MEMIC Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2020

3.9
MEMIC President and CEO Michael Bourque
Michael Bourque
Pros
  • "Great benefits, time off, the best group of people to work with(in 6 reviews)

• "Great company culture, welcoming employees at all levels(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "While we are growing at a rapid rate, a lot of the new ideas are rooted in its past ideology(in 3 reviews)

• "The pay is OK and it's pretty competitive in the Maine insurance industry, but it has to be considering it's a monoline carrier(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company to work for"

5.0

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Today is my one year anniversary with MEMIC. I do not live in the Maine area, and was unfamiliar with MEMIC when I took the position. I am so Grateful I took a chance and came on board. The culture is positive and non-discriminatory. I feel valued as both a person and an employee, it sounds cliche, but it is the truth ! The work live balance is outstanding, the benefits and pay are competitive. I would recommend anyone that is considering accepting /applying for a position to DO IT ! You will not regret it.

Cons

No place is perfect, but for me, this is as close as it gets. No specific "cons" come to mind.

Human Resources

Happy work anniversary! We’re so happy to hear you enjoy working at MEMIC. We value your hard work, keep it up!

2. "Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company runs in values and integrity and has consistent growth year over year- Knowledgeable upper management-amazing work/life balance atmosphere-promotes from within-tuition reimbursements-excellent benefits and 401K package

Cons

Working out all of the data kinks As the company is rapidly growing

Human Resources

Thanks for the review, we’re happy to hear you think so highly of MEMIC! We’re currently in the process of upgrading a few different systems in multiple departments. We are excited for these changes and all the efficiencies they will bring.

3. "I enjoyed my time there~"

Former Employee - Mailroom Team Leader in Portland, ME

I worked at MEMIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, time off, the best group of people to work with.

Cons

I cannot think of anything.

Human Resources

Thank you for your 10+ years of service, we wish you the best of luck in the future!

4. "New employee... and I'm lovingit! I enjoy the work and colloborative environment."

Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for less than a year

Pros

I do work enjoy, the people are optimistic and customer-focused. People are very welcoming

Cons

I've only been here a short while and don't yet see any cons

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share! We are so excited to hear that your experience has been so positive. We’re happy to have you on the MEMIC team.

5. "Wow, fun place to be (and work)"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at MEMIC full-time

Pros

I like the location and my boss is open to working at home and also like the benefits. Tons of time off and good system for tracking time off

Cons

Add more umbrella's for outside commuting

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re thrilled to hear how much you enjoy working at MEMIC! In regards to your Con and Advice to Management, thank you for your feedback. We will bring these suggestions to the appropriate people and see what improvements can be made. Keep up the good work, we’re glad to have you on our team!

"A company who cares"

Current Employee - IT Director in Portland, ME

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enables employees, work/life balance, training, engaging, people focused, understands people are its best commodity, has a solid mission to deliver the best products and value to its customers.

Cons

Yet to find one

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working at MEMIC! Keep up the good work, we’re glad you’re a part of the team.

"Great Company to Work For"

Manager

I have been working at MEMIC for more than 5 years

Pros

Mission of the company, great culture, supportive bosses, great teamwork, 401k (includes 5% match, discretionary contribution and profit sharing that has the potential to go up to 21.8% of your base salary), PTO.

Cons

Healthcare plan is a high deductible plan

Human Resources

We’re happy to hear you think MEMIC is a great company to work for! In regards to our Health Plans, you are correct, MEMIC does offer 3 High Deductible Health Plans. In response to employee feedback, we also began offering a PPO plan in 2019. Employees who select a High Deductible Plan also have access to contribute pre-tax dollars into a HSA account and in 2019 MEMIC began contributing a yearly match. If you have any suggestions on how we can continue to improve our benefits package, please share with Human Resources. Thanks for your positive review and your 5+ years of service!

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Senior management lead from the heart. Culture of service. Treated with respect. Limitless growth opportunity. Modern, comfortable office environment. In the beautiful Old Port!

Cons

Legacy software applications, but replacement is in progress.

Human Resources

Thanks for the positive review and suggestions, we’re glad to hear you think MEMIC is a great place to work. Thank you for your 5+ years of service!

"Excellent Culture and great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, ME

I have been working at MEMIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MEMIC has great employees who work hard and provide excellent customer service. There is a lot of opportunity for growth, I've seen many co-workers promoted across the company. I think we have a great benefit package, I particularly enjoy the 401(k) and profit sharing. I am proud to work at MEMIC.

Cons

It is difficult to see negative reviews on social media because MEMIC is a great place to work. We have grown a lot in the past few years and change can be difficult for some employees, however, I have found that it has made the company stronger.

Human Resources

Thanks for leaving us a review and we’re happy to hear MEMIC is measuring up to your expectations. As you know, everyone’s chipping in to make it just that much better. Keep up the good work!

"Toxic work environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Portland, ME

I worked at MEMIC full-time for less than a year

Pros

The actual job itself was rewarding as I loved helping injured workers receive the compensation they deserved

Cons

My manager was extremely negative and critical of me. He never gave me helpful advice and kept telling me I wasn’t the right fit for the job after only 2 months. It got so bad I got anxiety attacks just being around him.

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Your experience, however, is not consistent with the majority of reviews by MEMIC’s other employees. We’re sorry MEMIC was not the right place for you. We hope you have found a better match for your career goals and that you will work with your supervisor and senior managers should issues arise in the future.

Found 46 reviews