Mercy Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Mercy Health System President & CEO Javon Bea President
Javon Bea President

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • too many people in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• They're concerned with policies and procedures that hinder my job but protects the hospital from potential lawsuits - such is the culture of healthcare (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Mercy Health System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Health system. I enjoy going to work.

Cons

Cafeteria isnt top notch but they try.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

2. "Autocratic, dictatorial, and treats all employees as if they are expendable."

I have been working at Mercy Health System part-time

Pros

Fair (not good but reasonable) benefits available.

Cons

I have worked for this system for over two decades and have witnessed a steady decline in the appreciation shown for professional staff of all levels. The pay scale for nurses is embarrassingly low, MLP's and physicians are not much better but they are the "only game in town" due to collusion with the other major hospital in the area. They have successfully distanced the patients from their physician to the point that no one actually has a "personal physician". They have done nothing to address the problem of bed control or overuse of the ER in any of the facilities in the midwest. Ever since the Sisters of Mercy were effectively removed from the Board of Directors the remaining Administrative staff has proven that they know nothing about human relations. They treat their employees with marginal appreciation and then are surprised (or hostile) when the employees are less than enthusiastic about their jobs. Some of this is a result of government interference in the practice of health care but the corporate response earns them an F.

Advice to Management

I would not recommend SW MO as a practice location for any reason other than to be close to family.

3. "The job description was fairly easy however the management wasn't clear nor fair."

Former Employee - Medical Records
    Former Employee - Medical Records

I worked at Mercy Health System (More than a year)

Pros

The overtime is great if you get and it and the pay is ok

Cons

The place needs a rehab, it's an old hospital and the conditions aren't that good. The staff needs a new outlook and perspective along with more organizational skills

4. "Friendly work environment yet needs more structural organizations"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is catholic based non profit organizations and generally administrative people are caring and friendly too employees.

Cons

Many times, there are confusions due to lack of work allocations among employees. This causes unnecessary conflicts and misunderstandings.

Advice to Management

There must be clear explanation on daily responsibility for each employee in order for the employees to efficiently handle their job instead of carrying it over to the next shift

5. "Marketing"

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Great manager, good benefits, good work/life balance.

Cons

Extensive commuting between the different facilities

6. "Physician , DO"

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Geriatric population, Call from home 1 X per month , outpatient, PACE program,

Cons

Parent company- Trinity Health applies many policies and procedures which are not discussed or piloted with their employees

7. "service oriented, struggling"

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

mission based, ethical practices in healthcare delivery

Cons

funding concerns, medicaid roll back possibility, resources

8. "n/a"

Pros

mission-centric, friendly, team-oriented, helpful, approachable staff

Cons

limited financially, top-down approach

"UR Specialist, RN"

Current Employee - UR Specialist, RN in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - UR Specialist, RN in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company's overall vision of providing care to underprivileged is honorable and felt in the location that I am employed. I cannot speak for other sites. I have been an employee for just over 8 months and I love my job. I feel constant support and encouragement from my Colleagues and my Manager. My department works very well together in completing our job. Acquiring any additional certifications or education is for the most part covered by the company. My manager is constantly doing what she can to support our team, keep us engaged and recognized for our roles in the success of the company. My position is unique in that I work from home, I am not monitored or micromanaged. I am treated as a professional and respected for my experience and given autonomy to do my job how I want. As long as I am following company standards and maintaining insurance or CMS guidelines.

Cons

Orientation was very fast. Although I was slowly brought up to full productivity, I was not given much time in person with my manager or colleagues to learn some of the little details of the job that end up being important in the long run. I work remotely therefore communication can sometimes be challenging. There isn't a specific job description or manual to refer to, which may not be important to others, but I feel would have been beneficial to me or to any new employee. Changes in policy or specific duties can happen very fast and sometimes with that there can be confusion.

Advice to Management

It takes all working together cohesively to make a well oiled running machine. One bolt or one belt breaking can cause the whole engine to shut down. Listen to your employees and their concerns no matter how little they may seem to you. We are all together one company but remember that we are also individuals who may learn or adapt to changes differently. Have patience and understanding that we all may need to adjust to the changes that are coming with healthcare now and in the immediate future.

10. "Satisfactory"

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Great benefits, retirement, PTO, sick time, etc. Salaries are acceptable.

Cons

Mission of Mercy seems to be skewed.

Advice to Management

None