found this review helpful