Key Benefit Administrators Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The only con I have is that I will not get to see all the nice people when I am working from home (in 8 reviews)

• Please weigh your options when considering KBA because if you want to work for an organized company this is not it (in 4 reviews)

1. "Co-workers are great."

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

Managers and co-workers are friendly and helpful. Halloween and Christmas activities are fun. The ability to wear jeans on Fridays and other random weeks is nice.

Cons

The use of technology is lacking.

"Great People!!"

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the culture is good.

Cons

The salaries are low, the benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

If you want to compete, salaries and benefits need to improve.

3. "Project Management"

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

flexibility, pay, vacation, work from home

Cons

advancement, upper management, benefits, work environment

Advice to Management

better training of department personall

"Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary & benefits. Some room for advancement, but very slow moving.

Cons

There is a lot of control within management and it is stifling to personal growth. An unhealthy control. Those that have been with the company can be very secretive instead of giving healthy communication. Too many layoffs/ downsizing.

Advice to Management

The systems and apps seem antiquated and need to be updated to more advanced efficient technology. They are a hindrance to working efficiently and for quality production. Seems they are behind the times.

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave your perspective! Happy to hear you appreciate the salary and benefits. As a current employee there are plenty of good things happening and I would encourage... More

"Decent Employer"

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For this position to have been in a call center setting (from home), it wasn't as bad a other call centers that I have actually worked in. The best reason is that there was NOT a handle time... My lead and CS Manager was the best. I do think they try their best to support their team and care about all of us. The pay for the position was very good considering other companies for the same type of position. The benefits were not great but they were well enough for the cost per pay period and that I greatly appreciated.

Cons

With the Pros being said, there isn't much a lead or manager can do when the CEO says lay off people in your department and figure out who.. I survived 2 layoffs in the CSR department in my time with KBA, however I do not appreciate the way the layoff was done. I am still struggling to find another position unfortunately. You are told of how you can grow and asked constantly what you would like to do but only certain people are picked for projects and etc, they do have their people picked. It's all in who you know!

Advice to Management

If and when (and there will be a when) there are more layoffs as long as it is governed by politics or whatever new administration comes into office, please give more of a notice or at least let people know up front when you hire them that with the industry that there could be layoffs. I know we live in an "at will" state but if we are never able to depend on a job or actually have a career we want to keep, what's the use in getting comfortable with a company if they have no intentions on keeping you there? All that to say, give more of a heads up, some of us were clueless even after the email from Larry Dust simply because we were told everyone was being trained on the new product and was scheduled days/times to do product overview and then to be let go before this time. I feel leads and other management knew well before we were told. And yes, personally, I am still hurt behind it!

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for leaving your feedback. While there is always more to the story, I appreciate the honest assessment from your perspective. As with all reviews, we will use this information to improve.

"Within two years, two reduction in force."

Former Employee - Service Processor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Service Processor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working from home, good hours.

Cons

reduction in force twice in one year

Advice to Management

Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket. Sale more than one type of plan.

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for the review. We wish you the best in your next opportunity.

"I Personally Think They Care"

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time

Pros

I think the title says it best. Some may not not agree, but to offer a second side of the story and a little bit of how our industry works. First off, it may just be me, but I have never encountered a corporate company where I enjoy working with the team of people that I currently work with. Others on my team truly care, and when I've had family issues whether they be big or small, I always receive emails, texts, phone calls to make sure I'm OK or a family member is going alright. To me that means a lot to me. I have worked in other places where I was just another cog in the wheel, but at least here my team members and bosses actually care. In terms of Pay and Benefits, I feel like I get paid fairly for my position and even researched before I was hired the average pay for the position I'm in. KBA pays a bit more than average. The Health Insurance Benefits are amazing (at least to me, I went from not having any). KBA Covers 95% of the cost of health insurance leaving us with little out of pocket. And what ever isn't covered by our Main Policy is covered by a "GAP" coverage, that helps to alleviate to incurred cost. I had to have an outpatient procedure done last year, and the cost without insurance would have been over $6000, and I only paid around $675 when all was said and done. Now we have a new "Telemed" service, where we can call in from the comfort of our own home to a Dr, and have them diagnose certain problems over the phone and then have our prescriptions sent to our designated pharmacy. So a lot of positives there. I have met and spoken with the CEO personally before as well. Larry is honestly one of the most caring people I have ever met, and I truly believe he cares for his staff and his employees. I don't think I've ever met a CEO before so willing to sit down with you in his unbelievably busy schedule. Also, I'm a low man on the totem pole, and he makes sure to know your name. That says a lot about a person, and to me shows me he actually cares.

Secondly, we work in the Health Insurance Industry and we're a Third Party Administrator so we do our best to help facilitate and pay out claims and fulfillment packages to the best of our ability. What some may not take into account is that because we are in a service industry, we have to have groups to "service". Because of the recent political environment, absolutely No One knows what the GOP are going to do with the ACA and because of recent legislation that states the goverment is NOT GOING TO COLLECT PENALTIES that were recently enforced to make sure groups carried Health Insurance for their employees, we have seen some downfall from groups pulling out of their plans and/or not renewing. This is absolutely affecting the amount of work coming in and our bottom line.

We have just recently experienced a reduction in force, and to me it was heart breaking to watch. I watched as good people had to be let go because of a political environment that's caused unpredictability in our industry. My heart goes out to each and every person who is no longer with us. I don't get to see good friends and some amazing people because of it. I've been let go previously from other companies for reasons similar to this. It's extremely unfortunate, and I feel grateful that I still have employment.

Taking all of this into account, when you work in this industry, you run the risk of unforeseen circumstances. Especially when your business revolved around regulations and policies dictated by the current political climate. I knew that when I applied here, and because of the amazing benefits, and good pay, I'm willing to take that risk. But I also make sure to stand out in my current position and to try and over deliver in terms of my productiveness.

Cons

You need to attempt to understand Health Insurance Regulations if you want to work in an industry like this. When political shifts happen so drastically as they have in the past few months, any person needs to be aware of how it may or may not affect your job. When your job revolves around political regulations, you need to know how it affects you personally.

Advice to Management

Consistent awareness or explanations of how political policies could help prepare people more. I think in this day in age, people are thrown into positions to get things done immediately, and we may not realize how outside forces may interfere with our jobs.

Feb 27, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for leaving your thoughts and comments! Glad to hear the benefit plan is working out well for you and that you are enjoying working with the individuals on your team. Thank you for all... More

"The good days are long gone."

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for KBA, I reported to the best manager ever in my career. My manager would let me work remotely when I needed to so I could get things done as I needed to. I was able to take care of personal things during the work day if they came up as long as I got my work done. I know this wasn't company policy but my manager did what was right for their employees. My manager would always defend their employees and stand up for what was right.

Cons

KBA is in a downward spiral. The KeySolution business is drying up quickly. Clients are not signing up for the newest product. The new product is sketchy at best. Nepotism runs deep within this organization. The way layoffs are handled lack honesty and alignment of the company's alleged family focus. Dishonesty, manipulation, and head games run deep through the executive staff and middle management. KBA is known to also "blacklist" and make future employment difficult for former employees.

Advice to Management

My advise to employees is to get out while you can. The future is very bright outside of KBA.

"Thank you"

I worked at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The privilege to work from home and ample amount of sick and vacation time off to be with family. Great work life balance.

Cons

The only con was the short notice about the layoff. The email the CEO sent out a few days after the election had layoff written all over it but I was not selected for the new product they rolled out. It was actually a blessing in disguise though. Thank you KBA. I wish you blissful success in all you do.

Advice to Management

No need. That's corporate America. You win some and lose some.

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

We hate to lose anyone due to any kind of staffing reduction, however I appreciate you taking the time to leave an honest review. We wish you all the best.

"Team lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Key Benefit Administrators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working from home. The office is not far if I have to come in

Cons

There are no cons really

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Feb 27, 2017 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for the great review! We are happy to have you on the team here at KBA!!!