KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.5
MEMIC President and CEO Michael Bourque
Michael Bourque

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great w/opportunities for profit sharing and volunteerism(in 6 reviews)
  • "Pay is competitive thanks to HR market analysis and subsequent adjustments.(in 4 reviews)
  • "great people to work with(in 4 reviews)
  • "The culture at MEMIC is great.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Standing desks, decent PTO, awesome coworkers(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Jul 15, 2022 - Nurse Case Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, pay, benefits, great team

Cons

High case loads, 50 hour work weeks

1 person found this review helpful

MEMIC Response

Thank you for your positive feedback. It sounds like your team and department is a great fit for you! Flexibility and a healthy work-life balance is essential for MEMIC to continue our mission of taking care of people. We are actively looking at ways to rebalance caseloads to ensure they are fair and equitable. Transparency is one of our values, so we encourage you to reach out to your manager to make sure you are heard.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Portland's Greatest Employment Secret

May 25, 2022 - Information Technology
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most importantly MEMIC really cares about injured workers and this point is considered and emphasized constantly in discussions, meetings, etc. Excellent work culture, people are just genuinely nice. Very caring empathetic leadership team. Excellent and practical remote work policy for IT particularly and across the company. Pay is competitive thanks to HR market analysis and subsequent adjustments. People and home work life are highly valued. Strong diversity embracing culture. Management listens and is open to employee career objectives. Outstanding 401k match and yearly almost-unheard-of extra huge 401K deposit - great for those who didn't start saving early enough. MEMIC listens to employees, surveys them frequently, and implements changes based on the feedback. You have a voice at MEMIC no matter who you are or where you work. Down to earth and just really nice CEO.

Cons

Have to think hard to find any - maybe make the Brian Buru parking lot free to employees and contractors that work remotely (first come first serve) and come as needed? Had to really think to come up with something.

Continue reading

MEMIC Response

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re so glad you find MEMIC a good fit. Transparency, being conscientious and partnership are three of our core values and it’s great to hear they align with yours. With our office being in the heart of the Old Port, parking is certainly limited. We are lucky to have so many parking options within walking distance of our headquarters. While MEMIC subsidies the cost of parking, we also offer free monthly bus passes as an option.

3. 5.0

Exciting

Jun 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been here for quite awhile and am excited about the progress we're making toward the company goals. Can't wait to see what we look like in a few more years.

Cons

There's always room to get better which isn't a "con", just a reality.

1 person found this review helpful

MEMIC Response

We’re happy to hear you think MEMIC is a great place to work! Our leadership team is accessible and constantly evaluating how we can serve our employees better and meet the needs of our business partners. We appreciate your feedback.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Awesome Company to work for.

Jun 2, 2022 - Claim Specialist I
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family oriented, great work environment, excellent growth opportunities.

Cons

This company is doing very well.

MEMIC Response

We agree! MEMIC offers a fantastic work environment and really understands the need for flexibility and flex schedules to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Thank you for your part in making workers comp work better.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee

people

Apr 5, 2022 - Safety Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

remote work was not for me

SVP / External Affairs

As you noted, one of the great aspects of MEMIC are the people and sense of purpose everyone brings to the work of keeping people safe and returning to health, those who get injured in the course of work. As for remote work, we now are a hybrid workforce for most positions with many more jobs that now are full-time remote. We hope you have found what you were looking for in that regard. Best of luck.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Jan 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Business Outlook

Pros

MEMIC cares about their employees. They really work to help make you feel comfortable and safe throughout the workspace, and it truly reflects their values as a company. Also, they have generous PTO and an excellent 401k matching program.

Cons

Bonuses and substantial raises are few and far between. Promotions can be somewhat hard to come by depending on the department you are in.

SVP / External Affairs

We’re glad you find MEMIC a good fit. We’ve all done a lot of work in recent years to make ourselves as good as we can be. We also hope you’ll chat with your supervisor or HR Business Partner about the skills you need to advance your career and your compensation. Keep your eyes open, as well, for positions in other MEMIC departments.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great benefits and overall corporate culture

Apr 13, 2022 - Claims Specialist IV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great w/opportunities for profit sharing and volunteerism

Cons

Stressful, disorganized work environment in claims

Human Resources

We agree MEMIC is a special place to work and offers a wealth of career opportunities for its employees. MEMIC provides best in class benefits and superior retirement plans. MEMIC also understands the need for flexibility and provides resources for employees so they can be at their best, whether they work remote or in the office. We strive to make our company work better for all employees. A new strategic workgroup has been created to recommend new workflows and best practices for your department. We encourage you to speak with your manager to learn about these initiatives. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. Together, we are making workers’ comp work better.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great place

Feb 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits was a huge plus!

Cons

Pay wasnt as great as I hoped, would've loved to stay but I couldnt afford my bills with the salary

SVP / External Affairs

Thanks for your comments. We recognize the need to remain competitive and recently have made market adjustments for all the positions that needed attention. As you note, the benefits are very good, particularly the retirement plan. We wish you all the best and hope you'll consider a return should the opportunity arise.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Solid company

Oct 21, 2021 - Compliance Analyst in Portland, ME
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance and people

Cons

Lower end of salary spectrum, somewhat stagnant career opportunities

SVP / External Affairs

Thanks so much for your feedback. It’s always welcome. We’re glad you find the work-life balance works for you. As for your career and compensation, please chat with your supervisor or HR Business Partner about how you can continue to develop your skills for advancement and compensation. Also, please know that we recently made compensation adjustments for all the positions that needed attention as we want to remain a great place to work and build a career.

10. 5.0

great

Oct 23, 2021 - Claims Assistant in Albany, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

allows to work from home

Cons

Could be have better pay

Viewing 1 - 10 of 66 Reviews

MEMIC Reviews FAQs

MEMIC has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 79 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at MEMIC to a friend and 86% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MEMIC employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MEMIC. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

84% of MEMIC employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MEMIC 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MEMIC to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be workplace, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with MEMIC Job Seekers