MuleSoft Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
MuleSoft President & CEO Greg Schott
Greg Schott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I realize saying a company has great people is subjective, but the more people I grow to know at this company, the more I love it (in 14 reviews)

• There are crazy smart people here but they are also incredibly humble and pleasant to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is tricky but offset by impact and opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• If you want a 9-5 or 9-6 then don't bother (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Own and drive product in high growth environment"

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at MuleSoft for quite a while and have spent ~5 years in product management roles here. I've witnessed multiple iterations of the company from the initial "this seems cool" phase, through a few pivots, to the last few years, where we've really found product/market fit and high growth. I will try to provide some perspective here on life from a product management perspective for prospective newcomers.

One of the best things at MuleSoft is the team. There is a maniacal focus on hiring, culture and people from our CEO. I believe this has a major impact in getting the company where it is today. We have a top notch executive and management team. So, even though we went through some product iterations early on that failed, we had the right people, pivoted, and ended up in a great spot. The team has continued to improve as well, with our new CPO joining last year in February. As we scaled, we found that we needed to bring engineering, product management, UX, and documentation more closely together and under one umbrella. This is an extremely challenging role given the technical nature of our products. But, I believe it's been extremely successful in terms of really upping the bar on strategy, process, experience, culture and hiring.

Within the product management team specifically, the team itself is really solid. Everyone is great to work with, smart, and hard working. I would work with every one of them again (I don't say this lightly).

In addition to the people, the company has a very strong vision and wants to tackle a lot of large problems. This is great from a product management perspective:
    - You're encouraged to think big, and tackle big problems.
    - You can drive products with global reach into the 1000+ customer base
    - Opportunity to create greenfield products and major revisions to existing ones
    - Great customers and great sales team
    - Work with new and interesting technology
    - Fast career growth with expanding product portfolio

You're really CEO of the product (but, don't expect this to be easy).

Cons

The good news is that you're CEO of the product. The bad news is: you're CEO of the product. If you are not a good multi-tasker who can simultaneously handle interrupts, demanding customers, design products, hiring, putting processes in place, etc., then MuleSoft is not the place for you. Expect to build a market defining product and all that it entails. You have to like not only the vision/strategy, but building the company, doing project management, helping with marketing materials, etc. I hope this gets easier as the company grows, but under such high growth, it's part and parcel of the job.

Hiring can sometimes be slow. This is partly because there is a lot going on, but partly because we need to improve our process. (There is significant work happening here)

Company needs to become more data driven.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in resources, infrastructure, management, etc so things can scale more easily

Apr 5, 2017 – Chief Product Officer

I love how you put it—you're the CEO of your product. Ownership is a core value, and I'm so glad you feel that in your role. Thank you for all the work you've put into this company for the past... More

"Unique opportunity for solving challenging problems"

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager, Product Management Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Exciting challenges: The breadth and scale of our customers and the vast range of application for our technology present the business and employees with a truly unique and evolving set of challenges to solve. It's recognized here that there's always a better way to do things, and that way changes over time. There's no sacred cows - not even your own. I have an appropriate level of autonomy and support to craft my vision for solving business challenges and iterate to improve.

2) You can't ask for better colleagues: I've worked in both product marketing and product management teams, and I get to work daily with people from every function and region in the organization -this is an incredibly solid bunch of people who aren't just smart and motivated, but have diverse experiences and opinions, and who prioritize success of business and customers over personal gain.

3) Good leadership: Leaders are intense, ask a lot of probing questions, and push for aggressive goals (I'd be concerned if they didn't), but they also listen, are respectful and open to change, and make logical, fact-based decisions. From my experience, leaders genuinely care and do their best to do the right thing by employees, customers and the company.

Cons

This isn't easy and it's not for everyone. Those who are successful in the MuleSoft product team tend to have a vision and chart a clear course, but are also open to new ideas and opinions. They are willing and able to broker compromises and/or change direction as needed when situations or facts change. How will you know if MuleSoft is a good fit? Reviews like this can really only tell you so much. If/when you come in for an interview you'll have the opportunity to meet people and see for yourself.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in infrastructure and automation so more time can be spent on the really important issues and opportunities.

May 24, 2017 – VP Product Management

Really appreciate your detailed review and feedback ... thanks for sharing. This is no doubt we work in a challenging environment and that pushes and grows our people. We look right in the face of... More

3. "Don't be fooled..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some truly amazing people. I’ve never been so close to my team and co-workers like I was here.

From decor to location, the SF office is very well managed, organized, and aesthetically pleasing.

Pretty good perks: lunches, snacks, various outings (rafting & baseball games).

Assuming everything works out, there is a good market opportunity and the product seems solid.

Cons

NO WORK FROM HOME and no assistance on your commute in. Unimpressive benefit offerings.

In general, the culture is aggressive and pretentious. Lots of intense personalities. And if you didn’t go to an ivy league school, don’t even bother applying. They immediately judge you based on pedigree and what your GPA was (even if you graduated 10+ years ago). There are some individuals that were hired because they have everything MuleSoft requires on paper, but they are absolutely incompetent in their jobs.

Complete lack of diversity, just take a look at the executive team. Women are also underrepresented and treated poorly. A number of women in the sales organization have experienced inappropriate/unprofessional behavior by the head of sales, but nothing has been done.

MuleSoft focuses on hiring the best of the best and subject matter experts. The truth is those SMEs must fall in line with senior leadership and the CEO. Senior leadership lives in fear of the CEO, they bow down and proceed with his wishes even when they know he is taking the wrong route (some admit this openly to their teams which makes you feel so hopeless). The CEO is very junior and unable to distribute responsibility and decision making, he thinks he knows everything. Teams experience constant frustration and inevitability are forced to implement a process that hinders the business and doesn't involve the brilliant and creative experts they hired that actually own the thing.

Most people are doing more than one job. You will come in thinking you know what your role is and very quickly it will change into something else that you did not sign on for. More and more work will get piled on because attrition is high and efficiency low, and either they don’t want to address the issue head on or they don’t want to fight the CEO to get the right candidate in the door. Then they’ll cover it up by calling it career growth. In some cases, this is straight up overwhelming and in others, you will be flat out moving backward in your career. On top of that, this perpetuates the creation of unready, weak managers that cannot provide guidance and growth paths for their teams.

Everything starts with a clean sheet. This may or may not be appealing to different people. In general, though, you will constantly reinvent the wheel to solve something trivial. It’s very time-consuming, frustrating, and overall miserably uninspiring.

Advice to Management

Drink your own champagne by integrating all of your tools internally. It’s embarrassing that an integration company is resistant to implementing tools and building out full integration.

To CEO: Find a mentor or coach. Lose the “my way or the highway” mentality. Get out of the way, let the amazing people you hired do their jobs, you will be so impressed and surprised by what they can accomplish. Disperse decision making at all levels. There is nothing more empowering than having the ability to make a difficult decision on your own and have the support behind you to do so (not to mention that it goes back to the culture of ownership). Focus on diversity and the inclusion of women. Drop the GPA requirement unless they’re fresh out of school and have no work experience. Hire great talent, not great resumes.

To senior leadership: Hold the CEO accountable for embodying the other half of radical candor: receiving feedback. And then get him to act on that feedback. Empower your teams and have their backs.

4. "Poor Engineering Managemnt"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People seems to be nice.

Cons

The engineering leadership has fair management skills, but they lack technical skills and up-to-date knowledges. They think they are building state-of-art products, but, in fact, they are just fooling those idiot executives. The smokeless political battles from certain groups of people are driving away real talents and squeezing the spaces for others.

Advice to Management

Form a strong team, keep the real talents, not the talkies. Hire some guy with strong technical background and get rid of those overpaid and over-appreciated people from the certain groups.

"Not good for a software architect"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and compensation, very interesting technology, good customer base

Cons

Technical people treated miserably on the projects, very poor work/life balance, brainwashing all-sales-oriented culture, terrible values and culture (if any)

Advice to Management

Start respecting technical work and stop the invasive sales-related brainwashing. Sharing the company's mission with techies is ok. Overwhelming their agenda with useless accomplishments of that nature, basically forcing them to work in their spare time to get done with THEIR duties, is NOT ok. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to educate sales representatives and delivery managers to respect technical staff, instead of treating them like dogs.

Jul 15, 2017 – VP Services, Americas

I'm really sorry to hear this feedback, and that you feel you aren't treated well at MuleSoft. Respect for each other is fundamental to our culture and to our success as a team. I would genuinely... More

"Poor company, great people"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my finance and APAC coworkers at MuleSoft were the only thing that kept me there so long. There was a sense of teamwork and shared responsibility.

Cons

-The job description was inaccurate. It was sold to me as: working on critical reporting; developing Salesforce to automate our processes; and work on order processing. In under a year the job was 90% order processing- copy+pasting values from Excel, and manually checking field values on the opportunity. No recommendations to improve the process were taken seriously.

-Career growth was non-existent. In the 2.5 years I was at the company I didn't receive yearly goals ever. I had *two* quarterly reviews in the 10 quarters I was there. The company keeps hidden the requirements for raises and promotions- seemingly to keep employees where they are at.

-Management was unreliable. Business issues could be solved in under a day. Issues involving employees' pay, careers, advancement took unconscionably long (1.5 years for the first raise, 5.5 months for transfer). The only reasons offered were dodges.

- The vast majority of people I supported didn't want to be on my team. They wanted a someone to shutup pickup after them. Passing the buck was the name of the game for those ahead in the process.

-The company isn't proactive about solving problems. Finance in particular under invests in its tools and team. The job became manual because the company grew and no reasonable investments were made in our technology or team size. Congrats on having the lowest expense...

Advice to Management

Prioritize your current employees and your attrition rate won't be monstrous. Employee issues should be considered business critical issues.

Jul 14, 2017 – Vice President, Sales and Financial Operations

It sounds like you have a lot that you're upset about, and I'm sorry you didn't feel that you could bring these concerns forward while you were with us. It’s particularly upsetting given that your... More

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MuleSoft sets the bar when it comes to radical candor. I've never felt more challenged and well-taken care by my employer.

Cons

MuleSoft is filled with very passionate, hard working people and, consequently, Muleys have a tendency to work well over the 9-5 window.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing - transparency and radical candor go a long way :)

Apr 25, 2017 – Talent marketing

Thanks for sharing your review and feedback. Keep up the great work!

"Great company to work for and learn tons"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MuleSoft is a great collaborative environment that is hiring really fast. I work with very smart people who challenge me daily. Unlimited PTO.

Cons

My immediate team is really small.

Apr 12, 2017 – Talent marketing

Thanks for the review! Keep up the great work.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture! Great leadership. A very innovative and disruptive company that is transforming the business landscape.

Cons

We should be growing even faster!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Feb 7, 2017

Thanks for sharing your experience recruiting for MuleSoft! Our journey through hyper growth is just beginning and your enthusiasm will shine through as you engage with candidates. Keep it up!

"Product Managers stay away from the narcissistic CPO"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product has the right market fit
    One of the best Sales teams in the valley
    Office is pretty nice

Cons

The Product team changed leadership in early 2016. Since then 10 members of the PM team (8 PMs, 1 UX and 1 Docs) have left, and 5 key engineering leaders have left. All mostly because of the CPO. He publicly humiliates people, berates them, and mocks people and teams in their absence. He refuses to listen and tries to play the 'alpha male' in which he seems to have the best opinions and answers. I have personally witnessed the culture shift in the PM organization, and am very sad to say it's going to take the company down if not addressed.

Advice to Management

8 PMs, including directors, have left the company in 2016. And many of the remaining 6 PMs are on the verge of leaving as well. My advice is to reevaluate the CPO before he takes the company down. I write this review with good intentions toward the company, hoping the problem is fixed before it's too late.

Dec 22, 2016 – Director of Product Management

When a friend told me about this review, I have to say I was kind of shocked. I've been at MuleSoft in the Product org for 4+ years, and I've worked with our CPO since he joined this year. I've been... More