Ipsos Reviews | Glassdoor

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Absolutely no work life balance" (in 92 reviews)

• "Long hours (common to the profession), sometimes slow to move" (in 98 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Pros

Great medical, dental vision package

Cons

No Cons to list here

2. "Comfortable place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Research Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Research Executive

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities, good work environment

Cons

A bit laid back in reporting

"Not a place for high performers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    If you are patient and ready to coast for 20+ years and wait for retirement, this is the place for you

Cons

Slow to adapt to industry changes
    People are very mediocre, very few innovative thinkers. Most are button pressers and paper/email pushers
    Does not reward high performers. You get a pat on the back and slap on the wrist for setting up the standard too high for the rest of the group. Never shows up with big raises or promotions. Promotion is more about tenure

Advice to Management

Recognize the value high performer/high potential employee provides and reward/respect them or they are going to leave. It also goes with setting high standard for your employees

4. "Good place, but you have to make your own way"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting clients, nice people, competitive salary

Cons

Not much support; you have to be proactive in getting work in order to get kudos

Advice to Management

Be more supportive to your VP and SVP levels, providing them sales tools and support

5. "Potential, but not a good experience"

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Ipsos has a diverse portfolio of work, from market research through public opinion polling and on to government contracts. Staff are committed and energetic.

Cons

The DC-based Ipsos unit is oddly divided in its upper ranks: some staff have been there too long and are too settled into a "this is the way we've always done it" approach to work whereas others are determined to shake up the world and make it operate according to their preferences and are completely convinced that they know everything about everything.

One upper-level manager fancies him/herself a strategic chess master, moving pieces (people) around the board, whereas in reality this person is woefully incompetent. The same person fires at will. He/she would sooner dispense with people than work with them to improve skills. In fact, feedback is absent, even when asked for. There is also a cabal of people hired from a management consulting firm who have a sense of superiority toward their peers and clients. This attitude creates an unprofessional work environment.

I would strongly advise applicants to really, really think carefully about whether this is a place they want to work.

Advice to Management

To the top-most manager: pay attention to what your direct reports are doing to people below them. Senior managers: work with staff to enable them to succeed and stop firing people without any notice or due cause.

"A phenomenal first job out of college"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ADP is such a great program to learn both hard and soft skills coming right out of school, or any point in your career really. The team is young and fun, yet the leadership team within the ADP really sets this program above others. They truly care about your personal and professional development. I've learned and grown here and will take these relationships throughout my career. There are many opportunities to excel, but showing and proving that you're a hard worker and you're reliable is extremely valued. If you go above and beyond, you're set. Having a relationship with your manager and your manager's manager is necessary, and quite easy. Everyone is welcoming, energetic, and fun to be around. I also loved this program because you have others that start with you in a class, so you automatically have people from the get-go that are going through the same things. It's good because you automatically get a new set of friends. The company is also a global company, so if there are opportunities in different parts of the world, you can do an internal transfer which is an awesome opportunity.
    I have so many great things to say about Ipsos. I was sad to say good-bye.

Cons

The hours are long and the compensation is not enough for the amount of work you end up doing once you are trained - though I do believe they are working on this. There also are some organizational changes that are happening currently, so the program is changing a bit structurally. Because it's a publicly owned company, many decisions are made due to money and this past year particularly was a bit rough with CPG budgets being cut, but you'll see that at any publicly owned company.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people. Focus on your high performers. Trim the fat and keep the ones you want.

"Alright place to start, look for a new job after 2-4 years"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Thirsty Thursday (Beer provided during the last Thursday of the month)
    - HR department is very good and responsive
    - 3 weeks vacation AND 6 sick days to start off with. After 5 years with the company it becomes 4 weeks vacation AND 6 sick days. You can purchase more vacation days.
    - 10 Holidays + 2 floating holidays
    - Health Care (BCN in Michigan) was always great for me, personally
    - 401(K)
    - $150 gym reimbursement yearly
    - Alright place to start (career-wise as a Programmer) as an intern/out of college
    - Summer Hours! Between Memorial Day-Labor Day, if you work 9 hours a day (Monday - Thursday) you can take half of Friday off!
    - Great & smart co-workers. Very friendly/fun to talk to
    - Learned how to transition from a college student to a professional environment
    - Working remotely when you need to
    - Some flex time (come in slightly later/leave slightly early if you need something is done, such as a Doctor's appointment)
    - Got to develop new things, some things in modern languages too! (C#, SQL)
    - Focused on data privacy
    - It is a flat line organization, so at least your ideas are heard.
    - The management are genuinely great people.
    - Made a difference in the organization

Cons

- Very low pay, especially for our field
    - In some ways you can grow, in some ways you can't grow
    - Outdated office
    - We use outdated technology (VB6, SAS, ColdFusion, etc), and outdated tools (Sourcesafe for source control)
    - People want to STICK to these outdated tools
    - Some people are not willing to learn the new technologies/tools
    - We don't do the proper SDLC, mostly like a wild west of developing software
    - We can't focus on developing new stuff, because we are busy always putting out fires due to poor decision making years ago
    - Inefficiently ran
    - Overworked
    - Old School mentality
    - Resistant to change
    - Adding to our technical debt
    - We talk about the long term, but we are always putting out fires and focusing on the short term
    - Some tension between Project Staff and Programmers. Not as bad as it used to be, though
    - Layoffs. The moment revenue goes down, we lay people off!Then we hire people the second revenue goes up. This is kind of good and bad. It's good because it gets rid of poor performers, but once you get rid of all the poor performers, then the good performers jobs are at risk. Obviously, layoffs are overall a bad sign because your job is always at risk.
    - Work IS your life. There is an illusion of Work/Life balance

Advice to Management

Benefits are great, but the compensation is terrible for Programmers.

Stop shunning and delaying changes. You need to modernize your platform, or else you will risk losing clients. Listen to your younger developers and stop adding to the technical debt. Start paying your Programmers the fair market value.

Programmers shouldn't always be processing the data that we receive, but this goes back to scaling and modernizing our methodologies, tools, and technologies.

Ipsos needs to stop laying people off the moment revenue goes down. Ipsos needs to invest more in tools/technologies, so the business is scalable. The business should have been scaled a long time ago, but since it isn't, we shouldn't be adding to our technical debt. We need to STOP focusing on the short term and START focusing on the long term. Otherwise, Ipsos will start losing business, due to these poor decision making.

Focus on modernizing your entire business. People will be angry at first, but the alternative is that the ship will sink.

"Recommend looking elsewhere"

Former Employee - Research Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok place if you are interested in just a pure market research job without a lot of emphasis on providing true consultative value or insights for the client.

Cons

Highly highly underpaid. Everyone quits eventually because the pay and benefits are so bad. Management seems to know this and then they just lure in the next crop of underpaid newly graduated college students. Therefore there is no real great long term prospect of growth. No professional development. Purely learning on the fly and no concept of best practices or development. No feeling of unity within the company. Worked in an office with >100 people and only knew the 10 people on my team.

Advice to Management

Pay more so every single person doesn't move on. You might actually develop some semblance of long term talent then.

"Let's not kid ourselves or fall for the 'suspicious' positive reviews."

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can learn some research and project management skills, and understand why large lumbering dinosaur companies fail.

Cons

I suspect that a lot of the super short "great company" reviews about Ipsos are fake, (driven by need to ensure they can hire more cannon fodder researchers to keep this gig going

Ipsos is a publicly traded company and needs to maximize returns to shareholders. There are differences across teams, and you can be lucky or unlucky in terms of your manager, but all Ipsos cares about is revenue and profits.

The pressure is always to sell, sell, sell the work and then worry about how projects will actually be completed. In reality, this normally means 2 people doing the work of 3 or even 4 people, working 70-90 hour weeks during busy periods.

Management pretends to care, HR is just for the bureaucratic processes rather than to actually support employees. The only point of joining this company is to learn some skills and then leave before they burn you out

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste time or energy pretending that management would take any notice of advice other than paying it lip service

10. "Steady Work"

Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Phone Interviewer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place and great people to work for

Cons

Comfortable environment. Great managers and supervisor