Key Benefit Administrators Reviews | Glassdoor

Key Benefit Administrators CEO Larry Dust
Larry Dust
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Many employees work from home and this gives many of us the flexibility" (in 33 reviews)

• "I absolutely love working for KBA" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some Customer Service people answer as little as 20 calls per day when others are expected to take over 50 a day" (in 7 reviews)

• "Please weigh your options when considering KBA because if you want to work for an organized company this is not it" (in 4 reviews)

"Exciting Times!!"

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! KBA values their employees and demostrates this throughout the year! Many employees work from home and this gives many of us the flexibility.

Cons

None to share at this time

"It's great until the chips fall ..."

Former Employee - IT in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Probably the best, most-efficient, well-oiled team I have ever worked for. Good work/life balance. Accomplished many great things working here to add to the resume.

Cons

Management continually asks for well-considered, researched information, but then disregards it and shoots from the hip. Common belief seems to be that Intimidation or repeating something enough times, will make true.

Advice to Management

You're continually laying off the wong people and promoting the poison ones.

"Caught during a turbulent time"

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

Nice people there, close and friendly to most everyone

Cons

Some software was messy, slow, unable to hold a position with what's going on politically

"Customer Service"

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

Working from home is about the only pro for this position.

Cons

Management does not seem to know where they are going and how to get there. Every month there is a new something that is going to save the company. Promotions are given to the good ole boys and girls and are based on who you know. Management already knows who they will place in a position before they even post it. Management does not listen to the workers but only to executive staff that slant the answers to be what they think they should say. Some Customer Service people answer as little as 20 calls per day when others are expected to take over 50 a day.

Advice to Management

Start treating everyone fairly.

Sep 15, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

I am really sorry to hear you feel that way. I would invite you to sit down with anyone in HR to help understand this issue or bring your concerns to your manager so we can take some action to... More

"Co-workers are great."

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

Managers and co-workers are friendly and helpful. Halloween and Christmas activities are fun. The ability to wear jeans on Fridays and other random weeks is nice.

Cons

The use of technology is lacking.

Sep 15, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

"Great People!!"

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the culture is good.

Cons

The salaries are low, the benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

If you want to compete, salaries and benefits need to improve.

Sep 15, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

"Great People" - I Agree!!!! Thanks for leaving the review - I would be happy spend some time to help you understand the salary range for your position and walk you through the benefit plan as we... More

7. "Project Management"

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

flexibility, pay, vacation, work from home

Cons

advancement, upper management, benefits, work environment

Advice to Management

better training of department personall

Sep 15, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave your perspective! Best of luck to you.

"Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary & benefits. Some room for advancement, but very slow moving.

Cons

There is a lot of control within management and it is stifling to personal growth. An unhealthy control. Those that have been with the company can be very secretive instead of giving healthy communication. Too many layoffs/ downsizing.

Advice to Management

The systems and apps seem antiquated and need to be updated to more advanced efficient technology. They are a hindrance to working efficiently and for quality production. Seems they are behind the times.

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your perspective! Happy to hear you appreciate the salary and benefits. As a current employee there are plenty of good things happening and I would encourage... More

"Decent Employer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For this position to have been in a call center setting (from home), it wasn't as bad a other call centers that I have actually worked in. The best reason is that there was NOT a handle time... My lead and CS Manager was the best. I do think they try their best to support their team and care about all of us. The pay for the position was very good considering other companies for the same type of position. The benefits were not great but they were well enough for the cost per pay period and that I greatly appreciated.

Cons

With the Pros being said, there isn't much a lead or manager can do when the CEO says lay off people in your department and figure out who.. I survived 2 layoffs in the CSR department in my time with KBA, however I do not appreciate the way the layoff was done. I am still struggling to find another position unfortunately. You are told of how you can grow and asked constantly what you would like to do but only certain people are picked for projects and etc, they do have their people picked. It's all in who you know!

Advice to Management

If and when (and there will be a when) there are more layoffs as long as it is governed by politics or whatever new administration comes into office, please give more of a notice or at least let people know up front when you hire them that with the industry that there could be layoffs. I know we live in an "at will" state but if we are never able to depend on a job or actually have a career we want to keep, what's the use in getting comfortable with a company if they have no intentions on keeping you there? All that to say, give more of a heads up, some of us were clueless even after the email from Larry Dust simply because we were told everyone was being trained on the new product and was scheduled days/times to do product overview and then to be let go before this time. I feel leads and other management knew well before we were told. And yes, personally, I am still hurt behind it!

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for leaving your feedback. While there is always more to the story, I appreciate the honest assessment from your perspective. As with all reviews, we will use this information to improve.

"The good days are long gone."

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for KBA, I reported to the best manager ever in my career. My manager would let me work remotely when I needed to so I could get things done as I needed to. I was able to take care of personal things during the work day if they came up as long as I got my work done. I know this wasn't company policy but my manager did what was right for their employees. My manager would always defend their employees and stand up for what was right.

Cons

KBA is in a downward spiral. The KeySolution business is drying up quickly. Clients are not signing up for the newest product. The new product is sketchy at best. Nepotism runs deep within this organization. The way layoffs are handled lack honesty and alignment of the company's alleged family focus. Dishonesty, manipulation, and head games run deep through the executive staff and middle management. KBA is known to also "blacklist" and make future employment difficult for former employees.

Advice to Management

My advise to employees is to get out while you can. The future is very bright outside of KBA.

Sep 15, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

I am sorry you feel that way. KBA was recently voted as one of Charlotte's Top Workplaces for 2017 based on a third party survey of the employees so I am disappointed to hear your experience seemed... More