Ipsos Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Cons

"Talk to people that work there, not former employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The laws of human nature dictate that if you have a bad experience you will tell 10 people but if you have a good experience you might tell 1 person. Glass Door is absolutely set up to be a total showcase for complaints. If you really want to get to know Ipsos, talk to the thousands and thousands of happy and long-term current employees.

In North America, we just celebrated a guy today in our Town Hall who has been with the company for 45 years. The standard length of service in the US and Canada is very long. I work with many people who have been here 20+, 15+, 10+ years. Obviously these people are very happy (as am I) and committed to Ipsos!

Paris may have problems but each region is different and Ipsos in North America is a great place to work. Each year they improve staffing, technology, leadership and overall morale. Pierre has brought some amazing leaders on board and truly cares about people. Don't believe everything you read and talk to someone who actually works here!

Cons

Honestly, sites like Glass Door whose "reviews" do nothing but hurt companies and reputations have placed an unfair label on Ipsos, at least in North America.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't waste your time responding to these angry former employees.

Jun 23, 2017

Thank you for your positive review! We couldn’t agree more – talk to the employees to get a good picture of life at Ipsos. We work hard to support our growing team, who help drive growth for our ... More

"Plenty of growth opportunities and flexibility"

Current Employee - Client Service Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been working at Ipsos for several years, and even though I can indeed echo back what’s been said about long hours in other comments, it’s the same at any market research agency. If you are not ready to work long hours, agency side is not for you to begin with. However, there’s a lot of flexibility and freedom that you get in return. On top of that, the company has your back in case of a family emergency, and this is not something I’ve seen in the boutique I used to work for previously.
    To me, the biggest strength of Ipsos is the growth opportunities it offers to the valued employees, both vertical and horizontal. I have switched from one BU to another, and both managers were absolutely brilliant. Even now, finding myself at the cross roads of my next career move at Ipsos, I’m being offered a range of options by my manager.
    The top leadership at Ipsos is very involved in the company’s day-to-day business, is surprisingly humane and strong in strategic guidance. I can pay tribute to the company for finding the right people, as I’ve definitely worked with the most experienced and driven researchers in the industry, whichever BU I was in.

Cons

Naturally, there are a few very average performers, but their impact on business is minor, given the company scale. Still, this is something Ipsos might need to work on moving forward, especially when it comes to global roles.

Advice to Management

Converge technology solutions and invest in the most promising ones

"Committed to work hard/play hard/help others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Cincinnati office is a great example of our company culture-everyone works very hard, putting research and clients first but has fun along the way (beer & mimosa carts) and helps others at the same time. Last month employees were asked to bring in toiletry items for a local shelter and our floor really pitched in. Makes me feel good to help others on a monthly basis.

Cons

We need more talent, lots of growth=job openings. Apply!

Advice to Management

Ignore the negative internet trolls and listen to your happy employees.

Jun 23, 2017

Great to hear from another happy employee, and congratulations on the Cincinnati office recently being awarded as a Top Workplace in Cincinnati for 2017 by the Cincinnati Enquirer. Sounds like you ... More

"One of the best places to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Ipsos (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Ipsos! It is a very open, collaborative culture. Ipsos is ahead of the curve on innovation and they encourage us to be entrepreneurial and come up with new ways to service our clients or work together. The work we get to do is very stimulating, interesting and very diverse. And, they are a very diverse workplace. The leadership team is fantastic, open and progressive. Great professional development. Thank you for investing in your talent here!

Cons

Really don't have any cons. There are peaks and valleys in work like any company. They pay well and are competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and embracing the culture here. Would love to see more social media promotion of the great things we are doing here and also to help get the word out to future talent.

May 26, 2017

Great to hear you’re enjoying your time with us! Thanks for sharing.

"No Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A prestigious company in the space with nice facilities, good benefits including PTO (though PTO is difficult to use. Expect your work to go with you on vacation.) Company sponsored recreational sports teams.

Cons

No work-life balance, cut-throat competition amongst teammates, outdated technology, managerial power is unlimited and largely unchecked, little to no investment in employee growth or progress. On top of all of this, they refuse to face these issues head on and make a change and instead choose to dispute the claims of former employees on Glassdoor in petty responses that insinuate the former employee to be a liar. (Example, a former employee stated they were told an analyst job was offering $40k in Chicago, and HR replied here to say there was no such offer. However, I was told the exact same salary range of $40k to $45k when I applied for that same position, which is why I took a different position with the company in the long run. Clearly this person was not telling a lie.)

The culture is a very "work hard don't play at all" culture that they disguise by offering in-office holiday parties with beer/wine and snacks and by repeatedly stating that they have great work/life balance. A lesson learned from this was that if you have to repeatedly state that you have great work/life balance, you don't have it. For perspective, if I left at or near 5, I got a note about how I wasn't dedicated to the company. You're expected to work 8am to 6pm minimum on almost every team, regardless of whether or not your workload demands it. Up until I put in my two weeks' notice, I felt I had to be in the office an hour early and leave a minimum of an hour late. I started just sitting at my desk, messing around until my boss left at 6:30 or 7 just so they wouldn't be upset. Then, I would take my laptop home and leave it on until I went to bed so that I would be able to answer any emails that came through. I took my laptop on every vacation I took while employed at Ipsos, because my manager's expectation was that I was never not "on." Overall, it's the epitome of what you see in think-pieces every week: you're chained to your laptop and email, and if you even mention your personal life or interests at a happy hour or while brewing coffee in the break room, prepare to have it used against you to show your lack of dedication.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees by being an active member of their support team rather than giving vague instructions demanding absolute perfection. Stranding employees on their own and leaving them with no support below or above them is a recipe for disaster and high turnover.

"Satisfying work but way too much of it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy marketing research and intellectual stimulation this is a great place. If you enjoy working with down to earth colleagues, this is a great place. If you enjoy working with data and writing about it, this is a great place.
    If you need to work from home/remotely, this can be a great place.
    If you thrive in a congenial (rather than cut throat) work environment, this is a great place.

Cons

If you enjoy having a personal life, this is not a great place. There is always just quite not enough people to get the work done and it's impossible to get management to add new positions. The only way to get the work done in a quality way is to work evenings and weekends, pretty much consistently. It gets oppressive.

Given the size of this organization, they sorely need some tech updates to facilitate data flow that could free up a lot of employee time.

Annual raises are minimal, such that you start to fall behind on salary when cost of living is factored in. Big raises come with promotions, which is nice but there are only so many positions one can attain.

Advice to Management

Employees and tech are the 2 things that are needed to get this job done and ultimately please the clients. Please invest wisely in these and aim to keep employees who are doing a good job by paying them competitively. These jobs are knowledge-intensive and it's hard on all of us when someone quits and new people need to be re-trained.

May 9, 2017

Glad you’re finding your time at Ipsos stimulating and of course thanks for being part of the team! On your point about resources, with over 100 new hires in the US this past quarter and significant ... More

"Advancement is possible, but undercompensated"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Dayton, OH

I worked at Ipsos (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Large company with many areas of specialization in market research.

Cons

- Was offered a 1 year analyst training opportunity after finishing college. They wanted to pay 35K in Chicago. That would be impossible to live on.

May 9, 2017

There is no record of such an offer. We do not offer any positions at this level of salary, neither in Chicago nor anywhere in the US. Starting salaries may vary slightly depending on the city, the ... More

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and you can work from home if you need.

Cons

No bonuses. No upward mobility. The salary increases are minimual even if you score well on your performance every year.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting among yourselves and start focusing on your employees

Apr 7, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. After a great performance in 2016, we actually shared record bonuses with our team in North America, in the range of 25% of staff in research departments were ... More

"OK to good daily environment. Poor compensation. Little career opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Fairly casual environment. Benefits seem good.

Cons

If you're not in Client Service, then good luck advancing your career or getting paid a fair salary.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees appropriately. The most effective way to increase salary should not be to go work somewhere else and then come back. The "merit" raises every year are a pittance. Encourage people to stay by paying them a fair wage.

Mar 29, 2017

Thanks for the feedback! We work hard at attracting top talent to Ipsos, and maintain competitive compensation throughout the company. We’re proud of the benefits and corporate culture we provide ... More

10. "Okay"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical corporate environment, comfortable with a gym and some good employee benefits like a 200 dollar yearly fitness expense

Cons

Long hours, with dated IT equipment will have you staring at your screen waiting for programs to load up to an hour of your day. There's also high turn over because Ipsos pays about 10-20% below the market.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they do a good job executing their strategy, it leads to low retention but they have different targets

Mar 29, 2017

We’re glad to hear you’re making the most out of our fitness and employee benefits. Please be patient as we implement several IT upgrades across the U.S. and Canada.