KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated May 25, 2021

4.1
MEMIC President and CEO Michael Bourque
Michael Bourque
Pros
  • "Great benefits, time off, the best group of people to work with(in 6 reviews)

• "great company(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No work life balance, strict attendance policies(in 3 reviews)

• "While we are growing at a rapid rate, a lot of the new ideas are rooted in its past ideology(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Company

May 25, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recognition, benefits, management, work life balance

Cons

None that I can think of

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We agree MEMIC is a great company to work for! Our senior leadership team is constantly evaluating and learning how we can serve our employees better and meet the needs of our business partners. We appreciate your feedback.

2. 4.0

Underwriter

May 23, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment Work from home

Cons

Constant changes Uncompetitive pay Small Lack of communication

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your concerns. While we love to read the good things about MEMIC, hearing employee concerns is also important to us. MEMIC continues to grow and as such there is bound to be change. We are constantly evaluating our systems, procedures and pay to remain as competitive as possible. We encourage each other to be curious, and conscientious. When that happens, change is inevitable. As for our communication process, please reach out to your manager or the senior leadership team to share your concerns. Every organization needs change agents, so your feedback can help us to grow to be more responsive to employees and agency partners.

3. 5.0

Great Place to Work! Excellent Company Culture

Jan 25, 2021 - Quality Assurance
      Business Outlook

Pros

Significant PTO time Company Culture Exciting opportunities

Cons

The health insurance isn’t great, but most companies have adopted the high deductible plans.

Human Resources

We’re happy to hear you think MEMIC is a great place to work! Health insurance costs are a challenge which is why we offer 3 high deductible health plans and 1 PPO plan. If employees select a high deductible plan, we offer a company match into their health savings account (HSA) to use toward medical expenses. The value of a health savings account is that money goes into the account without being taxed, earns tax-free interest and is not taxed when it is withdrawn for allowable expenses. In addition, unspent HSA balances can be rolled over year after year.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good

Feb 5, 2021 - Regulatory Compliance Analyst in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work in Maine

Cons

I have no cons currently

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we all appreciate it!

5. 4.0

Good company

Dec 7, 2020 - Claims Specialist in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k matching up to 5% and decent pay

Cons

Management unaware of day to day activities and high case loads

Human Resources

One of our values at MEMIC is transparency which suggests everyone speak up when opportunities for positive change can be made. We encourage you to talk to any member of management to share your ideas and observations. That’s how we’ll get that much better. Also, we’re glad you find the 401K match of value and hopefully we’ll be able to continue additional 401K contributions through profit sharing. Thanks for being part of the MEMIC team!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent Company to work for

Mar 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Today is my one year anniversary with MEMIC. I do not live in the Maine area, and was unfamiliar with MEMIC when I took the position. I am so Grateful I took a chance and came on board. The culture is positive and non-discriminatory. I feel valued as both a person and an employee, it sounds cliche, but it is the truth ! The work live balance is outstanding, the benefits and pay are competitive. I would recommend anyone that is considering accepting /applying for a position to DO IT ! You will not regret it.

Cons

No place is perfect, but for me, this is as close as it gets. No specific "cons" come to mind.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Happy work anniversary! We’re so happy to hear you enjoy working at MEMIC. We value your hard work, keep it up!

7. 4.0

Great company

Nov 30, 2020 - Claims Associate in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management, PTO, Work-life balance, co-workers, location

Cons

the new claim system is work in progress but it is way much better than the older one

Human Resources

We’re happy to see all the positives you listed about MEMIC, we think those are pretty great too! As you mentioned, we upgraded from our legacy system earlier this year. Like any new system, there are kinks to work out but we are excited about all the efficiencies this new system will bring.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

High workload expectations

Dec 3, 2020 - Claims Specialist II in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork, culture, good benefits, decent pay once you prove yourself

Cons

No work life balance, strict attendance policies.

Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback and we’re sorry that all the pros you cited weren’t enough to keep you with us. According to industry statistics, MEMIC claim staff have far fewer cases per person than most other carriers. As for attendance requirements, the injured workers that rely on us need to have people available when they call. In fact, one of the common compliments we get is that we go the extra mile and respond quickly when people need assistance. That’s why being reliably available is so important. We wish you well with your career.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best company to work for

Oct 18, 2019 - Premium Auditor in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company runs in values and integrity and has consistent growth year over year- Knowledgeable upper management-amazing work/life balance atmosphere-promotes from within-tuition reimbursements-excellent benefits and 401K package

Cons

Working out all of the data kinks As the company is rapidly growing

Human Resources

Thanks for the review, we’re happy to hear you think so highly of MEMIC! We’re currently in the process of upgrading a few different systems in multiple departments. We are excited for these changes and all the efficiencies they will bring.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent Culture and great people!

Apr 22, 2019 - Anonymous in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

MEMIC has great employees who work hard and provide excellent customer service. There is a lot of opportunity for growth, I've seen many co-workers promoted across the company. I think we have a great benefit package, I particularly enjoy the 401(k) and profit sharing. I am proud to work at MEMIC.

Cons

It is difficult to see negative reviews on social media because MEMIC is a great place to work. We have grown a lot in the past few years and change can be difficult for some employees, however, I have found that it has made the company stronger.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for leaving us a review and we’re happy to hear MEMIC is measuring up to your expectations. As you know, everyone’s chipping in to make it just that much better. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews