MuleSoft Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
MuleSoft President & CEO Greg Schott
Greg Schott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I realize saying a company has great people is subjective, but the more people I grow to know at this company, the more I love it (in 15 reviews)

• There are crazy smart people here but they are also incredibly humble and pleasant to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is tricky but offset by impact and opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• If you want a 9-5 or 9-6 then don't bother (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Own and drive product in high growth environment"

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at MuleSoft for quite a while and have spent ~5 years in product management roles here. I've witnessed multiple iterations of the company from the initial "this seems cool" phase, through a few pivots, to the last few years, where we've really found product/market fit and high growth. I will try to provide some perspective here on life from a product management perspective for prospective newcomers.

One of the best things at MuleSoft is the team. There is a maniacal focus on hiring, culture and people from our CEO. I believe this has a major impact in getting the company where it is today. We have a top notch executive and management team. So, even though we went through some product iterations early on that failed, we had the right people, pivoted, and ended up in a great spot. The team has continued to improve as well, with our new CPO joining last year in February. As we scaled, we found that we needed to bring engineering, product management, UX, and documentation more closely together and under one umbrella. This is an extremely challenging role given the technical nature of our products. But, I believe it's been extremely successful in terms of really upping the bar on strategy, process, experience, culture and hiring.

Within the product management team specifically, the team itself is really solid. Everyone is great to work with, smart, and hard working. I would work with every one of them again (I don't say this lightly).

In addition to the people, the company has a very strong vision and wants to tackle a lot of large problems. This is great from a product management perspective:
    - You're encouraged to think big, and tackle big problems.
    - You can drive products with global reach into the 1000+ customer base
    - Opportunity to create greenfield products and major revisions to existing ones
    - Great customers and great sales team
    - Work with new and interesting technology
    - Fast career growth with expanding product portfolio

You're really CEO of the product (but, don't expect this to be easy).

Cons

The good news is that you're CEO of the product. The bad news is: you're CEO of the product. If you are not a good multi-tasker who can simultaneously handle interrupts, demanding customers, design products, hiring, putting processes in place, etc., then MuleSoft is not the place for you. Expect to build a market defining product and all that it entails. You have to like not only the vision/strategy, but building the company, doing project management, helping with marketing materials, etc. I hope this gets easier as the company grows, but under such high growth, it's part and parcel of the job.

Hiring can sometimes be slow. This is partly because there is a lot going on, but partly because we need to improve our process. (There is significant work happening here)

Company needs to become more data driven.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in resources, infrastructure, management, etc so things can scale more easily

Apr 5, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

I love how you put it—you're the CEO of your product. Ownership is a core value, and I'm so glad you feel that in your role. Thank you for all the work you've put into this company for the past... More

"Great Company, Great Leadership, Great Culture"

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at MuleSoft for more than 4 years was an amazing experience. I was able to build the Sales Operations team from the ground up. Sales Ops is an integral part of the Company and for those who are interested in a real start up culture, working with a great team, confidence in the leadership of the company, I would recommend working at MuleSoft. The Sales Ops team specifically was a great team to work with. There is a lot of freedom in offering up creative and unique solutions not just to deals but also to internal processes for both the team and the overall field sales team. There is a lot of autonomy given to those who have proven to know what they are doing and be trusted to escalate issues when necessary.

Some have said there are no career advancement opportunities for current employees at MuleSoft. To that, I say - in my 4+ years at MuleSoft I was promoted twice and got multiple pay increases and additional stock grants. MuleSoft rewards and promotes those who not only work for it and deserve it but also those who take initiative in building their own career path. MuleSoft maintains a startup culture (which is not easy to do at their current size) and that culture is fantastic for fostering great teamwork, friendships and an overall fun place to work. Part of the startup culture is that there isn’t a pre-defined career path for every role, many times someone being hired is the first to be hired in that role and have to work with their management to actively build that path for the first time.

With regards to previous reviews on the lack of work life balance at MuleSoft, no one works harder or longer at MuleSoft than the CEO or the President. They are constantly available and willing to do whatever it takes to help the company or any employees both professionally and personally. They care about each and every person who works or worked at the company. The success of the company has been due to those willing to take ownership of their role and the startup culture where often times there is more to be done than can be done in an 8 hour day. This life isn't for everyone but for those who see their individual success tied to the success of the company, working long hours with great people is part of the fun. I’ve made some of my best friends from my time working at MuleSoft in large part because I was there for more than the normal 8 hour day. This isn't a company for anyone who thinks any job is "below them" and that is evident from the top down.

Cons

Some managers at MuleSoft are too hesitant in letting people go when its obvious they are not the right fit or pulling their weight. I saw B and C level players that were not adding value to the team in their assigned responsibilities but were causing a lot of team morale issues as a result of their constant complaining to other team members. These people were kept at the Company in hopes they would improve after multiple conversations and reviews giving feedback on their performance but that was rarely the case.

"Tough Selling Environment"

I worked at MuleSoft full-time

Pros

Incredibly intelligent and talented team
    Good Benefits
    Good Product Offering

Cons

Over-crowded territories with high percentage of reps not hitting targets

"The only challenge here is dealing with all of the bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can sit around doing nothing a lot of the time, and still get as much done as everyone else.
    Free food 3 times a week
    Not everyone smells like BO

Cons

* Your job (as an engineer) will be to get people to do stuff for you, and to tell people what you are doing. You'll do almost no engineering work.
    * Saturday deploy (that is manual, and takes hours)
    * Lack of managers with an engineering background
    * Lack of good decision making from higher-ups
    * Too many meetings (I get maybe 2 hours of focused time)
    * Lack of focus on issues, rather focus on sellable marketing
    * No team cohesion (every team is a wild west)
    * Everything moves slowly
    * Teams use scrum horribly wrong, causing even more wasted time

Honestly, everything that happens here is a con. Any time some issue happens in the company, policy is always the solution. Not fixing the actual problem, but just adding more process to slow stuff down even more.

The teams are completely disorganized. Too many people trying to do the same work means everyone needs to understand it all, so there are always meetings to involve everyone.

There is no database guru, so it's a mess.

Advice to Management

Get rid of half of you... you're not adding benefit. There are TOO many people who have their hands in too many things, so nothing gets done. Having meetings every hour of every day isn't productive.

Stop thinking you can bandaid everything. Work with your engineers to come up with real solutions, not garbage fixes.

Hire more women, since it sucks how much of a boy's club it is up there. If you can't get any to accept offers, maybe try offering more money?

Sep 19, 2017 – CEO

This was tough to read, and I wish you would have brought this feedback to me or anyone on the leadership team. We use open and honest feedback in the form of radical candor and our anonymous... More

"If you're ready to challenge yourself to really be the best you can be, work here"

Current Employee - Corporate Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at MuleSoft for over a year, and the longer I'm here, the more I feel like I want to accomplish in the company. There is so much to do (which is a good thing!) and so many possibilities and opportunities, that I'm excited at the prospect of all the ways I can make a lasting impact on the company. The reason there's so much to do is because the company is so transparent about where we can be better, and everyone is empowered to take ownership of those things to drive creative solutions. I feel like a broken record saying "I learn so much here everyday" but it's true, and it's something I hear from everyone I speak to at the company. This is the kind of place where I feel like my experience here will prepare me to do anything—it's that good. I'm surrounded by the smartest, most business savvy, and hardest working people I've ever worked with. It's extremely challenging, fast-paced work, and everyone's role has that weight to it. I also laugh a lot. People are genuinely friendly and kind, and I feel truly supported by my colleagues in every department. It's the kind of place you wish you found sooner.

Cons

Being at a company that pushes you to be your absolute best means that you will learn things about yourself and your work that no one ever had the time, compassion, or candor to tell you before. It can be really uncomfortable, and at times disheartening, to expose yourself to constructive criticism so openly. What I'm saying is, if you're not ready to actually challenge yourself, challenge the way you've always do things, and push beyond your status quo, then you'll see those things as cons, instead of huge positives. Working here is very hard work, and with that comes rewards that you never thought were possible. This company is about giving you exponential personal growth and career development by doing the hard work needed to get there.

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to build our culture and scale it globally. Keep doing MeetUp (our annual all-company offsite)—it was by far the best experience I've had as an employee at any company I've worked for. Stay accessible and approachable.

Jul 25, 2017 – Vice President, Corporate Marketing

It's great to hear about your experience! Building a culture where we challenge while supporting each other is so important to us as we grow and scale the company. We plan to have our annual MeetUp... More

"Fantastic Company to Work For."

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Mulesoft was my first job out of university and initially went into an Account Development role. Pretty quickly it was apparent that the role was not a good fit for me. Instead of parting ways, I was able to work with Mulesoft in moving to another part of the business which suited me better and have since really enjoyed.

After around a year working in Sales Ops in London, I was given the option to move to the HQ in San Francisco, an opportunity I could not turn down!

We genuinely have a great and inspiring CFO that leads the finance group which Sales Ops falls under.

Our team has been a pretty lean one, meaning that if you want to own something and have the drive to do it, you are trusted to do so. This makes you feel like you can really have an impact within the company.

The level of accountability you get in the Sales Ops team is really high, whether you are representing the team for a region or you own something such as fixing or improving a process or a system. This can be daunting at times but again, it makes you feel like a trusted member of the team.

People who work at Mulesoft are truly of the highest Caliber.

Cons

Because of the level of ownership and accountability you tend to get at MuleSoft, it can be hard to switch off and work normal hours. I guess that just shows how invested in the company you get.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people.

Aug 1, 2017 – CFO

Thank you for your feedback. Also for your commitment to our collective success and willingness to DWIT to get us there. I'm happy you found your fit and enjoy your work. Looking forward to... More

7. "Solving a hard problem with a lot of potential"

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the honor to witness the tremendous growth of MuleSoft from 200ish people to ~1k. The product sits right in the center of the hardest IT problem that slows down digital transformation of top companies in the world - integration. The potential is tremendous, even after IPO. CEO, Greg Schott, focuses relentlessly on building and maintaining a great culture. The sales & marketing engine is also top-notch in the enterprise space.

Cons

It's a rocket ship - sometimes it's rocky.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating

Jul 31, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for being a part of the team to take us through such formative years for the company, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We won’t lose sight of the importance of... More

"Poor Engineering Managemnt"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People seems to be nice.

Cons

The engineering leadership has fair management skills, but they lack technical skills and up-to-date knowledges. They think they are building state-of-art products, but, in fact, they are just fooling those idiot executives. The smokeless political battles from certain groups of people are driving away real talents and squeezing the spaces for others.

Advice to Management

Form a strong team, keep the real talents, not the talkies. Hire some guy with strong technical background and get rid of those overpaid and over-appreciated people from the certain groups.

Jul 25, 2017 – Software Engineer

I'm sorry it sounds like you had a bad experience. From my perspective, the project I am working on is for sure state of the art. Our team is working with Kubernetes, Docker and Helm. We are building... More

"Solution Consultant Manager"

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time

Pros

- Great culture
    - Incredible growth opportunity
    - Great team
    - 0 turnover in 5 years in the team

Cons

Work/Life balance is tricky but offset by impact and opportunities. Not the place for someone that just wants an 8-5 job.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing growing and coaching the team.

Jun 5, 2017 – Talent marketing

Thanks for your review, and glad you're enjoying working with the same awesome people for 5+ years. Keep up the great work!

"Not good for a software architect"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and compensation, very interesting technology, good customer base

Cons

Technical people treated miserably on the projects, very poor work/life balance, brainwashing all-sales-oriented culture, terrible values and culture (if any)

Advice to Management

Start respecting technical work and stop the invasive sales-related brainwashing. Sharing the company's mission with techies is ok. Overwhelming their agenda with useless accomplishments of that nature, basically forcing them to work in their spare time to get done with THEIR duties, is NOT ok. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to educate sales representatives and delivery managers to respect technical staff, instead of treating them like dogs.

Jul 15, 2017 – VP Services, Americas

I'm really sorry to hear this feedback, and that you feel you aren't treated well at MuleSoft. Respect for each other is fundamental to our culture and to our success as a team. I would genuinely... More